Among the Sea of Drykas(Akilah, Open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Kaja on June 20th, 2011, 10:04 pm

Summer Day 17, 511 AV

It had been two week since she had been in Cyphrus, and already she had experienced a lot. Her whole journey had actually been a journey. Sometimes she had thought that she wouldn’t make it, but somehow she had made herself persevere. It was mostly an aching desire to do honor to family that she barely remembered, and bring them pride even if she was unsure if she would ever remember everything in her life. She was now in Endrykas, a place that she had been unsure that she would like. However, so far she had found it a very charming, yet rustic environment. She loved the fact that they were so proud of their culture, their striders, and their way of life. It made her long for what she couldn’t remember sometimes, but besides that she was entranced.

She wondered now around the different pavilions finally feeling having been there for a little over a week that she was starting to know her way around. She was starting to get a little bit of a name for herself as a freelance hunting and herding dog. However, she didn’t want to be freelance, she wanted to belong to someone, to serve just one person, or family. Not anyone she could find to serve at any given moment. She passed a food stall and stopped, taking a pretty red apple. She gave the correct amount of meza to pay for it glad she finally had a little money now to work with rather then just trading whatever services she could for things. Though she really wanted to be employed.

She went outside the little pavilion area, just a little outside the outskirts of it, but not much, not to go any further where they wouldn’t let her back in. She looked out off onto the sea of grass thinking it wasn’t too long ago that she was making her way toward her, had almost drowned, almost lost her life if not for a passing by hunter and hunting party to shoot down a bear that was over taking her, had met a zith which she had only found out once coming into Endrykas and describing the individual to them.

Exodus had been fun, nice, and even though they had, had a hard time communicating he had still seemed sweet. Though from what the Endrykas had said they were a not so nice group of people that ate humans. However, Exodus didn’t seem the type. He probably did though. She also had some training in unarmed combat, and then had met Erzotol. She actually hoped that she would run into him again, there was a part of her that was attracted to him she wasn’t sure if it was because she felt his demeanor would make someone she would like to serve of if it meant more, but she wouldn’t mind seeing him again.

She stood thinking these thoughts while looking out across the sea of grass to a much further place. To her home region her mind wondered to with frustrations that she couldn’t remember more of it. She hoped that her family was well, that they were doing well, and that maybe someday she would get back to them, and upon seeing her home region, her pack, and the city she grew up more of her memory would come back. Just then from behind her she heard a rustling in the grass, and spun into the crouched position of the fighters stance that Revin had taught her.
Last edited by Kaja on July 12th, 2011, 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaja
I want to belong...to someone...

Words: 94413
Joined roleplay: June 5th, 2011, 10:37 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet

Among the Sea of Drykas(open)

Postby Akilah Windsong on July 11th, 2011, 12:22 am

It didn't happen often, but occasionally Akilah got bored. Bored in the deepest meaning of the word, her mind wandering from topic to topic as she walked around the pavilions. The sky was bright, the weather warm, and maybe she wasn't bored so much as she was tired.

She had yet to figure a way to become a stormwarden, to get swirls that roam on her family's arms. Pray to Zulrav and prove yourself, her cousin told her. So she had. Ever since she had been very little, she had been praying and watching the skies, paying attention to the faintest of breezes as she tried to understand her god.

Prove yourself.

How exactly does one do that? The question ran across her mind as she walked, ignoring the mouth-watering scents of freshly baked goods that erupted from some of the tents. How does one prove themselves?

Adámas knew better than bother her when she was in a mood like that, and Vespera was sleeping on her back, tired from her morning run.

Maybe, she thought, watching the dark ruffles of his fur as he breathed in and out. His paws twitched, from a dream perhaps, and a small whine escaped his jaws. Maybe if she trained more. Maybe if she--oh, but that was probably the problem, wasn't it?

No one granted a boon to one looking for it. Her heart wasn't pure enough in this search, nor was her mind intelligent enough to make up for that imperfection.

(But it was hard, to stop searching, she had been doing this ever since she gazed at the bare arms of her cousins, ever since her uncle had saved her mother with one strong breeze.)

A soft nose brushed against her neck, and she instinctively reached up, hands caressing the perked ears of her mount.

"Yes?" If anything, Adámas always had a point when she did something.

