w.i.n.t.e.r.i.z.e.d (-open-)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

w.i.n.t.e.r.i.z.e.d (-open-)

Postby Evarette Karmine on January 8th, 2010, 1:28 am

(-38th of Winter, 509 AV-)

Snow blanketed the world, muting everything into monochromatic variations between vivid white and icy onyx. The sky was a rippling sheet of gray cloud, looming low overhead as though pausing to consider whether or not the earth below was sufficient enough in it's winter gown of pristine white. A silence hung in the air, as though the snow had muffled not only the vibrant, rolling landscape...but it's atmosphere as well.

Standing in stark contrast to the world around him, Ivar blew a long sigh from his chest, watching the cloud of frosted air move skyward with waning interest. A camp had been struck amidst the relics of a village, by which the large Nightwalker stood at ease. Evarette had just pitched her small tent, as night was threatening to descend quickly behind the heavy cloud cover. It was too late to hunt, and therefore she was grudgingly resigned to pack rations. However pressing the need for food and shelter was, though, Eva could not tamp down her want of exploration for long. Keeping Ivar within her sights, she'd taken a stroll through the crumbled remains of what hinted at a flourishing city at one time, long ago.

Evarette felt as though she was trapped in some sort of dream-scape, moving amongst the snow-laden ruins of what appeared to be once an altar of some sort. Broken slabs of stone were arrayed into a circled, some leaning against one another as though succumbing to the tests of time. Eva smiled as she brushed the powdery flakes from the face of one, scrutinizing the characters inscribed upon it with some consideration. It was of a tongue she was unfamiliar with, but the shape of the script was pleasing to the eye.
Last edited by Evarette Karmine on January 9th, 2010, 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evarette Karmine
My Heart is True as Steel

Words: 62165
Joined roleplay: November 29th, 2009, 4:56 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Re: w.i.n.t.e.r.i.z.e.d (-open-)

Postby Rohnn on January 8th, 2010, 2:59 am

Rohnn loved the winter months, no matter how fond he was of the green grazing grass and the leaves swaying in a steady breeze. He loved the majestic beauty that the snow seemed to provide, redesigning and reshaping all things into it's own mind's image. He waded through the fluffy clouds that had taken to coating the floor with a texture warm in appearance but quite the opposite against his feet. With each step came a white puffy foot covering freezing cold fur. In this weather, he was like a wet dog but he enjoyed the freedom of wandering in such wondrous conditions.

The ape-like humanoid was now yeti-esque as fur from all over his body caught the snow as it fell; leaving only his black, leathery chest exposed. In fact, he could probably be mistaken for one from a distance. He stopped in awe as the last produce of the season hung gently from a branch, glowing gloriously in a delicate crimson hue. The berry belonged to a rather tall, now leafless, tree not far from the ruins of an old village. Rohnn particularly loved this part of the forest not because it was destroyed in the Valterrian (sp?), perhaps feeding his desire for revenge of the past atrocities of it's old inhabitants, but purely because it was uninhabited. The nature was untouched. Pure. With woodland critters transforming the wasted remains of a lost village into new homes and shelter. Plants winding and nuzzling the stone slabs lovingly, incorporating them into the beautiful image of their lives. Rohnn picked the berry, not with hunger but rather great respect. Sniffing it curiously and examining the specimen. He didn't have much knowledge in the vast field of herb-lore but it was a passion of his; however undeveloped it may be. After looking the thing over for a while he threw it up, catching it in his bear trap styled jaw.

"Mmmm"

He moaned lovingly. After all, there's nothing better than the gifts of Mother Nature. Weaving fruits from each Tree's loom in many forms. The large creature took a seat in the snow to savour the moment. He lay back, still chewing lightly and rolling the berries up and around his cheek with the tip of his tongue. Staring up at the sky, he sighed in content.

