Caught in the Middle (Laria, Jalen)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Bolden Denusk on August 13th, 2011, 8:40 pm

Timestamp: 35 of Summer 511 AV, dusk
Purpose: torturing Bolden

Bolden and Nightwind slowed to a walk and he looked over to check that Jalen was alright. She looked exhausted, but held strongly to the yvas. As dusk settled into the pavilion, soft sapphire hues kissed the fleeting sunlight farewell.

Her beautiful ivory strider mare with dark mane and tail made an exquisite contrast to the enormous chocolate stallion with white mane and tail. Male and female, dark and light, they walked next to each other in tandem.

Nightwind snuffled the mare gently, checking her endurance and asking her of her wellness. Their hooves echoed softly against the bent grass and night crept closer around them. Stars peeped their tiny heads up in the sky, each one glittering as it was their time to shine.

'She's gonna need food and probably supplies. Jalen's been through so much, I just want to help her set things right. The woman just needs a little tender loving care and things should look better by morning.' Bolden thought.

http://www.mizahar.com/forums/post92099.html#p92099
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Words: 196002
Joined roleplay: July 14th, 2011, 7:37 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Laria on August 13th, 2011, 8:54 pm

Laria had decided to take a walk on a whim. Well, a ride to be more precise.
The girl had seemed a little lost ever since he had left. She didn't blame him one bit though. She knew it had to happen sometime. Nobody should ever be kept from their family.

She had recently taken to being outside near sundown, now avoiding the sunrise altogether. It was silly, she knew that, but she couldn't help it. It hurt too much. Even Terris was worried about her, and that was saying something.

Laria sighed, and clicked the mare onward. She was a dapple grey, a beautiful little thing. It was one of her fathers horses, and one that Laria and Bolden had raised together from a stubborn yearling. Now, 4 years on, her temperament and manners were perfect thanks to the pair's work.

Passing between two smaller tents, the mare halted. Laria frowned before urging the horse forwards. Nothing.
With a sigh, she leaned down, stroking the mare's face.
"What is it hmm?"
The mare snorted and inched forward a little, nosing the air.

The girl followed the direction of it's gaze and froze where she sat.
Ahead was Bolden and another girl. They seemed... friendly. Something inside of her wrenched at the sight and she silently cursed herself.
Why was it that things always happened this way? Why couldn't he have stayed a little longer? He had to leave right before she realized. But perhaps that was how it would always be with her. Laria was always useless, always too slow. It had happened with her Strider and now this.

But no, she couldn't blame him. It was herself.
The mare whickered softly in Bolden's direction. She remembered him.
Laria attempted to wipe the pained expression from her face and prayed the two riders hadn't noticed.
She urged the mare away, and reluctantly, the dappled horse turned, one last quiet whinny escaping her.
Laria
of the Amethyst Clan

Words: 58701
Joined roleplay: July 31st, 2011, 8:33 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jalen Cleardawn on August 15th, 2011, 2:56 am

Jalen held absentmindedly to the yvas as she rode alongside Bolden and Nightwind. He had shown her limitless kindness, in turn winning over her trust and respect. She chanced a look in his direction as he slowed Nightwind to a walk. Her eyelids felt burdened by effort it was taking to keep them open. Exhaustion was beginning to take it's toll on her, as she knew it soon would.

She trusted Lily to follow Nightwind's lead as her mind strayed to the deep corners of memory lane. Faces of those she'd held dear for so long flashed before her mind's eye. Claws wrenched her heart and stomach until she thought she may vomit. Constantly she struggled to tell herself all would be well soon enough. Unfortunately she couldn't make her soul believe what her mind was telling it, but all in due time...

Tears formed and coated her eyes as she choked back a sob at the random thoughts. She told herself to subdue the emotion for now. Fearing she may have bored poor Bolden to the end and back, but until he said anything else, she would keep it to herself.
Jalen Cleardawn
of the Diamond Clan

Words: 21179
Joined roleplay: July 18th, 2011, 7:25 pm
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Bolden Denusk on August 15th, 2011, 3:14 pm

Bold rode on, his mind a jumble of thoughts.

'She's more tired and grieving than I'd thought. I should just get Jalen and Lily to my tent. Poor thing is all but asleep on the yvas and Lily is drooping like the flower itself.'

A distinctive whinny sounded behind him--he'd know that horse anywhere! It's StormLady!

Rider and strider alike turned their heads as one to look at the retreating mare and a blond woman's back.

Quickly, Bold placed a large hand on Lily's haunches.
"Wait here and guard your rider, Lily! I'll be right back!" excitement and urgency rose in his tone.

It couldn't be! Not after all this time.

Nightwind neighed loudly as Bold yelled, "PALOMINO!"

The man jumped off the strider and ran over to the familiar mare and her much loved rider. With his typical alacrity, he dragged Laria off the horse and into his arms, dangling her above the ground. Bold swung her around in a dizzying circle until they were both breathless. He hugged her hard enough to almost break a rib and his smile lit the night sky.

"Pal--Gods! Where have you been? I haven't seen you in forever! It's -so- good to see you! "

After a few long chimes, he realized he should probably set Laria back down on her own two feet. Bold's eyes turned dark as wild honey and he looked at her face as if greedy for the sight of it. He kept an arm around Laria's shoulders--just like old times and reached out to slap his favorite filly.

"StormLady looks amazing!" He noted the beautifully muscled top line, well muscled flanks and the denoted curvature of the mare's crest. "You've been training in airs above ground, haven't you?!"

Sure he'd missed Laria, but did quite realize just how much until he saw her again. He gestured toward the brunette and her strider with mane and tail the same color as her rider's hair.

"I'm on a rescue mission--this is Jalen and her strider Lily of the Diamond clan. They're foundering Palomino and I need to get them some shelter food and rest. The poor fillies are nearly asleep standing up! Will you join us?" The man's words tumbled over each other in his enthusiasm at finally seeing his Palomino girl once again.
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Laria on August 15th, 2011, 6:47 pm

The pair had not taken two paces when a shout and a horses neigh sounded behind them. He had seen her – they had both seen her. Nightwind and Bolden had recognised them. He was yelling her name, and loudly. The dappled mare stopped immediately with no prompting, turning to face the man now barrelling over to them. She whinnied at him, more than please to see the familiar face.

Laria barely had time to look at him before he had pulled her right of the back of the mare. He crushed her in one of his typical hugs, swinging her round off the ground, squeezing her till she thought she would burst.

As he set her down again, she caught her breath and looked up at him. His honey-coloured eyes were alight with excitement; it seemed he had missed her as much as she had missed him. His arm hung round her shoulder as if it had always been there, and she didn’t even get a chance to answer his first question before he continued on.

She gave a small nod and looked back at the dapple-grey mare.
“I… yes I have.”
She wasn’t quite sure what to think. Did she go on as though he had never left? Continue like always? She wasn’t sure if it was possible. It hadn’t been a long time, not at all, but in the couple of weeks since he had left so much had changed. For her anyway. She wasn’t sure if Bolden was any different. It didn’t seem so.

Laria glanced over to where he pointed, looking again at the woman and her Strider. Her eyes were apprehensive, wary. She gave the woman a slight nod of acknowledgment before looking back to Bolden.
“I… I’m not sure of that’s a good idea Bolden. I don’t want to indrude.”
Another look over at the woman – Jalen. She doubted that she would be wanted at all.
Laria
of the Amethyst Clan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jalen Cleardawn on August 16th, 2011, 11:34 am

Jalen hadn't heard the whinny of the mare in the distance, and as Bolden and Nightwind took off in it's sounding direction, she scratched her head. Was her hearing going? Did it matter? A faint smile graced her lips at his affection for the mare and her rider before them. He was truly a compassionate soul, it seemed.

Jalen wasn't sure if it was okay to approach them. Better let them catch up on old times, or whatever they so wished. She watched them absentmindedly as her thoughts drifted back to her lost Pavilion. The smile twisting her lips faded as she patted the thick neck of her Strider, and stroked her long mane. Lily stomped the ground with her foot, and shook her great head. As she did, she let out a comforting nicker in hopes of reassuring Jalen that all would be well in due time.

As Lily eyed the mare and rider now accompanying Bolden, she released a light snort. Jalen patted her neck again and leaned down to rest her head on the mare's neck. Her eyes fluttered before closing, and she sighed long and deep. She was patient, though she was exhausted, and knew that Lily must be, too.
Jalen Cleardawn
of the Diamond Clan

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Bolden Denusk on August 16th, 2011, 6:03 pm

The brilliant smile dropped from his face when he saw Jalen nod off and his gut twisted with guilt.

"Pal, I need to get her some food and sleep. She's been through a lot of trouble recently and Lily is ready to drop. I must get them to my tent pretty soon. Don't go leaving on me just when we finally get to see each other again, promise on our horse feathers?" He looked at her earnestly, knowing she couldn't refuse the request, just as he couldn't.

