[A Secret]Silence in the Mist (Closed)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Built high in the massive branches of Taldera's bloodwood forest, The Spires is a city crafted by the peaceful and scholarly Jamoura. Considered a haven for scholars and sages Mizahar-wide, The Spires is a mecca of philosophy and science that draws people from far and wide with its promise of deeper thinking and higher reasoning.

Postby Secret on August 1st, 2011, 4:08 pm

Timestamp: Summer 83, 511 AV Morning
Who: Tiki, Wing, and Greth

An unusually thick fog was clouding up the city of Spires. It permeated everything, houses, buildings, all open space was filled. Most of your average citizens wouldn't be able to see further than a few feet in front of themselves, with extremely limited peripheral vision. The fog was in a constant state of swirl and tumble, constantly moving. Unless you had grown up in the fog of Spires, you likely wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the movements caused by the wind and those caused by creatures, Jamoura, or any other being.

There was something unsettling about this fog though. Spires typically functions like normal during these times, sounds breaking through. One can often hear scholarly conversations, birds singing, people walking on the wooden Petals. Today, though, was utter silence. Jamoura were nervous about something, staying in their homes, keeping their little ones inside. The more in tune Kelvic sought out hiding spots, to find some comfort. Individuals unfamiliar with the city likely wouldn't know anything to be different. The Hahk'shatara were even nervous, a quite unusual feat. They kept a tight watch on the borders of the Petals. The Foliage was left completely unprotected, but those with the hidden structures there could hide themselves with more ease than any others.

The silence over the fog was broken by a drifting, light mewing sound. It sounded as if a kitten were lost seeking it's mother. But the sound carried over the entirity of the city. And it wasn't the only one, many incredibly similar sounds joined in. The sounds began to lure some of the non-natives out into the open air of the petals. The Jamoura knew this sound. They instructed their children to hide further within the home, parents protecting them from harm by situating themselves between their children and the often open doors and windows. The Hahk'shatara had their weapons ready, a large collection of wood quarterstaves and batons, some preferring their own hands. The mewing grew more painful, further luring those that don't know the danger out.

OOCFeel free to join in. This is a city wide threat. After a few people join, I will do the reveal. Just post what you are doing/where you are before the sounds began. Enjoy.

Secret
Domain Storyteller of The Spires

Words: 43326
Joined roleplay: May 17th, 2011, 5:02 am
Race: Staff account
Office

[A Secret]Silence in the Mist (Open)

Postby Tiki on August 1st, 2011, 6:14 pm

Dawn was coming. It had been quite some time since the kelvic’s arrival, and as he was used to by this time all seemed well.

The light woke me up. Through the worn bark or twisted branches I know not, but it still pierced through into the previously dark, misted chamber. The lamps were out, as they should be, and their light sources slow moving inside if not utterly withdrawn under the morning fog. And thus I peered around my room once more. Perfect; everything was just as I had left it, and no other minor intrusions were to be found. The cook must have caught them, I bet, with the lure of that sweet honey. Honey, I might have some. No…too sweet for this early a time of day. I suppose I’ll get off with a lighter fruit. Oh, the melon was very good, yes, I’ll have s’more of that. ..

The kelvic’s feline eyes fluttered but a brief instant in his wake before his usual scan. And after a moment in thought he did proceed to the wash. He had left the water, and it was now cool and clean; clean enough, at least. His bare form made way to it and he went to wash up. Splash, splash, his hands and water that fell back into the bowl echoed in the low light. The thinning light glared against the liquid mirror as did his reflection. Eyes met in the plane and soon grins from each. Splash! He plunged his head in all he could and shook through his hair. Pulling out he looked back at his morphed image, still smiling in the echoing waves of droplets. After shaking himself he wiped the water from him, though his hair remained damp. He continued his morning routine of exploration, learning, and amusement with refueling. He descended the stair to the main hall of Grath’s Rest.

It was calm and quiet, which was enjoyable as always. If I had not napped the afternoon before, I might have taken this silence to greater vantage and slept in longer. Alas, there is no fun in exploring in the dark when no one is around to teach you. Well, I mean to say some teach, others are irritable or without response all together. Boring people, really, I find them to be. By the time I reached the hall, and my mind overflowing with the random observations I am so prone to distract myself with, I began to notice the smells. My mouth watered.