A small nudge and she could see what her partner had seen all along, the young (and still, that was a question she wanted to ask. Was she young? Old? Did she have a birthday?) girl she had seen before.

"Oh, it's...it's..." The name escaped her for a moment, and Akilah stilled, thinking. "It's...K...Kaja!" Grinning, she burst down the beaten path, the grasses pressed down from the feet trampling on the. From the steady canter behind her, she could tell Adámas was still trotting calmly.

Always calmly. It annoyed her sometimes.

Now, in the slightly longer grass, she slowed down to a walk, watching as the other girl ate her apple. She was nice, from the conversation they had earlier, and Vespera actually responded sometimes, when Akilah tried to train her. Actually sat and responded to "Vespera" instead of "Isra" and...well, they were getting along.

The grin on her face grew wider.

Coming closer, she gave a sharp intake of breath, surprised when the other girl spun around, gracefully dropping into a position that could only be a fighter's.

So quick, the response, and so steady too. Before she realized it, Akilah crouched down too, memories of practice instinctively taking over.

"Kaja?" It had to be the same girl. Still, she didn't rise from her position. There was a whisper in the grass behind her and she knew Adámas had galloped at the hint of danger, nostrils flared at the imminent threat.

Her grandpa would be proud at this response time.

Taking in the long blondish-brown hair, the lean sway of her arms, the curve of her neck, it only had to be Kaja. No other matched her description.

Relaxing, after a moment, she held up her hands. "Ah, I wanted to thank you for Vespera. And I owe you one. Really, I do, so...well, pick your prize. Anything I can do, I'll do." Pausing, she waggled her finger threateningly. "And you'd better pick something appropriate, no," her voice went an octave higher, "'It was nothing'"

She really hated it when people pulled that, leaving her with the feeling of an unfilled debt.

Glancing at the sky once more, she breathed in the warm, dusty air with a sigh. "It's a nice day."
Akilah Windsong
Player

Words: 137515
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2011, 4:02 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet

Postby Kaja on July 11th, 2011, 1:36 am

Kaja stayed in the stance for a beat after she heard, and saw the young woman before her. The sun had glinted in her eyes and it wasn’t until she took the chance to shade her eyes that she saw that it was the girl she had met earlier in the week. She then stood up and relaxed. Smiling when her horse trotted up too, though the horse looked defense too. It was interesting to her that the Drakas were so close to their horses when most weren’t even Kelvic. She coked her head trying to think of the other girl’s name. Finally when it came to her she said, “Akilah!! My friend!!” As the affectionate being that she was she threw her arms around the other for a bear hug. When she pulled away from her new friend she also rubbed her head into her a bit. It was just her way of expressing her pleasure of seeing someone that she liked, and wanted to remain friends with.

She looked over at Adámas and nodded her head in respect to him. She knew the horses here were different here then any she had encountered anywhere else. They were smarter, and demanded more respect then most other horses because of it. She had no problem giving that respect. She wished she could speak to them like she could her own species, but that was not a gift that was given to Kelvics to be able to speak to those outside their species. “How are you today?” She asked smiling at the pair. She looked around and then back at Akilah. “Where is the pup?” She asked curiously.

Kaja looked at Akilah blinkingly and then looked like she had grown another head at her next comment. She swallowed the sentence of what she said though even though it was on the tip of her tongue. She watched the finger bounce in front of Akilah and the look that meant business as she said it too. She didn’t understand these people. How was she supposed to serve as a Kelvic if she could never serve them? She cocked her head trying to think of a way to tell her that she owed her nothing that in her mind she owed her something for allowing her to be able to do something for her. She was glad to help anyone, and unless she was doing something for trade of service, or something she didn’t much want anything. She blinked several more times before she said timidly, “B-but… Its my job to do things for others…” She looked down trying to figure out how she could make the other woman understand. “You see… Even though I was born and not made, its intrinsic for a Kelvic to know that they were made to serve.” She blinked looking up again seriously at the other woman.