Bold's large hand affectionately caressed the mare's neck lovingly and then gave his long lost Laria a leg up. He didn't want to give her a chance to refuse when they'd been parted for too long. His amber eyes lingered on her face, her hair, taking in every detail that had changed in a moon's absence.

He turned back to the loyal and lovely strider. The young Denusk gently stroked a hand down Lily's haunches, having Nightwind let her know that food and rest were soon on their way for rider and strider.

Very gently, Bolden took Jalen into his arms and lifted her onto Nightwind's back so she could still sleep if he was gentle enough. He remounted the strider, sitting behind the woman to support her with his right arm. Bolden nudged the stallion forward with Stormlady and Palomino on his left-as always- and an exhausted Lily on the right, loyally closest to her rider. He wasn't sure how he'd get both women, two striders and a horse situated, but it wouldn't be from lack of trying.

"Don't worry Lily, we'll let your rider sleep, and I promise to take care of both of you ladies." He said to the beautiful ivory strider. With a arm firmly wrapped around Jalen's waist, he rode towards his pavilion. The sapphire flag rose and fell in a lazy night time breeze and they headed toward it.

The young man turned and beamed at Laria, thrilled to finally show her his clan affiliations after six long years.

"Now I know I'm Bolden Denusk of the Sapphire clan, Pal." His eyes stayed locked on his best friend's face, more than a little happy to finally share this moment with her. After all, what's the use of a profound moment without his Palomino girl to share it with?

Bolden looked down gently at the tragic lady trying to bravely bare it all. He smoothed back a long shining strand of hair from her face and tenderly shifted her head to his chest, so he wouldn't disturb her much needed rest. Bold winced when he thought of how much this woman had been through. She hadn't complained even once. Jalen had kept her dignity, poise and manners throughout all of it-- a true mark of her excellent breeding within the Diamond Clan. He'd never met a real Lady before, other than his sisters and the same regal manner was easy to recognize.

'Palomino's -finally- back in my life! My best friend! God's I've missed her so much it hurt more than I realized. I didn't know how much she was part of my life until I had to leave her. Gods don't let her leave me now! Not when I couldn't need her more!'

Bolden reached out a moment to touch Lily's poll reassuringly and direct her to stay closer to Nightwind's off side. The valiant strider was exhausted which was a rare thing for the incredibly strong, almost supernaturally hardy breed. They all rode closer to his tent and the young Denusk was deeply conflicted.

On the one hand, his Palomino Girl was back by his left side--like always! She'd saved his life and it was a debt he'd never be able to repay. His Laria that had spent every moment with him for six years, day and night, inseparable in their thoughts and actions, back with him--as one again!!

Literally on the other side, he'd recently witnessed the behavior of a true Drykas Lady of strength, poise and dignity regardless of her heart rending tragedy and physical hardships. The female rider and strider were so brave and noble he simply -had- to give his all to help the pair!
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Laria on August 17th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Laria glanced over to the other woman again, watching as she slowly succumbed to sleep. She saw Bolden’s expression change; he was no longer smiling. She listened to him, his expression almost pleading with her. She closed her eyes for a moment before sighing lightly. She said nothing to him, but she let him help her back up onto the dappled mare.

She looked down as he studied her before moving back to his own horse. Laria nudged the mare’s side, walking her closer to the others. She avoided looking at either of the others, thoughts and conflicting emotion battling inside of her. Instead, she watched her mare’s ears, gently urging her on when she saw Bolden start to move.

The flag of the Sapphire Pavilions came into view. She had never been over to the Sapphire clans before this day. She glanced sidelong at Bolden to see him beaming at her. She placed a returning smile on her face, accompanied by a nod. She remembered when he had called himself a part of the Amethyst Clan. Things had changed now; there was no going back to those days, not anymore. Bolden was a Denusk, he had a real family and a… well whatever Jalen was to him.

As they neared what Laria gathered was the tent Bolden now lived in, she paused her mare, waiting for the two Striders to move ahead. As the others neared the tent entrance, she dismounted before leading her horse over, letting her stand near the tent. StormLady would not stray anywhere, no matter how much persuading she had from another. She was loyal to Laria – and Bolden – and wouldn’t leave them.

