hide and stalk (Darren)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Ciryll on May 29th, 2011, 12:15 am

48th, Spring 511
The early afternoon sun shone brightly, the deep blue shadows providing stark relief to the glittering surfaces of the everwinter city. Just outside the marketplace was one particularly thick patch of shadows between two buildings, and what appeared to be a discarded mound of old dirty furs. If one cared to look closer, they'd easily spot the small teenager bundled deep within, and note that the old dirty furs were in fact an old fur cloak.

This was one of Ciryll's less favoured hiding places, it was great as a child, but ever since the rapid approach of adulthood she had noticed an increasing difficulty in wedging herself into certain spaces. However she'd also found herself spending too much time in some of her preferred places, somewhat defeating the purposes of hiding. She flushed a little bit, imagining how painful it would be to have to endure yet another lecture about her future if she was found out again.

Her cheeks were ruddy from the chill air, and her stomach grumbled from hunger but she paid no mind to it. She'd spent the better part of the morning waiting for something interesting to happen, and had little intentions of leaving her spot until it did. She shifted slightly, trying to find a comfortable position without drawing any undue attention to herself. Despite the uncomfortably tight fit, it still provided a great view of passersby and the relative bustle of Avanthal.

She pulled her hands into her sleeves, snuggling into her cloak. Her sharp eyes constantly scanned the street, watching people as they passed. Silently she made a mental note of each person as they went by, what they wore, if they were carrying any packages, and any other mundane details that stuck out. A few people had slowed while passing her hiding spot, but continued on, she wondered briefly if they had noticed her at all. In any case, no one had confronted her yet. On the other hand, no one was intriguing enough to stir her from her spot either.
Ciryll
Player

Words: 9740
Joined roleplay: May 21st, 2011, 1:22 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Darren on May 31st, 2011, 2:12 am

He had his fill on woman for a bit. Darren was one of his rare moods, feeling sorry for himself and worrying if the right girl would even come to him. Just a short jog around Avanthal, possibly buy some new things. He didn't understand why people like to spend money but he was going to try to distract himself today. I work better when I'm not thinking so much he counseled himself. Darren figured if the decisions in his life only amounted to what to buy or if he was going to eat in the afternoon he wouldn't feel so out of place. "Yea... better just calm down on all the crazy stuff for now" he muttered to himself as he stopped. "If only until I get back on my feet"

Hmm... only a few more until I reach the market he thought as he checked his purse. Only a few- A slight movement caught his attention while he checked his purse. Darren looked to see a pair of eyes watching the street next to him, out of reach for him to grab but close enough for him to notice her. He paused for a quick moment to take in the small form before he made his decision. Nothing to be bothered with, just a youngling with nothing to do he apparaised as he put his foot forward. His gaze stuck for another moment as he moved away and then he left. Simply placing one foot in front of another he quickly created a distance between the pair of eyes.

oocSorry if it's short.
The original PC of Miria and Bolivar

Darren
I Dare

Words: 346232
Joined roleplay: March 3rd, 2011, 12:53 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Ciryll on June 1st, 2011, 10:33 pm

Ciryll came to many conclusions about the people she watched before dismissing them as boring. Some of her assumptions were obvious, such as deciding the woman with a toddler in tow was likely pregnant again because of the way she kept stroking her belly. However some were a bit more of a stretch, like deciding the man who stumbled a few times was drunk or that the man with mismatched mittens had been fighting with his wife. However every assumption carried with it the simple fact none intrigued her enough to look further into it. Not until she spotted a young man.

He was muttering to himself with his head in his purse, and she was interested by how preoccupied he seemed. The way he walked made her think he was a man with the weight of the world on his shoulders, or at least on his mind.

She was startled when he paused to look at her, her heart crept up in her throat as she froze. Staring, perhaps a bit eerily, Ciryll tried to will him to not notice her. She chewed the inside of her mouth slightly in anticipation. For Ciryll an eternity passed while his gaze was on her. When the man finally started walking again she realized she had been holding her breath the whole time. With a small gasp she started breathing again.