'Truly a great day'
Rohnn
Player

Words: 4125
Joined roleplay: December 23rd, 2009, 3:15 am
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Dayvon on January 8th, 2010, 5:22 am

Dayvon was not used to the cold. In fact he doubted he ever would be. It had been five years since he left his home land. Five years spent wandering, five years wondering if he had made a mistake. It was cold here, that was without a doubt, but it was also peaceful. A fact that made his Myrian soul a trifle restless. He was used to the chaos and brutality of the jungle. Compared to that, this forest was mighty change indeed.

He had been checking the traps he'd set in previous nights. He'd had a small spot of luck with the last such trap. It also happened to be the one farthest from his camp. He had tethered the horse some distance off, he didn't need it's crushing hooves disturbing whatever prey may be scurrying about, but alas the precaution wasn't needed. It was a mere rabbit and it had got itself entangled in the snare quite thoroughly, it was simple matter to cut it's throat and clean the carcass.

The rabbit, bound and slung over his shoulder like a too heavy coat on a hot day, would be his dinner for the night.

That was when he saw them.

Tracks the likes of which he had never seen. It must have been a massive animal by the way penetrated into the snow. He thought maybe an ape at first, but the gait was off. No this animal walked like a human would, the tracks were not those a shuffling ape. Besides he doubted an ape would have chosen this climate anyway. Now Dayvon's curiosity got the best of him. He was deliberately trying to be quiet as he followed the trail, but stealth is near impossible wear snow is involved and he imagined his crushing footfalls could be heard easily in the distance. For this reason, he kept his free hand on the hilt of his shortsword.

For a moment, the moon peeked out from the cloud and illuminate the world around him, making snow glow bright. Then it hid once more and he had only the dull white of the ground to the light his path. Then he realized how much beauty this land had to offer, and a feeling of stillness entered him once more. He stared intently at the tracks as he trudged through the snow with renewed haste, his breath a hot mist in his wake. He hoped to catch a glimpse of the creature at least, to see yet another thing unknown to his people...

Then he crashed into a tree.

The air left his lungs with a quiet "Umpf!!" as he tumbled backwards into the snow.

"Shit. I hope no one saw that."
He said quietly to himself as he looked at what he had run into. Then he saw that it was no tree... but a creature. The impact had caused the snow covering its fur to drop in clumps to the ground, like a sapling that had just had its branches shaken. He stared up cautiously, wondering what exactly he had just run into.
Dayvon
PARTY ON (your name here... IN CAPS) !!!

Words: 3574
Joined roleplay: January 6th, 2010, 8:16 pm
Race: Myrian
Character sheet

Postby Rohnn on January 8th, 2010, 9:43 pm

Rohnn's eyes were diverted from the scenery by an odd sensation rippling through his right arm. He turned, shifting his focus from the snow covered trees to a slightly smaller, snow covered object. A creature had landed in the snow after colliding with a rather large object; Rohnn. The Jamoura's large, deep eyes examined the humanoid; scanning his form many times over.

The thing that lay before him was human, or so it seemed, his Myrian features (as Rohnn had first picked up) were only decieved by the lack of tribal ornaments; despite the tatoos. He looked confused as if he, too, was trying to figure out what had just happened. Rohnn cautiously extended a leathery-skinned hand, offering to help the man up. The man's body was almost buried in the snow and his hair had been covered in the fluffy white substance. He smiled reassuringly, hoping not to scare the man too much.

"Are you okay there?"

The over-sized yeti asked through a rather frightening full tooth smile, the teeth were easily the size of the man's thumbs.
Rohnn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Dayvon on January 9th, 2010, 5:07 am

The Myrian man named Dayvon simply stared for a moment. Deep inside himself he felt fear threatening to well up. The creatures lips curled back exposing a predatory grin. He didn't know if it was meant to be that way, it was simply what he saw. Fear, as deep and as rotting as Von had ever felt swelled. He smothered it with an efficiency only a Myrian was capable of. He seen all the violence and horror Mizahar had to offer. What was one petty monster?

He instinctively reached for the hilt of his word only to find himself half buried by snow.The bite of the cold chilled him again and he shook head to relieve it of the snow, the way a dog would after a swim. The creatures eyes made him feel foolish, they were wiser than he had anticipated, not the dull glaze of a beast, but alert and aware.

Von's mouth hung agape for a moment after the creature spoke, more out of surprise than anything. Then after his mind processed the words he morphed his lips into an amused grin. Von eyed him for moment longer, with mischief dancing in his eyes.

He raised his arms in a gesture that said 'oh! your talking to me?'

"Oh this is nothing." He said casually, his voice traced with laughter. His face was one of smugness. " I do this all the time."

He grasped the creatures enormous hand, it seemed to swallow his own. He spoke as he rose. "In fact, your the fifth strange creature I have accidentally bumped into this week." Sarcasm was laced in Von's voice. "My fault entirely big guy. I hope I haven't offended you." He struck this home with a hearty slap on the gigantic creatures back.

He bent down to retrieve his pack, the contents of which were now scattered in the snow. "What are you doing out here anyway?" He said as he hoisted the reassemble pack around his shoulders. "I was just catching my dinner when I saw your tracks" Von shrugged and chuckled again. "and well, I guess just couldn't help myself."
Dayvon

Character sheet

Postby Rohnn on January 9th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Rohnn sighed in relief as the creature's eyes turned from partial shock to ease at the recognition of his apparent sentience. He laughed as it's almost doll-sized hand, to a Jamoura at any rate, was drowned his own. 'In fact, you're the fifth strange creature I've accidentally bumped into this week' he heard it say. Rohnn laughed heartily, even his breath seemed to be more extreme than the fragile man's as each one blew the its hair like a strong gust.

"Then I should think you've been lucky!"

He returned the hearty slap on the back with one of his own, not looking down to see the reaction that the man had given. He pondered who the man could be. His apparel suggested hunter yet there was something odd about his aura. Something...not human. The tribal markings indicated a different upbringing.. perhaps Myrian, but there was no way he could be sure.

"I enjoy nature and experiencing it in all it's glory"

Rohnn smiled.

"We Jamoura are known for our connection with nature... Caiyha saved us and taught us of her ways... But that's a different story"

There was still so much he had to teach but first there must be a willing and worth student. That, of all things, had to be proven.
Rohnn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Evarette Karmine on January 9th, 2010, 8:39 pm

The subtle swell of voices reached Evarette's as she knelt by one of the large stone remnants of the altar, causing her to hesitate. Had she been mistaken? Were these ruins inhabited after all? She cast a quick, anxious glance around, before peeking around the slab of stone in front of her. What met her eyes was enough to cause her mouth to drop agape in amazement...

A large, ape-like creature, dusted in snow, stood powerfully over another man, who was brutish and almost feral in appearance. Despite the obvious difference in size and species, they seemed to be having an amiable exchange. Eva blinked, as thought it might help her reach some plain of understanding...she'd never seen the like before, though Riverfall had introduced her to much she'd lacked on learning about the world.

Though she doubted they would give her much trouble, she cast a glance over her shoulder to assure her of Ivar's presence nearby. He was right where she'd left him, dark ears pricked forward as he'd no doubt detected the newcomer's arrival. Tugging a dark curl from her cheek, Evarette crept backward, hoping to make a silent retreat back to her campsite. She didn't wish to be ferreted out as an unintentional spy. Unfortunately, the snow-laden ground concealed the branch upon which she tread next, creating an audible *crack* that denounced her position clear as day. Evarette froze, her indigo eyes darting back to the conversing pair, as they would no doubt be led on to her presence now...
Evarette Karmine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dayvon on January 10th, 2010, 6:41 am

A massive cloud of mist blasted against the cold, wet, and increasingly miserable, myrians face as the massive Jamoura boomed with laughter. He was also unprepared for the enthusiastic slap on the back he received. The impact drove every ounce of air from his lungs, and Von stood their silently gasping for air unbeknown to his giant companion of course.

After regaining his composure (and pride), the Myrian walked casually over to his rabbit while listening to the fellow. He heard something about nature and Caiyha, but what most put Dayvon at ease was the fact that the massive beast was good-natured, he really didn't need any trouble tonight.

Von turned his gaze back to the Jamoura as he slung the rabbit over his shoulder. " Ah, I've heard of the Jamoura!" Then he began to ramble a bit. "Well I guess I've heard the name is all, not really what your people looked like or where your from, I guess not really anything in fact. Apart from the name of course. Where did I hear that again was it... no that's not it..." He scratch his tiny dark beard. Then raise his finger to the sky in exclamation "That's right it was from Silvo the Pir--"

Then he heard the twig snap.

He was silent in an instant and the hand that had just been exclaiming was morphed into the universal signal for quiet, even though he had been the one doing all the talking. He been in enough battles and done enough hunting to recognize the sound of someone sneaking around in the bush. He suddenly wished he had his bow and scolded himself silently for being foolish enough to think he wouldn't need it. He silently drew his sword and turned to the direction of the sound. Von whispered. "We're being watched... someone is over there..." He pointed his sword at the woods surrounding one of the dilapidated cottages.

Von's eyes were no longer merry, they had turned predatory, reverting back to his Myrian upbringing, the killer you could never erase. He glanced at the Jamoura with those merciless eyes, "... and they don't wish to be seen." His body was a half crouch, and tense. "It must know its found out. Perhaps you should call out to it before it starts hurling arrows at us." He said this with slight grin, normally the grin would make him joyful, but in this light with those eyes, he simply looked deranged. And he was...
Dayvon

Character sheet

Postby Rohnn on January 11th, 2010, 3:21 am

The wind blew hard against Rohnn's dense gray fur, striking his gorilla-esque chest with a mixture of rain and snow. Rohnn loved all aspects of nature, whether it was battering violently against his chest or a breeze slowly teasing his fur. He grinned as the small man began ranting about the Jamoura and where he'd heard of the people. It made him laugh that although they were an isolated race, many had heard tales of the traveling Gorillas, teaching their ways to the people of Mizahar.

As the man began to act... dangerously, Rohnn frowned. He sniffed at the air in alert, picking up multiple scents including that of a...horse and.... a woman?

"Two of them...."

Rohnn sniffed once more.

"A horse and a woman..."

He placed a hand on the man's shoulder stilling him. The hand completely covered his shoulder and the grip would have stilled anyone. Pulling him back, Rohnn called out.

"Come. Out. Now."

growled the beast, ferociously.
Rohnn
Player

Character sheet

Postby Evarette Karmine on January 11th, 2010, 2:01 pm

At the ominous sound of the Jamoura's demand, Evarette winced. He did not sound happy. Carefully, Eva took a tentative step forward, peeking around the stone structure that had previously obscured her from view. Lifting her hand, she waggled her fingers in a hesitant wave, her lips forming an anxious smile that preceded her words...

"Ah, hello there."

Silently condemning herself for not having much to say in such a situation, Eva took another step forward and stood apart from what was once the stone altar. Her hands clasped in front of her, she traded her indigo eyes between the pair anxiously. Blade nor Nightwalker made her the equal combatant of either, and besides...both were at her camp, not even aware of her plight--

The sound of hoof falls, slow yet steady, reached Eva's ears. She did not dare tear her eyes away from the great ape and the man clasped in his giant hand...but she felt the warm puff of horse breath on her neck, and knew without turning that Ivar had stepped up behind her. He gave a low, rumbling wicker, and Eva dropped a hand to press it against his foreleg almost reflexively. The solid weight of him at her back was a small comfort.
Evarette Karmine

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next