I met Kashal at the front as to not drive her too far from work. I think the staff and her were eating themselves. I never intruded to ask. What I did ask for, however, was for breakfast.

My words fell off a bit drowsy yet, as I was slow to fully wake as it was, “Some fruit, please. I really like the melon.” She turned on a heel so smooth; in and out, the entirely of her motion seemed to me intended Have I become so predicable? Regardless, I could tell she was in a jolly mood, as always. I think she might have even been humming.

She pranced back out and remained looking beyond me a moment. The bowl met the counter with a light tap. “Here you go,” she said, her words while quick and precise, welcoming. I gave my thanks and waited her departure. I strafed down the fruit thereafter. I left the bowl and went on my way out. Kashal would send one of her minions, as I call them, to fetch and clean up later. That was what I liked most here: everything flowed naturally and returned to its place as it does down below in the wood. And I, out the door unquestioned. Another perk to Grath’s establishment, simply pay up front and you’re set for the stay. I needed to be leaving soon though, now the Rest, but even Spires. The cold season would be coming soon, and I had a great distance to go before happenings of Windreach would even become local news. I sighed. For now I needed to worry about local discovery. I still am persistent as to reach the core of Spires, the temple of the Goddess Caiyha. I’m told she’s a pretty lady!

After the quick breakfast the kelvic did make his way out from Grath’s Rest to move to and fro between the petals. He did so in bestial form, immediately after his exit. Weaving through the layers,levels, and fog Tiki wandered the Spires as his curiosity drove him. He did so, until…

What I saw this day was of the most bizarre of my experiences, and my, I have seen a great deal of strange things in my short time. Some creatures and structures, much of Syliras, even the design that is Spires. There was the fog. It was growing thick and eerie. I cowered a bit as the sweet sounds of the birds fell silent from its coming. I glanced behind me and saw the Jamoura shifting. Their presences thinned and the city’s volume shrank to a murmur. I might have only been a few minutes from the Rest. I wished to ask someone what it was that the fog concealed, if not the fog itself which was so dreadful. It certainly was dreadful in its own, smoothing all sound and sight within its grasp. What choice did I have? There was no one about and it became increasingly clear to me that this was not an entity to be trifled with. My whiskers began to stand on end from the ensuing dread and silence and just awful feeling. In the back of my mind, I imagined this is what it felt like to be truly alone in a world. Never, even in my darkest, coldest nights, have I ever encountered such a presence without at least the humming of insects or night songs of birds. And so I turned my tail away from Grath’s Rest and planned my full retreat. Once inside I was to be sure to mention this to Kashal and inquire further what it was. I ran.

And so the little kelvic did run as fast as his legs took him and the wind beneath dared to push. Push not only him and so many others fleeing inside, but the changing fog as well. He had reached the Rest in time, for the fog had greatly thickened over the entirety of Spires. He would fulfill his small quest to learn of this fog and asked Kashal, who very well might have told him a great deal in her speech, or a whole lot of nothing. Barricaded inside Grath’s Rest, Tiki and the others prepared for whatever it was to come.
Tiki
The Curious Cat Kelvic

Words: 273835
Joined roleplay: July 3rd, 2011, 12:32 am
Blog: View Blog (1)
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Wing on August 4th, 2011, 2:02 am

Wing had her head in her book once more, a common sight for her these days. She was a passionate learner, that was for certain, and for some reason the various equations in the book she had purchased did not bore her either. Wing did not notice at first the mist that was creeping into the city, or the people who were shuffling into the buildings to escape it. She was busy studying.

The perimeter of a rectangle can be found with the following formula:

P = 2 x (l + w)

Where P is the perimeter, L is the length, and W is the width. So, if L equals 3 inches and W equals seven inches, solve for P.

