(Flashback) Fire and Fangs (Nida)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Encompassing a vast wilderness filled with flora and fauna of immense proportions, the Northern Reaches include all the Talderian Forest north of the Suvan and stretch into the vast permanent tundra and ice fields outside Avanthal.

Postby Cara on August 1st, 2011, 5:54 pm

Fall 27, 510 AV

Cara was walking through the wastes, dragging a long, slender stalk of light green bamboo behind her, leaving a slender line beside her footprints. "Come along you little rascal," Cara called over her shoulder as she kept on walking to some unknown destination. It had been awhile since she walked, since her companion had gotten out of the Hold, with all of the harsh weather they had been forced to endure of late. Snow and hail storms non-stop for days. But now, things were clearing up, the sun being high in the sky, causing the newly-fallen blanket of white beneath the girl's feet to glisten. If she listened, ignoring the whistling of the wind that rustled the long fabric of her cloak, Cara could hear the muffled steps of her companion. How the red panda would drag itself through the snow, erasing the line the bamboo had made, only to make it wider. At times, sniffing the ground with its nose, its whiskers twitching, as though trying to discern just what it was that it was treading upon. Did they not get snow in Lhavit? Cara wondered, as her friend caught up to the bamboo, and took a bite off the edge, taking an excessively long time to chew, smacking his lips as he did so and spilling some of his treat into the snow.

Cara couldn't hear the creature walking alongside her anymore as she continued deeper and deeper into the wastes. Instantly, she stopped dead in her tracks, and turned her head so that she may peer over her shoulder. The fabric of her hood twisting as she moved. The red panda had indeed stopped, and was gnawing angrily at the bamboo. Cara's eyes sparkled a playful violet as her lips curled into a small smile. "Well it looks like you're enjoying that," she mused, as she took a few steps backwards, and towards her little friend. Gingerly, she plucked him from the ground, pressing his damp paws into her chest as she cradled him in her arms, the bamboo stalk dangling just below him, out of reach. Little Rascal peered up at the Vantha, as though wondering why his quiet walk was disturbed. "You need to keep up love," was all the girl replied as she continued into the cold.
Not taking on new threads until further notice.
Cara
Darkness Binds Us

Words: 208479
Joined roleplay: March 14th, 2011, 8:16 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nidassasyae on September 1st, 2011, 11:11 am

OOCYou can slap me for the delay if you want :(

Nida sighed in relief, throwing her arms out and spinning in circles until she was too dizzy to stay upright. There were no walls here, no loud voices. Nothing that hinted at the many alien things of civilizations. She wanted to sing, she wanted to scream.

She wanted to cry.

Everything about her new life was too strange. Meeting Vantha, seeing a city... learning social ettiquete... it was all too foreign for her to process. But out in the wastes, there was nothing to confuse her. Everything here was familiar and homey.

Except for the melodic voice that drifted over the snow.

Nida instantly dropped into a defensive crouch, her teeth bared and her eyes searching desperately around her. A threat? Perhaps... No, she could see the silhouette of a woman walking in the snow. And, there was something else. A tiny shadow that followed slowly behind the stranger, occasionally stopping for some unknown reason.

All of her suspicion instantly washed away, replaced by a burning curiosity. What was that thing? An animal? Its shape was quite unlike any animal she'd seen before. But why would a the animal be following behind a human? Was it another Kelvic?

Nida's eyes suddenly lit up. Another of her kind? She'd only ever met a sparrow Kelvic, who was much too scared to carry any sort of conversation. The young girl set a fast pace towards the stranger, her short legs blurring as she walked as fast as possible.

"Hellooooo?" she called out, waving her hands. This was just so exciting! Who was this strange woman? And what was this animal? She was just too interested to know what was going on!

Obviously the young leopard kelvic had never heard the expression "Curiosity killed the cat".
Nidassasyae
Crazy Cat Lady

Words: 222053
Joined roleplay: October 12th, 2010, 12:30 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Artist (1) Power Fork (2)
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Cara on September 1st, 2011, 9:18 pm

When Cara heard another's voice, she looked up from her companion to face Nida, "hello," she called back simply, surprised to see a girl with such an odd appearance- a tangled mane of blue-black hair, icy blue eyes, and such a short stature that Cara supposed she was little more than a girl. Now what would someone like that be doing out here in this bloody mess? Cara wondered, as she followed the footsteps Nida had made in the snow with her eyes. And why would they be running up to us of all things? For surely if she knew better, she'd be running from us, terrified of the flames we may light under her feet, simply so she would flee a little faster; so that we may be rid of her presence.

