Another? (Cass)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Another? (Cass)

Postby Darian on June 1st, 2011, 4:10 am

Wildlands 37th of Spring 511AV

The boughs of the tree's overhead sheltered him in the noon day light, and he continued to walk, twirling his longsword as he went. Things were going well for him here in Sunberth, but he felt it was near time to get on the road again, but he wasn't quite sure when that should be or how he would manage it alone for that matter. For now he decided he would stay near the city, until something remarkable enough happened that he need or desired to leave this place that had been his home for so long. Sunberth was a place he could freely do what he wanted, minded he watched what toes he stepped on, but at least he could practice his art, and get what he needed in relative peace. Malediction is what most inspired him, and perhaps he would come across some promising animal bones this day and do a little work with them. Of course traveling alone out here was dangerous so he couldn't stray to far from civilization, but he felt confident in his safety for now.

The mossy ground was soft under the tread of his boots, and the black leather of his armor, made him blend in with the shallow shadows around the trees as he walked among them, and also left him exposed when he walked out into the light. His heart paced slowly, and he was wary of how quickly his environment could turn dangerous, more so emphasized by the fact that he felt he had dozens of hungry eyes upon him. He walked slowly, and kept his steps as silent as he could so it would be easy to hear any predators that might be nearby, and all he could hear was his own heart beating and the soft crunch his footsteps made as he walked across the ground. The area felt safe, and that put his tense muscles at ease for now as he walked out into a sheltered clearing, that had a small clear pond in its center, the crystal blue waters looking both refreshing and cold.

Kneeling gently down to the waters he placed his cupped hand into the pond and brought it back up to his lips drinking deeply from his hand, and repeating the process as he quenched his thirst. Such a thing was a blessing and a curse in these parts, as the source of water was likely to draw other animals in the nearby area. It made him feel like he had to be even more on guard than he usually needed to be. He kneeled in the soft moss for a little longer before standing up; never breaking his stare into the crystal blue waters, so focused was he on reflecting inwardly.
I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Words: 270515
Joined roleplay: April 25th, 2011, 2:12 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another?

Postby Cass on June 1st, 2011, 5:14 am

"Such a strange girl...dancing around like that."

Tall Ziths cloaked in shadows all nodded in agreement as the elder Zith squinted his old yellow eyes as if to get a sharper look at the young female before him.

"Do you always bring shame to your brothers?"

High pitched laughter erupted in the thick heavy air as-

Crunch.

Cass's eyes flew open at the sound of tiny twigs and dried leaves falling to pieces underneath the weight of whoever or whatever was prowling around. She silently listened, holding her breath, as the soft crunches continued in a slow and steady rhythm. It wasn't until the crunching faded when Cass scrambled up to her knees, throwing off her blanket.

"What do you think you're doing?"

Snapping her attention away from the tent's entrance Cass stared for a moment at her "friend" crouched in the darkest corner of the large tent. Her auburn colored hair fell loose down to her shoulders and her raven black eyes focused solely on Cass, never wavering for a moment. She wore only a black bra band and shorts and had her bat-like wings folded up around her, acting as some kind of odd looking cloak.

Not answering her "friend" Cass grabbed her long tan overcoat and hurried to the tent's flap. Shoving it open she let out a quiet yelp as the sun's brilliant rays stung her eyes, blinding her. Whirling away from the sunlight Cass looked back over at her "friend" as she tried to blink away the black dots swirling around in her vision.

"Idiot," the auburn haired Zith replied. "Can't you feel the heat? It's daylight out."

Silent, Cass shook her head before barging through the tent's flap. Throwing her overcoat on to hide her wings, she kept her eyes on the ground. It was easier to see and move. Bending down to scoop up a handful of dirt Cass smeared the dirt across her light grey skin, hoping to cover most of it up.

"You look like a bloody idiot!" her "friend" called from inside the tent. Cass ignored her. She usually did. She very rarely listen to her imaginary friend. But sometimes she did. Sometimes...

Following the soft crunching Cass quickly moved through the wilderness, keeping to the shadows whenever possible to avoid the nasty sunlight. The crunches grew louder as she moved until they suddenly fell silent. Skidding to a halt Cass wandered silently passed a few more trees before catching sight of a small clear opening with a refreshing looking pond. And standing before that pond was a...

