[Sultros Blades]Testing, Testing, 1, 2 (Marcus)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Dimitri on April 30th, 2011, 5:12 am

Spring 34, 511 AV

Dimitri was wandering down one of many halls in Stormhold Castle. He had a couple of bells to kill between his squire trainings. He was considering possibly getting himself an improved sword. Isurian Steel was supposed to be the best around. Maybe he could wield two swords, but he didn't feel confident in being able to handle that. He was still training in his shield and was very reliant on it. But he could at least check out the merchandise. He didn't know if he wanted the same type of sword or something new. He figured he would ask the professionals as he neared Sultros Blades.

He stepped into the dimly lit store. He walked over to a collection of show swords, trying to pick out a style. His master used a gladius, he used a simple long sword. There were so many types to choose from. He didn't even choose his initial weapon. It was handed to him and he used it. He'd never had to pick out something so amazingly similar yet so vastly different.
Dimitri
Squire

Words: 181534
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2011, 4:27 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Marcus Braeden on April 30th, 2011, 3:12 pm

Marcus was off work today and decided to take a look at some the shops located within Stormhold Castle. Besides, he was sure it was far safer than venturing out into the Wildlands to relieve boredom. Marcus shuffled from shop to shop, usually simply passing by, but there were a few shops that captured his attention and he couldn't help but enter for a closer look. One of these shops was Sultros Blades, a local weapon smith. Marcus casually walked in and waited for his eyes to adjust to the darkness. Once he was capable of seeing what the shop had to offer, he began looking around. Blades of all shapes and sizes were hung on the walls as well as on various sword racks. Some were simple, while others were extremely elaborate. But most, however were somewhere between the two sides of the spectrum.

Marcus also noticed another man in the shop, examining the blades just as he was. Something was familiar about the man, like Marcus had seen him before. His back was turned toward Marcus so he wasn't quite sure. Marcus began to maneuver around the shop, just to get a glimpse of the man's face. As soon as he managed a glimpse, he quickly returned his attention to the blades. Great, it's the guy I spattered my drunken crap at several weeks ago. If he recognizes me, well, this will be interesting to say the least... Marcus thought to himself.
Marcus Braeden
Chasing the Dream

Words: 138816
Joined roleplay: August 9th, 2010, 6:42 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dimitri on May 4th, 2011, 6:24 pm

Dimitri noticed the man appear near him. He looked somewhat familiar, but Dimitri couldn't place it. He continued to examine the blades, unsure of which to choose, and felt like striking up a conversation. He turned to the man, and noticed the scars on his arms and his mood fell through the floor. It was the drunken man who had locked him into a dull story a while back. Dimitri inwardly sighed hoping not to get trapped again.

"Looking for blades too?"

He didnt mention that he recognized the man or his blasted scars. Dimitri could tell by the man's physique that he was somewhat familiar with combat. Dimitri wondered if he could get some sparring out of the man. He looked capable enough for a decent bout and Dimitri was always looking for training.

"I wish I could test a variety of blades properly before purchasing."
Dimitri
Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Marcus Braeden on May 4th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Fantastic, simply fantastic. He noticed me and now he is talking to me...well maybe he doesn't recognize me...or maybe he does and he is just hiding it, either way, this should be an interesting day. Marcus thought to himself as he was inspecting a longsword that had caught his eye. It was a one handed longsword, Marcus' personal favorite due to the lighter weight. The hilt was more elaborate than standard among swords with a round pommel and a cross guard that left the hilt at an angle rather than perfectly perpendicular to the blade and handle. The blade was standard among most longswords as it was double edged and straight before coming to a point. Most people who wielded one may also use a shield as well, but Marcus simly preferred a sword and nothing more. Marcus hadn't seen much combat until recently, if you could call that whole situation combat considering it was more running for your life, but he did do some sparring with his brother back at the shop in Ravok and he had learnt some basic things about swordplay.

"Not particularly planning on buying at the moment, just looking for now." Marcus said trying make as little eye contact as possible.

Oh even better, he wants to test swords out, great, he mine as well just challenge me to a duel. This just keeps getting better and better. Well, on second thought it would be nice to brush up on my sword skills, especially if I actually want to go through with...Well I suppose a bit of sparring couldn't hurt. Marcus slightly chuckled to himself. Well here I am, I just ran into the guy that thinks I'm a drunkard and now I'm about to spar with him

"Testing out blades huh? Well, what could possibly go wrong? Apart from knights showing up, the shop keeper showing up, or us accidently killing eachother of course." Marcus said sarcastically as he picked up the sword he had been examining again.
Marcus Braeden
Chasing the Dream

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dimitri on May 8th, 2011, 4:09 pm

"Well being a squire to the Knights, I'm both capable enough not to accidentally slay you in a spar. And Knights encourage us to spar often, so we will be fine there. And one could simply ask the shop keeper." He then jokingly added, "Unless you're a smith and have a supply of swords available."