Watching intently as he hurried away, her curiousity was ignited like a forest fire. "Why is he in such a hurry? Where does he have to get to? Why was he so distracted? What's in his purse? He saw me, I bet he saw me, did he see me?" That plus a million other questions scratched furiously at her mind, completely drowning out her stiff muscles and nagging appetite.

As she watched the distance between herself and her new interest grow she realized she had spent far too long wondering and he was moving at a respectable clip. Ciryll crept to her feet, starting to follow him. She found herself partially stuck at one point, bruising her hips with a soft swearword as she squeezed from out of her hiding place. By now he was several yards away, though she decided this was to her benefit. "So long as I don't lose him," she mumbled under her breath.

Sticking to the shadows, trying not to move too fast but without losing sight of the man she followed. Ciryll believed she was being stealthy, though many people noticed her easily. Some even quirked an eyebrow at the odd way she loped down the street, before resuming whatever they had been doing previously.

oocsorry for the lateness and if it's shortish. I wasn't feeling well yesterday.
Ciryll
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Darren on June 2nd, 2011, 2:26 am

This is a pretty long trip Darren mused as he slowed down to a pacing walk. This was the only exercise he was going to get today so he might as well make the most of it. The trip still had about half a mile to go and he would reach his try to reach his destination in within five minutes. He took a swig from his water skin as he tried his best to keep moving. Already a thin layer of sweat appeared on him as he tried to steady his breathing. Only allowing himself another breathe before departing he went with a short sprint to start.

Making the trek in about four in a half minutes he quickly assimilated into the market. Darren moved back and forth within it's compounds, disappearing for a moment in one area and suddenly reappearing a few spaces away. Doing this involuntarily it would be a surprising to see how fast the taller figure appeared in one store, slip through others busy in conversation and reappear exiting the same store. Whatever he was doing Darren was in a hurry to do what he wanted.Finally Darren came across a promising few set of stalls and his pace slowed. He took a cursory look around before entering a rather flashy store.

Inside he met the owner and placed his request to the man. "I need a white variation of what I am wearing at the moment" He paused as he realized that the request might be harder to find and make. "...and I suppose some cheaper home clothes that I can readily use" he added as an afterthought. He strolled around the store while the man readied his order. When he convinced himself that no one was around he spoke softly to himself. "Maybe I can squeeze in enough time for a cheap thrill." Darren paused as he considered what he could possibly fit in. "Perhaps find someone in the wrong place at the wrong time and throw them around this store until I get bored perhaps?" he replied with a deadpan stare at the ceiling. It was a bit after he reached the market but the possibility that someone might have been trailing him revealed itself when he felt being watched. "Is that clear enough for you? Or will I have to start throwing these knifes at you?" he said nonchalantly as his hand reached to his belt.
Last edited by Darren on June 3rd, 2011, 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Ciryll on June 3rd, 2011, 12:16 am

Ciryll thought she was doing a pretty decent job of keeping up with her target, at least until he started sprinting like some kind of crazy person. She said a four syllable word in Vani that, loosely translated, referred to ones mother and dire rabbits. With a deep breath she began chasing him, her blood pounding with the exhilaration.

At several points she found herself having to flat out run, completely sacrificing her element of stealth. Her ears were completely deafened by the roar of her pulse, her shins screamed with sharp pain, a severe stitch in her side demanded she stop. She pushed through it, running as best she could over the slippery streets. Her only saving grace was that the man she chased didn't stop or spend time checking over his shoulder.

