If I Stop Thinking(Akilah)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Colt on August 11th, 2011, 2:24 am

12 of summer, 511

Khasr was in a very odd mood, meaning that he wasn't simmering with rage at some part of the world or another. He wasn't sulking in the least populated spot, dejectedly sharpening javelins, he wasn't attacking expendable inanimate objects, and he wasn't complaining about how hard life was and how he deserved more. No, he was walking, quite calmly and with a civilized air, through the street-like passages between rows upon rows of tents. He had come to Endrykas bitter, determined to hate the place, and was a bit annoyed with himself at not being able to hold up to his goal.

He wasn't going anywhere in particular, and his mind began to wander and his eyes unfocused. He had just met his brother's new wife, but he couldn't remember her name. He hadn't been paying attention during introductions, but much to the surprise of the pavilion and of he himself he hadn't given her a cold shoulder, but given her an ungainly but heartfelt greeting. He then had continued with his hunting plans, cutting off further conversation, but now, as he walked, all of his plans deserted him. He didn't even remember what he had been planning to hunt. On another day he might have been irritated, but at the moment he couldn't have felt more passive. Strong emotions just seemed pointless.

Eventually he found himself circling to the edge of the city. Maybe if he went hunting in spite of his forgetfulness and just made new plans, he would feel better.
“Pavi” | Grassland Sign | “Common” | “Tukant” | Nura
Colt
Miss Communication

Words: 943625
Joined roleplay: August 8th, 2011, 6:38 am
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Akilah Windsong on August 11th, 2011, 7:31 pm

Akilah checked Adámas's back once more, confirming her rope and her father's spare bow and arrows were securely attached to her Yvas. Though she had no skills in archery, no practical knowledge of it, she did remember what it looked like when her father used it.

And hopefully, if she managed to kill something today, she could get her father or uncle to teach her how to use it. With a kill in one hand and a bow in the other, they couldn't possibly refuse.

Strapped to her waist was her sword, though it was too large for most prey she would find, it was there as a security measure. Especially since she hadn't brought her family's hunting pack, for this kill she wanted to make on her own.

Adámas whickered, moving away from her roving hands.

"Sorry, I'm just nervous. I don't want to forget something like last time," she apologized, patting her mount's neck.

A bark at her feet alerted her that Vespera was bored of standing and before her dog ran away from her, she started to walk to the edge of the pavilion. For once, the young pup was content to stay at her feet, his head inquisitively turning from side to side.

As the pavilions thinned out, the noisy chatter of people replaced by the whistling of the wind, she noticed a boy not much older than her pacing about. It was kind of funny how lost he seemed and she approached him, her curiosity getting the better of her.

"Hello," she greeted, waving her hand, "What are you doing?"

Adámas nibbled her hair lightly and she hastily added, remembering her manners, "I'm Akilah, by the way, and this is Adámas." Looking down for her pup, she noticed the black dog had wandered a little to the side, investigating a small shrub nearby. "And that's Vespera."
Akilah Windsong
Player

Words: 137515
Joined roleplay: May 5th, 2011, 4:02 am
Character sheet

Postby Colt on August 11th, 2011, 7:50 pm

Had he eaten something strange? It seemed more logical than anything else to explain his odd lack of feeling.

Someone was talking to him, and his eyes refocused.

"What? Oh, uh... nothing. Thinking. Walking. What did you ask? Oh."

It was very, very rare that Khasr socialized, and as such his growth in that particular area was rather stunted. His stumbling reply was a testament to the fact.

"Oh, hello," he said as she introduced herself. "I'm Windheel. Khasr. No, Khasr Windheel. Wait..." he looked down, brow furrowing in concentration as he tried to remember the proper way to introduce himself. "I am Khasr of the Windheel pavilion."

He looked back up and nodded crisply. Yes, that was what he was supposed to say. He looked into her eyes with a very satisfied expression, but his gaze was quickly drawn to the tattoos on her arms. His eyes darkened, and he very discretely seemed to get about an inch shorter. His cloak and long sleeves would shield him from questioning eyes, but the flare of fire in his heart was still there. Her returned his gaze to her eyes.

"What are you doing here? Are you some type of warrior?" he asked, eyeing her sword.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Akilah Windsong on August 11th, 2011, 11:49 pm

She raised an eyebrow as he spoke, cocking her head slightly as she tried to understand his words. Chuckling lightly, she commented, "And I thought I was bad! I'm from the Windsong Pavilion of the Diamond Clan."

He had long sleeves, she noticed, faintly surprised. It wasn't too hot today, for it was still early summer, but not cool enough to warrant sleeves. Glancing at the long grass around her and the occasional thorny bush, she realized it could be to protect his skin.

Smart. She wished she had thought of doing so, it would save her from the scratches she would get later. Then again, she never liked wearing sleeves, it felt restrictive.

"Ah, sort of. I'm not good enough yet, but hopefully soon." She gave a wry smile at that, knowing that soon was an extreme hope. Adámas snorted at her comment and she turned her head to face her strider. "Shut up." Returning to Khasr, she gave a sigh before continuing, "Anyways, right now I'm going hunting."

Vespera gave a small yelp now, stumbling out of a bramble-patch and shaking his head, his paws trying to reach his nose. After a few more tries, he ran to her, whining plaintively.

"What did you do now?" Kneeling, she picked up the small creature, a shadow in her hands. Looking at his nose, she realized he had a thorn there, and quickly pulled out the obstructive object. He whined again and she put him down, ruffling his fur as she stroked his head comfortingly.

And a little humbled, he stayed by her feet, sniffing curiously at the boy in front of her.

Returning to her conversation, she continued as though no interruption took place. "Would you like to come?"
Last edited by Akilah Windsong on August 12th, 2011, 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Postby Colt on August 12th, 2011, 3:53 am

He tilted his head. Hunting sounded like it would do him some good. He nodded.

“Yes… hunting sounds good. I would have to retrieve my equipment, however. Stay here. I’ll be back in a bit.”

He turned and set off back towards his pavilion at a healthy pace. He arrived quickly, and was about to round the corner of a different pavilion to catch sight of his own when he nearly ran directly into his brother.

“Hey!” Hadar said, reeling backwards. “Watch where you’re—oh. Hello, Khasr.”

Khasr’s eyes were caught and held by the new Ankhal’s powerful gaze, but he still edged around him with the urgency of someone caught in a very undesirable situation. The bright blue tattoos on Hadar’s exposed right arm couldn’t have been more conspicuous to Khasr if they were flaming pink and screaming.

“Where are you going?” Hadar asked, sounding rather cautious.

“Hunting,” Khasr replied before bolting.

The pavilion was only a number of yards away and her found his small area easily. It was simple; a bedroll and his belongings. He picked up his backpack and slung it over one shoulder, then hung his javelin quiver on the other. As he headed back to where he supposed the girl was, thanking the gods that his brother seemed to have left, he earned a number of odd looks. He knew he was a bit out of place, and a quiver of javelins wasn’t exactly a ‘normal’ sight. The holder was made just like an arrow quiver save that it was nearly double in size, and he had the habit of putting his javelins in so the point was facing the sky and making for an easier throw.

As he returned to the site he knew that he was going to go hunting, whether the girl had decided to stay or now.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Akilah Windsong on August 12th, 2011, 8:11 pm

She watched curiously as he ran off, intent on getting his weapons. A few minutes later, he disappeared into the myriad of tents and people and she could no longer discern him from his surroundings.

"Well, that was interesting," she told Adámas. "I guess we made a new friend." She smiled at the thought, she liked meeting people, learning new ideas. Perhaps he could help her improve her hunting--he seemed more experienced, somehow. Perhaps it was how he walked, the careful thread of a predator, lightly and without sound. Always watching, always waiting.

She knew her own footsteps were deafening in comparison, and as she waited she practiced walking. She let each step sink into the earth, her weight transferred to it entirely before she lifted her other foot. It worked, in a sense. She noticed the twigs and the bent grass, kept placing her feet in spots already worn down. However, she was moving too slowly to be practical and this was something she'd have to practice again one day, when she had time and there was no one else.

Vespera remained at her feet, jumping from step to step, and she couldn't help herself. Laughing, she leaned down to pet the pup. "Perhaps you and I will get along after all."

He had the markings of a hunting dog, after all, and with a little training he could become great.

Adámas gave a soft whinny and she turned in time to see Khasr walking back, the tips of his arrows behind him. Blinking, she looked again, those metal tips were too large to be arrows. No bow would manage them. Getting up, she peered behind him at the quiver.

"That's an interesting weapon." Large too, so obviously his quarry were bigger than hers. He must be experienced then. Excitement coursed through her veins and she rocked on her feet to contain herself. "Shall we go then?"

She turned to face the savannah, the tall grasses that clumped in meadows, the rocky terrain with no protection except for a lone tree. Vespera was already nosing his way forward and somewhere out there, a bird cried.
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Postby Colt on August 12th, 2011, 10:35 pm

Khasr nodded to the girl, but felt a little nervous. He hadn’t hunted with someone else in a number of years, and when he had he’d been nothing but dead weight to his partner. He hoped he’s be able to do better this time. He shifted his pack and headed out into the grassiest direction, knowing that it would be easier to track in there. He didn’t walk in a particularly stealthy manner, but his eyes were searching for something to actually hunt. He looked over his shoulder to explain where they were going, and stumbled over his words a great deal less that he had before, though his speech was still a bit choppy.

“We won’t find anything. Not here. Too loud. Too noisy. Too smelly,” he said, flicking his gaze to mark the position of the sun. “Too many people and too early. Only tiny things are not frightened because they cannot be caught by arrows.”

He stopped and stiffened as anger flared hot in his chest, screaming at him to be quiet and plunge forward, abandoning his companion. Whatever strange effect that was on him was wearing off.

“Be careful as we go farther,” he said when calmness returned. “I will get irritable. I will probably snap at you.” That didn’t nearly cover it, but he didn’t know how to accurately convey what he was trying to.

“I will be maybe half a hour before we find something. Probably more. We will keep to grass and plants, because they mean water. And water means animals.”

It didn’t occur to him that since she had asked him to go hunting with her, she might have a plan of her own and a preferred quarry.
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Akilah Windsong on August 13th, 2011, 6:19 pm

As they walked she kept an eye out for Vespera. Young and not too used to the hunt, she was worried the pup might accidentally make too much noise or disappear into the wilderness. As it was, he was unusually quiet, nose to the ground as he followed Khasr.

Perhaps letting him stay with Isra was a good idea. The older vixen might have taught him a thing or two and as he sometimes disappeared from her sight, his dark coat blending in with the darker underbrush, she felt a hint of pride.

Mimicking Khasr, she looked around as well. There were a few birds in the sky, soft warbling breaking the silence. Nearby she could hear rustling, a small creature scuttling across the ground. Listening to his explanation, she noticed the pressed grass, the sign of footsteps that surrounded her.

They were still close to the city, after all, and even children were able to go this far without worries.

"You sound like you'll explode any minute," she commented, not really stopping to think about her words. For he did sound like a bomb ticking, with his short sentences and curt tone. Hopefully, when he did go off, it would be to the prey and not her.

Adámas was silent as she trotted, used to traversing the wild plains around them. All Akilah noticed of her was the soft warm puffs on the juncture of her neck and shoulder, the soft hairs on her cheek every now and then. Glancing down, she paid attention to the plants around her, noticing the difference in the colours. Further down the path Khasr was taking, she noticed there were dark green bushes, shoots of flowers waiting to bloom. Behind her, she remembered leaving pale yellow, tan-coloured grasses.

No doubt about it, they were approaching water.
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Postby Colt on August 14th, 2011, 5:04 am

The more signs of water Khasr saw, the slower he got. His eyes darted from side to side, searching for signs of quarry or predator. He barely remembered half of the lessons his mentor had taught him, but after a year or so he was slowly regaining some of it and improvising when need be.

The grass was getting taller, and he sank into a crouch to bring his head below it. He suddenly held up his hand for a halt as his ears were graced by a magical sound: running water. He rolled onto the balls of his feet and peeked over the

Khasr waited, then stepped back and leaned towards the girl to a point where it almost, almost could be considered close quarters. He’d already talked a great deal today and was rapidly tiring of interaction, but he was a born and bred drykas of the Emerald Clan and had just gained conscious awareness of a blazingly obvious snag.

“Uh, what are we hunting?
Colt
Miss Communication

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Advocate (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Akilah Windsong on August 18th, 2011, 3:25 am

She slowed down as well, crouching as she walked. Eyes peeled to the ground, she looked around for signs, for the small trails that animals leave behind. Bent grass, droppings, dried footprints, she noted the small tufts of fur and feathers that remained behind long after the creatures left.

Each animal left a calling card, a mark that could mean their death if read properly. All Akilah had to do was understand it.

As the soil beneath her feet grew muddy, the footprints soft in the squishy ground, she didn't notice Khasr's halt until her head almost smacked into his back. Glancing up, she froze as well, wondering what quarry he had seen until she heard the gurgling of the creek.

Ah, they had reached the water. Step one was accomplished, and she smiled at that.

The smile froze when his face suddenly appeared in front of hers, a little too close for her taste. She could see his eyelashes, the small sheen of sweat on his cheeks, and instinctively she moved her head back.

(she wasn't scared.)

"Oh, I thought since you were...What were you planning on hunting when we got to the stream?" Akilah was a little surprised at the question, he seemed like he knew what he was doing. "You just started walking without a plan?" Running a hand through her hair, her fingers running over the braids and knots that kept her locks neatly tied up, she considered the question. "Well, I wasn't after anything in particular--I was just going to get the first quarry I could find."

Glancing around her, she gestured vaguely at her surroundings. "We could always pick a trail and follow it, if we have to."
Akilah Windsong
Player

Character sheet

Next