[Flashback] Times Turned Scary [Solo]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Far below the water's surface is the living coralline city of the Charodae, Charbosi. Inaccessible to those who cannot breathe underwater, Charbosi is a city of culture and peace. [Lore]

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 2:22 am

Season of the Summer, Day 10, 500 AV

The child stood at the edge of the cliff, her toes tickling the edge. The sun beat down heavily on her bare shoulders, sucking the water from her skin quickly. She bit her lip in fear.

"Come on, turtle!" her sister yelled from the water, so far below. "You're taking too long!"

"It's so far!" Candira shouted back. Maybe she should just climb back down ... Their mother had said they should not break the surface, anyway.

"Hurry up, I want to go!" her brother, hanging from a tree branch, complained.

"Alright, alright!" She took a deep breath of the salty air, and leaped from the cliff face with the screech of a dolphin and the joy of a bird.
Candira
A Curious Soul

Words: 26228
Joined roleplay: June 3rd, 2011, 6:03 pm
Race: Charoda
Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 2:54 am

She was unprepared for the crushing force of the water as her small body hit the surface with a splash. Her yell was cut off quickly, and the Charoda could feel her cartillage bones compress. It was a funny feeling, and she surfaced quickly with a grin.

"Wasn't that great?" her sister said, swimming over easily.

"The best thing ever!" she practically shouted, kicking to a rock. Only yesterday, a fellow friend at school had told them about the cliff in a hushed voice: half a day's travel away, the cliff was sheer and dropped into a deep ocean. There were only a few scattered rocks, easily avoided, and many trees at the top. Her sister, ever the adventurer, cajoled Candira and their twin brother, Nishem, to travel the far distance.

"I knew you'd love it!" Danee said. She quickly made her way to the small shore, gripping a branch and pulling herself up. "Ready for another round?" she dared.

Candira looked up. "Sure!"

"Hey! Wait a bell!" Her brother's head peered over the side. "I haven't even gone yet!"

"So hurry up, you turtle!" Candira said in return.

"Oh, like you didn't take a whale's breath time," he complained and, after a few moments, through himself into the water below.
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 3:16 am

After only a few more jumps, Candira's body ached with the effort. She sat on a fallen tree, squishing her webbed toes into the strange mud, while her two siblings concocted a game - something about who could jump the furthest out. The girl was entertained by the mud for a little while; wet dirt was never found on the ocean floor. But it soon became drab, and her gaze wandered to the tree line.

I wonder what's in there ... Imagine if she collected a fancy land trinket? The girl grinned to herself, trying and failing to imagine what could be lurking in the shadowy, forest trees.

"I'll be back in a whale's breath," she said.

Nishem responded. "Alright, clamshell. Go hide from the game!"

She snorted, her tentacles shaking as she shook her head. "I'd beat you both any day," she said. "Instead, I'm going to find something special!" With her bold declaration hanging tauntingly in the air, she turned and dashed into the leafy underbrush.
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 3:28 am

Candira pushed aside a heavy branch, skirting past before letting go. It twisted back to its original position, and the girl stared at it. The forest was so unlike the ocean; trees and plants blocked the area around her, whereas water would continue uninterrupted on the ocean floor. Well ... she could smell the salt water easily, and had no fear of becoming lost.

The girl covered ground quickly, accustomed to pushing through water. This air was light, if not damp from a recent rainfall. Drops hung from the broad leaves and stuck to her bare skin. "Makutsi," she whispered. "Are you here, too?" The girl paused, shoulders hunched in anticipation and fingers gripping her scavenger bag. Her people worshiped the Goddess of Water regularly, and water in such a foreign place was a comfort to the small Charoda. No goddess appeared and no raincloud consumed the sky; she breathed a soft sigh.

"Makutsi is elsewhere," a silky voice answered. Candira stood straight, fear rippling her fins. A woman, sleek and powerful, with decorated hair and sharp tattoos, emerged from behind a tree. A lopsided, sharp and calculating grin was plastered on her pierced face. "I am here, though."
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 12:17 pm

"Hello," she said in her most polite Common. Her mother and father taught the girl to always remain cordial and welcoming to any race.

"Hello, girl," the woman said. "What are you doing so far from home?"

"Exploring," Candira said. "Why do you travel?"

"Searching." A branch broke under her bare foot as she stepped closer. "Someone has been hunting in this area. Has it been you, little Charoda?"

"No, no!" The girl shook her head vehnemently, taking a cautious step away. You have to be nice, you have to be nice! "I don't hurt anything!"

