Question re: Celestial Language.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Caelum on May 26th, 2011, 3:21 pm

Hi!

In the wiki for the ethaefal race it is stated, “Ethaefal speak Common, and their mortal seeming's tongue. Their celestial language cannot be reproduced with physical mouths, and any attempt seems woefully inadequate.”

This I have always understood as meaning 1) ethaefal are fluent in the Celestial language at least while in their ethaefal form and likely less fluent in it while in the form of their last past life, 2) and despite this, the language is incapable of being spoken. They can only hear it in their head or, possibly, understand it did a god/ess choose to speak to them in it.

Based on the above conclusions, my question is whether or not the Celestial language is capable of being written.

Thank you!
Katie.
Caelum
The best way out is through.

Words: 1093768
Joined roleplay: March 18th, 2010, 10:27 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Character (1) Featured Contributor (1)
Featured Thread (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Seidaku on May 27th, 2011, 1:55 am

Regardless of the answer to this question, I have a follow up. If one knows the Celestial language, could they use Morphing to create a 'mouth' capable of speaking it. Also, would Webbing allow them to convey the language to another creature they were Webbed to?
Seidaku
Gazing into the Void

Words: 140247
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 5:23 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Argillaceous on May 30th, 2011, 2:57 pm

I believe, Caelum, that it could be written, but you may want to check with one of the Founders. And Seidaku, no to the first, and yes to the second, but again, I'm not an expert.
Argillaceous
Player

Words: 5687
Joined roleplay: April 16th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Race: Pycon
Character sheet