Dimitri looked at a scimitar. It didn't look strong, but rather flimsy. It looked like it would be good for quick strikes against unarmored opponents, but likely wouldn't hold up against armor. He wanted something just as sturdy as his Longsword with equal amount of slashing, stabbing, and defending power. After all, a weapon that's only good for offense will eventually fail you in defense. He was beginning to lean toward just acquiring a second long sword. Would it be difficult to use more than one at the same time? He shrugged, he could practice and find out he supposed.

"So what do you think would be a good second weapon, balanced in both offensive and defensive power?"
Dimitri
Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Marcus Braeden on May 8th, 2011, 5:10 pm

Oh boy, he's a squire for the knights. Well I'm screwed. he thought.

"Well, I do happen to be a smith, over at the Ironworks actually. However, I don't have any weapons on hand unfortunatly" Marcus said, searching his person.

Marcus unsheathed the sword again and examined the blade more closely. He tested the balance of the blade, which turned out to be a tad bit blade heavy but it was nothing substantial and would work just fine. Marcus also looked at the metal properties, trying to determine if the metal was tempered well. Whoever made the sword was more than competitant in the craft as the blade was tempered just fine. Marcus also took a few practice swings in the air, testing its speed. The grip had leather wrapping around it so the the sword did not fly away from his hand. Marcus found that the sword suited him well and he sheathed it.

"Personally I prefer using a longsword suited toward one handed use. But if you are gonna be duel wielding, well perhaps..." Marcus began searching around the shop, "...maybe you could use a short sword" he said pointing toward one behind him.
Marcus Braeden
Chasing the Dream

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dimitri on June 22nd, 2011, 2:42 am

"Might I interject sirs?" came a deep booming voice. "I couldn't help but overhear you discussing weaponry. I understand you are looking for a combination for your longsword aside from your shield? I recently developed a weapon I believe could assist your needs. I can fetch you an example of one, and if you like it, I will custom make you one. And being a knight in training I believe I can trust you enough to borrow the weapon and return it later today? Oh... I'm getting ahead of myself, let me fetch the weapon."

Dimitri was in a bit of a surprised shock. He hadn't expected an Isur smith to pop up, or talk so quickly and assumptiously. He nodded his head slightly at the man, who rushed off as quickly as he appeared.

While he waited, Dimitri turned to Marcus and smiled, "While a sword is very useful, and is my bread and butter, I'm looking for something a bit more... Specialized. Something with a broader range of uses."

"And I do believe this will suit you nicely." The Isur had returned with... A strange looking weapon to say the least. It appeared to be a sort of axe, but looked like no axe Dimitri had ever seen. It had a long, metal handle with a leather bound grip at the bottom. The head, however, was the most unusual part of the weapon. Rather than a standard slashing blade on one side of the handle with a hammered edge or second blade on the opposing side, it more appeared as a half moon with the blade situated on top. The tips of the crescent then curved upward back into the moon toward the handle. It was made of steel, and was a bit shorter than his sword, and appeared quite light, but still sturdy. Overall, the weapon was both efficient and deadly looking.

The Isur handed Dimitri the weapon, "I call it a crescent adze, it's a newer creation and I have yet to see it in combat, I hope it can be effective for you. Please return it this evening." Dimitri thanked the man, and felt the weapon in his hand. The handle offset the weight of the adze head, giving it a balanced feel. He swung it slowly. It wouldn't penetrate armor with it's puncturing or slashing, but it's strength appeared to lie in it's ability to both catch and hook onto most objects and it's nimbleness. He could see it catching a weapon, shield, or limb and pulling it away or twisting it out of grip. He could easily punch it toward a torso, twist it to bypass a defense, then rip the defense from the enemy.

He turned to Marcus, "How about we go to the squire training yards, you will be allowed since you are with me?" Regardless of the answer, Dimitri intended to make his way to the yard and hoped his companion would follow him. Learning a new weapon would be interesting to say the least. In a few chimes he would be in the squire training yard.
Dimitri
Squire

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Featured Character (1)

Postby Marcus Braeden on June 22nd, 2011, 3:42 am

Marcus watched as the Isur smith handed Dmitri an...interesting looking weapon. Marcus hadn't seen anything like it and he was a weapon smith, although his specialty was in swords, and not axes. If Marcus could compare the weapon to anything it would be a pickaxe. However the weapon, whatever it was called, a crescent adze the Isur had called it, looked much more refined than the usual pickaxe, looking more like a weapon than a simple mining tool. Marcus examined the weapon and thought about a swordsman would even defend themselves from such a weapon. He realized that the weapon could easily catch onto an opponents weapon and rip it from there hand. Most of Marcus' sword training came from sparring with his brother, who usually used a sword also. Fighting against something as different as this would definitely be a challenge. But it would be a learning experience, and Marcus wouldn't mind sharpening up his swordsmanship. He just hoped he didn't get killed during the process.

Marcus decided he would take the sword he was examining to the training yards, telling the Isur he would return the sword that evening. He attached the scabbard to his belt and nodded toward Dmitri following him out of the shop, toward the training yard. Marcus wasn't expecting too much from the sparring. He hadn't actually used a sword in almost a year and he felt more like he was ending up as a squire's training dummy. But he was also interested in furthering his sword skills, and well, you gotta start somewhere.
Marcus Braeden
Chasing the Dream

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets