[Silver Sliver] Spy vs. Spy [Cris]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Hadrian on September 24th, 2011, 6:34 pm

"You hardly seem simple," Hadrian said with a smile. Perhaps he meant uneducated, but Atelius lived in one of the few thriving cities in Mizahar, and he had traveled. Surely there was a certain amount of sophistication to him; his aura certainly felt complex, and Hadrian couldn't help but admire it, couldn't help but wish he actually had some financial deal to offer him. If this were some other place where he could be Hadrian Aelius instead of Andry Ellis, he might have asked him to invest in Hadrian's magecrafting, as there would certainly be a healthy return on his investment. But for now, all he could do was share his table and his time.

"Syliras and Ravok are a strange case, with diametrically opposed value systems, patron deities at odds with each other. Nyka is insular, and many other cultures within Mizahar are as well. It just seems that those who at least trade with each other are building toward something greater. Zeltiva trades with everyone. Even the haughty Eypharians trade with humans, though they think us inferior. Have you heard of Denval in Kalea? They have opened their doors to the world and over the past sixty years, they have reinvented themselves.

"Perhaps Syliras and Ravok will never work hand in hand, but they might at least establish a border, agree to disagree, and allow for trade..." He shook his head and laughed. "I apologize. I can run my mouth off." If Atelius called himself simple, perhaps it was just a subtle sign that he didn't care to hear such academic talk. Many an intelligent person did not.

"Ah, well, offer a useless academic funds to travel and drink... that will do it. At least, in my case."
Hadrian
Most smartest and best damn tapper.

Words: 1050304
Joined roleplay: March 21st, 2010, 6:50 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Crismento Miren on September 27th, 2011, 9:59 am

Cris found it quite interesting to listen to the man speak, though he was a little uncomfortable with not being able to contribute much to the discussion. Despite being the one who usually had many words ready to be spoken at any time in any circumstances, the swindler lacked the knowledge on the subject and he certainly didn’t want to come across as someone of poor understanding about the world now that he managed to make a good impression on Andry. Crismento didn’t know much about Nyka and only heard of the multi-armed Eypharians, he knew some bits and pieces about Denval, mostly from what the gullible sailors that had been going there told him before leaving their savings to the con artist so that a better life would be waiting for them when they return.

But those conversations weren’t his priority then, and it wasn’t now. Whether he believed what Andry was saying was true or not, he could only agree with him. In most cases it was the best tactic. ”Please, there’s certainly no need for regrets and excuses,” he raised his hands a little as if physically rejecting Andry’s apology. ”It’s always very captivating to hear an intelligent man speak and share his mind. As you can imagine, one is not gifted such opportunity very often in here, which is a shame. It makes me miss Zeltiva sometimes…”

The answer was hardly satisfying for the swindler’s needs, since he knew that it was rarely so simple, and the impression he had on the man in front of him did not suggest for him to be an exception. ”Oh, but I can hardly believe that what you say about yourself is true,” Cris smiled gently shaking his head. ”A man like you, I would imagine, is bound to have something on his mind that drives him to do things that he does.” Crismento raised his mug at Andry inviting him to take a drink. ”As a man to a man, my friend. A stranger to a stranger. What is it that drives your journey through life and makes you leave the safety of home in exchange for the devious glooms of the world?”
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Words: 114694
Joined roleplay: March 10th, 2011, 9:15 pm
Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on October 4th, 2011, 2:30 am

He smiled and drank at Atelius' direction, not that he needed much encouragement. Ravok set his teeth on edge, and the alcohol dulled it. It dulled everything, though. His smile only swam a little bit.

"I just want to know shyke," he admitted. Atelius could be trusted with his heart's desire, couldn't he? "At the University, I could study any old thing that caught my attention. Here in Ravok I can observe another culture, immerse myself in it. That's experiencing the world, at least for me. I'm sure other people would rather experience it in other ways, and I realize that my father's money and hard work are the foundation for this luxury, but there you have it... I just want to know."

He leaned forward on his elbow and peered curiously at Atelius.

"I'm sure you could study at the University if you wished to do so, or travel the continent. You seem like the sort of man who is capable of whatever he sets his mind to." There was unguarded admiration in his eyes, again thinking that this was the sort of man he would like to be; Atelius with magic, of course, but Atelius all the same.

"Perhaps you could come with me when I leave," he said, surprised himself by the words coming out of his mouth, though he was quick to let his aura pulse with ease, nudging Atelius to accept it happily, even if he didn't agree.
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Crismento Miren on October 11th, 2011, 1:36 pm

Cris accepted Andry’s revelation of his desires as if it was some sort of certificate congratulating and welcoming him to the other side of the defensive barriers into the lands of trust. His face muscles remained still as trained soldiers not revealing his satisfaction. ”Knowledge is a noble pursuit, my friend,” the swindler just nodded. ”Yet it is an endless one if you want to know everything. Surely true and ultimate gratification is not a common company on the unceasing quest?”