"Human," Cass whispered through a smile.

"Good," her friend replied, suddenly appearing beside Cass. "You found decent food for once."

Shoving her friend away Cass quietly stepped out into the opening. She quickly maneuvered herself so her back was to the sunlight. She took a few steps towards the man but quickly stopped, checking to make sure that her disguise could pass for just another dirty human.
Because I'm a Whedonite....

Spike: If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move.
Cass
Player

Words: 77984
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 7:29 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Another? (Cass)

Postby Darian on June 1st, 2011, 3:46 pm

What did it all mean? Where was I bound to go? What was am I supposed to do? The uncertainty of what lay before him plagued him like nothing ever before, and quietly he sheathed his sword at his side and leaned down to dip his finger into the pond. Small fishes swam up eagerly to investigate the disturbance before once more disappearing deeper into the water. Many other darker thoughts went through his mind as he looked into the water, and almost subconsciously he noticed that he heard footsteps behind him. They were so soft and silent that he almost missed them but growing up on the streets of Sunberth he learned how to hear such things. The steps sounded like someone walking up on two legs, so he took it the thing behind him was sentient, but other than that he didn't know how much of a threat whomever behind him was, or what their intentions where.

" Come here often " he jested not turning back just yet to view the person that was behind him. Placing his palm on his thigh, he rested his hand on the hilt of the dagger hidden there, prepared for anything if they tried to start any trouble. Slowly he turned around and offered a charming smile, though he was surprised when he turned around to see a girl standing there. What’s a girl doing all the way out here with no defense within sight? This one is either very dangerous or totally helpless he mused as he eyed the muddy human girl up and down. There wasn't much he could go on about her appearance since she was covered in mud and a heavy coat, and he smiled wide as he realize she reminded him a little bit of himself when he tried to disguise himself on occasion. A kindred spirit perhaps? There seem to be a lot of those around these days

Clearing his throat, and smoothing his black hair back he locked eyes with her. " What brings you out this far? " he asked while dusting his hands with a few brisk claps.
I have retired Darian, and I apologize for any inconveniences this has caused with anyone threading with this character. Feel free to NPC him in any threads that he is involved in if that is of course ok with the moderator. Again, I am sorry for any inconveniences.
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another? (Cass)

Postby Cass on June 2nd, 2011, 1:05 am

Cass's head snapped up the moment the man began to talk. She stayed silent and still. Memories of watching the humans in the tunnels beneath Castle Xy ran through her mind. Little snippets of how they communicated with each other and reacted to certain things. Little memories floated through her mind but quickly came to a grinding halt when the man turned around to face her.

The man seemed relativiely harmless at first. Even a little bit charming but as Cass's eyes roamed up and down the length of the human's body she spotted an very tiny odd bump near his thigh. Her right foot slid back, instinct screaming at her that it could be a weapon. She swallowed down her instinctual fears. She had been exploring beyond the grasslands a little over three years. The bump could be anything. But her legs muscles still went tense.

"I've never been here before," Cass replied, wrapping her overcoat a bit tighter around her body to hide the less dirty features. "I-I heard you." The heat of the sun was starting to irritate her back. She quickly glanced around but didn't see any helpful shadows nearby. The only shadows lingered back within the tall trees.

Spike: If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move.
Cass
Player

Character sheet

Another? (Cass)

Postby Darian on June 2nd, 2011, 4:03 am

Darian cocked his head slightly to the side, something he tended to do when he was curious about something. The girl before him seemed completely harmless, maybe even afraid of him, but also there was no mistaking the certain air about the woman, it was something he couldn't quite put his finger on. When she looked quickly back, he worked on untensing his muscles and moving his hand far away as he could from the hilt of his longsword, and his hidden dagger as well. No need to make the woman more tense than she was already, especially if she had friends he thought while glancing through the forest all around him. Suddenly he felt very exposed out here in the clearing, and he hoped it was just a feeling and not because someone was aiming a crossbow at his back. He kept his composure however; keeping his expressions emotionless and otherwise appearing very calm and unassuming, even though inwardly he was very paranoid about this whole encounter.

" Are you alone? " he asked her softly warmly smiling, and keeping his hands limp at his sides. Privately he was sure he could reach the hilt of his sword and draw it before she could get off an attack on him unless of course she had company that favored ranged weapons. Either way he didn't want to act hastily, not until he was sure about what this woman was doing here. Her words came out truthfully to him because he saw no reason for her to lie, unless her intent was to kill him out here, and since he wasn't dead yet he took that as a good sign. " Well it seems that we have found some similar ground, I also have never been to this place. I am called Craevan, what is your name? " he added politely. He saw no reason to tell her his true name just yet, especially if she was an assassin, then his giving away of his name could seal his fate. For now until he found out more about this girl the name would suit, maybe later he would even tell her his real name he mused.

Almost subconsciously he noticed that she might be uncomfortable in the direct sunlight with that large overcoat on, and he found that he was rather so as well wearing the Night black armor, light as though it was. He would have much rather went for a dip in the pond, but now with this stranger present that seemed less likely, but perhaps later if a semblance of trust was established. For now the shady trees behind her looked much more inviting not only for the coolness that it would grant them but also for the cover it would give him from any unwanted eyes around, or targets on his back for that matter. Gesturing to the trees behind her, he spoke up again, " it’s rather hot wearing all this armor out in the sun, would you mind retreating back into the trees to continue this conversation? ” He kept up his polite tone as he always did when meeting new people that had the upper hand on him, and should she agree to his suggestion he would make slow steps towards her, eventually walking past her, beside her, or behind her depending on when she decided to move for the shade, and would continue to do so till they were fully under the shelter of the trees before stopping and leaning against a broad tree trunk. " Better? "
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another? (Cass)

Postby Cass on June 2nd, 2011, 4:18 am

As Cass stared back at the trees she spotted her "friend" standing by a few trees further back, making killing motions with her own clawed hands. Cass knew what the annoying imaginary Zith wanted. She wanted her to pounce on the man and rip into him. Such a plan drifted through her mind before the man spoke again, yanking her attention away from the trees and over to him.

Was she alone? Well partly yes. Really there was nothing her "friend" could do anyways and she had already learned many times before that nobody but her was blessed with seeing and communicating with the other Zith. But then again, her friend had proven useful to have around. "Maybe. But I'm alone out here. I am Cass." Cass felt no reason to lie to the man about her name. Plus, if everything went south then all it would take was a strike of her claw along his neck and she would be safe again.

She quickly shook such bloody ideas from her mind and glanced over to the shade the human was talking about. She smiled and didn't need to be asked twice. She hurried over to the shade and felt the tension in her shoulders begin to slowly relax. The sun was off her back. Now she could concentrate better. "Yes. Much. What is that lump?" She pointed to the tiny lump on the man's thigh.

Cass
Player

Character sheet

Another? (Cass)

Postby Darian on June 2nd, 2011, 4:39 am

He smiled and nodded. Perhaps she was telling the truth, and she really was alone, and her name was Cass, but it didn't matter, he still wasn’t dead yet, and they had both expressed a gesture of common ground for now, even though Darian had lied. Lying came so easy to him, and it often saved his life, so he could hardly feel guilty for preserving his life, especially in the uncertain outdoors. Adjusting the flat of his back against the tree, he got comfortable while mulling over her other question. So she noticed my dagger, she had a keen eye, I’m impressed he thought with a slight twinge of his lips almost forming a wry expression. She was resourceful he could tell, and perhaps that was why she had survived in the wild for this long. " It is my dagger " he responded truthfully, slowly moving his hand down to his thigh and producing the dagger from his pocket. As a added gesture of trust, he flipped the blade over in his hand careful not to grab the broad edge accidently and handed it to the woman hilt first.

