[Shinyama Pavilion] Well, if you insist… [Solo]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Postby Elhaym on June 15th, 2011, 4:11 am

3rd Day of Summer, 511 AV

Elhaym yawned atop her perch, legs dangling from a stretch of stone fencing within the courtyard. The sun would rise soon, and by rights she should be asleep. Her uniform was rumbled and damp with sweat, a byproduct of an entire day spent within the Pavilion. Her schedule was a bit different than most Acolyte's, yet most of her days were spent precisely as she had today. She traced the horizon with her eyes, sighing. She wasn't going to wait much longer. As if on queue, a familiar form strode through the open gateway and into the courtyard.

"Good, you came." the young man said, his posture carrying a sense of ease and awareness. He held a thin bundle in each hand wrapped in cloth, and tied with a red cord.

"Tomo, what is this about? I'm tired." Elhaym groaned, hopping down from the fence and striding towards him. After a few steps she straightened her back and imitated his swagger. She would not be outdone!

"Take it." He said in that same tone, tossing her one of the bundles. Just like him to ignore her questions and act so high and mighty. She had heard he would likely be summoned for his Awakening soon. He didn't have to act like he was already a Shinya though. Elhaym somehow managed to snort in disgust and sigh at the same time, but she unwrapped the cloth. Inside the bundle was a wooden practice sword comprised of several thin strips of wood bound together with a thin cord. She'd seen it's like hundreds of times during her weapons training.

"What...?"

"Three nights ago, I saw you in the Monastery with a sword. You were waving it around like a bludgeon and looked a fool, but you were trying. I've noticed you no longer put your heart into your training with the tonfa. Why have you chosen the sword, but not begun using it in the class room?"

"Oh gods."
Elhaym said, turning her head to the side. She was sure she had been alone out there. She really had tried, but her training had dissolved into jumping around and performing imitations of techniques any serious swordsman would have laughed at. It had been fun though. And now, embarrassing. He didn't seem to be judging her though. As much as she disliked those beady little eyes and that silly looking shaved forehead and top knot, Tomo was a friend. He had been there for her in his own way since the first day she arrived. Especially the first day. "I feel connected to her when I use it. It gives me… hope. Like a reminder of what I might be able to do. That's all."

Elhaym didn't have to explain who her was. Tomo knew her past well enough. He studied her for a moment, then nodded in acquiescence. "If you insist on learning the way of the blade, I can't abide you doing it so... halfassed."

Tomo grinned as he spoke the last bit. Elhaym raised her eyebrows at his words; had he ever said anything that wasn't fit for the dinner table with every grandmother in Lhavit present? She didn't think so.

Tomo tossed the cloth aside and held his blade aloft, settling into the smooth two handed sword stance she had witnessed him use countless times. She mimicked his readiness, holding her wooden blade loosely at her side. Her body was turned slightly, with her left arm in front of her as if a shield while the blade lounged to her right. Their stances couldn't have been more different.

"Interesting. Someone has taught you the Lioness Lays in Wait… I thought you knew nothing. Show me what else you know, Elhaym."

Elhaym wasn't really sure what he was talking about, but he seemed interested now at least. She was tired for truth, but Tomo was a peerless swordsman among the Acolytes at least and a chance for him to show her some of his techniques was not to be taken lightly. He at least would not punish her for failure the way the instructors did. With a shrug, she stepped forward and brought her sword in a quick arc that would slice through his left shoulder. Her eyes couldn't even follow the movement as their weapons locked and moved in circles, but in an instant she held nothing and her blade rattled on the ground.

"Guh, that was familiar…" she grumbled, if a thought could grumble. Bending to pick up her blade, she stepped back and resumed her stance.

"You will not learn if I allow you to make mistakes that would cost you your life in a real battle. Again. Devise a way to retain your blade."

Elhaym nodded. She could appreciate this kind of teaching. She remembered speaking those exact words to him when he approached her about learning her way in the martial arts so many months ago. She flew forward, a guttural cry indicating her assault.
Last edited by Elhaym on June 17th, 2011, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Elhaym
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind.

Words: 567762
Joined roleplay: August 16th, 2010, 4:25 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on June 16th, 2011, 3:14 pm

As Elhaym's blade skittered to the ground for perhaps the tenth time, frustration truly set in. She had no delusion that she knew how to handle a sword, but old habits died hard and she was not in the habit of losing. Letting loose a string of curses that she hadn't indulged the use of for quite some time, she snatched her practice sword up and leaned on it as if it were a cane. Her chest rose and fell rapidly, and sweat stung at her eyes.

