The Best Laid Plans (Veral & Bohdai)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Best Laid Plans (Veral & Bohdai)

Postby Veral on January 7th, 2010, 10:47 pm

The 16th Day of the Season of Winter, 509 AV.

The interior of 'The Rearing Stallion' was unimpressive, and did not pull at Veral's awe one bit. He took a disdainful look at the quiet, yet filling tavern, and moved to a place. Well, it serves good food, to put the least. And good wine, something he was fond of.

He moved to the table nearest to the fireplace, and settled himself down to view the majority of the room. It was early evening, and customers had just started to drift in as many started closing shops, and coming off shifts. This was a good time for a meal, before it got too crowded. The current customers were a mix of off duty soldiers, business men and simple crafters. Nothing too fancy, yet money enough to dine at places such as this.

Despite the interior, he liked the warm tavern enough. He motioned at the young boy who waited at the table. Seth Aargon, the childs name. Respectful enough. The boy rushed over to him, smiling eagerly and asking for his order.

"Just a glass of wine now, please. I'll take the meal later, when I have relaxed." He smiled at the boy, and tousled his hair as he ran past into the kitchen. He had used the entire day to explore the city, and his legs ached him from the walk. A glass of wine was all he needed now.
Veral
Player

Words: 4260
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2010, 12:12 am
Race: Dhani

Re: The Best Laid Plans (Veral & Bohdai)

Postby Bohdai on January 8th, 2010, 12:00 am

[size=125=The 16th Day of the Season of Winter, 509 AV.[/size]

The door to the tavern swung open with nary a squeak. Bohdai swung it back into place behind him, and the door latched firmly. The Dhani was faced with a dim interior. Lamps hung low over tables, but few were lit. The evening press was still a good bell away, or so several regulars told him, and he hoped to make good on his time.

Bohdai took his seat, the wooden chairs were just as uncomfortable as he had imagined they would be. After several moments wriggling around, he found a position that was nearly comfortable. It was then he noticed a small man in expensive clothing staring hard at him. The small man broke off his gaze when a boy hurried out of the back. He placed a glass of wine on the table before the man. The boy, who must be no other than Seth Aargon scowled when the man tousled his hair, but accepted it.

In a matter of moments Seth appeared at Bohdai’s side.

“Good evening, sir,” Said he, combing his hair out with a hand. “How may I serve you?”

The boy was well-schooled in common, better than Bohdai himself. “Whatever you have for dinner, and a mug of brew.”

“We have ale, pale and dark beer, sir.”

“Bring what you think would go well with the meal, but, not wine.”

“Of course, sir.”

Seth disappeared into the backroom again; glad to have his hair unruffled. Most boys would have commented on the blade at Bohdai’s hip, but Seth had only glanced. Perhaps his father really had been a knight. Kevith was keeping a close eye on him, and had been since the Dhani had entered.

He doesn’t know, it’s just my blade. Bohdai reassured himself. One of the serving girls exited the kitchen after nearly a minute, bearing a mug of warm beer. She set the mug before him, and blinked with one eye. Dumbfounded, Bohdai blinked back, with both eyes. The girl’s smile turned to a frown, and she whisked herself away.
Bohdai
Player

Words: 7586
Joined roleplay: January 7th, 2010, 7:02 pm
Character sheet

Postby Veral on January 8th, 2010, 10:02 pm

As the man walked into the room, Veral noted that his clothes were simple and bland. Not the main factor that caught his keen eye, and interest, however. The blade that hung from his left hip swayed and glinted in the light, a sharp fang that awaited a prey foolish enough to anger the beast. By the looks of the blade, a bastard sword, the owner seemed able to look after it, for it had no chips or rust viewable on the hilt or blade. By the look of the owner, he could no doubt pick it up. Could he use it though?

He conserved his time, sipping thoughtfully at the glass of wine, a delightful blend of honey and spices. Something he had never had the pleasure to taste. The smell of it wafted through his nose, and he could smell the beautiful aromas of the wine. Delightful.

He would have continued to admire this marvellous vintage, yet the man's speech brought him back to reality. His accent was thick, yet... yes... He could hear it. It was an accent he knew very well, albeit different. He used it many a times himself.

A Dhani. But of what blood?

It was decided, he needed to speak with this man. Yet... perhaps it would be better to accompany him back to his inn. No, that wouldn't work. He would know instantly, and become paranoid, and perhaps be on guard. The last thing I need.

He could always ambush him outside, and question him by force. But what good would that do him? He examined the man again, cautiously, and noted his great height. Not a viper, then. But what IS he? He was faster. But was he stronger enough to overpower the man? Perhaps his Dhani form would be the best choice.

What are you, an idiot? You claim to be after knowledge, yet already you've resorted to violence.

Talking was the safest, and best way forward. Rising slowly, he walked over to the table the man sat at, and motioned at the free chair.

