[The Welcome Home] Sighting the Soul (Malia)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

[The Welcome Home] Sighting the Soul (Malia)

Postby Stitch on January 3rd, 2010, 7:41 pm

OOC Info :
Continued from here.

Stitch shook his head, chuckling at the antics of the kids who had just left the room, and then focused his attention on Malia. "What can this one help you with, milady?" As she explained why she had come, and asked about a job, he cocked his head to the side as he closely regarded her again. "Why, thank you. This house was inherited from a close, deceased friend, this one will be sure and tell him you complimented his house, when this one sends a prayer up. Be sure you are welcome in this home anytime." He paused after this, not yet addressing her question. Once again, she would feel those eyes on her, those unseen eyes carefully sizing her up. He spoke again, his words still delighted to have met her. He was truly a joyous person.

"This one actually could use a teacher, or a cook. This one is decent at both, but good at neither. This one is sure Fentya could use some help with the housework as well, she has taken on the role of a maid, of sorts. Any of those positions could use filling, and this one is sure you would be paid a decent wage." He paused again, his face scrunching up with concentration as he tried to figure out a way to word this next part. He shrugged, as if giving up, and simply came out and said it.

"This one does ask one thing, though. If you truly want this job, this one would like you to come to the office, sit down, and give a short little bit about why you would like to work here, and a little about yourself. This one simply wants to know a little more about milady, if that would be alright." He smiled, and headed toward the small office Malia and Fentya had come through to get to the livingroom, holding open the door for Malia, and giving her another inviting, happy, friendly smile.
Last edited by Stitch on February 1st, 2010, 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Re: [The Welcome Home/Malia] Sighting the Soul

Postby Malia on January 7th, 2010, 6:33 pm

Malia felt a bit uncomfortable standing in front of the guy. It was a strange feeling, as if he was eyeing her with some kind of friendly curiosity – although his eyes weren’t opened to do so. There was a secret behind this stare, that much she knew. Her instinct had never betrayed her, in fact she suspected that it had just grown stronger since she had become undead. Of course she couldn’t know what it had been like before … but still she knew that there was something true about it.

Because his ‘stare’ didn’t involve any suspicion, she decided to trust him for the time being. People who wrestled with children were almost always harmless. In fact, it would be interesting to know if he had already found out what she was. Would he still treat her the same way if he knew?

Anyway, she got a bit embarrassed at the compliments of the two. A Nuit could be pretty? Well, if you consider unhealthily pale skin, a thin figure and bags under your eyes as pretty … On the other hand, she had concealed the bags with a little bit of face powder. The kids would see her as human. “Thank you”, she replied softly to both, but only looked at the little girl. She wasn’t ready to smile, but her eyes sparkled with friendly appreciation.

Then the two girls disappeared into the kitchen to eat the rest of the sandwiches. Malia hoped that they didn’t leave any for her and turned back to Stitch.

A close deceased friend … Immediately the Nuit wondered what that meant, if there even was a deeper meaning. She liked remembering secrets and unveiling the solution of one after another. Perhaps it could be called a hobby, although she didn’t really bother doing it.

After feeling that odd ‘stare’ at her again, he spoke about two open position. It was obvious that there weren’t any additional employees, so the work times would possibly be very flexible. Malia liked that. She supposed that it was more convenient and relaxing than working for a bigger business. Yes, she could do either of the mentioned positions, although she might favor a particular one over the other. For the time being, however, she replied: “Of course I’ll do whatever is required. I didn’t expect to find a job here when I came in, but it seems like the right thing to me, so I think that I can voice my thoughts and expectations pretty well.”

While they were walking, she continued: “Although I might be able to fill both positions to a certain degree, my education is significantly better than my household skills. Also, it will be a pleasure to look up information the kids should or want to know.” They reached the office. Walking past him into the small room, she returned his friendly smile – hesitating and a bit stiff, but still. Usually the Nuit didn’t smile often, but Stitch’s presence somehow brightened her mood.