"I don't know what to do." She grunted, raising her head to meet his gaze. The son of a bitch didn't even look tired. She wasn't sure he had even moved save swirling his arms around. Envy flared, and she did her best to remind herself of the times she had put him on the ground during Dian Shai's martial arts classes. That helped.

Tomo did move, finally. He relaxed a bit, holding his wooden blade aloft and examining the wound strips of wood as he spoke. "You're a horrible swordsman. Why are you trying to overpower me with your sword alone when you know you cannot? You're not made of wood; I've seen you move like water when you want to. Dance with me, Elhaym."

Elhaym stared hard at Tomo as he re-assumed his stance. Somehow this pretentious bastard always knew exactly what to say to inspire her, though it she wasn't sure he knew it was inspiration to crack him over the head. Either way he was right. In this situation, she could not strike like a hammer. She had to strike like a whip. With sword in hand she lurched forward much the same as before, and just as before her blade met his in an instant stalemate. Yet just as she would have her blade yanked away, Elhaym shifted her feet and began to move her body to the side. The movement aided her more than any real swordplay, and instead of fighting his strength the found herself being guided by it. Elhaym twirled to the side while retaining her blade, and awkwardly thrust her blade forward. The positioning was the easy part, but trying to maneuver the weapon in such close quarters when she was used to her fists was hard.

Of course he swatted her thrust aside and turned to face her, but a simple nod caused Elhaym to swell with pride. And embarrassment shortly thereafter. Like she had anything to prove to him!

"What you did, that is called the Peony Floats on the Tempest. It isn't really a technique, so to speak, but an idea. You were trying to fight against a tempest, knowing it was futile. Yet if you allow yourself to be taken away, you can use the tempest to your own advantage. That is the idea, anyway. I myself don't have the legs for it, but you're quite agile Elhaym."

She quietly muttered her thanks for his praise, and they resumed. Tomo took the offensive now, and Elhaym soon found that even with this newfound tendency to dart around and to the side of his strikes rather than meet his blade head on she was at a disadvantage. She drew in close to strike, but found her blade trapped and her agility useless when he deftly swatted her on the shoulder or thigh.

Elhaym resorted to quick attacks, like a massive army sending out skirmishers. She would lunge forward and strike, and float away on the tempest before Tomo could strike her after batting away her strike. In one series of clashes, Tomo forced his way in close and swung with such force that Elhaym was sure it would take her head of. She bent backwards at the waist and knees, leaning so far back she began to flail her arms and was sure her head would touch the ground. It took every ounce of strength her thick body could muster to thrust herself back upright, but she gleaned a small amount of satisfaction that in her flailing for balance she caught the edge of his robe with the tip of her sword. Stumbling forward she even managed to make him take a step or two back before her luck ran dry. He struck twice, slapping the training sword from her hand and then again lightly on the top of her head.

Elhaym couldn't help but laugh, standing there and utterly exhausted with her sword on the ground and his blade resting gently on the crown of her head. Tomo actually smiled.

"You're a good teacher… Dian Udasai must be an amazing swordsman to have shown you so much." Elhaym said inbetween breaths, pacing towards her fallen weapon and taking it back in hand.

"Oh, Dian Udasai is a decent swordsman, but he prefers the quarterstaff to a sword. Myself, I have a different teacher when it comes to the blade."

"Huh…"
Elhaym thought as she readied herself again. Tomo and Udasai were all but inseparable, she didn't think she'd ever seen him with another Shinya teacher. The thought barely had time to digest before Tomo was upon her, and as she began to float upon the tempest that stray thought was consumed and cast into the wind.
Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Elhaym on June 17th, 2011, 10:03 am

Tomo showed her many forms as they went along, but Elhaym had found it hard to digest any of them despite their simplicity. It was all she could do to keep awkwardly lash out with her weapon, much less do anything of merit. If not her bodies agility, she wouldn't have been much more of a challenge than a training dummy. Still Tomo tried, showing her Stilling the Sparrow's Wings and Parting the Leaf among others. Still, his lessons had become too complicated for his temporary student.