"May I sit?"
Veral
Player

Postby Bohdai on January 8th, 2010, 10:48 pm

"May I sit?"

The blue man had approached Bohdai without his knowledge. Surprising. Granted, he’d focused on the barmaid approaching him with a platter of food. She slid the plate to rest in front of him. This time, she didn’t blink.

“If needs must.” He mentally cursed himself. His accent was obvious. Storied Dhani all shared the same accent, and his fit the bill.

The girl’s brows shot up, and the blue man’s eyes glittered.

“Thank you,” He said, taking his seat. The blue man’s movements were fluid, and he moved with snake-like grace. “Before you go, Brucila. Would you kindly bring me a platter? I’d like to share this meal with my friend.”

“Of course, sir. I will be a moment.”

“No need to rush, my dear,” The blue man turned his eyes to Bohdai, who was drawing a length of steel from his waist. For a moment, the blue man tensed, but relaxed when he saw the eating knife in Bohdai’s hand.

The constrictor set the knife gently against the table, hilt placed towards him. He felt awkward eating when he was being stared at, and so returned the gesture. Slate grey met jade green, and they held the gaze. The blue man did not even glance at the girl when she set his platter before him, just gave her a curt thank you.
Bohdai
Player

Character sheet

Postby Veral on January 8th, 2010, 11:34 pm

Although his smile came naturally, he felt ill at ease inside. He was not used to being around another of his kind. He had spent too much time with the Jamoura, a kind and more peaceful race.

Letting his eyes fall, he was the first to let the gaze break. Tapping at his jacket, he searched for something before sighing softly and letting another smile spread across his face. "Brucila! My dear, would you mind bringing me a spare knife please? I seem to have forgotten mine own." Chuckling softly to himself, he returned his gaze to the man infront of him, who still regarded him with suspicious eyes.

"No need to wait for me, friend. Please, enjoy your food." He smiled disarmingly at the man, and picked up the knife that the lady had brought for him. "Have you just arrived to the city?"

The man said nothing, only nodded slowly as he took a bite of his meal, his eyes only reserved for Veral at that moment.

"Ah, I haven't seen you around, that is all. Come to see the sights?" He hoped to get a few more words out of the man's mouth, to confirm his Dhani blood.

"Who asks?" The man was obviously suspicious of him. He should be more careful when approaching with such prying questions.

"How silly of me. You must forgive me, I haven't introduced myself, yet. Have I? My name is Veral. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to, if you don't mind me asking."
Veral
Player

Postby Bohdai on January 8th, 2010, 11:57 pm

"How silly of me. You must forgive me, I haven't introduced myself, yet. Have I? My name is Veral. Who do I have the pleasure of speaking to, if you don't mind me asking."

“I am named Bohdai Glemm, though, most call me Bohd,” His meal tasted bland in his mouth, but he ate anyways.

I have never before been questioned in this way. The thought came unwillingly. Interrogated, more like. Did Veral suspect?

“Well met, then, Bohdai Glemm,” Veral said, taking a small piece of his meal up with his knife. He inspected it before placing it in his mouth, and chewing long. He swallowed, and continued. “A goodly meal. The landlord’s wife is truly a skilled chef. Is she not?”

“She is,” Bohd was not a man for pointless banter, and took another sip from his mug. A clear ending to his speech.

Veral smiled, “Now, I must admit, I have never heard such an accent as yours. May I ask from where you hail?”

Bohdai was like to lunge across the table and crush the little man’s throat, but he retrained himself. Attention was bad for one such as he. Instead, Bohdai took another bite. Chewed. Swallowed. “I was born in Falyndar,” Not a lie. “But I have travelled much since birth.”

“Ahh, Falyndar. A dangerous place,” Veral smiled over his wine. “You must be a dangerous man, to carry such a blade,” He indicated Bohd’s bastard sword with his borrowed knife. “Or, is it merely a display? I have known many who wear a sword upon their hip to deter unwanted trouble.”

Bohdai furrowed his brow. The man’s questions were becoming more pointed. It was a known fact the Dhani lived in the jungles. He did share some features of the Myrians, though, who also inhabited Falyndar. Perhaps he had an escape. “One learns much in Taloba.”
Bohdai
Player

Character sheet

Postby Veral on January 14th, 2010, 8:49 pm

Deceit. Good. Someone who could keep calm under questioning. Another attribute I might need from a companion.

"Taloba? Ah, you're a Myrian!" He bobbed his head absent-mindedly as he skewered a piece of meat with his knife. Raising it to his mouth, he sniffed at it, and let his tongue dart out quickly, imitating the feeding habits of a snake. A slight smile spread across his face as he devoured the meat on his knife. Gesturing with his knife, with wide, non-threatening sweeps, he made eye contact with the man in front of him. "I have to say though... your name is odd for that of a Myrian." He watched the big man as his eyes shifted from his plate to himself.