"Oh, really? Well, I'm hurting, and I think it's your fault!" The woman lunged forward, fingers outstretched. Her nails scratched along Candira's smooth skin.

"What are you doing?" she screamed, flailing backward from the attack. Was she not polite enough? "Where is your peace, friend?"

"I am no friend of the Charoda!"
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 12:33 pm

She was confused and frightened in the face of such a monster. Her fins shook, though she maintained her ground. From her mouth spouted the philosophy of her people. "We all have to be friends! Mizahar is the land for everyone!"

"No!" she growled. "Falyndar is Myri's land. You fish stay in the water, and I kill if you come here!"

Candira threw herself to the ground as the woman sliced a knife through the air. She slipped on the mud as she scrambled to her feet and ran, ran, from the attacking woman. Tears filled her eyes and her webbed hands knocked branches and leaves away. What had she done wrong? A branch whipped across her face, and she paused, clutching her cheek.

Where did the woman go? Mizahar was for everyone! She would not fight, even if she knew how!

"Give up already?" the woman said, leaping over a log. Candira, faster on land, had gained heading. But stopping allowed the Myrian to catch up.

She ran again, following the sent of her ocean. If she could just escape into the surf ... Candira would never have to tell anyone! The forest ended suddenly, and the blue water stretched invitingly beyond the cliff face. She gasped.

"Candira, what happened?" her sister said, rushing to her.
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 12:53 pm

"I, I ... " she panted.

"She probably just missed us!" her brother said, lifting himself from the cliff face. Water dripped from his blue body, and he grinned with small, pointed teeth.

"No," Candira said, clutching her sister's hand. "We have to jump." She dashed to the edge, practically pushing her sister off despite her yells of protest at her aggressive actions. "Go!" She turned to Nishem. Why wasn't he coming?

She was too late. The woman held her brother, gripping his scalp tentacles. Nishem's bottom lip quivered as he struggled and yelled, "Who is this? What did I do?"

The woman cackled, savoring the lost look on Candira's face. "This is what happens to tresspassers!" she said. Her knife came violently down on Nishem's collar bone. His rubbery skin slipped apart; his cartilage bones were sliced to pieces. She twisted the weapon, and his cries dimmed. Blood seemed from the wound, tracing rivulets down his wet body.

Tears came to Candira's eyes as she witnessed her brother's violent murder. His pale lips gasped for air and his fingers clutched weakly at the knife. To soon, he stopped moving, and the Myrian pulled the knife away. His body hit the ground with a thud, carelessly tossed aside.

Nishem did not move.

"You're next!"

Candira panicked, doing the only thing possible: she turned and leaped off the cliff into the welcoming waters below.
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 1:04 pm

The impact was none too pleasant, and Candira surfaced next to her sister.

"What's going on up there?" she said. "Candira, tell me, what's happening!"

The woman leaned over the edge, hair blowing like a halo. "Swim away, fish, and don't come back!" she yelled. "This kill is mine!" Her head vanished, and Danee turned accusingly to Candira.

"Did you kill something? Mother will be angry!"

She shook her head sadly. "No ... it's Nishem. She ... she ... " Her sheltered mind could not take the events, and she descended into uncontrolled sobbing. Realization dawned on Danee only moments later; she, too, began to cry. Clutching each other, the girls mourned their brother and the body they would never have, the life that was ended too soon, and the irreversibly of it all. Their sunny day on the cliff had turned dark with death.
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Candira on June 6th, 2011, 1:05 pm

Flashback Completed
Candira
A Curious Soul

Character sheet

Postby Rage on June 6th, 2011, 2:21 pm

GRANTING OF XP

Candira
Running - 1xp
Persuasion - 1xp

Lores:
Myrians own Falyndar
Myrians are merciless
Brutal killing
Never trespass in Falyndar
Death of a sibling

Notes:
A good first attempt at a solo. You've captured the Charoda's peaceful nature quite decently. I would like to have awarded more but you did not really do much with your PC. I suggest reading other players' solos to see how they do it and how their threads are graded to get an idea of what to do if you're aiming to get more XP in your solo threads.

Also, couple of things you may have missed in the lore:
1.) It mostly rains during the summer in Falyndar. It rains so much the Kandukta Basin will flood the surrounding area.
2.) Myrians eat Charoda. They are considered a delicacy. Something to keep in mind when you decide to venture inland once more. :)
3.) The jungle is dangerous, especially for children. Myrians are not the only dangerous creatures roaming it. I will let this slide for now as this is your first thread. We'll just consider this a story of three two lucky Charodae who managed to get away from danger.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office