Endrykas City Map

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This is the first step to starting a lore article. Please hold all conversations about lores here in this forum. No development takes place here ie Article posting. This forum is simply for threads that want to hash out what a lore should or shouldn't include as well as its merits and flaws. One can also gauge interest in new lore here as well. Polls are encouraged.

Moderator: Scribes

Endrykas City Map

Postby Tundris on January 31st, 2010, 6:32 am

Pieced together this map and wanted the opinion of you all.

I considered making distinguishable military tents and I am wondering about how the Drykas obtain and store water. They wouldn't have a well so perhaps in barrels? If anyone has any ideas of locations on the map that should be shown let me know!

Endrykas Map
Tundris
Mother Drykas

Words: 59440
Joined roleplay: December 13th, 2009, 10:30 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Trailblazer (1)

Re: Endrykas City Map

Postby Gossamer on January 31st, 2010, 6:56 am

I think the map looks very lovely. It's very nicely done, especially the center. I like the barrel idea for water, and I imagine they have plenty of reimancers that can create water as well. I imagine they'd burn animal dung for firewood rather than wood as well, since there aren't many trees. Maybe the fires are another good use reimancers are put too.

The only suggestion I'd have would be a distinctive 'wall' of sorts (even if its an invisible one), like maybe a line of staves that can be driven into the ground that denote the boundaries of the city (maybe each group has a few or just one per pavilion that the ankals maintain and carry as status) that they create a big web around the city to keep predators out and roaming kids in? This staff fence could constantly be changing according to who's in Endrykas and who's away... so each person in the city (or at least each pavilion) is responsible for their 'share' of protecting the city. Remember, each Ankal is supposed to be competent or working towards it in Webbing to hold that position.

I've wrote into the webbing writeup that anchors can be a great distance away, so maybe you just need seven anchors or staves, one for each clan, and perhaps the clans tend to group around their own clan staff with the main clan pavilions still grouped in the middle in the circle. I love that circle and center fire.

I will get webbing up soon. I have been busy with Syliras myself lately.
BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideSyka
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 6356204
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 11
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Master (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)

Postby Alice on January 31st, 2010, 5:53 pm

Looks beautiful, especially the clan circle, like Jen already mentioned. :)

However ... should the spaces between the groups of tents really be so big? I imagine a city to be a bit 'cramped', so that people are connected and forced to have contact with their neighbors.

Also, the two outer markets are located a bit unevenly. I'd recommend to move them closer to the center, just transform them into a large market 'strip' or do something similar. Now the people who live in the left corner have a disadvantage when they want to visit a market ...

These are just suggestions for details which you can ignore if you don't care or have an explanation, but apart from that it looks really cool. I admire your skill with graphic programs!
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Hex on January 31st, 2010, 7:29 pm

Thanks for your input!

I've definately been debating the position of the markets and residences and more than anything i was going for a design that showed that they travel together and then when camp is made they all sort of stop with their group and make a fire (or two). I thought perhaps for shops like "steeds and saddles" where the horses need a ton of room, I would put it closer to the site.

As for the crowded issue, I thought with all the horses people need a lot of room to navigate in between tents, it's just a thought. I need to make room for the border stakes that are driven into the ground. What about setting them up in a line adjacent to the center and just have them trailing off into the distance. I will draw out a separate border map instead of trying to incoporate it into this one. If I did, the tents and fires would be nearly invisible. It's safe to say that this is more of a 'center of the city map' in which I can show a close up of the web in the center. The canvas in photoshop was getting ridiculously big so I settled for mapping out the densest part of the city in the interest of wanting to display details.
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Words: 169721
Joined roleplay: December 4th, 2009, 4:57 am
Blog: View Blog (6)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Alice on February 1st, 2010, 4:50 pm

Hmm, I definitely didn't think about the horses. But they wouldn't move with them all the time, right? Perhaps vary the spaces a bit, the more important pathways broader, like alleys and main roads in a city. Just a suggestion.

Apart from that, what you say sounds reasonable, I think.
Mura ... Starting Guide ... Konti

"Shard by shard she rearranges the world.
It looks the same, she says, but it is not. It looks as they expect, but it is not."

Gregory Maguire, "Wicked"
Alice
Shade of Grey

Words: 221259
Joined roleplay: October 17th, 2009, 4:51 pm
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Contributor (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Cayenne on February 2nd, 2010, 10:47 pm

I like it! Very nice!
Cayenne
Jungle Queen

Words: 440090
Joined roleplay: March 26th, 2009, 3:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
One Thousand Posts! (1) Power Fork (2)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Hex on February 9th, 2010, 2:47 am

I love that you pointed out leaving spaces for roads, I'm going to use that!

tytyty for all comments!
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)

Postby Hex on February 9th, 2010, 3:50 am

I am updating my map!

check it out! I added the posts (the colourful dots on the perimeter), and I spaced out the houses so that they were more grouped together . I also outlined the main roads a little bit more. These roads wouldn't be visible in the way they are in the map, they're just there to give the map a nice mappy look :D

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/567/smallendrykas123.jpg
Hex
Ghost Chasing Healer

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Artist (1) Donor (1)