The equation wasn't particularly hard. Wing had already encountered several like these before, it just required plugging in the numbers. So, two times three plus seven.. three plus seven is ten, and then times two.. that would be twenty. So the perimeter of the triangle must be twenty. After checking her work in the answer section she found that she had been correct. It wasn't nearly as exciting as the day she had first opened the book. This was still simple math, but she still didn't think she was ready to purchase a better book. There were things in the one she had that she did not yet understand. Wing wanted to keep going, but it was getting more and more difficult to read. The fog had entered her room, and was making it difficult to see.

Finally, as the fog grew thicker, Wing sighed and shut the book, leaning against the wall. Her wings flopped lazily over her shoulders and she shut her eyes, drifting off to sleep. She stayed asleep as the fog blanketed the entire city, and she did not wake until she picked up a strange sound on her keen ears. It wasn't anything she had ever heard before, and it piqued her curiosity. Wing opened her eyes and realized the fog had covered her entire room. How strange, she thought to herself as she carefully felt her way to the edge of the room. If she went any further she would fall and be caught by the nets beneath the city, not that she was worried about falling she she could fly herself. Once she found the edge she stood and peered out, but she could only see a few feet ahead of her into the nothingness. She couldn't see the petals below her, or even the stairway that led to her room.

But it wasn't the mist that was curious, it was the strange mewing. It was coming from somewhere in the city, and she wanted to find out what it was. Wing hopped off the edge, spreading her wings and gliding down. It was a route she flew every day and she didn't need to be able to see to find the petal below, though her landing was much less graceful than what she was used too. She could just barely make out a few shapes in the mist, but they were familiar enough, and Wing started to walk toward wherever the sound was drawing her too. Her eyes darted about, searching for the source, but it was so hard to see in the mist.
I want what I cannot have.. and it is agony.
Wing
Player

Words: 37851
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Greth on August 4th, 2011, 6:16 am

Crash! Thud thud! Thud thud!

Greth's eyes flickered open.

Thud thud!

He blinked. A thudding had brought him awake. What was it?

He raised himself on his elbow to take a look, and his eyes saw nothing. Panic reached out, clutching at his heart. Had he gone blind?

Calm, he told himself. Calm. He imagined the slow, deliberate actions of his elders when solving a problem. Thoughtful, not quick to act, calm and disconnected.

He lay down, trying to relax his tense muscles. He took in a breath of the cool, fresh, and damp morning air, then slowly exhaled. He inhaled and exhaled a few times, counting to ten. He closed his eyes, then opened them again.

Nothing.

“Fine,” he told himself, aloud. “I'll just listen.” Great idea. So he listened.

Nothing.

He touched his eyes; they were fine. His ears were in their rightful place. His fur and body parts—as far as he could touch—were not matted with blood. What was it then? What had happened?

Thud thud! Thud thud!

Perhaps what bothered him, apart from the lack of sight, was that everything was silent, apart from the thud-thud of something. He didn't hear anything, and yet he could hear. Where was this place that seemed strangely like his bed?

He got up and straightened, then reached out to touch the wall. It was there.

Thud thud! Thud thud!

So what was that thud-thudding?

It got on his nerves enough to get him to walk over to the sound. His foot brushed against the side of something, then something else hit him across the side of the face, and he staggered back in surprise.

Thud!

The something hit the wall beside him. With a start, he realized that would be where the door to his small house was.

The door? The door was open?

The wind blew again. The door flew passed him and slammed against its frame, then was pushed back by the momentum towards the wall. The wooden door was light enough for the slightly strong wind to push.

He took hold of the door and pushed it closed. It didn't stick. It appeared the mechanism for holding the door closed had been broken through the night.

With the fog of sleep lifting from his mind, he finally remembered: the latch had been broken last night, and he had pushed a chair against the door to keep it closed. Now, the door had toppled the chair and was swinging back and forth on its hinges.

A grin spread across his features; the grin of relief and sudden-found peace. But it didn't last long. As he was lifting the chair to push it back against the door and go back to sleep, a mewing sound reached his ears through the total silence. It reminded him of the fact that he still couldn't see much. In his excitement, he had overlooked the other problem: why couldn't he see?

Now that he looked more carefully, he could see the wall, and the door. However, he couldn't see much. From his previous lying position, he couldn't even see the ceiling, and that was what had caused the panic at first.