Crismento imagined that what he was seeing in Andry’s gaze was a reflection of how he would be looking at the man if he was capable of doing it genuinely. And yet he identified the feeling of great regard to the new acquaintance as a sincere one. It wasn’t something unfamiliar to Cris, rather forgotten. ”I truly give that impression?” he smiled with a slight acted surprise on the modest Atelius’s face. ”Perhaps it is only the novice businessman in me poisoning my personality. As a friend, I will reveal you a public secret of the trade: people are more inclined to deal with those who appear that they know what they are doing. No doubt you have noticed my questionable talent of masking the ignorance with a billow of words!”

The con artist was slightly surprised how much of Crismento the person rather than Atelius the character was slipping through in his conversation. And yet with Andry it somehow didn’t seem to be a cause for worrying. What surprised him even more was how quick in his mind he was to jump in agreement to the unexpected invitation. It was years since Cris was the one eager to accept somebody’s offer. ”And where would we travel, Andry?” he laughed managing to hold back the enthusiasm to some extent.
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on October 22nd, 2011, 6:56 pm

He nodded, excitement sneaking into him even as he looked distractedly out the window before locking those bright eyes on Atelius. Under the cool exterior, Hadrian had deep feelings, but he had learned to guard them under a glacial sheet of ice. “There is a... quickening that is translated through you into action," he said, "for me, I mean. When I'm learning. Like now I'm leaning something new. I'm learning about you. And because there is only one of you in all of time, this... expression is unique. And if I didn't meet you, didn't learn you, you would never exist through any other medium and it would be lost to me. My world will not have it. You have to keep yourself open and aware to the urges that motivate you. Keep the channel open." He paused, melancholy and elated at the same time. "No, I am never pleased. There's no satisfaction whatever at any time. There is only a... a strange, divine dissatisfaction, a blessed unrest that keeps me marching and makes us more alive than the others."

Not quite aware that he had begun to include Atelius toward the end with a plural first person, his chlorine blue eyes shone and one might ask if he had any Vantha blood in his veins.

"You're a better actor than I am, but I think sometimes people mistake me for being confident."

He laughed at Atelius' question. "Where wouldn't we go?" His cheeks bloomed spots of color in his excitement, his aura twisting through his words in a most seductive manner, painting his plans with the Utopian perfection of dream. "First to Avanthal to see the Everwinter City through a Winter. To see the gods' paint the sky with shifting light, to take comfort in a warm hearth as the world outside is frozen crackingly solid. To watch the Vantha reave the ice, and all the wonders of the North..."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Crismento Miren on November 9th, 2011, 1:57 pm

Cris had to focus to keep up with Andry’s thoughts that were aiming to fly beyond his comprehension and Silver didn’t help with that at all. But rather than being intimidated by the seemingly overwhelming power of the man’s mind he found himself truly admiring it despite, or maybe because he could not fully comprehend what was being said. ”That sounds like a burden of the gifted. I would be a liar if I told you that I could fathom what this hunger resembles and yet I envy you this desire. This sense of being more alive than the others, as you say…”

”Oh, but you do have a cause to be confident. I can easily say with great assurance that your mind is as strong as any of the twenty men in this tavern sewn together and I barely got to know you yet, my friend. Given more time, I have no doubt you would prove to be able to overpower not twenty but legions of Ravokian drunks in the mental arena,” Cris chuckled before sipping from the mug. ”You are an exceptionally bright man, Andry, and you know it very well, so don’t lie to yourself that people are mistaken to see your confidence. If you do not feel the certainty in your soul then you are robbing yourself from a magnificent feelings you deserve.”

Andry’s enthusiasm excited Crismento and the all too familiar sensation kneading his mind made him almost see the words spoken by the man in front of him. For a moment the swindler thought it must have been how the people he played and betrayed felt when he was pushing them towards the trap disguised as a prize. He had no reason suspect his companion of having any ulterior motives for bringing him to Avanthal, so he didn’t. Strangely, Cris felt that he could nearly trust this man should he ever be in such a desperate need to trust somebody.

And yet the northern lands scared him a little. The con artist didn’t know much about them, but he was aware of the stark climate. Surrounded by unfamiliar culture and separated from the world by snow, ice and blizzards he would neither last nor leave easily, having to depend on the chance companions even greater than before. Cris shook his head gently. Avanthal, the way the city existed in his mind, was not a place for the type of men that he belonged to.

”I am in much doubt that I can see myself travelling to that end of the world,” a trace of genuine regret remained in Crismento’s voice when he spoke. ”Why the winter lands, my friend? Has your mind exhausted everything Sylira has to offer?” Carefully his magical art began wrapping around his voice trying to lure away Andry’s excitement and guide it towards a different direction. ”Surely there must be plenty of things and opportunities left even in Ravok for you to discover. For us to discover…”
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on November 13th, 2011, 11:35 pm

He was momentarily disappointed that Atelius did not understand the driving force behind him, his life, his identity; but the man's confidence in him was touching, and if he had been thinking more clearly, he might have worried how much that opinion mattered to him out of nowhere, how this slick man he might normally have despised for being too much like an idealized version of himself was suddenly taking his place as a confidant of sorts. The desire to tell him his real name was great, but he kept putting it off, not wanting to anger him with the revelation of his false identity, even if Andry was also in many ways an idealized version of Hadrian to his mind.

But even as he began to feel warm and a flush coming to his cheeks, Atelius dashed his sudden hopes. He would have to go to Avanthal without him.

"Oh, of course," he said, trying to hide his disappointment. "It was a foolish idea anyway. I have a friend there I want to see, and Winter is the best time to be there, but also the most difficult time to get there, so I would have to leave fairly early in Fall. And Sylira will be here when I return, though I would not mind seeing more of Ravok with you. No, not at all."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Crismento Miren on December 19th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Disappointment in Andry’s voice was not obvious, but his words still gave it away. Cris expected to cause such reaction and even though he usually tried to avoid it as much as possible, sometimes he just had to admit that it was the best move and find a way to keep working towards his goals. The swindler smiled lightly when his new friend did not show reluctance to the counter-offer, and leaned closer over the table, tiny flares of new-born enthusiasm flickering in his eyes. ”Then how about we abandon this lair of drunks for today and take a short ravosala trip to a slightly different place? There is something I would like to show you, my friend.”

The con artist took the final gulp of Sliver from his mug and pushed it to the side of the table. He swiftly stood up and with a playful twitch of his head pointed towards the door in case Andry needed some more encouragement. ”With luck, perhaps I will even manage to provide you with some interesting thoughts that would tickle your curious mind during your journey to the coldest lands,” Crismento smiled while robbing his pouch for several coins. ”I shall meet our tab today and will leave you the privilege to do so the next time we drink, whenever that may be, should you insist. Now, devour those last drops of ale in your mug and let us find ourselves a respectable ravosalaman.”
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

Postby Hadrian on December 22nd, 2011, 7:48 am

A smile flickered to life on Hadrian's face, and he certainly seemed to light up. He could not say which of them was the sun and the other the moon, who was the source of the light and who was reflecting it, but it didn't seem to matter. He trusted Atelius, but even as he downed the last of his Silver, his senses, mundane and magical, were a bit blurred. The trust and the lack of inhibitions combined to make him act entirely out of character, he who was normally so cautious, but he was wary still.

He knew Atelius would protect him.

Protect me, his aura said to Atelius', one field of energy permeating the other, attempting to inspire a fierce protectiveness in Atelius. It was not deleterious manipulation. A friend would protect a friend, especially in the dangerous canals of Ravok.

So much a believer in this new friendship was he, that he stood up, smiling and not even noticing his lighter pouch.

"Show me."
Hadrian

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
One Million Words! (1)

Postby Crismento Miren on December 30th, 2011, 11:59 am

Cris should have felt nothing else but satisfaction when Andry agreed to come along and yet he hesitated for a moment. Had he lingered some more on that brief doubt, he might have begun questioning his own intentions. After all, Andry was not some random drunken sailor just waiting for Lhex to screw him over again. The swindler enjoyed this man’s company, perhaps even too much, but he knew that his way of life did not leave much room for reservations.

He led them out of the tavern and to the nearest dock. ”Ravok is most peculiar city,” Crismento spoke keeping his voice down, but loud enough for a convenient conversation. Eavesdroppers in this town could probably be more lethal than anywhere else on Mizahar. ”The outsiders see it as the den of vices and corruption, and yet the locals, I observe, regard it as their safe haven. I must confess, it is not often easy to argue against them. For that one must look at the parts that are rotten…” The last sentence was delivered in even quieter tone. ”What do you make of that, Andry?”

They soon approach one of ravosalas waiting for its clients. ”To the Dark Delights, my good man,” Cris told the ravosalaman as the two men boarded the boat. ”Somewhere close to the market would be ideal.”

”One thing that can be unquestionably admired is the design of the city,” the con artist spoke again once he sat back and the ravosala began to move. ”I mean these canals not only offer brilliant means for transportation, but also daintily decorates the town. More so closer to the centre rather than the docks, of course,” Cris noted with a smile upon seeing a man on the dock relieving his upset and probably intoxicated stomach into the water as they passed by. The ravosalaman gave his consolations in a form of a brief but rather imaginative suggestion of the places for the man to visit. ”Could have been an idea of a genius and titanic endeavour of labour to realize it, but it happened almost naturally, seeing how the city was built on a lake Yet attributing this accomplishment to those who so deeply care about the people could be so easy, should one so decided.”

Although laidback and relaxed in his attitude, Cris tried not to be too careless with his words while attempting to better understand what kind of person Andry was.
Crismento Miren
Not Laconic

Character sheet

PreviousNext