Together with Stitch, she would sit down at any seat or chair that could be found and fully turn her attention to what questions he would ask. “I’m ready, Mr …?” Oh yes, she didn’t even know his name.
Malia
The Remnants

Words: 229208
Joined roleplay: August 20th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (18)
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Character (1) Trailblazer (2)
Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on January 10th, 2010, 6:09 am

He chuckled as the emotion of the smile hazily wafted from her small, skinny figure, barely skimming the surface of his senses. He could tell she was trying to muster up some kind of facial expression, although he couldn't imagine why it would be so hard for her. It had made him curious at first, why she didn't seem to come packaged with any sort of emotion. Clouds of feeling were usually billowing from people if he made sure to focus for a bit, but this one, she didn't have a single bit. It wasn't quite apathy, he didn't think, but he didn't really know what else it could be. Perhaps that was why he chuckled now, to see actual emotion coming from her, and happy emotion at that, was quite refreshing and somehow exciting.

Leaving the office door barely open behind them, so he could keep an ear on the children, he followed her into the office and took a seat behind a nice, small, wooden desk sitting near one of the corners. A small glass bowl of candies was sitting there, at the edge, and you could tell it caught his attention by the way his head tilted toward it, and he paused in his motions. For a moment, he considered, glancing back and forth between Malia and the candy bowl. Would it be rude to pop a piece of candy in right now, right in the middle of the interview? He had pretty much forgotten there was even a candy bucket here. He bit his lower lip, and with one last glance in her direction, shot out his hand and grabbed a piece of candy, much like a guilty child trying to sneak it.

Shooting her another trademark grin, still looking guilty, he sat down and popped the small peppermint into his mouth.

As he settled into his chair, he finally responded to the key things that had really caught his attention, mostly, the mention of her being able to teach. "Oh, that would be wonderful. This one is not very apt at many a thing, and the children could really use someone who knew what they were doing." He cocked his head to the side, looking quite fretful. "This one has been looking for a teacher for them, but hasn't been able to find one already employed. They would really appreciate having you with us, as would this one." He leaned back in his chair, rocking it to it's heels, very much like a little kid still. "Could you just tell me a little about yourself? Where you come from, why you are here, if there is anything this one should worry about, if you are uncomfortable with a blind man?" Stitch chuckled to himself, finding his own little joke kind of funny.

Pausing again, he offered her the bowl of candy by pushing it a little toward her. Somehow, she would feel eyes make contact with hers, and very much feel as if she was suddenly matching gazes with someone. It was a gentle gaze, a innocently curious gaze, but something there nonetheless.

"Stitch."

His voice echoed his name like a musical note, the smile ever-so-bright on his face.

"This one is known as Stitch, milady."
Stitch
Blind Man

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Malia on January 12th, 2010, 6:15 pm

A candy bowl … She noticed it at the corner of her eye, but forgot about it as soon as her gaze wandered off to other things. Food and drink wasn’t something she kept in mind any more, didn’t need to keep in mind. Such things had faded into decoration which she admired if it was pretty and ignored if it wasn’t. The candies were pretty though … and suddenly the owner’s hand grabbed one of them. As a reflex, Malia gently shook her head, as if she wanted her mind to be in order again.

Then she recognized something. How had he been able to know where the candy bowl was? How had he been able to snatch a candy that quickly? Apparently the secret would grow with every chime she spent with that man.

Well, he seemed to be pleased with her suggestion, after all. While listening, Malia suspiciously eyed the angle in which the chair was … hanging to the floor. However, his body was perfectly balancing his weight on the chair. Malia didn’t know anything about the methods of sightless, but somehow everything he did struck her as odd.

Anyway, she didn’t smile about his little joke, instead took it as a serious question. “Not with a blind man, but with a blind man who acts as if he could still see the world … to a certain degree.” Her voice faded. Still she wasn’t sure how much of ‘sight’ he actually possessed.

However, if he chose to not answer her indirect question, she would go on to the other questions without a flinch. She forced herself to believe that she would have told him sooner or later anyway. They had a right to know what exactly they were intending to employ. “To be honest, there is something you might not recognize, but need to know nevertheless …” First hesitating, but then firmly placing a hand on his stitched arm, she continued: “I’m a Nuit, an immortal soul changing bodies every few years.” Yes, her skin would feel ice told to Stitch. A moment later her touch vanished and she leaned back in her chair. The opponent would be able to recognize the colors of relief in her aura.