The foreboding “mew” still continued, teasing his ears, calling. It sounded like a kitten, but it didn't have that timid, uncertain quality to it. It unsettled him. How could it reach through the fog? Maybe it was caused by a kitten?

Driven by curiosity, he groped his way back to the corner he always put his bow and quiver in. The fog—at least that's what he thought what it was—unnerved him; he didn't feel like going out unarmed. He hadn't heard of a robbery in the Spires, but thieves were everywhere, Jamoura or not.

Slinging his bow and quiver over his back, he stepped out, then was confronted by the problem of the door being invitingly open for anyone to enter.

He went back in, and jammed the latch just that it'd stick for now, then, from outside, pulled the door closed. Satisfied, he turned and walked towards the sound that seemed to be coming from more than one direction now. He chose the one in front of him, and continued on his way.

Behind him, the door quivered uncertainly in its frame, as though not sure of whether it should stay closed, or open.
Greth
Player

Words: 15523
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 6:29 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Secret on August 4th, 2011, 2:27 pm

Tiki

Kashal watched with worried eyes as the silence washed over the city. Her and Grath were behind the bar, and a member of the Hahk'Shatara was in their with them. The fog had only been this bad one other time in all her years. She remembered that bloody day vividly. Hopefully Grath would protect her like he had then. She watched the jaguar return and she breathed a slight sigh of relief. She beckoned him behind the bar, her demeanor scared but still trying to comfort. After all, she suspected her and Grath had finally succeeded at perhaps making their family of two grow.

The Hahk'Shatara member, a young Jamoura was pacing nervously in front of the bar. He wasn't old enough to have witnessed the last time this had occurred. His large quarterstaff was unsteady in his hand, having just learned how to use it. He was a recent inductee into the order, and now had a full fledged crisis. But he would protect these people with his life.

Kashal looked at Tiki after he asked her about the fog,
"The fog itself isn't dangerous. I saw this when I was a youngling, when me and Grath were still I the nursery. There are demons hidden in the fog. None of us know what they are, where they come from, but what we do know is that they come to feed. And only arrive when the fog gets really thick."

The Hahk'Shatara member was still pacing, trying to peer through the fog, to discover the source of that hair raising sound. The mewing stopped. The silence was quite deafening, and was successfully disarming the Hahk'Shatara. He turned to the bar,
"I think they are gone. Let me find another member." He turned back toward the fog, when his eyes grew wide. A black creature was already in the air, leaping at him. But all he saw were the long fangs and claws. The claws sunk into his chest, the fangs into his shoulder and he fell backwards, crashing hard into the wood. He hadn't even noticed two more of the creatures had leapt with the first and landed completely silently on the wooden floor of Grath's Rest.

The creatures were completely silent, and had an alien look among them. They were fairly small compared to the Jamoura, about the size of a dog. But they had a feline look about them. They had a sleek, pointed feline face, crowned by two eerily milky eyes. Two large fangs protruded from their mouths, a vicious slicing edge on the outer curve, serrated on the inner curve, and about the length of a Jamoura's hand. Their skin appeared to be midnight black, but closer examination would show that they had a very fine layer of fur, glistening from the constant presence of fog. Their bodies were lean, rippling with muscles. The claws on their feet were retracted, but were quite long, and had the similar serrated inner curve as their fangs. Their lithe bodies ended in a longer than normal tail, sleek, waving as they prepared to attack. A look between the two felines led to them splitting up. One jumped on top of the bar, peering at the hidden group with it's milky white eyes, out of reach of the patrons, while the other waited on the floor for the first to flush them out. They were completely silent predators now, not so much as a snarl or hiss.

The Hahk'Shatara member was in great pain, and struggling to get the cat off of him. His quarterstaff laid next to his now useless arm, caused by the bite. He tried to get his other arm up to push the cat off, but those claws were swiping deep grooves into his chest and arms, while the fangs sank deeper.

Wing

Three of the felines spotted the Zith female. These creatures had tasted Zith flesh before. With simple nods, they split up. One climbed a nearby Bloodwood with the ease of a squirrel, and waited high above. One went behind the Zith, a soft shick, possibly heard by Wing's well tuned ears, as it's claws came out. The final one approached the Zith from behind. They knew the wings would have to go first, as a Zith always flies away. They approached silently, able to get within three feet of the woman. The one behind and the one on the tree were waiting to gauge and react to her movements. The feline approaching from the side hissed and leapt at the Zith, chest high, claws and fangs at the ready.

Greth

As Greth walked into the fog, he came across a hideous sight. There was a Jamoura, whose identity would be unrecognizable. The eyes were open, and a euphoric smile was on it's face, as it's body shook as if having seizures. As Greth got closer, he would see two of the strange felines feasting on the innards of the deceased. They looked up at him, their milky eyes holding his gaze as blood and gore dripped from their maws. One let out a low mew, bobbing it's head, as if attempting to hypnotize Greth by hiding his gaze. Two more of the creatures approached from his flanks, silent to Greth's out of sync ears. Off to the left, the fog stirred a bit and showed Greth that he was near the edge of the Petal he stood on. However, one of his silent stalkers stood between him and that open air.

Secret

Office

Postby Tiki on August 5th, 2011, 5:41 am

What an unnerving sound. The Hahk’Shatara’s body hit the floor with such a force; he felt the wood shake and heard it quake under his enormous weight. The kelvic, rather than investigating, was immediately made aware of the current standing as one jumped up and stood before him and the others. The air between them was a barrier indeed, but nothing of significance in the current and direst of situations. Honestly, what the hell. It had been so calm all this time and now hell broke loose. What a disheartening shame… So now the question was what to do next. These ghostly felines had already initiated and it seemed full well they lacked all intention of backing down. Of course, why would they when their prey were made so easy to snatch up, laying in hiding behind a bar counter? Such a multitude of things happened then, of which Grath and Kashal might have taken notice of. The distance changed a bit, the kelvic giving himself space between the wall behind him as well as the now hazardous counter before him. Thousands of hairs stood up about his body, him now looking like some savage puff ball. Claws on all fours paws were now primed to sink deep, and above all the silence was broken by the droning growl emanating from his primal muzzle.

I probably did well to not answer her, however I feel the stare of understanding I returned was not so reassuring. It all came so very quickly, but of course the speed made it all the more apparent with Kashal’s wisdom in mind. The pack must be huge…enormous…for them to have the ability to scourge this entire city, and on such rare an occasion. How very clever of them to come and go with the fog as well. These beasts are not like the savage wolves I recall in the slightest. I looked up, the air twitching about. I couldn’t help myself as the shivers ran through me and well I poofed on up. The lot of me now like a bag of sorts, once folded and empty now filled. My growl pierced the silence, and nothing more, at least not that I took notice to. And in that roar the translation might have been rough, but of a feline tongue, something like a warning “Hey!” or a scream. I cocked my head right to the beast I did and took in all I could of him. The eyes of this one…like the fog itself. I imagine he wouldn’t see too well in the light; no wonder they keep to the fog. There is no light here…damn.

The kelvic was rather steady between him and the other. The growl died down a bit to something even more unsettling. What is it about cats when they fight that they stare each other down, face to face, lowered for the pounce and snarling their loathing hisses and growls? What is it that all of this is done before the bitter silence between them, followed by the shift and leap, claw and tooth striking to maim, the rolling and tumbling, and that awful shriek of a meow and hiss? It very well might be the next to come if the more sentient part of him does not take hold, the kelvic that is.

I stopped and stared into those eyes. Nothing, absolutely nothing could be drawn from it. There was no shift in form, or silly grin with which humans give themselves away with. Nor did he snarl like the wolves. Perhaps he was sure of himself. Sure of himself, such a tiny little bugger? I should do well to both Grath and Kashal to rake his face and break his neck; a finer pelt for their home, a ward that should another of ghostly devils ever step foot through the threshold of this establishment that they shall know pain and death. The jagged cutting of my claw round and down the stomach will teach them well. My ears should be enough and a little leg. Ah what an awful noise of that poor Jamoura, I should not bare it much longer. Or perhaps as with the lynx… I moaned once more to them, perhaps I could reason with this feline foe, or friend…that still remained uncertain.

“What is it you want?!” I was sure my meaning came off vicious, fierce, and true, as my mother once had done. She would move mountains with such a demeanor if she meant to, I swear. I held my growl a bit longer. Maybe he would run. If he were to run I could help the guard. Gah, if only I could speak well with Grath now! We could be formulating our own means of attack against these villainous abominations.

The kelvic did hiss once more awaiting an answer. His stance lightened, seemingly… He made a bit more spawn between himself and the floor, and his ears came forward a smidge. He meant well to spare all he could, but if it were to become worse he need only bite for the throat. The scents were enough now to set him off. There was the one on the counter, and the others behind. It remained uncertain if one of the later remained in the Hahk’Shatar’s presence though. Let the invader speak his peace or refusal, if not blood to be spilled. Then again, by what means should Tiki let some roaming pack leave in peace after such an insult?
Tiki
The Curious Cat Kelvic

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Wing on August 6th, 2011, 1:38 am

The fog was to thick to see more than a few feet, and even those objects were blurry. Wing was not very familiar with fog in general, but it wasn't something she had never experienced either. Simply put, she had never seen fog as thick as what she now saw. But it was the mewing that drew her out into the open. Something in the back of the Zith's mind told her it was wrong, that the mewing was bad. Where were all the Jamoura? Shouldn't people still be going about there business? At least a few people? But Wing was alone, as far as she could tell. And then all went silent.

Something's not right. Silence was never good. Not even the birds were singing. Absolute silence was always a prelude to danger, a fact that any creature of the wilds was intimately familiar with. It was the calm before the storm, the hush before the attack. ...I am being hunted. Wing flexed her fingers, her claws damp from the fog. A 'shick' from behind caused Wing to stop in her tracks. That's one. Her ears strained to pick up the slightest sound, a hint of what was to come, but still there was only silence.

A hiss to her side, it was a mistake. A person would have remained silent, but whatever the creature was, it gave itself away. Wing turned as the creature leaped, and it was only because it had given itself away that she was able to react as she did. Wing dropped to the ground as the feline beast passed over her, and just as quickly she scrambled back to her feet and turned to face it. That's two, but where is the first? Wing watched the creature, but she also watched the spot which had formerly been behind her.

A threatening hiss escaped her own lips, but there was more to it than that. Wing was not a warrior, far from it, but that did not mean she did not have her own tricks. In a social situation she was hesitant to use her power, knowing that of discovered it could only end badly. But when it came to fighting for her life, she used everything she had. The hiss was empowered with djed, as she used it to elicit an emotional response in the beast. It was a basic technique, though not the most basic, but often it was effective. The response? Fear. And that was not her only trick. A good hypnotist never used just one trick.

Djed rippled around her sphere of influence as she expanded it to affect the creatures. All over her body were simple hypnotic suggestions. Her arms were out to her sides, claws rigid. They almost spoke aloud, as if to say I am dangerous. Her eyes spoke too, Don't attack me. Wing bared her teeth as she hissed and even they suggested, You would taste so good. Could Wing honor any of the threats? She didn't know. But neither did the beast, or at least she hoped. If the other cat showed itself she would direct the same power at it, hoping to scare the creatures into backing off.

Wing did not attack, but rather waited. Simple looks and sounds were far more deadly than her claws, and the competent hypnotist knew she was better off scaring the beasts away than initiating a fight. If they did attack, however, she would be forced to fight back. Wing would try to dodge, and if she had to she would try to fly. But the beasts were quick and she didn't want to risk them leaping at her as she took off. And she still had other tricks, more taxing but also more powerful, that she could call upon.
I want what I cannot have.. and it is agony.
Wing
Player

Words: 37851
Joined roleplay: March 19th, 2010, 11:18 pm
Race: Zith
Character sheet

Postby Greth on August 6th, 2011, 10:43 am

Greth's first reaction to the sight of a lone, apparently shaking figure in the fog was the quickening of his steps. He faltered, however, when he got close enough to see what was really happening. As the mewing issued from one of the creatures' mouth, he knew he'd be next if he just watched. And he knew, after all, that it was no kitten calling for her mother; it was something far, far worse and dangerous.

He stepped back in fright, instinctively masking his scent, his quivering hands discretely reaching to his back to get his bow and an arrow, his gaze trained on the two to see if his actions were being noticed. In truth, his archery was not that good. The best he could do was to hide, but he didn't know of these creatures' abilities; could they see in the fog? Could they hear him? Could they smell him?

They probably didn't only operate on their sense of smell, since the Jamoura would have tried to lose them that way. A pang of sadness briefly hit him, but he tried to shake it off, concentrating instead on his predicament.

As he cast a frightful glance to the sides, he saw a brief shift in the fog, as though there was more open air beneath him. Briefly, he remembered his second day in the Spires; the Jamoura chasing him to tear off his clothes, and he jumping off a petal to land on the one below.

As these thoughts raced through his head in the space of a second, an idea seemed to be forming: he would just run to the left, jump down, and hide near a tree to camouflage himself. That was his best chance, and a way to gauge the skills these creatures had. Quickly, he wielded his bow and knocked an arrow onto it. He wouldn't be able to shoot in the same movement – not yet. However, if these creatures just held on for long enough, he might be able to get out of this alive. So much for his dreams of protecting the Spires.

As the “fleeing” idea was completed in his mind, he suddenly turned to the left, and ran, bow in hand and drawn taught, just as taught as his jangling nerves were. He was, however, unaware of the predator in his path.
Greth
Player

Words: 15523
Joined roleplay: May 31st, 2011, 6:29 pm
Race: Jamoura
Character sheet

Postby Secret on August 6th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Tiki
The demon like feline on the counter was slightly surprised that another cat had challenged it. It was slightly amused, after all, it was lined up to possibly lead the family soon, being one of the stronger of it'd kind. It watched the bigger cat puff it's fur, it's claws ready, and a growl come forth. The cat found this growl pathetic at best, not much of a challenger.

It heard it's feeble reasoning. Was it not obvious? It was rare when prey didn't know that it was lower on the food chain. "Food," it hissed out. The voice of this feline was unlike any other type in existence. Tiki could feel the menace permeate his very being, fear building in his bones. The feline hissed at it's nonfeasting companion, to watch the Jamoura. This challenger would be his glory, and his alone. He slowly backed up, but not backing down, hissing all the while, a hiss insinuating that it would be just the two of them. He backed into the small open space in the dining area. Two small drops of liquid slid down the two long prodtruding fangs on the male feline, coating the serrated edges. The liquid had a slight pinkish hue to it. The feline readied itself for combat, it's claws on it's paws protruding further than Tiki's. It looked at Tiki, it's seemingly dead, cloudy eyes, filling him with foreboding. It unleashed a snarl so loud, so fierce, all others of it's type would recognize him and the battle he was about to do. Grath and Kashal were shivering in fear, the Hahk'Shatara member, dead now, a lucid smile on his face as he was ravaged by the third cat.

Wing
The feline that soared through the open space where Wing once was, was the younger of the trio. It turned to face it's prey. It shook off the hiss from the Zith, after all, it had heard much worse from it's own kind. However, it's cloudy, milky eyes took in the sight before him. This Zith was not just a prey, she was a predator as well. The creature was reminded of the time it had foolishly challenged it's leader for rights to the females. His hiss, his aggressiveness, his dominance had filled him with fear. While the feline's eyes couldn't betray him, his body clearly showed him to be fearful and uncertain now.

That was not the case for the feline that had been behind Wing. It was the Alpha of it's large family. It fought and defeated challengers to the throne daily. It knew no fear, knew no predators. It was the largest of all the felines invading the town, more akin to cougar sized than bobcat like the rest. The Zith's tricks were noticed by the Alpha, but years of intimidating, hunting, dominating, allowed it shrug it off. It doubted any of the other lesser males would be able to accomplish such a feat, but that was the reason it reigned supreme. It snarled loud and fierce, a feat it had grown accustomed to, driving off challengers more often than not. It knew it's companion on the tree would not move unless the Zith took to air. It's younger companion though, would be useless until the Alpha showed it could dominate this Zith.

It heard the snarl of one of its own a ways off and knew it had found a challenger as well. The attack was going well. Many of them would feast this day. The Alpha snarled once more and began to circle the Zith, waiting. The Zith may not notice but each step the cat took, drew it a minuscule hair closer, though it would be very hard to see. A few rounds of this, it lunged, a few pink droplets falling from it's two serrated fangs. It's claws were aimed for the ribs of the creature, it's fangs waiting for an arm.

Greth
The feline that had been feasting, returned to it's meal, it's cloudy eyes locked onto Greth. It watched as he drew some sort of object and readied it. Then he turned and bolted. The two companions that had been sneaking up on him took after him. The one he turned toward, was ready. It slashed across his right thigh with it's large claws. The claws didn't sink deep enough to cripple or kill, but it would slow him down and put him in pain. And a Jamoura can't cover the scent of their fallen blood.

Greth fell from this blow, off the Petal. But not onto another. He fell into one of the many Slugsuckle Vine nets the city kept for travelers who fell. The vines held his massive weight but his bow slipped through and fell into the Foliage. Easy to find if he could get to it.

The cats were not happy at this, but were adapting. The two split up whirl the third watched Greth from above. The two climbed down the trees supporting the nets, both on opposite side of Greth's locations. Their speed and nimbleness with tree climbing outmatched any Jamoura. When they stepped onto the net though, confidence was lost. There were many holes for their feet to step into so balance was awkward at best. The two slowly closed in on the Jamoura meal.
Secret

Office

Postby Tiki on August 6th, 2011, 8:03 pm

What is it humans are told as children when they go to toy with the animals, and in turn the animal lashes back? The child cries in pain, now in fear of the creature, and still the parents will tell them the animal is more afraid of you than you are of it. The fact remains incredible that despite the apparent fear the parent claims to see that the animal will fight back with all its might. Why should a kelvic be so much different? The beast that was Tiki now stood pinned in his home, his own territory, backed against a wall to some sinister and vengeful cousin of his kind. The black cat bared his fangs, so did the jaguar, the black cat bared his claws, and so did the jaguar. May nature’s blessing upon the world take its course in one quarrel to the next, but not forget this one of all.

I had few thoughts at that moment. My need to keep track of things diminished with that vile hiss, and I saw the others back down. The others merely stood watch, the lot of them, feline to Jamoura and vice versa. Damn Grath if you’d just grab hold of it you could crush its very skull and roar to the high heavens. Imagine the spark; all of Spires could so easily be liberated. Or could it? I was so foolish to forget about the outside. The goose bumps subsided and I became calm once again. From the looks of his teeth I imagine he bit like a snake. That drip said so much now, it all made sense, well some sort of it. They must be rather weak to hide in the fog, step silently through and pounce on the unsuspecting. The Hahk’Shatar fell swiftly from the bite. I must be careful. It all crumbled in an instant. I ceased to hiss, and I think he did to. My sight focused on his neck, and there I would go. To take him from the back would ensure my victory. I let go of my fear and allowed instinct’s adrenaline retake me.

Claw and tooth were bound to meet the flesh of the other, the question remained as to which would do his worse in the least time. As per his reasoning, to get behind would ensure victory, or even defeat. it seemed foolish even to charge this one with the others standing by with only a hiss to trust in. If it was the fittest who would survive, then proclaim Tiki the victory for his greater size, and youthful agility. Let his mind, though distracted, find reasoning in motion and strike true.

Tiki sprinted in his short distance and leapt up to meet his opponent from the side. He, given the chance, would shift to a human form and grab hold of an ear, and soon the other, then move to the neck or arms and latch himself to the cat only to shift back, dig in with his claws, and break the mongrel’s neck between his teeth. Should he miss, maybe he got away unscathed to the other side of the bar, reface his foe, and reposition for the next strike. Or worse, should the other have caught hold of Tiki, may Caihya give him strength to fend the best away and keep those teeth above all far away from him!
Last edited by Tiki on April 8th, 2012, 5:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tiki
The Curious Cat Kelvic

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next