Little Rascal stared up at his mistress, his tiny black nose only an inch from Cara's chin. It was twitching ever so slightly, as though trying to pick up on the scent of the newcomer; just to see if he actually knew her. Once he realized that he did not, he began to place her appearance and her scent within his memory for later use, so that he may understand how to approach Nida in the future. Rascal's eyes, on the other hand, seemed to plead his mistress for some sort of explanation as to why their quiet walk had been disturbed. Of course, Cara had no explanation to supply him with.

As Nida got closer to each of them, Cara adjusted her hold on Rascal, ever so slightly, pressing him more tightly to her chest. Not out of fear that the girl was dangerous or would try to steal him from her, but more out of fear that she would try to pet him, and do so too forcefully, or pull on his tail or something. Those that were obviously not Frostfawns could not be trusted with the care of animals, after all.

As she waited, Cara's eyes took on a ruby-red edge, denoting a small sense of her rising level of irritation. "What are you doing out in the wastes?" Cara growled. "Trying to get yourself killed? Do you even have a weapon on you? Something to protect yourself from the dire creatures that walk freely through the snow? Creatures that would be more than happy to catch you in their claws and bring you back to their dens for dinner?" she continued, her eyes being overcome by ruby red pigmentation. She was not only frustrated by the girl's appearance, but by her apparent inability to plan ahead as well.

OOCIt's ok, and sorry this is a little blah... and kind of irritating. Cara is always cranky you see.
Cara
Darkness Binds Us

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nidassasyae on September 5th, 2011, 1:14 pm

OOCNot at all, I love Cara's crankiness! :D

As Nida neared the stranger, her sharp eyes picked out more details of both the Vantha and the animal. The human was beautiful, but cold looking, staring down at Nida as if she were little more than a cub. Which wasn't far from the truth. But the creature... that animal the stranger held carefully in her arms... Nida had never seen anything like it. She was so curious about it! Where did it come from? Why did it look like that? Did it taste nice? Even as it's nostrils flared as he memorized Nida's scent, so did Nida's.

Unlike a child's curiosity, Nida had no intention of petting the strange animal. Humans liked to do that, to pat animals and cuddle them. Animals themselves... didn't.

"I'm walking!" laughed Nida, as if this were the most reasonable answer in all of Mizahar. "A weapon? Oh... Nope, I left mine back in Avanthal. Did you bring one? Do all humans bring weapons around? What's that animal you're carrying? I've never seen one before!" The questions left her lips as easily as breathing. Cubs were curious, after all. It wouldn't occur to her how annoying this would be, especially to a person like Cara.

"I'm Nida by the way. What's your name?"

OOCSorry this is so yucky, I'm still tryna get used to posting as a happy Nida once again.
Nidassasyae
Crazy Cat Lady

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Cara on September 5th, 2011, 11:25 pm

Cara lifted a single brow into a high arch, forcing it to take on a shape similar to an archer's bow. Of all the things she could say, she comes up with that? A series of stupid questions spoken in such a rush that it's surprising anyone understood them? For surely they flow that way too, in her mind's eye, the Vantha thought as her irises were overcome by a deep, ruby red pigmentation. It seemed as though she had far too much to drink, or rather, too much anger had seeped through her skin, to her very bone.

Cara cast her penetrating gaze on the girl, running up and down her slight form, over and over again, from the tips of her toes, to the top of her head. May one of Morwen's creatures take her from here, and teach her a lesson, Cara thought, as she prepared herself for another onslaught of questions. As she braced herself, knowing that if she did not humor the child's curiosity, it may only get worse. Unless of course, she lit a fire under foot, and forced the girl to run. But that would be difficult, unless she let the red panda down.

"Obviously you're out here walking child," Cara began, her voice cold. "But that does not answer the simple question of what you are doing here. After all, if it was a simple walk you truly wanted, you could do that just as well within the city walls, as you could out here. Could you not? Except there, you would be safe. Guarded by Morwen's polar bear Kelvics, and their riders." There was a slight pause, "you apparently, have not taken the time to consider that. Or the dire need to carry a weapon on your person if you are foolish enough to venture into the wastes; alone."