He knew he was taking quite a risk with this woman by letting her hold his dagger but he when he worked it out logically in his head it actually might make things safer for him by showing her a concrete gesture of trust. Besides the woman seemed nice enough on the outside, and why couldn't he appear that way on the outside as well, and with a disarming smile aimed towards her, he visibly relaxed, while staring up lazily in the sky. Slowly his eyes drifted downwards from the clouds and they fell upon her. " You have quite the keen eye for locating hidden things, very nice " he said, and walked over a step closer to her.
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another? (Cass)

Postby Cass on June 2nd, 2011, 5:02 am

Cass blinked when Craevan reached down to the tiny lump on his thigh and produced a hidden dagger. She brought her hand back quickly a few inches at the sight of the short blade. She relaxed a bit when he turned it around so the hilt was facing her and not the blade. Grinning slightly she took hold of the hilt, weighing the dagger in her hand. So this is what it felt like to hold a blade. Cass had never really held a blade before. When one had sharp claws blades lost their use. But holding a dagger felt different then using her hands and feet to fight someone. Very different.

"You kept it well hidden," Cass replied, entranced by the dagger. "It was a small lump. Easily ignored by most." Her smile dropped away when Craevan stepped closer to her. She immediately backed up to the edge of the shadows and hurled the dagger into the ground, inches from the man's feet. "Don't!" From behind Craevan appeared her "friend" who once again made killing motions with her claw like hands. Her gaze quickly shot back to the man. She knew he had hidden weapons but knew nothing else about him. He could be trying to kill her!

"I'll rip you apart," she growled. She hadn't intended for the warning to come out in such a way but she couldn't control it. Couldn't help it.

Cass
Player

Character sheet

Another? (Cass)

Postby Darian on June 2nd, 2011, 1:33 pm

He watched as she tinkered with the dagger, and her foreignness at holding the weapon amused him. Maybe she was as helpless as she appeared. However as he took a step closer to her, she showed that she could be quite dangerous. Taking a step back, and holding his harms out wide to the sides, he decided to cool down this tense moment before it got out of hand. After all he was in reach of her, and whatever weapons she may have, and far to close for him to draw his long sword even if he had wanted to. " I mean you no harm, I only wished to show you a few basic moves with the dagger he said in a smooth tone, his eyes never leaving hers. " Now I'm going to slowly reach down and retrieve the dagger, and then I'm going to hand it to you, whether or not you want me to show you how to use it is up to you " he said trying to diffuse the situation. Mentally he noted that this was the last time he would try to teach someone he met out in the wild some survival skills. This is why you don't help people Darian, the just end up wanting to kill you he berated himself, whiles slowly going down into a crouch and reaching for the dagger all in calm movements. It felt like just yesterday when he had to handle himself as carefully as he was now.

His hand grasped around the hilt of the steel dagger, and he yanked it up from the ground, before slowly standing again. Holding the blade in a backwards grip he didn't bother to flip it like he did last time, instead settling for slowly presenting the dagger to Cass. " See, if I meant you any harm, why would I give you my dagger? " he said as kind as he could manage. Inside he was rather startled by this whole affair, and feared his neck might be on the line. Whether or not if she took the dagger, he would step backwards after a time, and then he would do something he regretted almost immediately. He unstrapped his longsword, and let it fall uselessly on the ground, and held his hands up. " See no harm, just trying to be friendly "
Darian
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Another? (Cass)

Postby Cass on June 3rd, 2011, 1:16 am

Legs tense, ready to pounce at a moment's notice, Cass watched as Craevan held his hands out in what appeared to be a harmless gesture. The adrenaline pumping through her viens began to ease as the man explained to her that he meant no harm. Not moving an inch Cass watched as he slowly pulled the dagger from the ground and presented it to her again with the hilt towards her.

"B-Basic moves," she started, looking back and forth between the dagger and Craevan's face. She couldn't spot any hint of a lie. Uncurling her fists she stared at the dagger again. She was still quite curious about the short blade. She took the dagger by its hilt once again. Her smile slowly began to return to her face. Craevan's questions were oddly starting to make sense. You would never give an opponent extra weapons to use in battle. No, that was silly. And...and he was unstrapping his longer blade!

Shame washed away the anger as Cass turned away from Craevan. "I'm sorry. I over-reacted." Biting the inside of her lip Cass stared at the ground. She hadn't meant for the animal within her to break free. But it had. Which meant she was still no closer to becoming more human. She was still more a Zith then anything else.

Her gaze fell onto the longer blade laying in the grass beside Craevan's feet. "What's the difference?" She looked over at Craevan and held the dagger up so the tip of the blade was pointing to the annoyingly bright blue sky. "That one is longer than this one."

Cass
Player

Character sheet

Next