The Sword Gauntlet. What do you think?

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Eryss Waldu on June 18th, 2011, 9:28 pm

Hey Everyone!

I’ve been experimenting with the idea of creating a secondary character to play and have run into a question concerning weapon and unarmed combat skills. Actually the question revolves more around whether a specific weapon would use a weapon skill or not. It seems like a no brainer when I put it that way but bare with me, lol.

The Sword Gauntlet is described as a metal gauntlet onto which a honed longsword blade is carefully attached. Essentially the question is would a Sword Gauntlet rely on its own weapon skill for use or could it be used in conjunction with an unarmed combat skill. The reason I ask, primarily, is because a Gauntlet or Studded Gauntlet is technically the equivalent of having a glove worn over your fist, albeit one made out of steel. Regardless it’s a safe bet to say you could use your Brawling, Boxing or Unarmed Combat skill when using one of these Gauntlets because it’s all motions of the hand and arm you could if you weren’t wearing a gauntlet at all. IE: A Punch is still a punch even if it’s amplified by a gauntlet, etc.

Does the same apply for a Sword Gauntlet, or say a Knife Gauntlet, which for the most part I’d think would rely on the same basic moves and blocks that a person could perform unarmed? Yes a Sword Gauntlet has a sword blade on it, which is the most obvious difference as compared to a regular gauntlet, but being as though it is attached to your arm and not held like a regular sword its motions would still rely on the basic mechanics of the arm wouldn’t they? If you punch then the blade is thrust ahead, if you swing your arm then you can slash with it and if you use your arm to block the sword basically acts as an extension of your arm in that case.

The way I see it is that the sword blade would technically become an extension of the arm of whomever was using that type of Gauntlet. Taking that point of view into consideration I’d be inclined to say that the weapon would use a brawl, unarmed combat or boxing skill to determine its effectiveness. This is just my opinion though and I wanted to know what the thoughts of others were on the subject.

So, please feel free to respond with your insight and tell me your thoughts! Thank you!
Eryss Waldu
Villain

Words: 240296
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2011, 11:20 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Kit Rowan on June 18th, 2011, 9:45 pm

It's not the same at all, considering your range suddenly changes. The moves that would be effective alter drastically; suddenly slashes are possible, suddenly blunt quick blows with the first are not possible . . . And it's entirely unlike anything you would do with a normal sword since it's mounted on your hand. It would have its own weapon skill.
Unless Otherwise Stated, Expect Kit To Have Already Disguised Herself With Illusionism As 'Shy' In Every Ravok Thread.
Kit Rowan
Acrobat, Sorceress, Rogue

Words: 433379
Joined roleplay: April 29th, 2011, 11:37 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (2)

Postby Eryss Waldu on June 18th, 2011, 9:52 pm

Good point. I had been thinking the same thing when I wrote the question actually. Let me expand on that though.

Would the same apply to a Knife Gauntlet? Now I personnaly have several swords, I wouldn't actually want to try using the blade of one if it was attached to a gauntlet. The description for a Sword Gauntlet specifically says a Longswards blade which on average can be anywhere around thirty-six inches in length at most.

Knife Gauntlets would be different though. In this case we're talking about a total of Nine inches or less for the blade I'd imagine which is a far cry less then a long swords blade. I think you could probably incorporate that into a brawling or unarmed combat style.

Once again though, thoughts?
Eryss Waldu
Villain

Character sheet

Postby Rage on June 18th, 2011, 10:18 pm

Hi there! You raise an interesting point but the way the game is designed, if you want to be able to use a weapon, you have to invest points in it. If you want to be able to fight without using a weapons, you take one of the unarmed disciplines. However, if you have both the skill in the weapon and a martial art skill such as Unarmed Combat, you may do things such as follow up an attack using the weapon with, say, a kick, a punch or an elbow to the face, and vice versa.

I hope this settles the issue.

Notice: I will not be available for modding in the foreseeable future until I've cleared up my backlog of Miz stuff (PC and ST-wise). Hopefully, it's a temporary thing, but we'll see. I will still grade your threads, however.
Rage
Devourer of Souls

Words: 109059
Joined roleplay: August 5th, 2010, 4:18 am
Race: Staff account
Office

Postby Eryss Waldu on June 18th, 2011, 10:23 pm

Thank you for the response! It does help quite a bit and it makes sense to me. Thanks again!
Eryss Waldu
Villain

Character sheet