"But then again, who could expect you to? You're little more than a child," Cara spat, not truly knowing what to do, and finding it all the more frustrating to be in such a situation. "Don't your parents bother to watch over you?" Cara asked, "or have they grown so sick of your stupidity, your ignorance, that they have given up on you altogether?" she asked, before pausing a moment, considering how to go on. There was no need for her to carry a weapon, after all, since she held a powerful magic at her fingertips. "I carry nothing but my companion, for I am a weapon," Cara explained, as she pushed Rascal's body up a little, so that the girl knew she was speaking of him. "He is a red panda by the name of Little Rascal. We met in Lhavit, the Misty Peaks, some time ago now."

After that, the Vantha grew silent again for a few moments. "Cara Frostfawn," she growled, as she pet her companion, right in-between its ears.

OOCShe's like Dr. Evil, but cooler since she has a red panda as opposed to a hairless cat...

And it's quite alright Nida, not to worry.
Cara
Darkness Binds Us

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nidassasyae on September 6th, 2011, 9:18 am

Nida bowed her head, trying to look properly ashamed. She recognized the tone of Cara's voice, it was the same cold and frustrated tone that her mother would use. The Kelvic was used to scoldings, and simply tried to look repentant. But she really didn't understand what Cara was saying. Sure, the words were familiar, but their meaning was beyond her. Why would she want to walk in the city? Why was it wrong to walk out here? Obviously one didn't ask questions in the middle of a scolding, so she kept her mouth firmly shut.

At the mention of Nida's parents, the Kelvic stopped her ashamed charade altogether. She narrowed her eyes and shot Cara a baleful look, her lips curling back slightly to reveal long and sharp fangs. And still she waited, her body frozen in that position until Cara would stop speaking. Nida was - before anything else - a wild animal. Though she may play and stumble around on two legs, there was still that instinctual part her that demanded she defend herself and her family. The part of her that would, one day, hold only a Bondmate.

"Hello, Little Rascal," nodded Nida respectfully, before turning her gaze back to Cara.

"I walk because your stinking city's walls are too high, human. I walk because there is barely air to breeze there, among your kin and your pet bears. I walk because I have no where to go, because you humans took my family and my home from me. My stupidity, my ignorance, have kept me alive out in the wastes, while you oh so smart humans stay in your comfortable cities," Her voice changed from that of curious child to a rough and sandpapery one, and her blue irises of her slitted eyes grew until there was absolutely no more white showing.

"It's almost funny. How you Frostfawns are. You're all so obsessed with animals, almost as if you wish you could be one yourselves. And yet, you haven't even the slightest clue about how to talk to your own kind. You thought me a human child, and you stand here frustrated at me even as you cuddle with a panda. It makes me wonder how your race multiplies at such an alarming rate, if you can't even be nice to your children."

"It's interesting to meet you humans. You're so concerned with your own ideas that you have no idea how silly they sound to others. I've learned much, even from you, Cara Frostfawn. But all the same, I do wish I'd kept thinking humans only existed in fairy tales. I wish your kind had the decency not to sell others as slaves." Her irises began to shrink back down again as Nida got control over herself. "Why are you walking, Cara Frostfawn?"
Nidassasyae
Crazy Cat Lady

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Cara on September 6th, 2011, 11:27 pm

Cara smiled at the sight of the girl's sharp pointy teeth. So she isn't a human after all, the Vantha thought as her eyes lost some of their red pigmentation to a deep, sapphire blue one. And with teeth like that, it's unlikely that she'd be anything other than a Kelvic. "Well Nida, if you're not human, and not one of Morwen's bears, the companions to the Vantha people, than what are you?" Cara asked. "What sort of beast resides under that mane of hair? Something wild, something feisty, not easily tamed I'd imagine." There was a slight pause, "which is probably for the best. Animals aren't meant to be tamed. Their hearts are meant to be wild. It's quite the pity that some of them are more than willing to play the part of people's pets, as opposed to their companion, their friend."

Cara fell silent for a long time as she considered the rest of what Nida had told her. "The Frostfawn are not obsessed with animals," Cara explained, simply. "They merely respect them, wish to co-exist as peacefully as possible among them. Obviously, such a thing cannot be said for all of mankind. There are some, as you said, who would sell your kind into slavery. But a Frostfawn recognizes that such a thing is cruel. They know that animals do not belong in chains, and I'm sure, that if any of them ever met the idiot who sold your parents, they'd sell him or her, into slavery. Just so he knows how it feels."