As they hit the market she slowed her chase. Greatful for the chance to catch her breath she gasped in the chill air, and immediately she found herself wheezing from the shock as the cold hit her lungs. Her throat was raw and desperate for water, but with a swallow she forced her mind to ignore the numerous demands her body was placing on her. She clutched her chest as she assessed the situation.
She'd had many many different responses to people noticing her in the past, but no one that had ever ran so fast from her. Ciryll was used to being ignored, patiently tolerated, or being flat out told to do some anatomically impossible things- but to run? She wondered what kind of childish mind he had to have to make her chase him. She shook her head, immediately refusing the notion. If he ran because she was there, then that completely negated the entire purpose of shadowing him, and making all her efforts pointless. She set her jaw with determination and looked around.

He moved quickly, she gave him credit for that. A few times he had even managed to shake her in the crowd. Were Avanthal a more densely populated city he would have even gotten away completely, but it wasn't, and he didn't. His speed and his height were the biggest giveaways. A man in a hurry, a man with a purpose was so much easier to spot amid the run of the mill browsers.
Her brain relished the challenge, though her body completely objected. She hung back, but knew the layout of the market well enough to be comfortable doing so. It was a bit more tricky to follow him when he went inside buildings, but she was only concerned when he'd go into shops she knew had a backway.

Which is why it set her on edge when he went into what was probably the flashiest store in Avanthal. She knew full well there were plenty of ways to sneak out of that store, and her legs were not going to consent to that kind of chase scene again. She counted to ten in her mind before taking a deep breath then casually entering the store herself.
Ciryll was lucky the man was speaking to the shopkeeper as she entered, and even luckier that the shopkeep hadn't acknowledged her presence. She ducked down, using a set of shelves as cover while creeping up on the current target of her fixation.
Ciryll stayed hidden even as she heard his first threat. It did make her uneasy to hear someone utter threats so easily, it intrigued her even further. What sort of man does that, she wondered. The danger had her hooked.
She wondered if perhaps she was too far in when he started reaching for his knife belt. Somehow the entire absurdity of the situation got to her, and while she managed to hold back the flood of hysterical laughter a choked sound of amusement managed to slip past her lips.

This was it, she was completely busted, and she knew it. Slowly she straightened up, her hands up in a non threatening gesture. A giant grin, completely inappropriate to the situation, was plastered across her face from ear to ear. "Wh, ha, what? That's uh, kind of an over reaction." She chuckled, still trying to keep herself in check. "Oh look at me, I'm sooo paranoid! I'm gonna beat up a girl, thaaaaaat's gonna make me look sooo not crazy!" She wiped away a small tear that was gathering at the corner of her eye.
Ciryll
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Darren on June 3rd, 2011, 1:23 am

Darren turned to see a youth with a smile that reach from ear to ear. Darren's gaze didn't deter as he continued to look down at the blue haired Vantha. The hair of course was a bit of a surprised but it still didn't cause Darren to lose any composure. Freak he mentally said as he relaxed his arms. "I have done worse for less" he replied icily at the smaller Vantha. He looked calmly at the young Vantha as she acted out a very abrasive impression of him. Darren was not amused. "Yes. Well, unlike some people I have to always be on guard for possible situations. Perhaps if you ever get in one of them you'll understand my skepticism" he explained as he put his arms to his chest.

"Hmm... in any case" he continued, looking to the side for a moment. "What shall I do with you?" he asked looking back at Ciryll, tilting his head to further scrutize her. He soon realized he recognized the face. It was that girl from not too long ago. Great...another one Darren muttered as he looked at the Vantha girl. No good would come from gloating Darren knew, however he would only be bothered with others if they proved their worth. ...And this one might have a chance.

