[The Cubacious Inn] A place to hide (open)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Hayii on July 4th, 2011, 12:06 am

Timestamp: 26th of Summer 511
(continued from The Gaping Maw)

Hayii looked all around her, not sure what to believe. That stone face's mouth had been just behind her...hadn't it? She wasn't sure; she'd been too hypnotized by the voice to notice. She walked backwards with deliberate movements.

The street didn't look very familiar, but she told herself it was due to the state of mind she'd been in when she came.

She turned when the street did, and found herself standing in front of three giant, yellow wooden cubes firmly planted in the ground, blocking the road. I-it can't be a dead end! I came from here! There hasn't been any side streets so far; I simply must have come from here!

Thinking this didn't make the weirdly-shaped building in front of her any less real, though.

Okay. Don't panic. I'll just tell him the truth when he finds me. It might make me look like an idiot who can't even control her emotions, but nothing can explain my being here in any satisfactory way, so I might as well be honest and take my punishment when he... finds... me...

The last words almost drowned in the blasting wave of realization that washed over her mind. He wouldn't find her. The city seemed ever changing, and here was enough people of all sorts for her to drown in the masses - nobody noticed her. She couldn't believe her luck - or was it luck? So many coincidences... the chance of this happening was one in a million, and yet it had happened. Could a god have done it? Maybe they'd decided that whatever bad thing she'd done in her former life was now paid for... but how could she survive in a foreign city with only her clothes and...

The backpack. This proved to her that it had to be an act of some god; she'd been given provisions for her stay. She opened it as nonchalantly as possible, trying to make it look like she was merely trying to find something down there.

There was the little cotton bag her owner - no, former owner - kept his toiletries in which she'd often seen when she was holding the mirror for him; a bigger cotton bag containing a week's worth of bread and salted meat; and some thick, blue felt with buttons on it - probably a cloak, she thought. In the backpack's side was a small, open room with the handle of a little knife sticking up from it, and next to it was a bigger room closed with a button. She opened it and saw an abundance of gold-rimmed jewels. She reminded herself to thank the gods as soon as she had some privacy; she sure didn't want to attract people's attention now.

She examined her surroundings with fresh eyes. The yellow wooden construction in front of her bore a sign with the text "The Cubacious Inn" written on it.

An inn. This must sure be a god's work. A place to stay safely hidden until I'm sure he's gone again is just what I needed, she thought to herself and entered the peculiar construction. Once inside, Hayii didn't dare looking too curiously around, but she did cast a quick glance from corner to corner. Several people were here for a nice noon meal, most having looked up when she entered.

Okay, steady now... They won't remember me if I just pretend I'm allowed to be here. Breathe in, breathe out. Act like this place is normal. They won't notice me if I'm convincing. In, out. In, out. Look like you see cities like this every day. And breathe normally, for whichever god made this possible's sake. In, out. In, out.

She put a relaxed face on, though it didn't quite reach her eyes, and as calmly as possible walked towards the elderly woman behind the counter.
Hayii
"Runaway" slave

Words: 19971
Joined roleplay: June 29th, 2011, 11:23 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clarity Tess on July 4th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Timestamp: 26th of Summer, 511 A.V.

Laughing loudly Clarity gave a cheeky grin in the direction of the man she was talking to. He was older, a well known trader in Alvades, and a heavy drinker. Merrily drunk the man, Jack was his name, slammed his mug on the table causing the mead to slosh about. He tossed her a trinket, a small ordinate bell on a blue beaded ribbon and cheered. Clarity fiddled with it for a bit while listening to the man speak of his current travels to Wind Reach, were he had traded for the charm.

When the door opened to the inn Clarity turned to look along with Jack at who had arrived. The woman was nervous but seemed to straighten out her appearance quickly. She was good at masking her emotions that much was clear. Curiosity drew Clarity in closer; it was obvious she was not from around here, so what was she doing? Her appearance wasn’t the greatest either. The woman was, well, dirty; dirtier than Jack, which was quite filthy. The lady carried a back pack that looked relatively new, partly faded but nothing too bad. Even in his drunken state Jack seemed to notice the pack too.

“Little lady walks in off the street, covered in mud and a new pack? Seems shady Clarissa.” He whispered. Mentally cursing Jack for using her full first name she scooted another mug of ale towards him, without taking her eyes off the stranger.

“You’re quick to distrust.” She commented. “Perhaps the street was unkind to her and turned to mud while on the way here.” Clarity suggested. The streets of Alvades seemed to change pavement every so often, especially on newcomers. Once Clarity had walked onto a street of feathers, the downy fluff sunk each time you stepped, and it took nearly an hour to get where she was going.

Jack grumbled a distant reply and drank. Ignoring the intoxicated man Clarity turned her attention back to the woman. Perhaps all she needed was a hand? Slowly lifting herself from the chair she decided to go talk with her. Besides Clarity had come to the recent conclusion that hanging around old traders and being on her own was not the way to go, so perhaps this could be the start of a new way of life.

Carefully she maneuvered through the chairs and tables and made way to the counter the dirty lady was standing at. Once there she leaned and placed her elbow on the wood, and then her cheek in her hand. Giving a little wink and a wiggling her fingers in an odd wave she grinned widely.

“Whatcha doing in a place like this?”
Posting schedual:
Solia and Clarity: Tuesday, Thursday, Sunday
Osakis and Rue: Monday, Wednsday, Friday
Clarity Tess
Owner of one mean kitty

Words: 11379
Joined roleplay: July 2nd, 2011, 5:29 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Postby Hayii on July 5th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Hayii noticed a young woman sitting with a man at one of the tables. Her red hair and the beads and feathers hanging from starnds of it made her think of the stories her mother had told her when she was a little girl, but she quickly swept the thought away from her mind. This was no time for fairytales. She was fleeing from her owner, and staying unnoticed would require her full focus. Wouldn't it be typical if she ruined it all now, after all the help some god or another had inexplicably granted her?

The woman arose from her table. Hayii realized with horror that she was coming towards the counter. She didn't look like she'd do her any harm, but looks were so easy to fake. She just might know exactly who she was, and was now going to take her back. No, that was impossible. Her owner couldn't have alerted anybody yet, and they certainly couldn't have had the time to come here, get their food and eat it in that little time. Or could they? It felt like an eternity since she stood outside the city wall, but it certainly couldn't be more than half a bell. Maybe her owner hadn't even found out she was gone yet.

Despite her best attempts on calming herself, Hayii found herself desperately wanting to run away as fast as she could; only the fact that there were others here held her back. If they hadn't really taken note of her now, they certainly would if she followed her instincts. So she stayed in place, every single cell of her brain occupied with keeping her there and the facade up.

When the redhead firmly parked herself beside Hayii, she couldn't help herself from giving a weird twitch, though she quickly put on her mask of calmness again. She was grinning. Probably because of the bunch of Mizas from Hayii's owner when she turned her in. Hayii's worst theories were confirmed when the woman gave her a strange wave and spoke to her, even winking at her to tell that this wasn't really what it looked like and they both knew.

Still. there was the slim chance that this was just Hayii's fantasy running away because of her panic, and though she highly doubted this, she made the quick decision to act like it was the case and this woman was really just a stranger trying to be friendly or something. If what she thought was true, she was doomed no matter what so she might as well give the unlikely theory a try.

Straining herself to make her voice sound calm and collected and almost succeeding, she answered the woman, "I'm trying to find somewhere to sleep."
Hayii
"Runaway" slave

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clarity Tess on July 7th, 2011, 4:57 am

“Well you’ve certainly come to the right place!” Clarity replied and straightened herself up right. The woman’s voice had quivered, though only slightly and had given Clarity a false hope in her. What if Jack was right and this lady was someone to be wary of? Her smile faltered faintly in disappointment and her eyes began to downcast.

Clarity scanned the woman’s appearance once more. Now that she was closer she could tell the lady had reddish brown hair, lighter than her own, and pretty murky green eyes. She resembled a weed, filthy, in desperate need of a bath but Clarity had the feeling that once the lady was properly cleaned and pampered a beautiful flower would emerge.

“That man over there,” she began, pointing to Jack, “sells perfumes that you can place in a bath.” Clarity paused slightly wondering why she was about to be so generous to this stranger. “I’ve already paid for a good room tonight but you can have it for the most part.”

Perhaps she looked like Jolon and that was the reason behind her actions. She had similar features and looked about the same age as her. Her behavior was similar to the time when Jolon began practicing Summoning. Distant yet willing.

“Come on, let’s get you cleaned up.” Clarity offered as she flicked a lock of dirt crusted hair.
Posting schedual:
Clarity Tess
Owner of one mean kitty

Character sheet

Postby Hayii on July 9th, 2011, 12:29 am

As the other young woman heard Hayii's answer and came with her own reply, the corners of her mouth dropped a bit, and she looked down. Was she disappointed with Hayii's inability to pick up on her obvious clues? Or was it the girl's upkeeping of the façade that upset her? Maybe she'd hoped that the now former slave would be so terrified of the slave seeker's presence this fast that she would've willingly followed her back - perhaps she'd hoped so because she didn't like the thought of fighting? Well, if that's the case, Hayii thought, she'll have to do it anyway. I won't give up now.

As she was trying to think of a way to win the upcoming match, the other woman told her that her male sidekick was in fact selling bath oils. Hayii stiffened. Her master, the merchant, had been carrying a big load of those along with his usual goods. The man over there must be the one he sold them to. It all makes sense. She looked carefully at the man; he luckily seemed too drunk to be much of a challenge in the fight that would no doubt erupt soon.

Hayii was torn away from this row of thoughts when the other woman opened her mouth again. Both her brain and her face were paralyzed with shock for a moment, but she quickly regained enough control of her to start analyzing what the woman said.

She's giving me her room because she won't be there for the most part. She'll be off to tell my owner about all this, I guess. And when the two of them return, I'll be conveniently asleep and easily movable. Seriously, how stupid do they think I am?

The next thing happened very fast. Hayii was so tightly wound up that snapping was unavoidable. As the woman's hand neared her head, she didn't even hear what was said for the blood rush in her ears. Her primal instincts had been awakened by the stress and fear, and they didn't care that she was in an inn full of witnesses. She attacked the enemy standing in front of her.

OOCHayii's starved and has zero skill points in anything useful for situations like this. Really, you have my permission to make her faint from crashing with a table or something like that if you so desire.
Hayii
"Runaway" slave

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clarity Tess on July 10th, 2011, 8:02 am

Clarity felt herself being knocked to the ground and in an act of instincts thrust her arms in front of her, to catch her fall. As the weight crushed upon her wrist a sharp pain shot up her arm. Letting out a roar of pain she wiggled under the woman’s grasp. Clarity didn’t know what sparked the attack but she sure as hell wasn’t about to give in to the shock. Grasping the lady’s arms she flipped herself over so that she was now on top of the woman.

Shaking her slightly she stared her in the eyes. Clarity was about to take a dangerous risk, there was no time to clear herself of the situation, her stress was high, adrenaline was rushing through her, and she made a haste decision. Ramming up her deji she locked her eyes on the frenzied woman. This situation would require more effort than normal, as the woman was struggling against her hold.

Clarity sent a single, most piercing thought to the woman.
“STOP, STOP, STOP!” It was desperate and shrill, and Clarity knew that it would register in the woman’s mind that way too.

Nothing really happened but Clarity felt the familiar thick wetness on her face. Ripping herself from the woman she stood and touched her face. This was a sign that she had overgived. Normally, this would not have happened, but this had been a waste of her skill, hopeless before she began. The stress was too high for it to work.

Frantically she began wiping under her eyes, slightly fearful off the consequences of her actions. Clarity raised her hands to her face so she could see them. Bright crimson blood covered her fingers and laced down her palms. She gave a soft scream of horror before looking to the woman again. Tears began welling themselves as the blood leaked into her eyes.
Posting schedual:
Clarity Tess
Owner of one mean kitty

Character sheet

Postby Hayii on July 12th, 2011, 9:20 pm

The two women fell to the floor, Hayii on top. The slave hunter seemed so genuinely shocked for a second that the hunted momentarily started to doubt her reasoning. Maybe she'd been so caught up in her fear of being caught again that she'd misinterpreted the other's signals? The attacked didn't stay stunned for long, though, and she quickly became the one on top. The counterattack blew all doubting thoughts away from Hayii's mind, though she still was not sure whether they were right.

She fought desperately to get out of the other woman's clawlike hold, but she was too determined for it to be an easy task. The two girls locked eyes for a moment. Hayii briefly noticed that the other's were a very piercingly blue when a thought hit her mind.

STOP, STOP, STOP!, Hayii heard her own voice yell internally. It stumped her for long enough to let the other woman escape the fight. And why would a slave catcher want to escape?, Hayii bitterly thought to herself. She was just being annoyingly friendly, and I attacked her. Good luck getting awa - Hayii's inner monologue stopped immediately when she saw that the woman she'd attacked was bleeding from her eyes.

I - I didn't even hit her head, did I? Hayii cautiously arose and slowly approached the woman. She couldn't judge the seriousness of the injury as she'd never seen anything like it before, but the girl was certainly acting as if it was - even giving a faint shriek as she saw the blood on her frantically wiping hands - and that was reason enough for Hayii to worry for the girl.

When she was standing a few feet from the injured, she said softly, “You weren't really sent by him to get me, were you?”

She bent her head a bit. “I'm sorry. If there's anything I can do to make up for this...” Her already silent voice trailed off.
Hayii
"Runaway" slave

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clarity Tess on July 21st, 2011, 10:08 pm

Clarity knew that she had a limited amount of time before her less desirable personality traits broke free and the insane woman before her would flee. By now everyone was looking at the pair and casting fearful glances at the other woman. The lady before her mentioned a man briefly and apologized. Clarity imagined that she looked like a wounded animal to the rest of the spectators and hastily made a decision.

The tenants wouldn’t kick her out, she was a regular customer who brought them business in the form of salesmen and newcomers. But the woman wouldn’t be allowed to stay without a vouch from someone they knew. Grasping the woman’s arm she began to drag her out of view from the others and to her room. She blocked out any reaction from the other until the door shut behind them.

Much to Clarity’s dismay Maya had gotten into her backpack and had flung her belongings about the room. The kitten was now lounging on the bed licking her paws delicately.

“MAYA!!!” Clarity roared, but the kit paid its master no attention.
Letting out a huff she released the woman’s arm and snatched a cloth off the floor before using it to dab the blood from her eyes. After a few moments of silence she spoke.
“Care to explain yourself?” She asked sourly.
Posting schedual:
Clarity Tess
Owner of one mean kitty

Character sheet

Postby Hayii on July 21st, 2011, 11:54 pm

The woman she'd just erroneously attacked took her by the arm, hauling her along. At first, Hayii was too full with remorse and shock to really try to get out of the other's grab, thinking she'd ruined everything for herself now. The spectators would certainly remember her after pulling that stunt. And the poor girl she'd attacked - she seemed so fragile now.

She slowly started to worry where the girl was taking her. They were definitely walking towards the guest rooms, but why? What was waiting for them there? It couldn't possibly be a good thing. Hayii was so used to being a slave that she was certain someone would punish her soon; she'd been granted escape and ruined her chance, so now the gods would probably fulfil a master's role by intertwining her destiny with someone who'd harm her. Despite this, she didn't fight much against the tight grip. If the gods wanted to punish her, it would certainly happen no matter what. She'd just as well get it over with.

The gripping woman opened a door and walked in with Hayii in tow. The room seemed nice, but very messy; toiletries and food was spread over everything. Probably the job of that kitten on her bed, Hayii thought, and her suspicion was confirmed when the woman yelled a name, glaring at the cat. It didn't react, though.

The woman let go of Hayii's arm to pick up a piece of fabric and wipe the blood from her eyes. Whatever this weird injury was, it couldn't be as serious as she'd first thought. This knowledge relieved her; at least her idiotic act hadn't done any irreparable damage to anybody else than herself.

The woman turned around and asked for an explanation, her voice still angry. Hayii took a deep breath to stabilize herself. When the woman heard her story, she'd give the man his possession back. Lying was out of the question, though. Hayii couldn't possibly invent a plausible story on such a short notice. She had to tell the truth. She breathed audibly once more to buy herself a precious moment to figure out where to start. When she couldn't keep it longer without looking ridiculous, she opened her mouth to speak.

"You see this mark on my hand?" Hayii asked with a flat, unemotional voice coming from a flat, unemotional face while lifting her left hand to give the other a proper view of its back. "It's the slave mark. Right now, I'm legally the property of a riding merchant." She paused to find the right words for the next part.

"I was looking after the horses right outside the city while he was inside. Then I heard a... song... dragging me into the city... I was in a trance-like state. Not able to think.

Suddenly I awoke from whatever it was. I wanted to go back while there was still a slim chance my owner hadn't noticed, but the street behind me didn't lead to that stone face any more. I think the gods must have changed it. I realized he wouldn't be able to find me and deliver my punishment now if I just kept my head low. Then I entered this inn. You know the rest," Hayii told the stranger, her voice still void of any feelings.
Hayii
"Runaway" slave

Character sheet
Scrapbook

Postby Clarity Tess on July 26th, 2011, 5:53 am

Listening to the woman’s story Clarity began to make sense out of the happenings of the day. The mark was clear proof that the dirty lady was a slave, and the grime was something attained over time. It certainly seemed that this woman was indeed a slave. Clarity was never a greedy person, but she began to think what sum of money she could obtain for turning the girl in. Not much, she decided. Merchants were not very wealthy, and would have little money to spare from their tight budgets of prophet. Besides, Clarity wouldn’t know where to find the man who had owned this slave in the first place, and after her act of overgiving she wouldn’t have the energy to go looking, never mind the fact that she would be towing a ferocious lady along with her.

Letting out a long sigh she began to pick the numerous items off the floor. As she plucked a piece of jerked beef from the floor (now ruined) she thought about how the woman was lured away. Being a fierce believer in Ionu she came to the quick conclusion that it was he (or she) that had helped the girl. Clarity straightened up after placing the kitten gnawed beef in front of Maya. The kit gave it a quick lick before turning her face away from it. Clarity ignored this gesture.

“Ionu has been kind.” She murmured. If Ionu spared the girl from a life of slavery then Clarity felt it was her duty to also help her.

Quickly she opened the door and called the attention of a service boy.

“You there, boy, go fetch me two pails of warm water and place them in the bath. Take these coins and go buy some bath oil from the drunken man out in the social area, a good tip will be waiting when you’re done.”

Clarity placed a handful of coins in the boy’s hand. He nodded quickly and took off down the hall. Turning back to the woman she gently guided her to the bed. Maya seemed quite perturbed by this and jumped off, scurrying out of the door after the boy. Rolling her eyes at the snooty kit she focused back on the woman.

“So tell me your name.”
Posting schedual:
Clarity Tess
Owner of one mean kitty

Character sheet

Next