With that, Cara put her companion down on the ground, letting it wind its tiny frame around her feet. "We walk because we needed some fresh air, a place to practice what we know in peace," Cara replied as she stared at the girl. Her irises appeared nothing more than a sapphire blue now, although a faint white light twinkled around the edges, the reflection of the snow that surrounded her in every which direction. She bent down, a little closer to the girl, as she cautiously extended her right hand, so that she could hold it, lightly over the girl's heart. Feel it beating beneath her flesh. "It's still wild, you know, your heart," Cara whispered as she stared at her own hand. "Don't let anyone put that fire out. It would not serve you well," she finished simply, returning her body to a slightly more natural state as she glanced along the terrain for a moment, her gaze far off.

"Do you hear that?" Cara asked, not sure of what to make of the sound.

OOCBah, this is so blah.
Cara
Darkness Binds Us

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nidassasyae on September 7th, 2011, 1:40 pm

"I am a Leopard. A Snow Leopard, I guess I should say," the Kelvic responded, more than a bit confused at the sudden change in Cara's tone. The moment the Vantha realized she wasn't dealing with a human child, she'd suddenly become softer in her movements somehow... more understanding. How did a human empathize with more animals than she did with her own kind? "They're not animals anymore, once they're tamed," she muttered under her breath, which Cara could surely hear at such a close distance. "They're something not quite right, something in between."

Nida's brow creased hopefully at Cara's words about humankind. She knew there were bad humans, and there were kind ones like those in Avanthal. But it was too hard to make that distinction to her. Wolves and bears were dangerous, rabbits were not, but humans couldn't be grouped together like that. Why was everything about two-leggers just so complex? How was she supposed to know which ones to be cautious of, and which ones were trustworthy?

The Kelvic watched warily as Cara set Little Rascal down, noting the color change in her eyes. She'd not yet realized that they changed according to mood rather than a random occurrence, but they did seem a lot less frustrated. Nida's frail body ceased all movement, tensing as Cara held her hand above the Kelvic's heart. Was this how prey felt? Utterly confused and more than a little frightened by what was happening? Nida's concept of personal space was a vast stretch of the lonely Talderan wastes. Cara's one movement violated all of that... and yet, there was something so comforting about it. As if she was an elder sister who was trying to teach her something.

"There is more to you than you choose to show, Cara Frostfawn," Nida murmured, "Perhaps you are wild-hearted too. But the humans don't want to see that kind of thing, do they? They like to squash so many of your kind into a docile compliance, just as my kind are only too happy to become pets. But you're nobody's pet."

As Cara's body straightened, Nida's head abruptly jerked towards the source of the sound. She sniffed the air experimentally, her eyes widening as she looked towards Cara, to Little Rascal winding about the Vantha's feet, and back towards the distant Avanthal.

"Yes, I hear them. And I smell them. Wolves," Her irises began to grow again, and she furiously pulled her clothing off and tossed it aside. Her body began to dissolve into thousands of little twinkling lights, each busily buzzing about to shape her into a new form. Before she was completely covered in the tiny points of light, one growl escaped her mouth.

"RUN!"

OOCMaking my own contribution of blah posting D:
Nidassasyae
Crazy Cat Lady

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Cara on September 7th, 2011, 8:03 pm

"Humans expect to see a wild heart in the young. People who have not yet been taught to abandon their nature so as to appear more respectable; civil," Cara explained, before pausing a moment. "And although they expect it from the young; they don't ever want to see it in those they deem old. The ones who are supposed to be wise, to know better than to disobey society's rules," Cara finished in a hurry as she watched Nida tossing off her clothes and preparing to shift.

"What do you mean there's more than one?" Cara growled as she plucked Rascal off the ground and tucked him under her left arm. As soon as she held him firmly in her grasp, Cara began running, knowing that if Nida were wise, she would be running after her and away from the wolves. Cara's heart was pounding in her tiny rib cage, as her breath caught in her throat. The cool air causing her neck to sting, and her mouth to grow dry as she moved. Her irises had taken on several bright yellow flecks, so they now appeared as the sun reflecting off a deep blue sea.

If Morwen helps us out of this mess, Cara thought, I will never miss another day of prayer to her. Cara forced her legs to move faster, kicking up piles of snow in her stead. She could hear the snarling of the wolves now, the pounding of their paws against the snow. She knew that if she didn't try something, they'd be upon her soon, for she could barely catch her breath, and her muscles felt tight. As though they already, lacked the will to keep carrying her on. Silently, she cursed herself for not working out more as she took a deep breath in through her nose, and out through her mouth.