Laria moved to assist Bolden if he needed it. She would help him off Nightwind with Jalen if he wanted her to, and the hold the tent flap aside. She could read something in his expression, though she was not sure what it could be. And that in itself shocked her. Never in six years had she needed to ask him what he was feeling; she could read him like she was feeling his emotions for her own. She tried to brush it off, concentrating instead on helping silently where she was needed.
Laria
of the Amethyst Clan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Jalen Cleardawn on August 18th, 2011, 1:49 pm

Jalen's eyes fluttered as she passed in and out of the void known as sleep. She was exhausted, and there was no denying it. Her eyes were swollen and bloodshot, her face was flushed, she had broken out into a nervous rash on her chest. Her hair mingling around her face was beginning to feel like straw from the sweat and tears, and her heart palpitated every time she thought of the smoldering mass of land that she used to call her home. The tragedy had rocked her, left her vulnerable to anything and everything. How would she ever survive? How would she ever be happy again?

And then there was Bolden. Like her loyal Strider Lily, he had come to her aid. A stranger with a common heritage had come to her in her time of need. Though he, too, was a Drykas, the light he poured out onto her from his giving heart gave her hope for what was left in the world. While there were killers and thieves and liars, there was still truth and justice.

And this Laria, who was she to Bolden? She couldn't be certain. Had she intruded into something that was out of her business? And what must she think? Here Jalen was, looking a mess and out of sorts beyond anything she could ever remember, and Laria was a gorgeous young woman. She felt slightly belittled in her presence with her current condition, and simply hoped that things would smooth out. Inwardly she told herself that, hey, at least this was as bad as it could get; she could only go up from here.... right?
Jalen Cleardawn
of the Diamond Clan

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Bolden Denusk on August 19th, 2011, 12:08 am

As the group came to halt, Nightwind started to nibble on Lily's neck and Bold planted a foot tip on the stallion's elbow.

"Save the flirting for later man, she's got a headache right now." He couldn't help but smirk at the male strider trying to take advantage of standing in between the two mares.

"At least wait till I don't have to watch huh?"
Bold slipped down to the ground carefully, draping Jalen's arms about the strider's neck and giving him a firm mental 'Stand!'

Like falling into old times, he and Laria moved in and out of his tent, unloading the animals and supplies. Back and forth, they'd together moved everything into his tent in surprisingly good time.

The small things done, Bolden finally looked at Pal and thought of the thousand things he wanted to say. He'd have to deal with practicalities first. The young Denusk lifted Jalen into his arms carefully and set her, sitting up by the tent flap.

She had a strider and he knew that she'd want the strider seen to first or she'd never rest easy. Bolden was the same way.

"Hey Palomino, let's get these animals fed, watered and rubbed down, huh?" He flashed a smile at the golden haired woman, knowing it was one of their favorite chores to share. It had been a never ending contest who could do the most, fastest and best when it came to horses. He winked at her and imperiously took over StormLady's care, just to tease Laria while nudging her to Nightwind.

"I haven't seen my lovely StormLady in too long! How's my gorgeous mare?" He'd unlatched the yvas with skilled ease and grabbed a brush from the kerf box of supplies kept near the entrance. With brisk motions, he brushed off the travel sweat, dirt and grime from the gorgeous, nearly silver coat.

"How you doing for my Palomino? You still throwing your head up and breaking noses? Still flicking your tail at people's faces when they pick out your feet?" Bolden kept up a running commentary, as he worked, picking out feet, scraping off the mud and finally filling up the separate troughs for food and water.

After only fifteen chimes, Bolden glanced over at Laria and saw that she'd completed all of Nightwind's care and lounged against him with a smug grin of her usual quick finish over Bolden! The stallion was immaculate, fed and now drinking his water!

'Gods she's fast as she ever was!' He thought with admiration and grinned at Pal.

He'd finished five chimes later and moved on to Jalen's strider. Although he gave her the regular care that the other animals received, he paused for a moment and just ran his hands over Lily. The strider mare was unusually restless for so much fatigue. Then it hit him. Nightwind wasn't flirting, he was pointing out a cut on the crest of the mare's neck!

Bold dashed into his tent and came out with a cloth dipped in honey and brought it immediately to her neck.

"Shhh it's ok Lily, I know it hurts, but this will ease the pain and help it heal. I promise." He lightly wrapped the small injury and gave Lily a final pat on the neck. With dark, honey colored eyes he glanced at Jalen, wishing he could take care of both ladies at once. She was exhausted, but he had a feeling she'd be as stubborn as he would about refusing care until the strider was seen to.

Bold clapped a hand on Laria's shoulder as a thanks for helping and gestured for her to precede him into his tent. He knelt to scoop up Jalen and get her inside onto the largest of his pillows.

"Ok so we need some cleaning up, a bit of food, I've got some wine and we can sleep or yap all night." he summed it up pretty well, but still, there was a lot more to do in the little that he'd said.
Bolden Denusk
Cursed

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Next