However, she knew that these people also had their own traditions and she said, “I would like to say that if you are having success with the young Vespera I am very pleased, and it was really my privilege to serve you like that.” She looked down again disappointment and sadness etched on her face. “It has been hard to not have one person to serve, so I find my few moments of pleasure from what I can do to serve those I see who need it.” She looked up again and the moment of shadowed disappointment and sadness was gone as she continued and said, “However, if you feel that you most do something for me, then I would hate to offend that need, so I have not eaten today. You may buy me a meal, and I would be very honored if you ate with me.” She smiled hopefully at her.
Kaja

Character sheet

Postby Akilah Windsong on July 11th, 2011, 6:53 am

The strength of the hug surprised her, Kaja didn't look like she was that strong. But then again, Akilah didn't know much about this new friend. Just a name and a few odd facts.

Returning the hug, she tried not to laugh when Kaja's hair tickled her chin, the shorter strands scratching her neck. It was like being with an overgrown pup and she couldn't help but to affectionately pet her head, stroking the hair up there for a moment before releasing her.

"I'm fine!" Remembering her thoughts as the wind ruffled her hair, she amended her statement. "Well, mostly fine, just wondering about a few things. How are you?"

She glanced back at Adámas. "Vespera? Oh, he's sleeping on Adámas." Her mount turned as she spoke, her back now in view. Akilah scratched the pup's silken ears before picking him up. He was light, paws wiggling lightly at the sudden movement, before she placed him on the ground beside her. Yawning, he sat on the ground confused for a moment before shaking himself awake. At seeing Kaja, he gave an excited yip. "Or not sleeping anymore."

She almost laughed, when she saw her friend stare at her owlishly at the threat. Instead, though, a slight frown settled on her lips at what she heard. Serve? Serve who? She knew, one of the few things she did know about Kelvics, that there were bondmates. These bondmates were the masters, in a sense, were the ones the Kelvics served.

Apparently serving went beyond the realm of bondmates.

"But, we're friends. You don't have to serve me!" The frown grew deeper. "We--" She paused, Adámas butting her spine. Looking, actually looking at her friend, she faltered, lost for words. Now seeing her friend looking at the ground dejectedly, guilt gnawed at her and she stopped herself. "Dad is always telling me that there are other ways to think than how I do." Deepening her voice, she hunched over and said gruffly, "At the very least, consider their feelings about the matter before you press your way." Straightening, she continued in her normal voice, "I suppose for you, serving is very important. Then...hmmm...."

Friendship, as far as she knew, didn't work that way. You don't 'serve' your friends.

But...she had to consider her feelings...and...oh, this was getting very complicated very fast. She hated messes. A simple solution would solve everything.

"Then, as your friend, I should serve you back, whenever I owe you a favour!" That should work, she hoped, watching her friend expectantly. And if not, another solution would be thought of. "And I guess I can start with that meal I owe you!"

Which brought up another question, where to take her? Oh well, that question could be answered as they walked among the stalls, taking in smells and sights. Maybe she could even take her home, her father should be cooking right now. Whichever made Kaja happiest would be fine.

Casually slinging an arm around Kaja, she turned and started to head back into the clothed city. "And of course I'll eat with you! You didn't even need to ask." Her stomach grumbled at that, and automatically, she added, "Shut up, Adámas."

Her horse remained silent, but Akilah knew there was a silent snort behind her. Beside her, Vespera barked and darted between their legs as they walked toward the city, the tents rippling in the southern waft.
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kaja on July 11th, 2011, 9:21 pm

Kaja smiled when the horse turned and he was on her back. She giggled placing a hand on her mouth to stifle it. “Well, that’s one way to get a ride. I will have to try that one myself.” She smiled thinking of Erzotol and his horse. He had offered to let her ride him; maybe she could ride him in her dog form too. The possibilities were there now. When the dog woke up and did his little head-clearing shake she giggled some more. She nodded her head in response to his little welcoming greeting to her. She couldn’t communicate with him like she could in her dog form, but she could still understand him. “He just said hello to me.” She told Akilah.

As Akilah spoke Kaja’s head dropped she realized she was not being very flexible. She supposed she could be very narrow minded herself with only one agenda on her mind. Why couldn’t she just have a friend? Why did she have to always be so focused on serving and finding a bond mate? She smiled lifting her head up when she got to the part about her saying that she should serve her back. It was an interesting concept, and one Kaja might even by able to look at in a good way. “Yes! Yes! As friends we could serve each other well, and be there for each other.” She nodded seeming to brighten with that concept being absorbed within.