As she ran, Cara began to concentrate on her djed. Feeling it gather in the pit of her stomach; sending what felt like warm, tiny wisps of smoke whirling wildly around her chest. She imagined a flame being lit beneath the smoke, forcing it to rise higher and higher, towards her neck. She could feel it billowing out from her neck and into her arms, her hands. She could feel it rising to the top of her head just as it reached the tips of her fingers. They were beginning to feel as though she had just burnt them on a hot stove, by the time a light blue mist began to rise out of her fingertips; her res. The mist swirled around the top of her palm, until it formed a small sphere, which hovered a few inches above her flesh, waiting to be put into good use.

Slowly, Cara ignited the center of the orb. It glowed a pale orange color, making the snow she ran past shimmer in its pale light. Now, we just have to figure out when to throw this thing, and how best to aim, since coming to a complete stop in order to do so would be suicide, the young sorceress thought as she searched the inner reaches of her mind for ideas. Perhaps if the Kelvic did something to distract them, she would have enough time to throw a fireball at the beasts. Or she could simply go on hoping that the wolves didn't catch up until one of the polar bears could come along and murder them all.

OOCSorry this is blah but semi-fast paced. Figured it'd go well with the whole "petch, run for your life!" scene.
Cara
Darkness Binds Us

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nidassasyae on November 5th, 2011, 3:26 am

Nida could hear the thunderous beat of the wolves’ paws on the snowy ground. They kicked up clumps of snow with their hind legs, sending a sending a small white cloud behind them. She increased the tempo of the drumming of her own feet, easily sprinting atop the snow drifts with her wide and specialized paws, while the wolves sloughed through. At this rate, she would pass Cara in a matter of moments. She could leave Cara and Little Rascal to die, and make a decent escape.

But Nida wouldn’t leave the Vantha behind.

The Kelvic watched in amazement as a ball of fire coalesced in Cara’s hand. She blinked, not knowing what to make of it. Magic! This was no illusion, for she could hear the crackling hunger of the fire as it hovered gently above the Vantha’s palm. Fire was good, for it provokes a deep instinctual fear within any animal. Fire is the domain of man. Now Nida knew why Cara dared walk alone out here.

But the Vantha would never have enough time to throw the fiery orb at the three wolves. If she stopped suddenly and managed to take one of them, the other two would be upon her in moments. Cara needed a distraction, one which Nida could provide. Though only a cub, the Dire Leopard was barely smaller than the normal wolves, though less muscled and experienced with true combat. If Nida could take one down, it would have to be by surprise.

The Kelvic suddenly pivoted, spinning about to face the wolves, and threw her body into a long leap. This is what she was built for, leaping at her enemies and taking them by surprise. Of course, it would have been more convenient to have been able to hide and ambush her prey from above, but beggars can’t be choosers.

The leopard hit the ground right beside one of the wolves, and it snarled and snapped at her in surprise. Why would its prey come closer to it? For a moment, it hesitated, not knowing what to make of this strange occurrence. That moment was all Nida needed. She sank her teeth deep into the wolf’s neck and twisted her head to the side. A dry snap echoed over the snow. The wolf sank in her grip, and she let it go immediately. One down, two to go. She’d have to remember this spot, if she survived, for the dead wolf would make a nice meal. Her momentary exultation at the kill faded as she realized the other two wolves were circling her.

The feline twisted and dodged around the wolves as they tried to converge on her, and she felt the snap of jaws a hair’s breadth away from her hind legs. She ran, and they gave chase, filling the air with their pants and growls of frustration and hunger. Of the two, the smaller one overtook his companion, keeping his place by Nida’s heels. Cara, if there ever was a moment to use that fire, it’s now! Nida thought, knowing full well that she couldn’t communicate that to the Vantha in this form. She tried settling for some meaningful glares, but who knew if humans were smart enough to understand?

The biggest wolf lagged behind. The alpha, he was monstrously huge for a normal wolf, but obviously hadn’t had the luck of acquiring the Dire gene. His body was covered in scars and matted fur, and his eyes were glazed with bloodlust. He came gently towards them, as though toying with the two females, and stayed far out of the reach of Cara’s orb of fire. He’d let the younger, unproven wolf that was currently chasing Nida take the hit.

Nida ran furiously, trying to put as much distance between her and her pursuer as possible. Recalling the frozen lake and trees that were just up ahead from one of her earlier hunting excursions, she made for that. Hopefully Cara would follow. They’d have greater advantage there, and if need be, Cara could climb a tree to safety.

Nidassasyae
Crazy Cat Lady

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Trash Medal (1)

Next