“I have no memory of my mortal life. My Master changed me, and then we wandered Mizahar together for a long, long time. During our travels I learned a lot from his wisdom collected over centuries and my own experiences. I have seen more than most mortals will see in their whole lives. I have a broad base of knowledge, and I’m comfortable with books. I also know a few things about religion, the gods and goddesses.” Malia smiled faintly. That topic was especially precious to her. “When you live as long as we do, you know that you’re different. You know that you’ll be lonely most of the time. Therefore, I felt drawn to this building. Something, instinct perhaps, told me that it contained warmth and company – and, believe me, I want to be part of this warmth, at least for a few chimes per day!” Her mouth shut, her pitch-black eyes closed for a few seconds. A confession it had been, and it had exhausted her – mentally more than physically.

She only believed that it had been enough to distract eventual doubts and bad fairytales he might have heard about her kin … but perhaps she didn’t need to worry with a man who called himself ‘Stitch’. Stitch … like the mysterious stitches on his skin.
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on January 15th, 2010, 9:36 pm

Stitch quietly listened as she explained who she was and a bit of her story, an emotionless look on his face. He had known something was a little off with her aura, it had definitely been human, but there had been something of a weird look to it. Nothing he had been able to put his finger on, but it had bothered him in the back of his mind, and it was one of the reasons he had asked her in here for an interview. Generally it was just a safe way to make sure possible workers weren't in it for some twisted reason, but he usually just did it out of habit. He trusted the people in this town. However, she had been different, and he really had wanted to learn more about her. She didn't seem untrustworthy, there had just been something she had left out of her story. Something she didn't tell any old stranger she had just met. He was happy she had told him.

She touched him, and his arm responded, banded muscles flexing in the limb. He was stronger than he first appeared.

As she finished, leaning back, a small smile grew onto his face. Unknown to him, his aura changed as well, the magical force suddenly radiating waves of both kindness, and peace. She would be able to feel it caressing her skin, like a lover touching a finger to his cheek. "This one Nu it!" He chuckled for a moment at the joke, to himself, then quickly cleared his throat and took on a serious face. "A Nuit... This one is very familiar with your race, this one has heard stories... From an old friend, the one who bestowed this house upon this one..." For a moment, his voice became far off and fond, but he quickly regained his focus and continued on. "This one is happy for your honesty, and it reflects well upon you. Your experiences as a Nuit and your long life also make you perfect for this position, and this one would be happy to offer you a job here as our teacher, as well as room and board. 4 or 5 gold Mizas a week would be your pay, and you don't have to pay anything for food, or the room you will receive." He continued to smile at her, and settled his chair the way it was supposed to be settled, sucking thoughtfully at his piece of candy. He seemed indifferent to the fact she was a Nuit, if not delighted, and affectionate for some reason.

His smile grew, infectious as ever. "This one is pleased and honored to hear your words, truly, they mean much to this one. Warmth and company, as well as happiness is something this one wishes everyone had, and it is something that this one is glad the Welcome Home has such feelings in it, and that those feelings are obvious to all."

"This one does have one thing he feels as if he should mention, however. Something VERY important."

He paused, and regarded her with a very serious look suddenly, the happiness vanishing off of his face. "I would require that you give daily bedtime stories to each of the children. They are tired of my stories, and I am sure you have plenty to tell." He tried not to smile, picking up on the fact that she took things much too seriously. He was now teasing her about that fact, hoping she would get the minor joke. His smile twitched on the corners of his lips, waiting to burst free.

Her hidden question did not go un-noticed for the moment, he was just waiting to get this business sealed up before he answered.

OOC :
I will check with Goss about the wages, and PM you more details. <3
Stitch
Blind Man

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Malia on January 17th, 2010, 7:25 pm

Malia was very relieved when she didn’t discover the slightest hint of mistrust in his voice or body language. She even grinned a bit at the joke, although that was such a subtle movement and change in her aura that he might not recognize it at all. Nu it, indeed … no surprise.

And apparently she had made it! Malia didn’t feel anything in particular, rather experienced a variety of feelings at the same time. Relief, happiness, but also a bit of melancholy. Her life would never be the same after that experience, that much was sure. She had already made the first important step to a different existence and she didn’t know in the slightest where the future might take her. Usually she was content to watch others – but from that day on she would be connected to them. The living world had absorbed her.

Still she wasn’t sure if it had been the right choice. Because there was no return to old habits, she felt doubt.