Kaja only really ate one thing and that was meat, with maybe a dusting of vegetables here and there, but mostly if not raw as raw as she could get meat. But when she was in others company that wasn’t Kelvic she had learned to eat her food more cooked, and a little more variety of different things in food. She wasn’t too picky, mostly she sort of molded into whatever was needed, wanted, or taught to her by the people she was around anyway. She was constantly morphing, and she was probably a bit more independent then some Kelvics in her behavior because she had been so long without really anyone to mold to or with.

She hoped that maybe with Erzotol she would find her bond mate, but she was beginning to think that everyone in this area were people that were just as giving as she needed to be so serving someone wasn’t in their vocabulary just as much as someone doing something for her was to her. She sort of liked that though maybe instead of feeling like a servant she would feel like an equal with whomever she decided to bond with and that made her feel slightly good. “Where ever you recommend would be fine with me.” She replied about where to eat. She really didn’t care much; she was mostly in her own head analyzing what Akilah had said earlier. She then turned to Akilah and asked, “So I can be a friend, and companion without having to serve too?”
Kaja

Character sheet

Postby Akilah Windsong on July 12th, 2011, 1:41 am

"Well, then, we can just go home. Dad should be making something right about now, and he isn't that bad of a cook. He's almost as good as Grandma is, now." She chortled, remembering the earlier days, when she was little. He hadn't been used to the stove and nearly everything he tried came out charcoal-coloured. "What do you like eat? Anything you like best? I can tell dad to make it."

Akilah couldn't wait to eat and not only because of the gaping void where her stomach used to be. She had so many questions to ask, and it was hard to control her patience until they sat down.

But she had to--the streets were loud, rambunctious in nature. Kaja spoke softly in comparison, and any answers she wanted would be lost in translation.

Hearing the other girl's query, a broad smile covered her face, her eyes lighting up. "Of course! Friends don't serve each other! That's the antithesis of friendship. And, well, you don't always have to repay your friends, but I like doing so."

Kaja, Akilah thought, seemed rather nervous. Shy, insecure, she seemed like she was just learning to navigate the waters of relationships. And she had no guide, no rules, just herself, two oars, and the hope that there was land on the other side.

That meant two things. One, Akilah had to help her. And two--

"You're adorable."

Having said that, she returned to steering their way to her pavilion, waving to cousins and friends she saw as she walked. Twigs and short grasses crunched beneath her feet, the steady clop of Adámas behind her. The beads in her hair tinkled occasionally, the white and silver ribbons brushing her neck as she turned her head. Familiar smells drifted to her nose as other families got ready to eat, young children chattering as they ran home for their meal.

She almost wanted to run too, run through the paths and openings that weaved together the clans. She knew each route by heart--even with moving, the general location of each pavilion usually remained the same whenever they settled down. Occasionally, a shift would occur, one pavilion leaving only to be replaced by another, but even then it wasn't too long before she knew her way around.

Before long, they arrived at her pavilion, and she could smell the smoke as it drifted out of the open flaps. There wasn't much else yet, to that smell, and there would be time perhaps to tell Dad of the extra plate on the table.

"Can you take Vespera with you?" She asked Adámas in her mother-tongue, fingers moving fluidly through the signs as she glanced at the puppy nosing the ground. "I'll come back after with his meal."

Watching as her horse trotted away, occasionally leaning down and gently pushing the pup with her head, she returned to her friend. Speaking common once more, she led the way in.

"This is my home."

Taking off her sandals, she walked on the carpet that escaped the entrance of her home. Entering the first set of flaps, she paused for a moment, considering the room. Here, on the silver-grey carpets, there remained a circle of cushions of various colours, a low table in between. A few chairs encroached the loop, smaller tables with lamps set on them remained scattered on the floor. A two vases filled with wildflowers added colour to the room and a few hanging threads sparkled with beads of various shades. Listening, she didn't hear any of her relatives yet.

It must be early, then, for the meal, but that should be fine. Though, she kind of wanted Kaja to eat with everyone, to be surrounded by the din and noise that she had come to associate meals with. Maybe if food took a while to cook, that would be possible.

Going through another set of flaps, she reached the room where they normally ate. Here, the carpets were a more colourful mess, stains from meals long-gone decorating the areas here and there. Between the larger stains, signs of favourite sitting spots, the original colour of the carpets could be seen, a mix of creamy white and delicate blue.

"Pick whichever cushion you like best." She gestured at the pile of cushions. "The carpet might be messy, we've had it for many years now. We're planning on replacing it soon. The cushions, though, are clean, so don't worry!"

Then, heading to yet another set of flaps, she added, "I will be right back. I'm just telling Dad I've brought a friend over."
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kaja on July 12th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Kaja looked down for moment thinking as she walked. “I like undercooked meat to raw.” She knew that sounded odd, but maybe not so much as she already knew she was a Kelvic dog. “However, I don’t mind. I will eat whatever you eat really.” She smiled at her accommodatingly. She had been raised to be such, they were to serve, serve well, and make sure that whoever they were serving was happy with them at all times. It was driving her crazy that so far she had not found anyone to serve as her bond mate yet. It was really taking a toll on her even if it seemed like she was still the happy go lucky pup she always was. She had moved out of her pack to learn, gain experience, find her own bond mate, and work. Well she supposed two out of four wasn’t bad?

She smiled at her knew friend nodding in understanding with what she was telling her about friends. She was still very young and besides a few here and there on her journey to here she had been on her own so far. Endrykas was the first place so far where she was staying more then a few nights that had a lot of people. It wasn’t that she was necessarily shy, she was soft spoken for now, only because she was so uncertain about what she was doing. As she became more acclimated to being outside her pack atmosphere and different people their customs, and learning the way they interacted and slowly relaxing her grip on those things at the moment she was hanging on for dear life to because it was what she knew. It was so hard to really drop yourself willingly into a situation and not get anxious about all the changes that were occurring. True they were a race of chameleons and were able to be flexible with their beliefs, personalities, and lifestyles it didn’t mean it wasn’t at first especially as young as she was and her first exposure to it all met with apprehension. This was her time at the moment of this. Eventually she would relax into this new lifestyle, this new environment that shifts, changes, and becomes different more frequently then what she was used to in her pack.

When Akilah called her adorable she blushed slightly and looked down. She could be so forward at times, and inhabitant but at others her young age had her combating with her uncertainties that she felt. “Thank you.” She responded looking up and smiling then. “You’re very pretty, and nice.” She commented back trying out this new thing called reciprocity rather then just her doing, serving, or saying nice things all the time and not wanting anything back. It felt good, different, she felt as if she wasn’t just something that had to be disregarded when not needed. She smiled even broader. She had no clue what Akilah was thinking as far as helping her in this awkward time of acclimation into the big wide world of Mizahar.

After long walk in relative silence only because for the most part Kaja had been trying to learn some Pavi by listening and watching what others were doing and saying. It was slow, and while really she could get along with just speaking Common because most spoke it she thought it rude not to at least try to learn Pavi while she was hear. She wasn’t sure how long she would stay, indefinitely or not, but it was only right in her mind. She also tried some of her Pavi on Akilah it was halting, badly accented, but it was an attempt. They finally got to the tent and like Erzotol’s it was very elaborate, colorful, and homey looking. She liked it. She smiled, as Akilah told her to take care of the young pup, and she would come for them later to feed them. She giggled as Adámas butted the young pup along as he trotted after him. “It’s very lovely,” She said, as she also took her sandals on mimicking her automatically without thought. There were some things in life that you just did from long training, even if it was generation after generation and you didn’t even know why you did it. It was like that with the Kelvics they were naturally no matter how apprehensive when they thought about it Chameleons with their behaviors. They did what they were supposed to do, and what they saw was going on around them.

She looked around at all the colorful pillows around her, and blinked. “Anywhere?” She repeated. Still trying to grasp this independence of thought that was being bombarded on her in this new culture. It wasn’t that she didn’t like it, she loved it, and it was just hard for her to wrap her head around the fact that people weren’t telling her what to do, where to be, and that they felt like they should give back when she gave to them. She smiled, a dawning in her eyes, and tone of voice now as she said, “Anywhere” again but in Pavi now. She then plumped down on the fluffiest most colorful cushion she could find with a smile on her face reminiscent of a child opening their first birthday gift or Christmas present. “I like this!” She exclaimed, as she watched Akilah leave to tell her father she was there. She sat looking around at all the well-used stuff around. Everything looked like it was well loved, used well, and that it looked like whatever went on in this room was done in fun, love, and communication.
Kaja

Character sheet

Postby Akilah Windsong on July 13th, 2011, 4:01 am

"Raw meat?" Akilah was surprised for a moment before remembering that Kaja was Kelvic dog. It made sense she liked her meat undercooked, none of the their hunting animals ate cooked food either. "Well, I can ask Dad."

Raw meat...she wondered briefly if that tasted good before shaking her head. Probably to Kaja, but she couldn't imagine eating her meat raw and bloody, flesh tender and wet. Besides, she'd miss out on all of the different styles her father tried.

Watching as the other girl blushed, she reaffirmed her assessment in her mind. Very cute. Hearing the compliment, she smiled, a finger twisting one of her ribbons. She tugged at it lightly as she replied, "Thanks."

Akilah almost laughed at the accent Kaja had when she attempted Pavi. Almost, but didn't, because Adámas's teeth were dangerously close to her head and she knew the horse knew what she'd do before she did it. Knew what those teeth, nipping her hair every now and then, were promising. Instead, she corrected some of the words, demonstrating the correct hand signs and fixing Kaja's pronunciation. Pavi was a language of the soul, was the undercurrent that ran through body and mind. In the same way that verbal language demonstrated feelings through tone, Pavi expressed it through the body. You spoke, you moved, you revealed yourself as you went through the motions.

And what she learned of Kaja was that she was an eager learner and a willing one, and this quietness that cloaked her essence was slowly slipping.

Hearing Kaja's second 'anywhere', she smiled. That wasn't half-bad. Watching as she sat on the best cushion (Akilah snickered. Her bratty cousin was in for a surprise.), she was taken back by the smile on her friend's face. It was bright, so bright, as though picking that cushion meant more than what it was. As though just sitting there in that room was one of the best things that had happened to her.

Kelvics, Akilah realized, really do think differently. She knew it, had seen it in Kaja's responses, but this smile just hit it home. She was a simple girl and liked simple things, but even she wouldn't smile that broadly at sitting on a cushion.

As though it were everything.

Kaja wasn't the only one learning something new today.

Entering the kitchen, the warmth of the fire swept over her as she saw her father's back. He was hunched over, carefully mixing something together he moved his hands. Creeping forward, she jumped forward, hugging him from behind.

A small grunt, and he set down the bowls in his hands, straightening as he did so. "Now which one of you rascals--" He stopped when he saw Akilah.

"Hi, Dad," she chirped, releasing him. He was a tall man and Akilah could barely reach his broad shoulders, having to go on her toes to see over him. With dark brown hair, speckled with grey, and gentle grey eyes, her father was one of the kindest people she knew. But he was firm and right now he was watching her with an eyebrow raised, waiting for an explanation.

"Well..." she gave a sheepish smile. "Grandma and Auntie aren't here and I rarely get to surprise you...where are they anyway?"

"...They're sending a message." Laying a hand on her shoulder, he continued. "There is a reason you aren't supposed to surprise me in the kitchen."

"...you could get hurt..." she muttered, averting her eyes.

"And?"

"I won't do it again," she dutifully continued. It was not like she'd get another chance, anyway. There were always two people in the kitchen because of this game the she and her cousins played surprising the cooks.

Still. At least now she could gloat about it to Kenna.

"Good girl." His coarse hands tousled her hair before returning to the bowls.

"Dad, I brought a friend over. Can she eat with us?" She would have tried her patented stare, but her father was immune to them. Immune to even the ones that came from her youngest cousin, with her wide eyes and sad smile.

He gave her a pointed stare and she quickly added, rushing the words together in her haste, "I just saw her again just a little while ago. And I owed her one and she was hungry and you're a good cook and she's really nice. Her name is Kaja. And can she have her meat raw?"

"...raw?" Her father discarded the rest of the explanation, knowing already how all the children in this pavilion were like. Constantly bringing in extra people for meals, constantly disappearing to other places for meals, it wasn't so much one family as it was a collection of interconnected ones. He did it himself as a child.

"Oh, she's a dog." Pausing, she amended her statement. "She's a Kelvic."

A kelvic. It had been a while since he had met one. Rubbing his chin, he was silent in thought for a while before speaking. "I can remove some of the meat now, but it will still be more cooked than raw." Turning around, an obvious dismissal, he added, "When I come out, you can introduce her to me."

"Thanks!"

Heading back to Kaja, she almost crashed into Fajra, her seven-year-old cousin. Having entered the kitchen through another flap, she had made a beeline to where Akilah stood.

"Who's that?" She tugged on Akilah's pants as she spoke, tilting her head to the side. Her blonde-locks, free of any wraps, shifted with the movement.

Nodding to the flap, she lead the youngster to where Kaja was waiting. "This is Kaja." Rubbing Fajra's head, she added, "and this is Fajra, my cousin."
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Postby Kaja on July 14th, 2011, 3:03 pm

Kaja looked around the room, noticed the food spots on the carpet, and smiled. It looked like they might have had food fights here. She wondered if they had. She was sure they hadn’t but it was a fun thought to have. She supposed if they had it would be on more then just the floor, and looking around everything else in the room looked spotless. It looked like just food dribbled from normal eating. Oh well, she thought, it was a good thought for a while, and made her smile for a moment. She wondered what Akilah was doing, she hadn’t been gone long, but she wasn’t sure what she was supposed to be doing, and it made her slightly uncomfortable to be just sitting here when the thought that she might be doing something for them was in the back of her mind. She was just about to get up and go where she thought Akilah had went to offer her help when she came into the room with a young child in tow.

Kaja smiled at the young girl who looked at her with wide-eyed curiosity. She figured that her unusual mottled hair with splashes of white, blonds, and tans looked strange to her, and her extremely hazel eyes. It was the throwbacks in her human form for what she was inside truly, a Dynakuva Painted Desert Dog. “Well hello there, little friend.” She said with a smile her slightly elongated canines didn’t look hideous as she smiled, but it would look odd. “Did you want me to do something to help?” She asked. “Will I meet more of your family?” She also asked. She patted the cushion near her for the young girl to sit close to her. It would quench her curiosity if she could just look at her and some of her strange throwbacks from her animal form. “So what were you doing little Miss Fajra?” She also asked of Akilah’s young cousin.
Kaja

Character sheet

Postby Akilah Windsong on July 17th, 2011, 4:20 am

Fajra glanced curiously at the new person, giving a surprised squeak when she saw the canines. Baffled, she poked at her own teeth before gazing unabashedly at Kaja's teeth. Akilah stared too, for a moment, her tongue touching the tips of her own teeth.

"Wow," they both said, Fajra approaching the other girl to get a closer look.

At the question, Akilah shivered, remembering her grandma. "Please don't help. You're the guest. You can meet my dad, and maybe my aunt and grandma if they return soon." She shivered once more, her left hand unconsciously rubbing her right bicep, soothing the ghost pain that arose.

She never hated training more than when her grandma had a lesson to teach.

Fajra eagerly jumped onto the cushion, gazing up at the girl beside her. Giving a toothy grin, the gaps where she lost her baby teeth became apparent. One on the top incisor and the other below.

Reaching out, she carefully touched Kaja's hair, giving a small "Oooh" at the colours.

"Pwetty hair." At the question, she frowned, pouting a little.

"Everyone lefth."

Akilah raised an eyebrow, confused. "Everyone left? Why would they all leave?" As far she knew, there were no events today, no planned gatherings.

"Uncle Erjon thook them thraining." Another pout, this time because she wasn't old enough to join the training session.

"Whaaattt?" Akilah cried, shock and anger filling her. "It was today?"

How could she have missed that? He didn't give training sessions all that often, preferring to spend his days hunting and guarding. It took days and inordinate amounts of begging in order to convince him to train, and when he said yes every cousin knew about it.

And now she missed it.

"I couldn't find you!" Fajra was half in tears when she said that, the other half angry as well.

"I wasn't blaming you!" She panicked, Fajra was still young and one of the more emotional of the younger ones, easily falling to tears or raising her fits when the mood hit her. She was hungry as well, escalating her temper. Casting desperate glance at Kaja, she quickly continued. "In fact, now you get to meet Kaja. And they don't."

Despite her experience with children, despite how many years she has taken care of them, Akilah still didn't know how to deal with tears. They always unsettled her, in ways she couldn't explain.

Anger was fine. Joy, boredom, mischievousness, she could handle them all. But she had yet to find a way to manage tears.
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Next