"That's an interesting hobby you seemed to have picked up"
he started as he paced around the store. "Maybe if with some more practice you can even beguile even a paranoid lout like me..." he continued as he finally stopped and started staring in another direction. It looked as if he was thinking but for the most part it so that he can look dramatic and make a scene. "How long have you been following me? Since I saw you outside not too long ago? Or perhaps even before that?" he asked as he turned to face Ciryll. He gave her a set glare to show he wasn't playing around. "Answer honestly, it's of grave importance..." he mused softly as he raised his right hand. In it were already two of his knifes, gleaming dully in his grasp. Darren took a look at his reflection before looking back at Ciryll. He smiled wickedly at her as he slowly, but surely, started his throwing motions.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Ciryll on June 4th, 2011, 5:17 am

Ciryll listened with undivided attention to his words. Her eyes tracked his every action. Worse for less huh, wonder what could be less than this? She subconsciously mimicked his body language and similarly crossed her arms over her chest as well.
Her largely inappropriate grin had been replaced with a slightly petulant pout under his scrutiny. If I'm lucky, this is just going to be a lecture. A beating from this guy... She cringed internally.

Being suddenly asked a non-rhetorical question took her aback, she couldn't immediately answer. She watched him raise his knives, and even her full force of will wasn't enough bring her eyes away from them. Being threatened with an actual weapon by someone who she believed could actually use it. She was scared, and angry, and terrified, and furious.
It was getting harder to breathe, her throat tightened up, stars started to swim through her field of vision. Her face was getting redder and redder, before she finally managed to squeak out a small noise with no discernible meaning.
Frustrated, she screwed up her face, took a deep breath and with a heroic effort, tried one more time.
"Doitandthere'sNOwayyou'lleverknow!" All the words cascaded out at once, defiantly.

oocSorry for it being short
Ciryll
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Darren on June 4th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Darren's throwing motioned stopped as he smiled at Ciryll's answer. "Ah right right... I'm suppose to care and what not" he commented as he scratched his head with his free hand, averting his gave as he thought about it.. Meh I'm not in the mood to care he conluded as he finished the throwing motion. A overhand throw that was suppose to end up somewhere near the other Vantha ended up at least a foot higher then he intended. Pausing to take look at his throw he shrugged his latest blunder off, I really need to practice more with those he thought as he then turn his attention on intimidating Ciyll. "Erm... yea, that was a warning. Anyways next time you speak you better give me a decent answer" he explained as he sheepishly averted his gaze.

To be honest it has been awhile since anyone was actually in this position with Darren and it seemed so foreign to him since he never usually remembers how it got to this point. Okay... I got me another scared Vantha. What now? he wondered as he relaxed his hand. "Right, can you be bothered to say before I lose my patience? Your caught me in a rather bad mood you know" he said as he a quick look at the store. The storekeeper was almost done with his order and he still had to pick out some cheaper clothes for his wardrobe. He walked up to Ciryll as he moved to place his hand atop her head to examine her closely. He could already see the early grip of terror that befallen her. He chuckled lightly as he smiled at Ciryll's expense. "Just a very young, very naive vantha" he whispered almost to himself, But we both knew that didn't we?

Otherwise convinced that she wouldn't cause to much trouble, Darren started a more dignified approach at the other Vantha. It was rare for him to be seen as a person of power and influence, he might as well enjoy the moment. "Tell me, what possessed you to do this? There has to be some reason you are inclined to watch others" He paused as he realized that he might have lead the other Vantha into a possible monologue. Grunting softly, he turned as he went to check the linens the store had. Looking through the store he noticed the woman's section on the other side. "Little girls should not be in this type of store" he commented as he turned back to his purchases.
Last edited by Darren on June 5th, 2011, 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Ciryll on June 7th, 2011, 12:12 am

The keen blade sunk itself into the wooden wall with a dull thud. It took a moment for Ciryll to realize how far off it had actually gone. Relief washed over her, but she partially wondered if perhaps she had given his knife throwing skills too much initial credit. That same part of her was made all the more uneasy by the revelation.

Ciryll was easily feeling less afraid now, so much easier to think without a weapon pointed at me. She remarked internally. She still felt a bit shaky, and the combined earlier exertion with the draining adrenaline made her feel like throwing up but she held it together. "Better naive than a paranoid grouch." She muttered under her breath, feeling distinctly uncomfortable with his hand on her head. Her frustration was growing, what was supposed to be an average day of harmless sneaking around had so far turned into getting caught, getting threatened, pushing her body to it's limit, and now being talked down to like a child.