The silence was golden, to Veral. And all but confirmed his own thoughts. , So, he IS a Dhani. He let the silence drag on some more before he chuckled lightly. "I did not mean to alarm you fri-"

"Where are you from, then? Your accent is as odd as you say mine is." The man had sat back, examining Veral with his eyes and he crossed his arms across his body.

Taken aback, Veral sat back, and smiled a smile that he did not feel. Perhaps it was best to be truthful here. "Me? Why, I am from the Eyktol region. However, as you can see, I am not an Eypharian." He let the smile linger.
Veral
Player

Postby Bohdai on January 14th, 2010, 9:46 pm

"Me? Why, I am from the Eyktol region. However, as you can see, I am not an Eypharian." He let the smile linger.

He’s a slimy one, then. Bohdai glared at Veral. He’s a slimy one, and he knows.

“Look, just tell me what you want,” Bohdai said. “And if you don’t want anything, petch off.”

Veral’s smile did not waver, in fact, it widened. The Dhani, and Bohdai knew him for a Dhani now, set his knife down on the table, blade oriented towards Bohdai. “You admit it through your lies and half-truths, Dhani,” His smile slipped. “It isn’t so much what I want, either. I need a sword arm. Set down your knife, Bohdai, and let me explain.”

Warily, Bohdai set down his knife, hilt towards himself. “Explain, then.”
Bohdai
Player

Character sheet

Postby Veral on January 14th, 2010, 10:14 pm

Relief flooded through him as the Dhani laid his knife down. As if he had entered the eye of the storm, the calm, all the tension melted away. However, caution was needed. A storm could always brew again.

"I am not your typical Dhani. Some, like our fathers, wed the women of their clan. Some, like you, wed their sword and adventure. And some, like me, wed knowledge." He frowned, and pondered on what he would say, choosing cautious words. "I seek knowledge. From books, to tablets, to rare types of pottery, or rare steel. Anything that can tell me about what makes this very world." He motioned at the room around him. "Who designed this room? Why this design? Why these materials? Could those materials become anything else? What's the best way to unmake this room?"

He cut himself short as the young serving girl, Brucila came to pick up their empty plates. He smiled disarmingly at her, an winked as she turned away. Without turning, or letting his smile fall, he carried on explaining to the Dhani. "What makes the body so curvaceous? Why are we so pulled by such things?" He returned his gaze back to Bohdai.

"The thing is, friend, is that to find these things, I require to travel. And this world is dangerous, my friend. There are things out there that would snap me up in an instant, and not think twice about it. If that happens, then what is the point in me amassing all this knowledge? No one will know. No one will find out. Who will know, that Veral found out such things? No one. No one will care."

He motioned at the blade beside Bohdai. "And so, the Gods look upon me, and smile, and send me a person to help me. But I have a test to pass first, and that is to get your attention, without dying in the process!" He grinned sheepishly at his own suggestion, but grew sober again soon. Cautiously, he leant on the table and leant his head upon his fists, looking at Bohdai.

"What's in it for me, you might ask. I noticed earlier, your lack of adaptability with the human society, or societies, shall I add. I will not say that I will teach you, for I am not a master in such things myself. However, I am more adapted to society more than you, and I can help you. In cities, you shall be safer with me, and in the wild, I shall be more safer with you. A simple trade. I might also mention the amount of money we might amass with the knowledge we find."
Veral
Player

Postby Bohdai on January 14th, 2010, 10:36 pm

Bohdai listened the whole explanation through; when Veral stopped, he pondered a moment.

“You are too intelligent by half, and too conniving by far,” Bohdai said, taking up his knife. Veral flinched, but had no weapon at hand. Brucila had taken the borrowed eating knife away. Slowly, the Constrictor reached across the table. He stopped, the tip hovering an hair’s breadth from Veral’s nose. I could imagine those cunning eyes crossing. “Well met, then Veral. You have yourself a deal.”

His acceptance spoken in their native language, Bohdai wiped the knife’s blade clean on the sleeve of Veral’s coat. As he withdrew the knife, Bohdai could see Veral relax. “I will assume you have a room rented at the Traveler’s Row.”

Veral nodded, and they rose together. “That I do, shall we leave on the morrow?”

“If needs must.”

Bohdai slapped a small amount of coins on the table, enough to cover his meal. Veral did the same. The Viper bid farewell to Kevith, and they left the Rearing Stallion behind, one holding the door for the other like long time friends. Neither trusted the other, but in the world they grew up in, trust ill-placed was a death well-gained. It would come with time.

*Note: Spendings
Veral’s Spendings: 12 GM and 9 SM Enough to purchase a bottle of wine, and food enough to cover his stay, including a meal to break his fast on the morrow. Included is his stay at the Traverler's Row.
Bohdai’s Spendings: 9 SM Enough to purchase his supper, and a mug of brew, and a meal to break his fast on the morrow. Included is his stay at the Traverler's Row.

Bohdai
Player

Character sheet

Next