Noticing that she still carried the offered sandwich with her, she quickly added: “Oh, I don’t need to eat or drink. I took the sandwich from the little one out of politeness only.” That was actually the first time she thought that the lack of the experience of taste could be an advantage. Stitch wouldn’t have to pay for extra food, because she never ate anything. The next question, however, was how she should tell the children … but she guessed that he wouldn’t offer any help in that matter. Eventually, the truth always was the best way to go.

Suddenly her opponent got serious, far more serious than she would have expected. Quickly lying the sandwich at the table, she listened with a serious expression on her face. And then … “Bedtime stories? To each of them, and daily?” She already started to consider the suggestion, pro and contra … Eventually she got it. “Judging from your attitude, I would have guessed differently …”, she teased back, followed by a short, but sweet laugh. Yes, she had got the joke which was about the first time in a few years she had actually heard a joke directed to her.

In some way, it was ridiculous. In some way, she realized that she was the traitor. However, she wouldn’t give up what she had just gained, at least not in the next few seasons.

“I agree to the conditions, apart from the room offer. I already own a small apartment … but perhaps it might be easier to move here to be available for the majority of the day … and night?” She wasn’t sure how to handle that problem and expectantly eyed Stitch.
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on January 20th, 2010, 8:33 pm

At her confession at not eating, nor drinking, Stitch nodded quickly, a slightly dismayed look crossing his face. "Ah, yes, this one is quite sorry, milady. This one does it out of habit. Please forgive this one if it continues to happen, this one might not get used to it for some time." He absentmindedly leaned forward to pluck a piece of candy from the bowl once more, and pop it in his mouth. He swished it around for a bit before leaning forward.

Stitch opened his mouth as if to speak again, but then paused, cocking his head to the side and angling his face toward the doorway they had both entered from. He was pretty sure he had close it completely, but now, something was off. It had cracked open just slightly, just barely, and there was certainly no wind passing through the very sturdy, warm home. Stitch thought for a moment, and the slightest of grins passed across his lips. He bet he knew what was waiting just beyond that door, and what had been waiting and lurking for past few minutes. Turning his attention back to Malia, he chuckled, shaking his head and speaking as if having read her mind. "Don't worry about the children, by the way. Their previous home father, who was this one's home father as well, was a Nuit. People who live as long as milady does have plenty of time to gather love, and this particular man was absolutely full of it. We welcome you here, are happy to have you here, and the children will be delighted as well. The Nuit are a romance in their minds, ever-changing magical beings filled with eternal life, love, and stories." He smiled brightly as her, and a wave of happiness once more washed through the entirety of the room.

She laughed at his joke, teased him back, and he couldn't help but return her chuckle with one of his own. So she could smile and laugh after all!

"As for your room and board, the choice is yours, milady." Her laugh rang in his ears, and he was still delighted to have heard it. Both at the fact that she found him funny, and at the fact that he had managed to make that somewhat sad looking face just a little brighter today. "This one always has a bed ready and waiting for you, milady, and you are quite welcome to simply stay at your own abode." Stitch slowly stood up from his chair, moving quite gracefully, for a man of his height. His movements were fairly quick and fluid, more so than the normal person. It was a minor detail, one she might not notice. He slowly walked to the door, making it a point to step quietly. Stopping halfway there, he glanced back at her, and smiled again.

"This one can see, as you assumed. Not very well, and not as one would think, but it is enough.The old owner of the house, this one's home father, the Nuit I spoke so fondly of, he gave this one the house, as well as this one's eyes. The gift of sight." Stitch's smile grew distant, and he paused for a moment, just to reflect, before continuing on. "Auristics, he called it. This one doesn't know much, but as you were truthful to me, this one shall be truthful to you. That, is what allows this one to see." He seemed to explain freely, not minding it at all, and being quite casual about it. Upon finishing, he turned back to the doorway he was slowly creeping towards. He quickly grabbed the handle, flung it open, and was met with the startled yelps of three eavesdropping children.

Stitch burst into laughter, shaking his head, giving Damien a playful push.

"Come now, you three. Don't be so rude. Why don't you go greet our guest?"
Trista, the youngest, needed no further encouragement. She surged forward, eagerly trotting toward Malia, grabbing her by the leg and looking up at her with big, adoring eyes. "Trista heard you were gonna stay with us! Trista is glad, you are very pretty. Mal-li-uh." Trista tried out the name, slowly speaking it, very carefully. Damien slowly walked forward, hands behind his back, blushing as he watched her, also thinking she was pretty but not likely to admit it. He offered her a small wave, stopping just short of her. Fentya stood in the doorway, arms crossed over her chest, a small approving smile on her face, nodding at Malia if the Nuit looked in her direction.