Ciryll's usual teenaged contempt was coming back to her, the benefit of Darren's posturing giving her time to recover her wits. She vocalized an inarticulate string of non-committal sounds and shrug when he asked why she'd followed him. "I unno, z'jus 'cuz." Her sullen glare indicated she had no intention of answering his questions in any form. Even if she'd wanted to answer to him it wasn't something that she could have put into words.

Darren's taking a position of authority caused Ciryll to dislike him further. "One, this a public place and I can go where ever I like. Two, it's not my fault you took so long to notice me. Three, who in the hell do you think you're calling a little girl anyways?" She asked rhetorically. "It's alright, I can get why you'd be confused. I mean, I'm sure everyone looks the same to a freakishly tall self obsessed headjob like you." She said with a pleasant chime contrasting with her mocking words. "Why, I'll even bet you're a hopeless bachelor," Ciryll had literally no basis for her argument, she was just trying to get back at him for the way she'd been treated. "All pasty pale and psychotic. Poor you." She traced her index finger from the corner of her eye down her cheek, the symbol for shedding a tear.
Ciryll
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

hide and stalk (Darren)

Postby Darren on June 7th, 2011, 1:51 am

Already busy with the stores wares, Darren found it strangely amusing to be already considered the grownup in the situation, he was after all one of the more aloof people he knew. He moved across the store, taking a look at what it had to offer. Picking things more out of instinct rather then preference, mostly just thinks white and blue seemed to be what he was going for today. "I suppose it is.... though I think this store has a different viewpoint for woman" Darren noted as he guided Ciryll's eyes to the sultry chemises and dressees it had to offer. He shook his head, fighting a smile that was forming o his face as he finished. "No matter how I look at you, you come off as still a young girl" he shrugged, he wasn't one to gloat but he knew he was in the right here.

A soft layer of linen touched his fingertips as his eyes came across a small set of linen shirts in different colors. Taking two white shirts and a blue one, he took off his own as he tried out the new clothes. This will do he thought as he quickly returned to his all black attire. "Oh not alot gets by me. Especially when in this situation the person following me has blue hair" he sneered, abhorring the odd coloration of Ciryll's hair. He hummed a soft tune to himself as he picked out matching pants and jackets. Then he paused. Putting on a serious face he looked back at Ciryll, "Being young isn't to be ashamed of. Rather I'd cherish it if I were you. ...If you get the chance." he replied.

He closed his eyes as he heard Ciryll's next reply, taking a quick time to breathe in and out before continuing. Don't get angry at me. Your the one who went out of her way to bother me he raged silently. "A underlying theme in my family. Though I'm afraid it might be true we may look as scary behemoths in the eyes of the miniscule," he shot back, putting emphasis on the last word. And easily thrown population he added as he looked Ciryll up and down. He strolled along the center of the store, taking alook at the gloves and boots they had to offer. He offered a ironic smile to Ciryll as he put his latest additions atop the pile forming in his hands. "You really don't know who I am do you?" he said with a deadpan stare.

He turned as Ciryll's last statement touched a nerve, his face twitched slightly at the quick description of the himself. He quickly turned to face Ciryll, placing what he had on a table, his eyes closed as he loomed over her. "Care... to run that by me again?" he stammered as his hand moved to grip the cuff of her shirt. "If your not careful I'll make you a woman right here and now. Then I won't have a problem with throwing you around this store" he threatened. Potential to be useful or not, it didn't care anymore. Darren was already annoyed to the point of caring out his threats. Yesterday wasn't a good day for him and if he put all his frustration and anger into throwing this younger Vantha around so be it.

oocWhen he's talking about making you a woman he meant mentally. But you can take it anyway you like

Darren
I Dare

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next