magic staff question

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

magic staff question

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 18th, 2011, 1:53 am

so ive got a few questions about magical staffs, and was hoping someone could help me out, since the wiki page does not mention money at all.

now i was wondering about how much one would cost. now obviously a higher quality one would be really expensive, but about how much would a cheaper one be. im just looking for a reasonable idea here, are we talking 100 gm or maybe less, or 1,000 gm or more, for a basic one of MC1 with no additions?

what would be the cheaper end of the spectrum here, and how much more would a decent one cost.

i was also wondering something about magecrafting one. i see that it requires a competent level magecrafter, and the lore of staffmaking, but i was wondering about how much the raw materials would cost, for just a basic magic staff of level MC1, to make it.

so for instance if i had the skill to do it myself, how much money would i need to make one?
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Graders note: :
Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Words: 2343955
Joined roleplay: June 18th, 2011, 1:14 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Overlored (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

magic staff question

Postby Kit Rowan on June 18th, 2011, 1:58 am

One thousand gold mizas is the cost in raw materials to make a magecrafted item of the first levels. If you bought it, then chances are it would cost you more than that. So it will be at least one thousand.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

magic staff question

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 18th, 2011, 2:27 am

1,000 gm to make even a low level magic staff?!!! wow, that is really expensive...

i was hoping it would be a bit less.... ow well...

it seems like it would take a really long time to get one then.... and im sure buying one, even an old one, would not be much cheaper....
Clydes Stuff

I am actually in RL a super intelligent hamster from Rhode Island, with a 7 year plan to take over the world.

Update 6/2/18- 1:10AM EST: His 7 year plan a success, and several weeks ahead of schedule, Clyde leaves to oversee the world he has taken over.

No new threads after end of Spring 518-Will still be checking for PM's occasionally, but focusing on a new character.

Please be aware Clyde is a master Magecrafter. He therefore should not be gaining full xp(or possibly shouldn't gain any at all) for simple tasks related to this magic, such as low level MC items, particularly for repetitions of creations he has done before. Feel free to contact me if unsure of a instance of his magic use compared to his skill level.
Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

magic staff question

Postby Vapis on June 21st, 2011, 3:54 pm

An old one would probably be even more costly, depending on the age.
Vapis
The Player

Words: 10445
Joined roleplay: June 12th, 2011, 1:03 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

magic staff question

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 21st, 2011, 5:21 pm

Vapis wrote:An old one would probably be even more costly, depending on the age.

not necessarily, since old also means it has more wear and tear and even damage. if it was made really well to begin with it will be more costly, but a older well used one would not be worth as much, and would also given the chance of breaking.

that is what i was meaning. though i do know wonder about the magic plate. it says it is also made through magecrafting, though i hope they make the article on it soon. since right now there is no info on it.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

magic staff question

Postby Vapis on June 21st, 2011, 5:42 pm

I was thinking of a really old one, or one made well that's power increased with age when I said that, though I understand what you're saying.
Vapis
The Player

Words: 10445
Joined roleplay: June 12th, 2011, 1:03 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet

magic staff question

Postby Clyde Sullins on June 21st, 2011, 6:26 pm

true, but any ones that are REALLY OLD ones that survived from before the Valt, would have a high MC and be expensive even if new.

though i do not know if magic staffs get more powerful as they age, im not sure if that applies to that. who knows.
Clydes Stuff

Clyde Sullins
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Journal
Plotnotes
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

magic staff question

Postby Kit Rowan on June 21st, 2011, 8:01 pm

Magic staffs make modern magician's mouths water. Even the dullest, most useless staff is held only by the most powerful wizards of post-valterrian Mizahar. Not a lot of people have a staff at all, and when they do, and it's a real staff, then it's a mark of an experienced wizard or at least a wizard with a lot of money. Even old staffs would be guarded jealously if they still had their magic properties and if they lost value it would be because those properties were gone. In which case you'd be better off grabbing a faux-staff and having done with it.

Even if you found someone willing to give you their old staff at discount it would be what, eight hundred gold mizas?

Also you should keep in mind that magecrafting is expensive by design. It is supposed to be expensive, supposed to blow people away. These are not common items. They are relics from an ancient past or cobbled together with second-hand knowledge of when people could do it better.

They're supposed to be hard to get. And if you want one it will be a huge ordeal to get your hands on one.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)