Tracking Wiki

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Tracking Wiki

Postby Gromhir on January 10th, 2010, 5:40 pm

So I finally got around to finishing the Tracking skill article after loosing it. I'm not massively happy with it though so any criticism would be more than welcome.

Tracking

Tracking is a skill used to follow a quarry or prey by following the tracks and markings they leave. These tracks can range from footprints, campsite remains, disturbed bushes and even excrement. This is a skill normally used by hunters to follow their prey through the wilderness. However, tracking does not remain in the realm of hunting animals, it can be applied to tracking humans and other sentient creatures though this tends to be almost impossible in cities such as Syliras.

Learning the tracking skill teaches one a lot one’s self. It teaches its students the importance of looking out for details. It enforces the need to focus on specific elements of the world around them and having the commitment to keep going. Tracking is a challenging skill that is not entirely as simple as one would think. Generally, Kelvics benefit far better from tracking than any other race, especially predatory ones as they are able to use their improved senses to better track their prey.

Prerequisites and Related Skills

Wilderness Survival
Hunting
Interrogation (Urban Environments)

Novice (1-25)

A Novice has barely begun to track and does not do so very often. They spend much of their time learning the theory behind tracking and generally the feel the need to accompany a more experienced tracker but it is not required. A novice tracker starts simply learning how to identify tracks. Through this identification, they can make an assumption about the general size of an animal. They can make basic interpretations about the tracks such as direction and can vaguely distinguish between tracks made at speed and those at a slower pace.

Trackers at this level are just learning to become aware of the nature and terrain around them. They would spend a lot of time simply observing the land for signs of tracks. They can generally only spot tracks with clear patterns. They tend to only be able to see these in soft mud, wet sand and firm snow conditions. It is extremely easy to fool a novice with false tracks as they are simply happy to find something to track. Tracking humans and other such creatures is generally far out of their reach.

Competent (26-50)

Competent trackers tend to venture out on their own more often. A competent tracker is comfortable with the basics of tracking. They are able to identify tracks much quicker and can begin to make more assumptions about their quarry with greater accuracy. They can begin to tell height and weight and can better gauge the speed at which it was moving. In certain animals tracks such as bears and cats, they can also tell the sex. They can also begin to tell what an animal was doing such as feeding through observation of the surrounding area. A tracker at this level is also able to spot markings on trees indicated a creature has climbed it, these could be scarped or broken bark, broken lower branches. Tracking while up the tree is slightly more difficult.

They can now begin to spot signs made by their quarry. Maybe these are markings on a tree left by the antlers of a stag. They are also able to track over more difficult terrain such as soft clay and damper ground that is not necessarily mud. They can begin to track humans through footprints but tend to loose the trail easily. Tricking competent trackers becomes a lot harder than simply erasing footprints however as they tend to be able to spot the ground shifted oddly.

Generally, Urban tracking is a lot more difficult than through the wilds. While the skills used are virtually the same, one must change their techniques to better suit the environment around. In cities, tracks can become heavily congested with traffic that passes by day in and day out. Asking questions is usually the best way but a competent tracker will struggle.

Expert (51-75)

Experts in the tracking profession are generally sought out by lesser hunters and even authorities for helping in tracking their own quarries. They enjoy being outdoors are it is like being in a different world to them. To their trained eyes, they can spot movements of animals and herds, signs left by creatures that lesser people would not even notice. An expert tracker is less intrusive on the world around them and is more alert to ebb and flow around them. They are now confident in picking up trails left by animals and humans and are able to make accurate assumptions about the creature and any conditions they might possess. An expert has no trouble both spotting where animals climb trees but also tracking them through the branches themselves though a skill point in climbing would likely help this endeavour.

An expert tracker is able to track their foes through grassland. They can pick up tracks through the movement of leaves, pine needles and hard packed ground. They can see patterns in the landscape to judge animals movements such as disturbed plants and flowers. They are now able to fully track humans in the same way they would animals and can begin to tell the age of tracks. An expert is also able to look at several different tracks and divine what happened in the area. Be it a wolf and a deer wrestling or even a fight between bandits and Syliras Patrol.

Urban tracking becomes easier now. Especially with the help of enhanced senses. An expert has a much easier time of spotting telltale signs of a rushed escape. They also better know what questions to ask and who to ask.

Master (76-100)

A Master Tracker is an unrelenting force when it comes to following their prey. A master is as much part of the nature around him as smallest squirrel or the mightiest jungle cat. An expert tracker can tell apart two creatures of the same species by simple footprints. They can spot even the slightest movement in the dirt. They can even turn their impressive skills to tracking on over stone ground, though even this is hard for them and can be vague at times.

It is almost utterly impossible to fool a master tracker with false tracks, even if you yourself are a master tracker. They are highly sought out individuals who are at home in the wilds where the world around them speaks to them.

Last edited by Gromhir on March 1st, 2010, 5:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Words: 90232
Joined roleplay: September 25th, 2009, 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Lore Author (1) Donor (1)

Re: Tracking Wiki

Postby Kadurro on January 11th, 2010, 6:54 am

Just my opinion, but I think there should be some mention of "stealthiness". A hunter who tracks his prey would not want to alert the prey that they were being followed. This also enables Tracking to be applied to other circumstances as well (although you could debate whether a seperate "Stalking" skill could be made for that).
Kadurro
Snarky Conman

Words: 14187
Joined roleplay: January 2nd, 2010, 10:45 am
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Gossamer on January 11th, 2010, 7:02 am

Stealth and tracking are two different skills.

Basically if you have tracking, that just enables you to be able to progressively follow something better through the woods. If your quiet about it or not depends on your other skills.

Stalking won't be its own skill. Hunters stalk. Trackers stalk. It's more of an action word than anything :)

Grom I talked to you already about this article and made some suggestions. You should hit Gillar up for a comment too. The only thing I can add personally is that I'd like to see some more examples in the levels that talk about different types of terrain etc. Back in my search and rescue days I took a very cool tracking course. I think you should also add some details like heigth, weight, speed of target... at advanced levels you'd even be able to track across harder terrain and note whether someone is walking backwards in their tracks to fool those following. I think I already mentioned arboreal tracking to you.

Thats about all I can think of. Depth... it just needs depth. But its a great start!
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Stitch on January 11th, 2010, 7:21 am

Goss mentioned having some more stuff in the levels about different types of terrain, and for me, this is a really big thing. There is a huge difference in tracking someone over packed snow with no snow fall, and tracking someone through rough, hard, rocky mountain terrain. I am sure you are aware of this, but a generalized idea of what levels can do what, with that generalized idea supported by clear and concise examples...

Creature size and type should be taken into account as well, and maybe things such as what kind of trail a hunter of a specific skill can spot? There are various trails, from droppings, to footprints, to scratched bark on a tree. I know you touched on this slightly.
Stitch
Blind Man

Words: 498882
Joined roleplay: December 11th, 2009, 8:48 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 12
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (3) Advocate (1)
Donor (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gromhir on January 11th, 2010, 1:52 pm

Thanks everyone. I wasn't massively sure what you were looking for Goss but I figured it was a start. Thanks for all the feedback from everyone. I'll post a revised version up in a couple of days.
The world can make you think that everything matters. But all that really matters is that the sun rises and you enjoy what you're given.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Gromhir on January 21st, 2010, 11:53 am

Sorry for the double post.

I finally got round to updating this with the feedback but I'm not happy with it. I would appreciate more comments :)
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Gossamer on January 23rd, 2010, 6:09 pm

Prerequisites and Related Skills

Wilderness Survival
Hunting

Under Novice...

accompany a more experienced tracker.
Remember, people can learn things on their own, so I'd add - or are driven by need.

Under Competent

Lots of animals at this stage you can tell weight or sex. For example, black tail/white tail/muley bucks have dew claws visible while does do not... also depth of print = weight, splay of paw = sex in bears, cats, etc. I'd also see 'identifiying individuals if they have characteristics that stand out (broken toes, etc). Also, speed of travel - widely spaced tracks, wandering tracks, etc....

Under Expert

I'd give these guys the ability to read tracks and get a BIG PICTURE of the scene and know what happened and what the situation was.... bear stalked a beaver here... there was a scramble over there... cougar stole the carcass from the bear there... etc. This could also be true of battles, tracking bandits - individual horses have unique shoes or even barefoot prints - can tell if they are carrying normal load, double rider, laden with tradegoods etc. To a good tracker, the tracks and broken foliage or even grasses trampled should be almost like a crime scene investigator reconstructing a scene exactly.

Under Master

Love what you did there.

The whole thing...

I'd also add some urban elements to this article so its not all about tracking a critter through the woods. I'd talk about prey going skyward too... climbing trees, moving from tree to tree etc.

This is very close to being ready. You're doing a super super job.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6357243
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Gromhir on February 13th, 2010, 10:18 am

Ok, I've made the changes Goss suggested bar urban tracking.

I could do with some help on that if anyone can give it. I'm struggling.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Cayenne on February 14th, 2010, 2:13 pm

I really like this. :)

As for urban tracking... hmn. Prints in dust, following people... I have to admit I'm a little lost, too - all urban tracking references I can find are generally done with a K-9 dog. ^_^;;
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gromhir on February 14th, 2010, 2:38 pm

Yeah, I have the same problem.

Of course K-9 Tracking isn't a problem for my PC but it doesn't help others.
Gromhir
Resident Big Softy

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Next