Elhaym waved her hand for him to stop, and wheezed as she straightened her back and sucked in a mouthful of air. Tomo shrugged and examined his blade, waiting for her to catch his breath. The unspoken lesson she had understood all along was that floating the tempest was tiring, and could not be kept up forever against a superior opponent. In truth, The Lioness Lays in Wait and the Peony Floats on the Tempest were too advanced for her skill with the sword, but it wasn't as if she had no martial training.

"I'm sorry, I got ahead of myself. Forget all that, you'd just hurt yourself trying to execute such maneuvers anyway." Tomo said, casually sliding his wooden sword into his sash as if it were sheathed. When he looked back up he was met by a scathing glare from Elhaym, harsh enough to make him fumble a grin and shrug his shoulders. Elhaym snorted, standing tall and holding her blade loose at her side.

"What should I be doing then? I can't do this forever. I might be able to stay away from you, but I'm moving ten or twelve steps for every one you take. I'd only last a couple minutes. What if I needed to end a fight?"

Tomo absorbed the question, nodding in satisfaction that she hadn't been blind to the folly of what had kept her from being swatted by his blade so many times.

"Once a fight has begun, there is no way to end it quickly save superior skill and tactics. If you are wanting to end a fight quickly, you must end it before it even begins. What I speak of is the Broken Circle's Last Turn. It is perhaps the riskiest thing you can do in a confrontation, but will end the fight in one movement. Do not take that to mean it is a preferred tactic; it is all or nothing. If your blade is not true, you will die. As I said, the fight will be over in one movement."

Elhaym listened with growing interest as he spoke. She had always had a tendency for taking risks in fights; those who didn't far too often fell into a defensive pattern that led to being overwhelmed. Then again, getting cut down like a pig because she missed wasn't too appealing. She could take body blows in stride at times, but one cannot ignore a length of steel in their midsection.

Tomo stood motionless. Elhaym's eyes widened in surprise as his entire body exploded into movement, jerking back instinctively. He freed the blade from his sash and swept the blade forward in a thrusting motion that would have undoubtedly lodged itself into a man's throat. He froze at the climax of his assault.

"You see, my opponent would either be dead, or have too many points of attack on me to ever mount a possible defense if I had missed. It is a very quick strike, but if performed incorrectly you will die."

Elhaym nodded, placing her wooden sword in her sash as he had done. She took in a deep breath and opened her eyes. Vision blurred as she scrambled for the hilt, loosing it from the confines of her robes and snapping it forward into a thrust. It was quick. Even she had managed to pull it off with reasonable speed when she mimicked the way he had performed it.

Tomo nodded, and took a step forward while pushing her blade down and to the side. "It can be performed if your blade is sheathed on your back as well. It changes the attack, but not the ideal. Be wary of this, Elhaym. I don't expect you will get into any life or death sword fights in the near future, but you should never use this unless you must. It is to be used if your opponent absolutely must die in that instant, at any cost. Remember that the cost of their death could very well be yours if you initiate the Broke Circle."

Elhaym nodded, and offered him the sword he had allowed her to borrow. It was far past time for them to be on with their night's (or day's) rest. Tomo graciously took the blade back, and retrieved the discarded cloths he had wrapped them. The two strolled back to the entrance to the courtyard, idle chatter filling the air that had nothing to do with fighting or swords or death. Tomo was a good friend, he kept her on her feet. He had challenged her physically, mentally and emotionally since her first day as an Acolyte. Friends who were not afraid to anger or mortify you if you needed it were always in short supply. They soon came to the large anteroom of the Pavilion where they would part ways. As Tomo broke away to walk back to his room in the Pavilion, a question jumped back into Elhaym's mind.

"Tomo, you know so much about sword fighting. If Udasai didn't teach you all of this, then who? I haven't heard of anyone in the Pavilion except Kagaya Ona with such an elaborate style."

Tomo stopped in his stride, and turned to face her with a grin slowly crawling over his face.

"Oh, you know her fairly well I think. You have her sword, after all."

-FIN-

Elhaym

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Artist (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Ophelia on June 17th, 2011, 10:47 am

Experience
Elhaym:
+4 Katana, +2 Acrobatics

Lore
Elhaym:
Lhavitian (fluent), The Sentimentality of the Katana, Lioness Lays In Wait, Peony Floats on the Tempest, Stilling the Sparrow's Wings, Parting the Leaf, Broken Circle's Last Turn, Tomo (Basic)

Notes
Ta-da! I like this new short and sweet style you've got going. Cute thread.
Ophelia
Just A Fool's Hope

Words: 97802
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2011, 12:40 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook