[The Docks] Arrival [solo]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A half-collapsed city of alabaster and gold fiercely governed by Eypharians. Even partially ruined, it is the crown of the desert and a worthy testament to old glories and rising powers.

Postby Reshimi on June 5th, 2011, 8:16 pm

Season of the Summer, Day 17, 511 AV

Anticipation clutched at her belly as the woman waited, wide-eyed and open-mouthed at the side of the merchant ship. Birds coasted on the light breeze, their squawks adding to the cacophony of the port. Ahnatep, squatting stubbornly between sand dunes and unnatural spurts of green, dominated the horizon in a haze of gilded power. Ships crept forward, barely afloat in the water, while men scurried to anchor safely. Large stone columns rose from the water, supporting a well-used wooden dock.

Her own ship slid home, and she stepped aside cautiously. Sailors ran across the deck with heavy footfalls; the sails were drawn up; the anchor was let down; and the Captain barked commands. Reshimi had learned some sailing tricks during her two weeks, helping as payment for travel, but docking was a daunting unknown. Thankfully, no one paid her mind.

"We've finally made it," Amar said. "I worried we would not arrive." He was a scholar and fellow passenger, and they had formed a shaky friendship on their shared journey.

"But we did."

"The gods were smiling on us. What will you do in the city?"

She lifted her shoulders. "I do not know. The stone seems so permanent, I wonder if I can be here."

"Ahnatep did survive the Valterrain, afterall," he said. She smiled in turn. Reshimi had lived a life of a wanderer, only occasionally venturing into a city for trade - and leaving soon after. Never before had she slept in a building.

"The ramp is down," Sutir said. He strode across the deck, his bag securely slung over his broad shoulder. Tall and skinny, Loardbel slouched behind him. "We should leave before they unload the cargo."

"Suni is still below deck," she said. Her horse had survived the trip, and Reshimi was anxious to give the desertbred some fresh air. Two weeks spent in a dark hull had wreaked havoc on the animal's already skittish attitude. Now, feeling the people bustle through the streets, Reshimi wondered if Ahnatep would do any help.

"Reshimi," Amar said. He motioned with his head, and she stepped aside with him. He embraced her quickly, stepping back with a red-tinged face. "I hope to be in the Halls of Peret. Come call on me, if you are ever in need of help."

"Thank you," she said, her voice low with gratitude. She could offer him no promises in return, which made his last words so meaningful. They parted with another small hug complimented with smaller smiles.

Reshimi
Abayla Woman of the Kalanue Tribe

Words: 31281
Joined roleplay: May 23rd, 2011, 8:45 pm
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Reshimi on June 5th, 2011, 9:53 pm

Reshimi walked carefully down the wooden ramp, wary of both her horse and deadly splinters. Her feet were rough, but the worn wood was rougher. Her horse shifted, shaking her head. "Sush, sush," she said. The woman patted the beast's neck, checking the blind that covered its eyes.

"You might want to put your sandals on," Sutir said, looking up from the bottom of the ramp.

"I will," she said. Finally, after many snide remarks from the foreign sailors, Reshimi touched the deck.

"I'll hold her." Sutir took the reigns, and Reshimi dug in her pack. The sandals were unworn and felt strange against her feet. But a city, she was told, was no where to walk without shoes - no matter how clean.

"Thank you. Where to now?" she said. They had arrived, but she was at a loss.

"Not here," Loardbel said. He hovered behind her horse, standing tall and surveying the docks.

"No," Sutir said, "we'll search for an inn. It'd be nice to have a soft bed." He turned, and Reshimi followed.

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Reshimi on June 6th, 2011, 1:28 am

She stared in undisguised awe as they meandered quickly through the city streets. Men and women, adorned in a little amount of clothing and a copious amount of jewels, sauntered by. Benshirans, wrapped tightly in colorful fabric, shied away from these powerful four, or even six, armed humanoids. They were the ones in power, it seemed, and Reshimi guided her horse to the sidelines. She did not want to become the target of their angry gazes and harsh words.

Carts, laden with people or good, lumbered behind exhausted horses and tough travelers. One scene of haggard men and women, tied together and pushed along, brought her to a harsh stop. She could not stop staring at the pitiful state of the slaves, a sight never seen in the desert. It was disgusting: the dirt, the looks, the pain.

She whipped her head away in self-loathing, for she could do nothing for them, and wanted to free them. But, at the same time, the woman certainly did not want to cross the Eypharians.

Why was she so timid? Was it their majestic jewels, glimmering in the sunlight, that made her feel, for the first time in her life, poor? Or perhaps the grandeur of the city and the knowledge that this - this - was all theirs, and the Chaktawe had only tents?

"I think this place will be good to host," Sutir said. They stood in front of a small building, a gold-laced sign proclaiming something. She squinted, her lips moving over the letters. I - N - N. Reshimi recognized the letters, but not the word.

"Do they have a stable?" she asked. Her companion nodded.

"Most likely. Let's go look." He mounted the squat stairs, pushing aside the curtain to the interior.

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Reshimi on June 6th, 2011, 1:43 pm

Reshimi left her horse tethered to a post outside and cautiously climbed the staircase. It was white stone, dominated by statues on either side. The interior was simple yet beautiful, opening to a garden in the middle of the inn. A woman scribbled on a paper, ignoring her visitors.

"Excuse me," Sutir said, walking to the desk. She did not look up. "Ugh, excuse me?" Again, they were ignored. The trio stood helpless in the lobby, sharing looks of confusion and subtle shrugs.

Finally, she stood and looked at them coolly. Two of her arms were braced on the table, the other two crossed. "Welcome to Beautiful Hues. How may I help you?" Her words were kind, but her deliverance dripped with sarcasm, annoyance, and obvious racism.

Sutir floundered, uncomfortable and unaccostomed to the disrespect. "We need a room. No, two rooms."

"How many nights?" she said.

"Two, no five, no. We don't know."

"The price is 5 silver mizas, per day each. So, ten silver mizas."

"I am also in need of a stable," Reshimi said, standing to the side. The woman's eyes descended on her, and she squirmed uncomfortably.

"We don't offer that service here," she said. "However, there is a decent stable nearby."

Sutir looked to Reshimi, questioning with his eyes. "Perhaps I can receive a discount on the room?" In her time bargaining in Yahebah, she learned that one can always ask for less.

"No. Five per room, no more, no less. Have you made your decision?"

Reshimi nodded quickly. She shouldn't have asked. "That will do."

"Then let me show you to your rooms."

Reshimi

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets