Why All The Touching?!? (Vala)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The westernmost tip of Kalea, Wind Reach is home to an amazing group of people and their giant eagle mounts. [Lore]

Postby Ven on June 23rd, 2011, 4:27 am

Day 1 of Summer, 511 AV

It had been a while since Ven really studied much of anything, as his work would be the most that occupied him. When he had the chance he would study a book in his free time, absorbing what knowledge or cheesy entertainment it offered. He found some of the pictures of people he occasionally couldn't help but laugh at, which he didn't really know why he just...found it amusing that people would just sit or pose with funny or serious faces in them. He learned some of Nari while here but it was difficult to understand, just as it was Lhavitian when he spent time learning from his previous master. Now a days he wanted to call Vala his master, but no matter how much he desired it his mind and instincts told him that there was no chance.

He finally finished sending his last message of the day and decided to meet up with Vala to get his first meal early, until two people caught his curious eye. He tried his best not to stare but he just couldn't resist, because what the could was doing was simply holding one another. Yet he understood little reason why they would do so, he went onward to his destination until something else caught his eye. Some men were touching each others hands as a greeting, or making silly gestures that made little sense to him. It really started to bug him now, but seeing as how he's a Drek in public he knew better than to question them. It was now time to ask Vala about this, he had to know what it was all about.

He arrived to find Vala nowhere in sight, so instead of looking for her he waited until she would arrive for lunch. It would also be a good time for him to practice up on his Nari language as well.
Last edited by Ven on June 23rd, 2011, 7:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ven
Player

Words: 40692
Joined roleplay: April 12th, 2011, 1:46 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on June 23rd, 2011, 5:47 pm

Avoiding a roommate was easier than she ever expected. Even before Ven had started sleeping in the corner Vala barely spent any time in her room. So with her job at the Enclave, her extra job with Warden at the market, and her general distaste for wasting time in her room she barely ever saw Ven. On occasion she would catch glimpses of him before she went to bed, but that never progressed to actual conversation – she made sure of that, by instantly crashing into blank oblivion as soon as she hit the bed.

Then there was the fact her roommate was a Dek…

Vala hated eating with Dek; it was demeaning, cramped and generally very smelly. It skeeved her off to see Ven waiting like a simpering child at the edge of the Courtyard of the Sky. Her eyes easily locked on to the sputtering waves of energy around him. She knew it was Ven, but she preferred to see his aura over his face. Plus it was more interesting. Unlike most Inartans he didn’t sit right when in his human form. His outwards confusion reminded her of herself, while not always a good thing, she actually didn’t mind this one similarity. The closer she got the more evident the sputters became. From a distance it had just looked very faded. Vala didn’t look him in the eyes now; he was still below her. She focused instead on his chest – where his energy core should have been located. Vala didn’t have nearly enough control to see further than the outer wisps of unconscious energy that surrounded most people but it was still entertaining to try. Now she couldn’t recall who had made the particular plans for the day or how it was even brought up, but now she wished she had just forgotten them…

It had been a nice day though, not even thoughts of the drudge were enough to ruin it, just yet. Vala walked up to the boy with not exactly a smile, Dek didn’t deserve that much expenditure of energy, but at least it wasn’t a scowl. “I’m hungry. Come on, let’s go eat before the rest of the horde descends. The one thing she did appreciate about Ven, though she would never admit it to him, was that she finally had someone to practice her common and lhatvian with. It just bumped him over the threshold… thankfully past the line where she beat Deks for being impertinent by just looking at her.

OOC :
1. Could you change the stamp to the first of the summer?
2. Dek are only fed twice a day
3. Most other castes don't eat with Dek
4. Dek actually aren't allowed in the library… I'm just going to assume Vala checked those out for you since she does work there after all.
5. And yeah… hehe… Vala would totally make a horrible master
For Me to Know, And You to Find Out

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Words: 439124
Joined roleplay: February 17th, 2011, 7:22 am
Race: Human, Inarta
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 5
Lore Author (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1) Donor (1)
Wind Reach Seasonal  Challenge (1)

Postby Ven on June 23rd, 2011, 7:12 pm

Ven nodded to show his compliance, he knew better than to try and talk back to her. While they were on the way he thought hard about what he saw earlier today, and he didn't try to hide it either. He didn't want to hide it as a matter of fact, he wanted to know why those people were making all those gestures. Why were they touching each other? What was the point within all of this? What did it show or prove to them or the others? In short he couldn't handle anymore, and regrettably broke the silence.

"Vala, I have a question about your humans ways if you don't mind me asking." He didn't want to continue after making the mistake of asking her something in public, but he couldn't hold it it anymore, he had to ask her even if it had to be in a lower tone then he usually would have. After all if he asked later he no doubt would only annoy her with more questions, and that would result in him getting thrown out most likely. Being a Dek was so challenging for him, but so long as he practiced his languages, particularly his Nari, he would eventually join the hunters. He longed for the wilderness, and wanted to see it again as soon as he could. He continued in his low voice, as to hopefully not embarrass the land lady in front of him. "Why do all of you people "touch" each other? Is there really a point to it all?"

OOC :
I know the Dek normally don't speak with higher castes in public, so I tried to make Ven talk quiet enough so others shouldn't hear him. :)
Ven
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on June 23rd, 2011, 10:43 pm

At this Vala sneered. Ven had yet to learn she hated touch. He had no opportunity to learn about her haptophobia, she made sure of that. She found Ven’s openness unnerving. The fact he knew so little of human mores made it worse. He was still a child. Vala didn’t hurt children. She waited for them to succumb to their inherent darkness before she crushed them – that made victory sweeter. It was only a matter of time before Ven would earn Vala’s attention.

“So you’re practicing your Nari now? How prudent of you.” Vala was sure some of the more complicated words were bound to confuse Ven, but the thought just made her smile. “Come on I can already see some of them slinking our way…” Vala rushed Ven to the line, quickly ordering their allotted rations. A new chef was about to give Vala a dek’s fare but one that recognized her from her time volunteering stopped him just in time. Vala gave her a nod of thanks. “Let’s go over there in the corner away from the oth-… Deks.”

Once they sat down, Vala began to pick at her food. She was hungry. She was always hungry. A cheit’s life, while heavenly to a Dek, was still hard. Long work days and just enough to survive meals took a toll. She took a tentative bite of her bland and dry bread before speaking. “Why do people touch each other? Or more specifically… Why do all of you people “touch” each other?” Vala set the bread down on her tray and crossed her legs under the table. “You’ve done a good job of remembering your place. For that I applaud you. But sometimes I think you forget that you are, and will always be, the minority here. I’m only trying to help you here,” She wasn’t, not really. “Referring to someone other than me, actually also me, as ‘you people’ is almost directly asking for a knife in the gut.” Vala delicately sipped on the daily soup. It was tasty and filling. The soup of the day was one of the few things Vala could depend on. “Now back to this touching thing…” Vala’s nose curled at the thought. “What touch are you talking about specifically?” What she really meant, was that she didn’t understand the question, but she was a chiet and chiet didn’t reveal to Dek’s their ignorance – ever.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ven on June 23rd, 2011, 11:13 pm

After Ven had asked his question it seemed she was challenging him or testing him, using big words he couldn't even understand at all. He wasn't even sure what she meant, but didn't bother asking so he didn't feel stupid or embarrass himself.

Ven didn't really expect an answer after they finally received their food, he figured Vala decided to simply ignore him. So he decided that there were reasons beyond his understanding a nearly dropped it, until she answered his question with real distaste. Apparently she wasn't all that crazy about people touching as well, even though she was part of this human society. The look Ven gave must've been funny since she chuckled a bit, then he realized that he had his lunch caught on his mouth after a surprised look appeared on his face. He didn't waste time to recover though, quickly thinking over the details she'd given him and assessed the situation before him properly. It seems that my question had confused her, after all she did ask what I meant by touching.

"Well while I was waiting, I've been observing more of this society and the humans do weird things like grab each others hands for greetings....or touch each other on the back after some game they play.....or when a male and female hold each other close. Why is it they do this? What do they hope to accomplish really?" He realized that he was beginning to get ahead of himself, and waited for her to reply before continuing.
Ven
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on June 24th, 2011, 3:53 am

Vala stared at her plate as she reluctantly finished the rest of her meal. But no matter how finicky she got, she always made her bowls were swept clean of all the scraps. Waste not, want not. A working Dek scuttled close and cleaned everything up, without an acknowledging glance from the snotty girl. “You are a fox Kelvic. You are an animal. I still haven’t had time to really read up on your race just yet, but I’ve heard that you guys are animals before you are people. I can tell from your aura in fact. You never seem…right when you are in your human form.” Vala cleared her throat. The last statement could have fit the both of them. “Now in your fox form, well I’m not sure of this yet, I don’t know how old you are, but I’m sure you will or eventually will have the urge to uh…. Mate.” Vala finally spat out uncomfortably. “Every animal does it… it’s normal. How do you think we got here.” Oh goddess. Oh Priskil. Was Vala seriously giving the birds and the bees speech to a boy that she barely even knew? He wasn’t even related to her. Oh well… Vala was not a squeamish type when it came to blood, guts, and gore. She didn’t even mind when other people insisted on sharing their germs with each other in front of her, only when they dared invite her into their debauchery did she cause a fuss. So why did she mind so much when she had to explain it to the numbskull sitting in front of her? Vala looked to the right, avoiding making eye contact with Ven as she forced herself to continue. “I don’t know what foxes do to show they want to mate, but I’m sure their ritual is a lot simpler than humans. When humans want to mate they have to go through this, well its really silly sometimes, but they go through this kind of procedure where the prettiest girl is wooed by some guy. There are usually flowers or stupid cards involved. When the wooing gets really intense that’s when the touching really gets into play. For some of the looser girls sometimes the touching happens even before.” Vala sniggered at her passive aggressive dig, not that Ven could appreciate it. “Well yeah that’s basically it. People touch each other because they want to get into each other's byrda. Any questions? I have work to do. This really has been a hoot.” Vala offered a semi-sarcastic smile. Her nose was numb from trying not to smell the Dek that surrounded them.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ven on June 24th, 2011, 9:03 am

Ven tried his best to understand what she was telling him, and couldn't help but feel some sort of deep fear that one day he would actually want to go touching some other woman. Hopefully "she" would be a fox and not a human, and hopefully I won't be so stupid when the time comes. He thought to himself, and when she mentioned she had work to do he only nodded in agreement. Even though he still had many questions about humans, and particularly about her and this aura she can see, he knew it was pointless to try and ask more questions. Instead he decided to silently as her a favor once they were going, one that he hoped she could grant very soon. It made him very annoyed that humans in general did so many things that he didn't understand, and no doubt it annoyed Vala a lot. By the way she appeared to cringe when describing this wooing to him, either that or she was feeling very uncomfortable about telling him.

Is it really that bad? Is there really that much needless touching involved? He felt his stomach heave a bit, and decided that he didn't want to think upon it any longer. He gave a quick smile and a thanks to Vala, then his face returned back to his serious thinking he was caught in before.

"Uh Vala, I know you've checked those books out for me pretty often and I'm more than thankful for but...do you think you could check out some books that explain more things about humans and the things they do. I'm sure with you on the job you could find a pretty good book or two explaining everything I'm always curious about." He shyly probed her with silence, as to not mock her in front of the other Deks. She helped him with all those other books before, he was sure that she would be merciful or at least considerable enough to check one out. He silently waited for her answer as the moved on, hoping she would answer before they had to split up.
Ven
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on June 25th, 2011, 3:36 pm

Vala stood up, barely towering over the hunched dek around them. “I have an idea, come on.” Ven didn’t have a choice. It was a direct order from a higher caste member. Vala began to weave her way out of the kitchens, making sure to avoid any contact with the dirty scum. They too made sure to avoid her. The small girl had a reputation for shamelessly reminding Dek’s of their place with a well placed kick.

The thought of explaining her plan to Ven didn’t even cross her mind. It was a good plan; there was no need to consult. Her stomach still churched with the meal she had just eaten, so her pace was slowed considerably. Vala’s eyes darted around to scan the entirety of the busy warrens. She was too full to rely on her agility to avoid unnecessary touch. Vala had to plan her path more carefully. Right before they got stuck in one particularly congested hall, Vala’s cool blue eyes spotted the slowing pace of the working chiet in front of her, as well as the tell tale noise of slow shuffling feet echoing against the walls. She took a detour to her right. It would take them longer, but at least they got to Vala’s room with no problem.

She entered her room, leaving the door open for Ven. Vala made her way to her chest and taking a key out of her byrda, nimbly unlocked it. Trying not to rummage and mess up her stuff too much, Vala tried to find a patch of heavy black wool. She caught a tuft right and the very far corner. Using one hand to keep everything else steady, she pulled out her katinu. She draped the heavy cloth over her shoulder as she locked her chest back up.

Taking a seat on the bed, Vala looked over Ven. For a Dek he wasn’t too dirty. For one thing he had a home to go to at the end of the day. Another, Val was a great master who had the decency to treat Dek with more respect that most other xenophobic citizens.

She didn’t want to let him wear it. He was still a Dek and he was still disgusting to her. But he was living with her, and no matter how much she resented it, he was an investment. If he succeeded in life, she would be directly affected – as in she would use him to get ahead herself. It was a good idea. Vala tossed her katinu to Ven.

Vala switched to common just to make sure he understood her instructions. If he got caught she was liable. “Put that on. A dek couldn’t afford that; it will help pass you of as a chiet. You stay by me. You do not speak a word unless I tell you to ok? Is that clear? I need to make sure you understand my directions. Good. Let’s go.” Without another word Vala was on the move again. Her black byrda swished dramatically between her legs as she vaulted off the bed, out of the room. The food was beginning to settle; her pace began to pick up. It took so much will power not to walk with her head held high; it hurt so much to still be a chiet…
OOC :
I’m letting Ven react to what’s happening so far. I’ll continue with Vala’s plan in my next post don’t worry.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Ven on June 25th, 2011, 8:15 pm

Ven had been much curious the whole time when making their way back to her room, what struck the curiosity even more was the reason why he was given her katinu. He figured it was part of her plan but he didn't know what she was wanting to pull, only that she gave the command to where it. So he did.

Without a word he put on the heavy cloth, trying not to fall from the extra weight that was added onto him. It fit him nicely only a bit to big for him, since Vala was only several inches taller. He was actually surprised when she spoke common to him, all this time they spoke was either Lhavitian, or Nari when he practiced, and she never bothered speaking common to him. With what she said though he understood her word clearly, and nodded to show his understanding. He quietly followed her and noticed her quickening pace, her food must've finally been settling in now. He still wondered what her plan was at first, but then decided to try and make an analysis on what it was she's been doing so far.

OK so this plan came around after I asked the question, which mainly we talked about how these humans acted during our time eating. This katinu is something a caste member would wear, so therefore wearing this would be me lying and saying that I'm in that caste. He smiled at where his thoughts were leading him, he thought he might've figured out her plan but didn't want to explain to her. Instead he only smiled as he silently watched and followed, waiting for her next move while enjoying the idea of not getting caught. To him what she was doing was playing a game, and he respectfully played on her side. There was nothing that would change his mind and make him turn on her, because she was far more than a worthy opponent to be against; she was no doubt a powerful stoned cold player.

OOC :
I think I caught the idea of the plan, if your taking Ven to the library, but I didn't assume anything. Instead I just made Ven think of the clever idea of using the katinu and such, as you can tell he likes the idea and enjoys sneaking around. It's a game to him. :smirk:
Ven
Player

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Vala on June 26th, 2011, 3:21 am

It didn't take them long to reach the Enclave. Vala walked in through the doors as she normally did, not a speck of insecurity written on her face. Her heart was rabid, as it tried to escape from the confines of her chest. She kept every muscle in her face passive, though the ends of her lips were turned ever so slightly upwards as she made sure to not seem too aloof and thus suspicious. Even her steps were even and sure, echoing conspicuously. The only thing that betrayed her insecurity was the flitting of her bright blue eyes, trying to assess everyone that was within view. She tried to make a detour when she spotted Kirna walking their way. She saw ledgers or record books clutched in her boss's left arm, a quill in the right hand. Kirna was probably off to her own office to get her own work done after checking on the reception desk workers. Vala wasn't due for work for another bell or two, so she had nothing to be worried about. Logic be damned; Vala was freaking out. She knows! She didn't.

"Hey Vala! What are you doing here so early?" Vala continued to try and slink away. "Vala?" The jig was up!"

No... maybe there was still... Vala's eyes glazed over as she attempted a quick scan of Kirna. The same calm energy: strong and stable - Kirna. She wasn't even suspicious. There was a hint of worry though. Vala snapped back to consciousness, a pulsing pain building behind her eyes. She didn't flinch though; she had expected it. Whenever she tried to do a quick scan without mentally and physically preparing before hand. It took minimal will power to ignore the pain and focus on lying, if anything the pain helped clear her mind of demons.

Lie. Lie first... get away before you can get caught. "Oh I'm just helping my friend Ven get some books is all." It wasn't a lie, but her smile definitely was. "You need any help with those records or something?" Her voice dripped with honeyed sweetness as she held out her hands with the palms up to show her passivity and openness.

Kirna chuckled. "How kind of you Vala. No, no. You enjoy your break. I'll see you in two bells." Kirna offered Ven a smile before walking off.

Vala exhaled the stale air from her lungs. She whipped around to face Ven, lowering her voice to an annoyed whisper. "That was close," It wasn't really, but she wanted her fear to be justified. "Good Job keeping quiet... Now let's get this over with as fast as we can, before we get caught. Do you know what kind of book's you're looking for? Or do you need me to help you find stuff? Vala wasn't in any particular mood to help a 'patron' on her off time; she had books she wanted to read herself. But she also didn't want to leave Ven roaming around with the risk of him getting caught.

VPVCSMPMOAPACS
Vala
Crimson Beauty

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook