[Flashback] A Simple Story (Varian)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Ephraim on July 8th, 2011, 10:15 pm

57th day of Winter, 510 AV

Almost...almost....Eph leaped at the homeless cat but the sneaky being run off before the young half-blood could snatch it. There was a loud noise of wooden crates hitting a pavement and vicious curses being hurled at the cat. He knew that voice, way too much. It was their neighbor and apparently it was his cat...Ephraim scolded himself for his urge to eat the cat. Devouring neighbor’s pet animals didn't have a good impact on the relationship. The half-Dhani decided to slowly and carefully leave before someone will pay attention to a suspiciously prowling mixed blood. One step...two...” What are ya doin' here, you little scoundrel?” Ephraim jumped hearing the coarse voice behind his back His golden eyes widened with fear. “Nothing?” The boy responded and tensed his body, preparing to retreat quickly.

”Nothin' my ass , punk. “ The man shook his large fist and Eph took it as a sign to scram. The half-breed darted from the angry man as fast as he could, trying to ignore very vivid insults about him being a snake spawn. Wind swept against his face as the boy sprinted down the alley and jumped over the canal, landing on a small boat. It shook dangerously but Eph managed to keep balance. The half-blood climbed back at the street level and sat down,with feet dangling above water. His chest was heaving and sweat trickled down his cheeks like salty tears. But Eph didn't feel a distress, such behavior was common since the day he was born. Even more...It was fun. The adrenaline rush had put him in an euphoric state ; more so than alcohol he sometimes stole from his mother's cupboard.

This year it would be his sixteen birthday. The age humans are considered young adults but Ephraim felt nowhere near that. He didn't want to work, he didn't want to spend his miserably long lifespan in Ravok doing normal's people stuff. There was no appeal in it, there was no appeal in being 'this freak' for the most of his life. Maybe migrate someone? Ahnatep? Maybe find is father? Ephraim shook his head. Stupid. He didn't even know the name of this Dhani, let alone the place he was in now. Maybe in a warmer place? At least. Syliras winters even in Ravok could be a menace, especially for someone with Eph's heritage. Half of the season he was walking sick and in a foul mood. Ephraim sniffed, feeling runny nose again.

There was a commotion not far from him and Ephraim looked with curiosity at the group of people. The guard was harassing some young man. The mixed blood flashed a smile, happy that today someone else was being a victim of the guard's diligence. Maybe it is a good distraction for him to snatch something. The half-Dhani jumped to his feet and casually walked toward the crowd. People were focused on the scene, giving the young thief a good opportunity. The boy lowered his head, hidden in a dark hood and bumped into the nearest person, trying to grip anything he might have by his belt.

OOCI hope the set up is ok, didn't really know what to put ^^
Last edited by Ephraim on July 11th, 2011, 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My other characters:

Jamisia Abijah - Ahnatep [flashbacks] and currently Alvadas

Don't hesitate to PM about roleplays :)
Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Words: 32199
Joined roleplay: June 22nd, 2011, 6:03 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet

Postby Varian Snowsong on July 10th, 2011, 6:24 am

Ravok was beautiful. It was likely one of the most beautiful places he had ever seen – and he had travelled the world extensively in the past year, looking for that one story that would make him famous among his people. Since his arrival in Sylira’s northernmost city he had spent hours in a boat, gliding along the canals, admiring the buildings on both sides. There was a dark beauty to this city that he couldn’t resist. There was something about it that almost made him forget the everpresent worship of a god that he despised and the strange, dead woman that had brought him here, that was still waiting for him.

As Ephraim was just about to flee from the angry man, the Vantha exited his boat, deciding to take a walk through the city and inspect some of the houses a little more closely. It was winter in Ravok, but to him who bore the mark of Morwen and had spent the majority of his life in a place where it snowed throughout the year, the temperatures were comparatively pleasant. The Vantha wore neither coat nor hat nor gloves, and the dark jacket he had on was unbuttoned. To him winter in Ravok was more akin to a warm summer day.

There was a commotion a little ahead. He hesitated for a moment and furrowed his brow, wondering if he should investigate or if it would be better to walk the other way as quickly as possible. The presence of Rhysol’s followers and the Ebonstryfe made him severely uncomfortable. He didn’t want to run into them. But then his curiosity got the better of him, the same kind of curiosity that would be his downfall in the not too distant future, and he slowly came closer. He could see that the guards were harrassing a young man. The Vantha stood on his tiptoes so that he could see what was going on better – while he would be considered of average height among his kind, he tended to be shorter than most men in this part of the world.

And then he felt a hand, touching the small purse at his belt that was only half hidden by his jacket. He spun around abruptly. Eyes that had been a calm, clear blue only moments before suddenly flashed red, and he attempted to close his arm around the boy’s wrist and pry his fingers apart so that he could see if he had already stolen anything. „What do you think you are doing, boy?“ he hissed and proceeded to try and drag him a few steps away from the crowd so that they wouldn’t be overheard as easily.
Varian Snowsong
Player

Words: 36712
Joined roleplay: July 5th, 2011, 11:10 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ephraim on July 11th, 2011, 3:37 pm

The crowd was busy with the spectacle. A dream situation for a thief...Just Ephraim wasn't one. Not by far. The half-Dhani had almost no background in criminal activities. Thus far he had managed to pick pocket maybe five people, last time barely escaping the chase. It didn't stop him from trying to pick pocket the sixth person. In future Eph would learn that your victim shouldn't be chosen randomly and generally young, healthy men are not a good target, foreigners especially. They tend to watch their belongings like hawks. Ephraim didn't know it; he didn't even look at who he is stealing from. A rookie mistake that the half-blood was about to pay.

His fingers found the man's belt and quickly felt a purse hidden there. The people were getting more and more agitated by what they were witnessing; he crowd began to wave as driven by some primal instinct. The guards were Rhysol's followers; their brutality on many occasions knew no bounds. But it didn't concern Eph at the moment, all the half-Dhani wanted was the small leather purse. His greedy, slender fingers dug into the small treasure and gripped a cold metal. A coin! Eph's lips stretched in a triumphant grin when there was a sudden movement in the corner of his eye and a warm, human hand closing on his wrist. The half-blood jerked, surprised; the smile turned into an expression of fear and anger when he looked in the man's eyes. They seemed to be filled with a fluid that danced, with no true color to them. Vantha.

Ephraim could feel man's fingers trying to pry his hand open in which a small coin rested. „What do you think you are doing, boy?“ The man's voice was angry, threatening. Eph hissed in response like an angry snake caught by its meal. He felt himself being dragged away from the crowd but refused to give up the coin. If the Vantha would call up the guard, he would say it wasn't him who was a thief. Maybe Ephraim was a mongrel, but a resident mongrel. Vantha was a stranger and Rhysol's servants didn't look kindly upon those.

They were now few steps away from others; the show was over and people were going to their daily chores; fed up with excitement for today. A Vantha struggling with a mixed-blood was nowhere near as interesting now as the bleeding body of the young man who was trying to fight the guard.”Let me go.” Eph snarled, though was tempted to strike and run away but it would bring too much attention and maybe two of them would be another crowd's attraction. Ephraim didn't know much about Vantha but he had never heard about their fighting prowess. Even if the man was older, Eph would try to fight him...but not here.

OOCSomething weird is happening to my browser and I can't format anything prpoerly, so sorry for all the coding erros, lack of background etc.. >.<
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Varian Snowsong on July 14th, 2011, 2:56 pm

In front of him the people were growing more and more agitated with every passing second. They seemed to push each other into some kind of frenzy, but the Vantha was only half aware of it. His entire attention was focused on the little thief at the moment. He had been robbed! He had definitely felt the boy’s hand in his pocket! „Why should I let you go?“ he asked. The tone of his voice was harsh, his accent a little strange, betraying the fact that he was not a native speaker, and his eyes were still the same angry shade of red as before.

He noticed that the crowd was beginning to disperse, that it was beginning to get a little more quiet and made another step away, worried that the Ebonstryfe would eventually focus their attention on them. There was not a doubt in his mind that he could get in a lot of trouble with them, even if he was in the right. The Ebonstryfe didn’t exactly seem to be the kind of people that embraced strangers with open arms.

„You have stolen from me“, he reminded the boy. „Now I know that Ravok might be a little different in that regard, but where I come from we don’t like thieves. It’s better if you earn your money. I might let you keep the coin however – and give you even more – if you do something for me. You are from here, aren’t you?“

Doubt was visible on his face for a moment, but his decision had already been made. He had noticed that the boy looked unlike any Ravokian he had ever seen – almost unlike any human. His eyes were yellow, his skin golden, and there was something almost inhuman about his manner of speech. He most likely had an interesting story to tell, maybe even the kind of story that he had been looking for since he had arrived in the city.

If he agreed to this deal, the Vantha quietly decided, he would graciously overlook the fact that he was a thief and not betray him to anybody and risk getting in trouble with the Ebonstryfe. For now though he still had his finger’s around Ephraim’s wrist.
Varian Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ephraim on July 15th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Ephraim looked around, at the thinning crowd, then at his hand, still being closed in the man's hand. There was no way out and the half-Dhani had no good answer at why the foreigner should let him go. If he was a Ravokian, most likely Eph would be a food for a local fauna by now so the young mixed blood considered himself lucky, though there was also a part with him that was shocked by the man's calm reaction.

He couldn't helped but be pulled a little further away from the Ebonstryfe guards. Most likely the stranger didn't want to draw attention to them. Eph sighed inwardly with relief, but there was the same expression of tension and defiance in his inhuman features to be soon after changed into shock when the man wanted to hire him. Few moments had to pass before Ephraim could wrap his mind around that. This was indeed a foreigner from a land where you offer thieves work. The mixed blood looked at the red-eyed human's features and then again at his wrist imprisoned in a very strong grasp. His lips moved but no sound came from them. Eph sighed and swallowed the ball of shame and fear that was forming in his throat. ”What would you want me to do?” He asked with hesitance.

The man was curiously looking over his features and Eph winced slightly, but didn't notice any disgust or revulsion which was another odd thing about the foreigner. Nothing about him was what Ephraim expected..And that accent. Every sentence seemed like part of a song, melodious speech, even in Common. Ephraim didn't know much about Vantha, only what he had heard about changing their eye color but wasn't aware they could sing and talk at he same time.

The man was still holding his wrist, which began to ache a bit, but the half-Dhani relaxed, still suspicious about the Vantha's proposal but the guards were walking away which was always easing tension in Eph. Even when he had been a child, with no thieving on his mind, Ephraim was scared of them. Mostly because they often showed him what they regarded the mixed blood as. The half-breed looked into two red orbs with his golden ones. “You can let me go now...” He said, still thinking about escaping but the man promised him some coins for work and that was something Eph wouldn't scoff at.
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Varian Snowsong on July 18th, 2011, 4:00 pm

The Vantha’s eyes slowly changed from red to a calmer blue as the boy accepted his offer. His whole body seemed to relax. For a moment he had really been worried that the strange halfblood would pull a dagger out and try to stab him, that he would alert the guards or do something equally unpleasant – that he would accuse him of being a criminal - that he would not give him the story that he wanted, but it seemed as if the gods were with him this day. The hint of a smile flickered across his face, almost against his will.

„Nothing dangerous. I mean you no harm“, he quickly assured Ephraim as he inquired what it was that he wanted. His voice was still barely more than a whisper, calm, meant to reassure the thief, as if he had already forgiven him for his crime, as if it would be of little consequence in the long run.

„I just wanted to talk to you for a moment. There is something about you that interests me. Is there anywhere else we can go? A tavern maybe? I’m afraid this is not the best place to have a conversation.“ He nodded towards where the crowd had been moments before. „You must be as worried about the Ebonstryfe as I am.“

As he said this, he abruptly released Ephraim’s arm, but he stayed close to him so that he wouldn’t be able to run and looked at him. The boy was not entirely human, there was little doubt about that as far as he was concerned. He had never seen a human with eyes like that. Kelvic maybe? No, Kelvic were animals that sometimes wore the form of a human, but he didn’t act like an animal in human skin. Half Eypharian? Zith? That didn’t entirely seem to fit either. If he were half Zith, he would be a little hairier, maybe even have wings. How had somebody like him ended up in a city that was devoted to such an evil god?

„I might even buy you a meal.“ He reached into a pocket and removed a gold miza that he presented to the boy, a means to tempt him.
Varian Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ephraim on July 27th, 2011, 7:39 am

Ephraim watched transfixed how the man's eyes changed color from crimson red to calm blue. He had never seen something like that, but aside from that the man looked normal. A bit shorter than most humans he was used to but nothing unusual. Still these eyes really caught his attention and didn't make it easier to believe the stranger meant no harm. Though the man's voice was soothing and didn't cause Eph's fear to flare or signal any danger. The mixed blood listened to the man's calm whisper, relaxing a bit but not completely. Forgiveness was rare in Ravok, treating the half-Dhani like a human being even less often. The man's lack of disdain was unusual, something Ephraim didn't really know how to treat.

He followed his gaze after the man's and nodded. Ebonstryfe were a mean bunch, even as a citizen the mixed blood didn't have an easy life. ”There are tavernsss in Ravok. The Beer Hut isss on the outssskirtsss. Ebonssstrfye rarely ssspend time there.” He spoke with a barely audible whisper. He was still scared and couldn't control his speech well, hissing sounds made him feel ashamed and somehow out of place, so the boy lowered the tone of his voice to hide them. Not that it worked though...” I don't deal with Rhysssol followersss when I don't have to...” He added in response, confirming him and the Ebonstryfe were not friends. There was even a flicker of disgust when he mentioned the evil god. Ephraim didn't like any of the gods, but Rhysol's believers were particularly nasty and racist.

When the man released his hand, Eph's body tensed in unconscious reaction, preparing him to flee but the mixed blood resisted the urge and returned the gaze. He could tell that the Vantha human before him seemed very curious, judging by how his color shifting eyes scanned his features. Ephraim felt uneasy, but didn't see anything more than just interest. No disgust or abhorrence he was so used to. ”Looking for sssomething?” The mixed blood commented the man's interest cheekily and rubbed his wrist. The human didn't look like someone strong but his grip on the half-blood's hand was saying otherwise.

The expression on Eph's face immediately changed when the Vantha made his proposal. His eyes began to shine when saw a golden miza and his stomach contracted at the mention of a free meal. The half-Dhani felt saliva gathering in his mouth; He swallowed loudly. No harm in talking to a stranger? They would be in a tavern after all. Before Ephraim's eyes appeared all the warning his mother had given him and lessons he had learned himself. This man look trustworthy, however. And had a very nice voice but what was even more appealing, he didn't really show any disgust at Ephraim's sight. A disgust that seemed to be almost automatic response in humans of Ravok. Maybe humans of Vantha were more tolerant or just this man had an exotic tastes...The mixed blood shuddered at the thought. ”But only a talk?” He asked, his golden gaze focused on the man's eyes.

OOCSorry for the long wait, I was on vacation. :)
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Varian Snowsong on July 31st, 2011, 12:40 pm

„The Beer Hut?“ the Vantha repeated and furrowed his brow slightly as he considered Ephraim’s words. As far as he was concerned, the name didn’t sound particularly promising. It reminded him of a slightly rundown establishment where members of the lower classes gathered to drink until they passed out (preferrably beer or cheap liquor) and told crude jokes that would make a sailor blush. But if the Ebonstryfe wasn’t there, it would be worth taking a look at at least. „Will we really be left alone there?“ he wanted to know. „Can you take me there?“

He noticed that the boy’s speech impairment – if that was what it was – was more pronounced when he was agitated. He seemed to be talking with a lisp now. He was almost hissing like a snake in fact. In all his travels the Vantha had never encountered anybody who had talked like that. Was he part Symenestra? He remembered that they had elongated canines. If he had such long teeth in his mouth, he would certainly have trouble speaking properly, but the boy’s eyes just didn’t fit to that, and the color of his skin was wrong as well. The mystery seemed to be growing greater and greater with every passing chime.

Ephraim’s question pulled him out of his thoughts abruptly, and he started at the halfblood in confusion. What did he mean? What did he want to suggest with those words? „I’m not looking for anything“, he replied curtly, slightly offended. What did the boy think he was? A pervert that preferred young boys, that raped them and abused them? A mage that wanted a victim for his experiments? He was aware that such people existed, but the very thought of it made him sick. The Vantha had never felt the need to indulge in such things. He had always been a largely honorable man.

„I just want a story from you, nothing more and nothing less“, he assured him. „I’m sorry if I hurt you by the way“, he added as he noticed that Ephraim was rubbing the wrist where he had grabbed him. But then again, Ephraim had tried to steal from him, and thus the treatment he had received had been justified.

„Only a talk“, he said to him again and handed the coin he had previously been holding in his hand to Ephraim. „I swear, you can trust me. Do I look like a criminal?“ He gestured towards himself and laughed as if the thought amused him because it was so out there. He was short and slender, graceful compared to the humans outside of Avanthal, with fine features. As far as he was concerned, there was nothing about him that suggested that he had less than honorable motives.
Varian Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Ephraim on July 31st, 2011, 4:09 pm

The man didn't seem to be thrilled by the tavern Ephraim proposed but asked to be taken there. The mixed blood didn't think of the Beer Hut as a top notch place and couldn't blame the Vantha human for having doubts. The fact that in more than half taverns in Ravok he had no entry mostly for being what he was – a troublemaker half-breed thief. Any of these trait were a good reasons to be thrown out from the inn. Eph shuffled his feet impatiently, still feeling nervous around the stranger which seemed almost offended by the half blood's question. It was unlikely that the man was some sick killer but in Ravok you never knew.

”Hey, don't look at me like that, you have no idea what kind of sssick people run around in this sssity.” Ephraim explained with a hurt expression on his features. A story? ”Why would anyone want that?” He asked, genuinely surprised. The young half-Dhani even forgot about aching wrist until the man didn't apologies to him which caught Eph off guard. He looked down on his wrist and muttered something unintelligible. He was not used to hear something like that and never knew what to do when someone was nice to him.

”Do I look like one?” He asked cheekily and gestured at the man to follow him. His reassurance made Ephraim a bit calmer though he still didn't know what to expect. His story was not all that interesting, aside from the half-human part, but that was something he didn't really like to talk about. There was not much to tell anyway, but any spotlight on his dual heritage made him uneasy.

”There.” He nodded at the run down shack. Not really something you would like to show a tourist, if you were proud of your city. Ephraim wasn't. He hated Ravok and Ebonstryfe but he also knew that someone like him wouldn't have a good life anywhere. At least Rhysol's city was a familiar evil. At least he didn't lie, no Ebonstryfe was around to harass them and only few drunks rolled through the doors of the Beer Hut. He asked, his golden gaze focused on the man's eyes.
My other characters:

Ephraim
Mangy Mongrel Thief

Character sheet

Postby Varian Snowsong on August 10th, 2011, 8:02 pm

„I’m glad that I don’t have any idea“, the Vantha remarked somewhat dryly and suppressed a shudder. The boy’s comment made him wonder what he had experienced here, on the streets of Ravok, whether he had ever been hurt or abused before. Without a doubt life for somebody that looked different wasn’t easy here. For a moment he was tempted to ask him about it – it would be good to know what kind of trouble one could run into in Ravok – but then he decided that it might be a better idea to be quiet for now. Maybe Ephraim didn’t want to be reminded of a possibly painful experience, maybe it would make him less inclined to give him the story that he wanted.

„Why?“ he repeated and smiled. His eyes suddenly shimmered brightly with enthusiasm, and the tone of his voice changed a little as if he were not in the middle of an unfamiliar and potentially dangerous city anymore, but on a stage, speaking to his audience. „My people, the Vantha, value stories. We are bards, musicians, storytellers. I’ve come to this part of the world, to this city to find new stories, and you look like you might be able to give me one. Does that seem strange to you?“ It probably did seem a little strange to a boy who seemed to be forced to rely on stealing to survive, he thought. He doubted that Ephraim had ever met a bard or been the subject of a bard’s song.

„Well ...“ he replied as Ephraim asked him if he looked like a criminal. „You tried to steal from me, thus you are a criminal or a potential criminal, but in general, I can’t really say. Do criminals have any physical characteristics in common?“ He shrugged his shoulders. It wasn’t really a matter he wanted to think about further. It had just been a rhetorical question anyway. So he focused his gaze on the run down shack that the boy had just pointed out, looking really, really doubtful as he did so. He was even less impressed now that he could see the Beer Hut with his own eyes. As far as he was concerned, the place was in bad need of a repair.

„This is it?“ he asked and glanced at the drunks. Varian occasionally enjoyed a glass of alcohol, but he rarely got really drunk. His songs tended to lack quality then. The only good thing about the place was the lack of members of the Ebonstryfe. But maybe the Beer Hut looked better on the inside. The Vantha hesitated for a moment, wondering whether he’d get robbed if he went inside, and then he decided that Ephraim didn’t look like he had accomplices, and thus he approached the building and then gestured for Ephraim to go in in front of him since it seemed as if the boy was familiar with the place.
Varian Snowsong
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next