[Flashback] Adventure Starts Here (Tessa Poe)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built into the cliffs overlooking the Suvan Sea, Riverfall resides on the edge of grasslands of Cyphrus where the Bluevein River plunges off the plain and cascades down to the inland sea below. Home of the Akalak, Riverfall is a self-supporting city populated by devoted warriors. [Riverfall Codex]

Postby Fela Meason on July 27th, 2011, 10:37 pm

23rd Day of Winter, 508 AV

The sun was setting in the cliff side town. Orange rays streaked the sky as stars started to peek through and stud the sky like diamonds. Earlier that day Fela and Salida had stepped off the boat greeted with warm male smiles. Their names logged and lodging paid for they entered the city. The city was grand and immense, large tiers stacked high into the cliff face. She felt as if she had been walking all day, uphill, and judging by the placement of the sun she had been.

The smell of fresh baked bread tickled her nose and led her like a well trained dog towards it's scent. Another scent caught her attention, fresh meat. Everywhere she looked and scented she was surrounded by paradise. Fela smiled and wandered from store to store looking at the wares from windows where they were available but never going in.

Fela huddled in her cloak as the winds kicked up again and slapped her with frigid blasts. The weather was so different from Alvadas and would take some getting used to. For well over a chime Fela wandered following every lovely sight and sound, at last she looked up at the sky and realized it had gone completely dark. Only Leth's light led her now. She looked around and was puzzled. She did not recognize any of her surroundings. She didn't see anymore shops, or guards. A trickle of fear started in the pit of her stomach. Here she was in an unfamiliar place and had managed to get herself well and lost.

The temperature was dropping and getting colder. Frustrated Fela lowered herself into the middle of the street and sat contemplating her situation.

OOCFela Left Salida at the inn (Five Silver Mizas) while she explored the city
This is Fela talking, This is Fela thinking, This is text, and This is someone else talking.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Words: 149056
Joined roleplay: June 21st, 2011, 3:31 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tessa Poe on July 28th, 2011, 9:48 am

It had been a couple of months since Tessa had parted ways from the caravan that had been her life up until now and so far it had been... tricky to say the least. She'd gotten pretty thoroughly lost on her second day out of Endrykas. It wasn't her fault that the grasslands all looked the same now was it? Regardless if it hadn't have been for those Drykas riders kindly pointing out the way she should have been going, and then thankfully running across that caravan a couple of days after that she'd never have gotten here. Apparently she'd been lucky to find them too, she'd learned that caravans weren't particularly common this far into Cyphrus and given that the wildlife around these parts only got hungrier as the weather grew colder... maybe someone up there was looking out for her.

It was while she'd been travelling with them that she'd heard about how Riverfall relied on trade coming across the Suvan Sea for the most part and that had given her the rough plan of maybe booking passage on a ship to get back to Syliras. That way she'd get to see the giant waterfall, see some of the city and then be back in more familiar territory by Spring at the latest. It had been a pretty good plan as plans went.

As it turned out that wasn't exactly working out for her. Those she'd managed to ask about it all said the same thing, the weather wasn't right for sailing and ships were an awful lot rarer than during the warmer seasons. Which meant that she might be stuck here, for a while. That was what the humans said, the Akalak's that she'd spoken to were just... creepy. They were nice and polite to a fault, she had to admit that, but she felt like she was being watched by them pretty much all the time, like they wanted something from her but she couldn't for the life of her work out what that was. So with the whole being stuck here thing and her need to get away from the stares that seemed to follow her in mind she'd figured she might as well see some of the city, try and learn her way around a little. The result of that was inevitable really. She was lost. Again. She drew her slightly too large seeming coat round herself a little tighter against the wind's chill, they really hadn't been kidding when they said it got cold up here. You'd think that since it was higher up that it'd be warmer, closer to the sun and all that. Her stomach interrupted her thougts with a little growl of protest, reminding her just how long it'd been since she'd both seen someone else and eaten something, he'd been such a nice man and that pastry thing she'd bought from him had tasted wonderful. If only he'd had a bath she could have used too, she dreaded to think of what she looked, and smelled like for that matter, after so long on the road.

With the thought of more of those savoury pastries and maybe a warm bath she set off again, the light jingle of the chainmail sections within her coat accompanying each step as she cast about for anything that seemed familiar, the darkness wasn't doing much to help with that it had to be said. It was strange just how different everything looked in it, then again it could just be that she'd never been down this particular street. Who knew? All she knew was that she really had to find somewhere to spend the night or she'd freeze to death out here.

Well, that might be a little over dramatic, but she'd catch a cold at least. "I suppose I could wrap myself up and sleep in a doorway or something... do they throw you out of the city for that though? Ohhh where in the hells is an inn? This is ridiculous! I mean I've been here all of a couple of bells and already I'm..." she didn't actually realise that she'd started her little muttered commentary until she rounded the next corner, but the sound of her own voice was quite comforting and so she carried on with. She reached back to draw her hood up, entirely failing to notice the red haired girl sitting in the middle of the street ahead of her as it fell over her eyes for a moment. She came to a halt as she pushed it clear, it would've have round the day off so perfectly if she'd managed to trip over something she couldn't see. Once her vision was clear again she realised she wasn't alone on the street and she couldn't help but smile at the sight. Finally! It's been forever since I saw someone, ohhhh I hope they speak common, or they at least know where I am... maybe I could mime it if they don't?

"Ummm... hello there? Do you speak common? I'm trying to..." Tessa trailed off, partly due to a sudden attack of nerves and partly because if they didn't understand the first question there wasn't any point in asking a second.
Last edited by Tessa Poe on August 1st, 2011, 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Words: 241539
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2011, 8:32 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Fela Meason on July 30th, 2011, 1:15 am

It's cold, I'm hungry, I'm grumpy and I'm lost. Fela grumbled and leaned back on your hands. This was turning out to be an awful start to what should have been a marvelous adventure. She sighed and closed her eyes focusing her senses on trying to find her location. Footsteps approached behind her and a new scent mingled with the baking breads and freshly slaughtered meats of the second tier.

A voice rang out in the dark grabbing her attention, Fela turned her head to look at the newcomer. She really was quite lovely. Miles of tanned skin framed by stark black hair. Brilliant blue eyes stared back at her, they were filled with concern and worry. For whom still remained to be answered. She was much taller than Fela and smelt of human pure and hearty. Her muscle spoke of long hours on the walk, her skin told the tale of many miles traveled in the sun. This girl had a story that would make any old Vantha proud. Fela had a million questions but it would have to wait until she had more information.

Ummm... hello there? Do you speak common? I'm trying to... The girl trailed off and left the sentence hanging in the air. Fela could hear her breath quicken in panic and feel the beat of her heart against her skin. She was nervous and the nerves were rising and bubbling up inside her. Fela pulled herself to her feet and tried to make herself as innocent looking as possible as to not frighten the girl. Hi...Fela smiled. Yes, common is my native tongue. My name is Fela, are you alright? Standing next to the girl Fela felt dwarfed at her meager 5'2" and had to crane her neck to look into the girls eyes. A low rumble was carried across the breeze, the girls stomach. She was hungry. Fela reached into her backpack she had with her and pulled out a couple pieces of jerked beef and offered some to the girl while taking another for herself. Speaking through a mouth full of beef Fela said, Try one. May not be a fresh baked pie but the spices in this one will really knock ya on your arse.
This is Fela talking, This is Fela thinking, This is text, and This is someone else talking.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tessa Poe on July 30th, 2011, 6:58 pm

As the girl stood and walked over to her the first thing that Tessa realised was just how short she was. Not that that was a bad thing, it was just a little surprising. It was sort of nice to be taller than someone else for a change in this city, the Akalak’s she’d seen had towered over her as she’d wandered the streets, and that was a little intimidating. She really hoped she wasn’t intimidating Fela actually, that’s what she said her name was, wasn’t it? Maybe she could squat a little or something? Or would that be insulting? She was never entirely sure what to do in these situations. Thankfully as the confusion flashed across her face the moon slid from behind the few clouds overhead and Fela’s eyes seemed to glow in its light as she looked up at her, their mismatched colours glimmering from her pale face. It was the first time she'd seen anyone with eyes like that and they really were quite lovely, and the sight banished the confusion and replaced it with a smile. Lovelier still was the rush of relief at hearing the girl speak common, and how nice she was being. She took the offered beef with a grin and took a large bite of it, replying in kind with her mouth full.

"Oh thank the Gods, I've been wandering round this place forever, well not quite forever, that'd be impossible wouldn't it? Ummm sorry, I was trying to find my way to an inn and..." her words came out in a rush, only stopping as she paused to take another large bite out of the dried meat, half wolfing it down to quiet her stomach until the spices Fela had mentioned made themselves known... and they were warm, and getting warmer by the second. Tessa reached down for her waterskin as she started coughing, finding it and struggling with the cap for a moment before finally bringing it to her lips and taking a couple of large gulps to wash the heat away. She took a couple of deep breaths, her eyes wide with shock at the flavour before she managed to speak again "You really weren't... joking about the spices were you?" was all she managed before she started to cough and splutter again and drowned them with some more water. “Sorry, wasn’t expecting it to have… that much of a kick. Oh, I should introduce myself, sorry, that was really rude of me not to isn’t it? Ummm I’m Tessa, Tessa Poe.” Tessa stuck her free hand out, somewhat awkwardly perhaps, and offered it to Fela to shake, that’s what people did when they first met wasn’t it? She’d never really had to do anything like this before. Wait, hadn’t Fela asked her something? Oh yes, if she was alright. Well she’d kind of answered that question with the whole lost wandering around the city thing hadn’t she? Maybe she should try explaining that? Gods this shouldn’t be this hard!
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Fela Meason on July 31st, 2011, 7:45 am

OOCSorry for a short post. Told you mine were shorter lol
Fela choked back a laugh when the girl started coughing. She had made that spice blend herself and knew it's power. She wished she had something else to offer but the rest of their rations were at the inn with Salida. Fela popped another piece of beef in her mouth and listened. Oh, I should introduce myself, sorry, that was really rude of me not to isn’t it? Ummm I’m Tessa, Tessa Poe. Tessa stuck her hand out at Fela with a smile on her face.

Fela raised an eyebrow at the girl, confused. What does she want me to do with her hand? Fela wondered. Fela thought back to her days in Alvadas and her days with Salida's family. She had never seen anyone offer their hand unless something was in it for exchange. Fela had already given her something so there wasn't anything left for an exchange and Tessa's hand was completely empty. She gave her hand a quizzical sniff and thought back even further to her parents. A faded memory crept to the front of her mind, often her mother would nip at her father's hands to show affection, maybe she had offended Tessa by not exchanging a greeting first so now she was demanding it!

Forgive me. She bent her head down and nipped gently at the tips of Tessa's fingers and then offered her own hand out stretched.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tessa Poe on July 31st, 2011, 1:04 pm

Forgive her? Wait, why Fela she look like she didn't know, and why was she asking that of her? As far as she could tell Fela had nothing wrong, maybe she could have warned her about the spices in the beef a little better but that was nothing that needed forgiving. Once you got used to the fact it was so spicey it was pretty good actually, though you definitely needed to wash it down with some water. And she was feeling less of the chill, it wouldn't last but that rush of warmth was more than welcome at the moment.

With those thoughts whirling through her head Tessa was more than a little confused herself as Fela leaned forwards towards her hand, and suddenly wasn't so confused at all as she felt her teeth nip at it. It was a light nip, but still there were teeth involved and she really hadn't been expecting that response. Tessa dragged her hand back with a yelp that was born more out of surprise than actual pain and took a quick step back. Why'd Fela done that? Was that what people did round here, bite each other to say hello? Was Fela expecting her to do the same now? She had her hand out and seemed to be waiting for her to do something. Something other than yelping and backing off a step at least. Maybe she should apologise first and ask what she was supposed to do? Or would that make her look even more of a fool than she did already? No, better to apologise and ask, it always was, that way she'd not make the same mistake again.

"Sorry, I wasn't quite... ummm... expecting that? Is that how people greet each other here? Should I do the same? Sorry, I just... I've not been by myself for long and it's all a little new to me and..." She tailed off hesitantly again, she did that far too much she knew but sometimes she just didn't know what to say. Alright most of the time she didn't know what to say and left her standing there in front of Fela with the worry that she'd made something of a faux pas written all over her face. She really didn't want to offend the one friendly person she'd met so far in this city, but it might be too late for that now. She really hoped it wasn't.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Fela Meason on August 1st, 2011, 7:45 pm

Fela's greeting had not been enjoyed or received quite as she had expected. The poor girl jumped back with a high pitched yelp and turned confused eyes to Fela. Sorry, I wasn't quite... ummm... expecting that? Is that how people greet each other here? Should I do the same? Sorry, I just...I've not been by myself for long and it's all a little new to me and...

Fela met her confused stare with one of her own. Umm...well I guess I haven't really been let loose on the streets long myself. She blushed and stammered a moment not sure what to say. Maybe mimicking her addict mother and bastard of a father in social interactions was not the best thing to do. Yet, the question hung out there in the air, what does one do with an out stretched hand? At last Fela found her voice. I deeply apologize once more to you friend. Fela bowed deeply at the waist, in the animal kingdom you would show your contriteness by sinking as low as you could, it was one step above rolling over on her back and exposing her stomach. Maybe social customs are not my strong suit. Fela smiled but noticed a small shiver in the girl, it was awfully cold out on the streets tonight.

Fela came up from her bow,
I really wish I could help you, but I myself am quite lost. I'm staying some where on the third tier near the boat dock. A place named the Kulkukan. Fela placed her hands behind her head and surveyed the area. Why don't we just start moving and see where it takes us? Fela had a small mischievous grin on her face, this tactic often worked in Alvadas the city of Illusion, but this was a whole different game of Whello.

The two women linked arms and Fela led them off down the road letting their gut instinct take them were they needed to go.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tessa Poe on August 1st, 2011, 11:49 pm

Fela looked as confused as Tessa felt, which was odd, she'd been the one to bite her hadn't she? Maybe it was her little scream, had that scared her? Fela wasn't making any moves to leave as far as Tessa could see, that was good, it meant that she probably hadn't offended her. Now if she could just apologise then it'd all be alright and the two of them could just move on like this hadn't happened, or maybe Fela could while she just pretended that it hadn't and tried not to think about it. Tessa's lips parted in preparation for her apology by Fela beat her to it, and suddenly it all started making a little more sense. She was just like her, fresh out in the world and not sure what to do with herself or what she was supposed to do, and her prettily blushing cheeks and stammered attempts to say more were all Tessa needed to see and hear. It was Fela's deep bow deeply and that really threw Tessa off for a moment, pretty much silencing the assurances she'd been about to make that it was alright, that Fela didn't have to apologise or anything of the sort. Tessa tried to make her third attempt at saying something but the revelation that Fela was just as lost as she was left her speechless again, now what was she supposed to do? She'd been so happy to find someone who spoke common, someone who might have been able to help her find her way to an inn...

I knew it... I'm going to have to sleep in a doorway tonight aren't I? Some first trip this is, maybe Da was right, maybe I should never have left the caravan...

It was then that Fela said something about just walking off and seeing where they ended up, something that probably wasn't the best of plans. Tessa had learned fairly quickly that doing that had a tendency to just get her even more lost than she'd been originally. Once again she was going to say something when she saw the little grin tugging at Fela's lips and felt her arm link companionably with hers, it was either follow on with her or do something ridiculous like try and hold her back. That wouldn't exactly be a friendly thing to do, and it was always possible that Fela's sense of direction was better than hers. Plus she'd actually seen the inn, and where it was, so that meant all she had to do was walk along with Fela and be guided by her, that was simple enough. Tessa smiled in return to her new acquaintance as they set off, feeling slightly more hopeful again as the jingle of her coat's metal lining accompanied each step, there was almost a tune to it if you listened for it... hold on, shouldn't she have said something by now?

"Well if you're sure... I have to warn you that I do get lost really easily... or at least I seem to, I don't really know. Oh and it's alright, about before I mean, you really didn't have to apologise or bow or anything like that. Honestly, I was just, surprised by it. When I first saw you I figured you'd been around here for a while..." Tessa managed to stop herself blurting out the question that was poised at the tip of her tongue, the one that'd make her sound really quite pathetic. Fela had probably meant it as some sort of polite honorific, something to calm her down, it wasn't like she'd know her more than a few chimes or so, not nearly long enough to decide that someone was your friend. "...So... did you travel here alone? Or is there someone waiting for you back at the inn?" There, that was a much safer question, a nice normal and interested question. A conversation starter even, or continuer maybe. Regardless it'd give them something to talk about while they walked along with Tessa simply letting Fela lead her wherever she thought best.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Fela Meason on August 4th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Fela smiled at the nervous energy coming off Tessa, shy people really are adorable Fela thought to herself. The playful jingle of the girls's metal lining in her coat gave a rhythm of Fela's steps. Each step was almost like a move in a dance, her feet the elegant dancers swaying in time to one another as she shuffled along the street. To the outside observer I must look mad, another silent thought. She resisted the urge to skip.

After several chimes the girl spoke, Well if you're sure... I have to warn you that I do get lost really easily... or at least I seem to, I don't really know. Oh and it's alright, about before I mean, you really didn't have to apologise or bow or anything like that. Honestly, I was just, surprised by it. When I first saw you I figured you'd been around here for a while... She trailed off again as she was so fond of doing. Fela raised an eyebrow for her to continue. ...So... did you travel here alone? Or is there someone waiting for you back at the inn?

Fela's face lit up at the question. There is someone waiting for me. Her name is Salida. She is my constant companion and friend. Fela spoke words truer than any others. Their relationship had only last a few short moon cycles but they had grown incredibly close in that time, they had gone beyond the slave and master relationship to form something beautiful and new.

Fela paused in the street her mind wandering back to that warm summer day when her life changed. The market place had been fairly empty that day, the young cat thought nothing of a trip into town. It wasn't until her mother left without her, without even saying goodbye, that she knew something was wrong. Fela made a dash for after her mother but was pulled short by a tall looking man with bright blond hair and tan skin. She still remembered those words spoken to her that day,
And where do you think you are going? You're an animal and now you are my animal. Damn beast doesn't even know how to think for itself I'm sure. After that he didn't speak with her, he would speak to the staff about her and rely on them to pass on any information. He wouldn't even look at her. Fela resented that home and her mother for everything that had happened. Fela had never known a cage until that day.

The memories fresh in her mind Fela's smile faded and she stared off into the distance. Her eyes were unfocused and hazy. Fela stood like the walking dead and just stared at nothing at all.
Fela Meason
Silly little cat

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Tessa Poe on August 5th, 2011, 12:16 pm

There didn't seem to be any particular direction that Fela was leading them, but that suddenly didn't matter all that much. She had company for the walk, and nice company at that, well aside from the biting but that had just been a misunderstanding. Thinking about that she had to wonder where Fela was from, her pale skin said the north, but that was just guess work, she'd have to ask about that later. For a little while she wondered what it was like up in the North, her Da had always said it was all covered in snow with great white bears and houses made of ice. Ice houses sounded silly though, surrounding yourself with more cold things when it was already freezing couldn’t possibly work, could it?

As her thoughts went every which way they could Tessa found herself smiling, both in response to Fela's simple, yet obviously heartfelt talk of this 'Salida' and the little shuffling dance she was doing as they strolled along. She began trying to match her steps to Fela's and after a few false starts seemed to get it about right, well close enough so that they ended up meandering a bit down the street. "It must be nice, to have a friend like that I mean. Ever since I left the caravan I've just been by myself, and it's strange you know? You always knew where you were back there, and who was around, like a big extended family sort of, but now? There's just me and it's all a little... well scary I guess." Tessa found herself babbling slightly again, just talking to fill the silence as they walked, entirely missing the change in Fela's expression until the other girl halted and pulled them both to a stop.

She turned with a worried look on her face, wondering if something she'd said had offended Fela, though she couldn't see how, but it might have done, maybe. Fela seemed to be staring off into the distance, that cute smile of hers gone as her eyes looked at nothing at all. Maybe mentioning the caravan had brought up bad memories somehow? Tessa shook her head a little to clear her thoughts, it was silly to just stand here looking at the girl, if something was wrong she should try and find out what it was.
"Are you alright Fela? Did I say something that upset you? If I did I'm sorry, I really didn't mean to, and if it's something else I could try and help. I mean I don't know how much help I'd be but my Ma always said we should do our best to look out for other people and all so..." She was speaking slightly too fast, the nerves at fault once again, peering at Fela and wondering what she should do. Fela didn't look happy, that much she knew.

Acting on an impulse that barely had time to form Tessa suddenly put her arms around Fela, drawing her close and hugging her tightly, her coat flapping out and surrounding the pair of them. There was a sudden rush of warmth, even out here on these windy streets, their body heat mixing within Tessa's coat and proving to be very pleasant... but she didn't know if she was doing the right thing or not. She knew whenever she felt down or upset that a hug usually helped cheered her up at least, maybe it'd be the same for Fela. On the other hand... she was hugging someone who was pretty much a stranger, was that wierd? Did it matter? Fela was nice, and obviously upset, so she had to do something about it, and this was the only thing she could think of…
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Next