And by her stood Stitch, as bright and happy as always, looking quite proud of the three children he considered his own.
Stitch
Blind Man

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Malia on January 22nd, 2010, 4:35 pm

OOCIs it Trista or Trisha?

The second candy didn’t irritate her as much as the first, perhaps she would get used to living with people who needed food and sleep. After all, she had to sooner or later. So she didn’t reply anything to his comment on food. It was just the way it was. Nuit didn’t eat anything at all, as much as Kelvics didn’t eat cooked food or Konti didn’t eat meat.

Then she noticed Stitch ‘looking’ into the direction of the door and followed his gaze. The silence struck her as awkward, but she couldn’t quite put a finger on the details. Anyway, the fact that the children were familiar with Nuit was a great relief. Malia was almost sure that she would have felt awkward around them if they didn’t knew, and she certainly wouldn’t have found the right words to explain what she actually was. If they already knew … fine, even if that information was only partly true. In fact, she liked the romantic version the kids seemed to believe, although she would never be able to accept it as her own.

Whether to accept the offered room and board, however, she didn’t really know. On the one hand, she had always lived alone and wanted to preserve that silent peace she had gotten used to – at least for some hours of her day –, but on the other hand she would already spend more time around the living. So why not move into their house to be more easily available for them? But still a teacher coming and going was possible as well. She was only their teacher, after all.

Obviously the answer would have to wait until a decision had been made … “I will think about it, but thank you for your offer anyway”, she simply stated.

Her eyes followed Stitch as he silently moved to the door. Something about his moves felt odd, extraordinary, but Malia couldn’t tell what exactly or in which way. At that point, she was almost certain that the blind man could see without his eyes, although she was still curious about the reason.

So he called it Auristics … and the former owner of the orphanage had been a Nuit and a mage! Malia’s eyes narrowed. Nuit were exceptionally rare. She hadn’t seen anyone of her kin apart from her ‘Master’ and the girl called Cosette Merryweather – who was young for both human and Nuit standards. Oh, how curious she was about finding out more about that person, gathering information, perhaps even meeting him one day! She would certainly keep an eye out …

Suddenly the silence at the door burst into loud yelps, the girl raised from her chair, leaving the sandwich behind at the table. Hopefully someone else would discover and consume it without further thinking.

She watched nervously as two of the three little ones started approaching her. Apparently the youngest girl had an affinity for hugs – a fact that wasn’t particularly uncomfortable. Malia kneeled down to be on eye level with her and hesitantly replied: “Uhm … thank you. I’m glad to stay with you too.” That was all, and she still felt a bit awkward about her way of dealing with children. They were a whole different world, after all: Different views, different priorities and opinions. Very different behavior.

The boy came next, the one who had wrestled with Stitch earlier. Apparently he was the wildest of the group. Yes, Malia would remember the facts, since they would hopefully help her later. He just waved at her … and she, uncertain what to do, waved back. “Hello, nice to meet you.”

Unsure about what to do next, she looked into Stitch’s direction and caught the older girl’s approving nod. Obviously she wasn’t one to spend time and words on unnecessary things such as politeness … which was why Malia was almost sure that she liked her best. Getting up again, she shot a quick glance at the assembled people. Well, was there anything left apart from getting down to business then? “Are there any plans for today? If not, I would suggest to sit down and talk about what you already know and what you want to know from me.” Hesitating just for a few moments, she added: “In case you didn’t already find out as much, I’m going to be your teacher, so I need to know these things.”

Feeling that there was still something that should be added, but being unable to find out what that particularly was, she fell silent. Still it was obvious that she had to get used to interacting with children … but learning was always good.
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on January 26th, 2010, 8:57 pm

OOCActually, it is Trish. My mistake. ^^; Oh, and also, you are getting paid 5 Gold Mizas a day for your services. It has been added to your storytelling thread.

Stitch gave an approving nod at her suggestion, still smiling brightly at the Nuit. "That sounds like a good idea, milady. This one is going to borrow Fentya and Damien for a moment, to help this one clean up the mess they made in the kitchen, but they shall be returned to you shortly." Fentya nodded, already spinning on her heel and returning deeper into the house, toward the kitchen. Damien let out an annoyed little sigh and follow Fentya quickly, peering curiously at Malia a few more times before vanishing within the house. Stitch lingered, cocking his head at Malia for a few moments before speaking. "This one wanted to let milady know that it means a great deal to this one, what you are doing. This one thanks you, from the bottom of the heart." He offered a short bow, his smile brilliant, and vanished after the other two children deeper into the confines of the house.

Trish had been distracted by the departure of Stitch and the other two children, but now turned eagerly to Malia, bubbling through a list of things she already knew, education-wise. "Trish can add big numbers together, and subtract! Trish is also pretty good at reading and writing, although Stitchie says Trish needs to learn to talk about herself with "I" or "me" or something like that." Trish's face scrunched up, and she stuck out her tongue, giving Malia a pouty kind of look. "Trish doesn't get that, why wouldn't Trish talk about herself using her own name?"

She curled up closer to Malia, wrapping her arms around Malia's leg and cuddling her close. "Mommy gave me that name. She looked like you."

Glancing back to the door, she considered how much time she had left. Glancing back up at Malia, she gave an urgent tug on her knee, trying to drag her over to the far corner of the office room, away from the door Stitch might possibly come through. Once they were there, if Malia had indeed followed, Trish grinned up at her, motioning for her to get down to Trish's speaking level. Whispering, she shared one of her own personal secrets with Malia. Little girls delighted in sharing secrets with other girls. "Stitch's boss, our old father, he used to tell Trish secrets about Stitch. Our old father was a Knew It, just like you."

The next words were whispered, the little girl's face excited beyond belief. "He knew how much we love Stitch. He said he had found a way for Stitch to live forever, just like you!"

The way the girl spoke it was a bit eerie, as were the words themselves. Live forever?
Stitch
Blind Man

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Malia on January 29th, 2010, 7:59 pm

Yes, tidying up always was a good idea, especially when you lived with children. Not that Malia had any personal experiences, but still she could imagine. Fentya apparently was the most rational one of them while Damien’s reaction looked more normal to Malia. She just nodded at Stitch, a bit uneasy around his gratefulness.

Relieved, she turned to Trish who started to talk proudly about what she already knew. Malia listened to her list with a serious expression. Considering the fact that the girl couldn’t be older than six or seven, that already was a good level of education! Stitch must have been modest when it came to his own skill at teaching the children.

When Trish started talking about how she should use ‘I’ and ‘me’, Malia felt the urge to smile and run a hand through the girl’s hair. She did the latter, encouraged by the closeness Trish had produced, but she also commented: “Well, I don’t know why, but all the others do speak of themselves like Stitch says. It could lead to misunderstandings if you don’t.” But then she stayed quiet. Trish’s mother … looked like her? Malia’s eyes narrowed, just a bit – there were many women with black hair and pale skin, after all. Still …

Although she didn’t remember anything about her life as a living being and usually didn’t care, she had been thinking and imagining what she might have done, might have experienced … what kind of life she might have lived. Sometimes she just couldn’t deny that curiosity, a natural urge. Usually, though, she resisted. “Are you sure? Do you know her name?”, was everything she said. Hopefully speaking about such a sensitive topic wouldn’t make Trish too sad …

Suddenly the little one started tugging Malia’s knee into a certain direction, away from the door. After a short moment of hesitation, she followed, curious about what the secret would be revealed to her. On the one hand she felt honored that Trish already trusted her that much, but on the other hand … she wasn’t sure whether she wanted to hear another of Trish’s little secrets. Apparently she knew much more than she seemed to at first sight.

Anyway, she couldn’t prevent the girl from speaking. Stitch’s boss … the Nuit. Malia was too excited to correct the ‘Knew it’ pronunciation and listened carefully. Live forever?! Her eyes widened, and suddenly her hands felt wet.

Of course she knew about the Daek-Nuit, the ritual performed by a Nuit to change a living being, be it human or else, into a new Nuit. However, considering how Stitch had spoken of that person, Malia didn’t think that the founder had seriously planned making Stitch immortal. No way. So why did he tell Trish? And what did she really know about it? Blinking, she eyed the girl expectantly. “Please tell me, what did he exactly say? This is very interesting …”

After a while she added, seemingly emotionless: “Would you want Stitch or anyone else to live forever?”
Malia
The Remnants

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)