Growth by Necessity(Training Closed/Grandfathered))

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Growth by Necessity(Training Closed/Grandfathered))

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 5th, 2010, 7:22 am

Skills to be Trained: Composite Longbow Body Building Longsword

75th Day of Winter 509 AV

Jaeden stood in a small clearing within the forest as a light snow fell through the thick of the evergreens that grew around him. Simple sounds of the breeze and birds distracted him from what would otherwise be a deafening silence. His luck in hunting food as of late had been poor. Of course, there wasn't much to be had in snaring small and medium game, especially during the winter season where many of the simply laid dormant.

Jaeden slipped his pack from off his shoulders as it thudded to the ground kicking up the light flakes of snow into the air. Reaching along the back of it, he slowly unraveled a small cord that kept a long wooden shaft tied to the back of the pack. The beige colored surface of the wood shined in what little light managed to filter through both the storm clouds and tree canopy above. The wooden shaft itself curved slightly along both ends and had a brow leather hand grip at it's center. It was long, over six feet by first looks alone and had sever decorative carvings along the shaft itself. Closer inspection would reveal another element in the wooden shaft itself. Something white, perhaps ivory.

"Well, it certainly looks nice," Jaeden said as he looked it over for a moment before reaching into his belt pouch, "but for the coin I paid for it, I'm hoping it's not just about appearance."

Jaeden pulled a long string that had a looped tied along both ends. One end of the string he looped around the bottom end of the wooden shaft before bracing it with his right foot. Then, holding the other end of the shoft with his right hand and the string with the other, he slowly started to bend it as the muscle in his right arm bulged through his clothing. The string lightly slid through his free hand until his thumb and index finger caught the loop at the end. Slight grunting escaped Jaeden's lips as he bent the shaft, of what was now obviously a composite bow, far enough to loop the other end of the string to the along the top end of the shaft itself. He slowly released pressure until the string itself went taught with pressure.

Jaeden grasped the bow by it's handle with his right hand and then raised it up level with his body. "That doesn't feel right," Jaeden said before switching hands. "Ahh, better."

Jaeden slid his middle and index finger along the bow string, twanging it a couple of times. Then, gripping the bow shaft tightly, Jaeden pulled back on the string, exhaling slightly as muscles in both of his arms went taught. "More difficult then I thought it would be," Jaeden thought to himself as he slowly let the bow string move forward again.

Jaeden then looked to the felled log he had set up earlier. It was close to two feet thick and was leaned up along a nearby tree. He began pacing for a moment away from it, getting some distance to adequately challenge himself. When he was about thirty yards away, he turned and faced the tree. He stared at it for a long moment, focusing his eyes, letting all other distractions melt away. Then, with an released breath he said, "Well, maybe a bit closer," before closing the distance to twenty yards instead.

Finally, Jaeden drew a common longbow arrow from his quiver. Notching the arrow into the string, Jaeden slowly drew the arrow back, holding the bow up level with his shoulder and drawing the string back far. He breathed slowly as he kept his eye on the target as he tried to keep his hand as steady as possible. Finally, he released the string of the bow as a sharp twanging sound followed it. The sound that followed after that was loud cursing as Jaeden dropped his bow, hopping up and down a couple of times as his right hand quickly began rubbing the skin along his wrist. "Shyke! Shyke! SHYKE!" Jaeden yelled as he whipped his arm down a couple of times hoping the cold air would numb the sting some. "Wrist guard, forgot the wrist guard!"

Jaeden picked up his bow and brushed the snow off it before stomping over to his pack with a annoyed look on his face. Reaching inside, he pulled out a long leather strip with strings attached to it. He began slipping the wrist guard on as he looked to the log to see where his arrow had hit. He then let out a deep sigh as he found the arrow was nowhere in sight. "I may have to go buy more arrows," Jaeden muttered to himself. "I truly am a novice at this."

Jaeden then began pacing back away from his target, and turned towards it, once again drawing an arrow from his quiver. "I'm glad I didn't decide to start with moving prey," Jaeden said as he drew an arrow again, "else I'd be at this for months."
Last edited by Jaeden Kincade on March 1st, 2010, 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Words: 824662
Joined roleplay: January 29th, 2010, 2:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Lore Author (1) Trailblazer (1)
Overlored (1) Advocate (1)
Power Fork (1)

Re: Growth by Necessity(Training Thread Open)

Postby Midnight on February 9th, 2010, 3:23 am

75th Day of Winter 509AV

Cold was the only thing the bird could process through his mind, perched on a branch of one of the many trees in the open wilderness. Sensible birds would of flown south to warm areas, but Midnight was not like other birds. His curiosity and endless need for experience kept him from going to warmer areas of the content. The big, out of place bird ruffles his feathers removing some of he flakes that had collected on his feathers.

His eyes look around in the white covered bronze woods; even covered in ice the woods never lose their beauty. A soft breeze blows by, carrying with it light flakes of frozen water. The flakes lazily drifting through the forest before settling down on the ground or uncovered surface, a serene sight to see.

“Where can I find something to do?” The macaw asks himself. The answer, drifts in the wind, well more like flying at a high rate of speed. An arrow whizzes by the tree that he is perched upon. At first he thought he was being hunted, but the sounds of distant curses told him otherwise. “Oo this could be interesting or at least enjoyable to watch,” The bird talks to itself in a cackling sound that only he could understand.

His pack with clothes and the rest of his belongings lay covered in a thin layer of powdery snow on the forest floor thirty feet below. The kelvic hoped off the branch that he was perched on using his wings to slow his decent to the cold ground.

His wings, as he passes snowy branches dislodging some of the snow from the tree, as he begins to close the distance to the ground the snow falling with him begins to distort. The area around the bird begins to bend and quiver like light during a hot day. It gets to a point where the bird looks like a blob of navy blue and white. As the mass of bent light reaches the bottom it begins to fade, the blue blot of distorted color becomes clear revealing the hair of a young, fair skinned man who is now clinging to the tree as he climbs down the last few feet.

The naked skin of the man reaches the snowy floor and is quickly brought back up, the cold biting at his skin.
“Ack it’s cold!” He exclaimed.

The clinging man takes a breath of cold air, held in anticipation of cold nipping ground. Jumping down into the snow he quickly shuffles to his pack to fetch his shoes, pants, shirt, and robe. His hands and feet far from idle, motivated to move quickly from the chilling air hitting his bare skin.

The shoes are on first to protect them from getting frostbite. Simple looking, he has never really bothered getting better boots. In most cases Midnight goes bare footed and in the buff. However during winter that all goes south without him. The pants standard brown wool, his shirt is baggy on him and white, he collects his pack slinging it over his shoulders as he begins a trek toward the sound of the cursing.
Midnight
Player

Words: 25147
Joined roleplay: December 3rd, 2009, 3:16 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 11th, 2010, 5:20 am

Those sky blue eyes stared down the arrow, past the sharp upper edge of the arrow's head, over the distance of twenty-five yards to a tree trunk where only two arrows where stuck in. Other arrows were stuck in the ground, while some still were no where in sight. Including the one he had drawn, he had ten arrows left to fire. "Slowly getting the hang of this," Jaeden said as he let loose another arrow before seeing it glance off the edge of the log he was firing at and flying somewhere deeper into the forest.

"Perhaps not," Jaeden then said as he reached into his quiver pulling out another arrow.

Holding the bow horizontally, he noched the arrow and let it rest there for a moment. He held up his hand and opened and closed his hand, looking at his index and middle fingers. The tips were red, having been rubbed almost raw by constantly drawing the Composite Bow and the friction caused between his fingers and the bow string upon releasing his shot. "They'll callous over soon enough," Jaeden thought to himself as he raised the bow vertically and drew the arrow.

He aimed once again, his eyes level with the arrow, his breathing slowed down steadily. His eyes narrowed as the log in the distance was brought more into focus. The string was drawn even further as his thumb almost rested along the back of his jawline, the arrow's feathers brushing along the skin of his cheek.

A final exhale was then given as a long fog of hot breath lingered through the air in front of before being carried by the slight breeze. When all the air in his lungs had been finally released, it was then that the shot was fired. There was the sharp snap of the bow string as it traveled back to it's straitened position faster than the eye could follow. The arrow whistled through the air before the sound of the arrow's head embedding itself into the thick bark of the tree echoed in the silent forest only to be followed by the sound of the arrow's vibrations caused by it's sudden stop.

A sigh of relief was then exhaled as Jaeden lowered his bow. It wasn't dead center, but it was closer than any of the previous shots and he felt satisfied by this. "Okay then. Six more arrows," Jaeden said as he turned from the log and began walking further out. "Let's try from thirty-five yards away now."

"If I were to stop and take in the gravity of any serious situation I'm in, I'd likely fall to my knees from being overwhelmed by it. Things become much easier to deal with if you simply make jokes."
Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Midnight on February 16th, 2010, 5:19 pm

"Hmm I may have lost my way," The kelvic thought to himself only to be interrupted by another arrow that whizzed by stopping in a mound of snow.
"Now I have found my way!" He proclaimed, the snow crunching beneath his feet as he walks to the arrow stopped cold in the snow.

"This arrow has lost it's way as well, maybe I should bring it back." The covered body leaned over his hands reaching down to grab the shaft of the arrow, drawing it out of the snow. "Hmm," he sounds turning around and in the direction the arrow had come. "This way he," he points and begins trudging through the snow cheerfully.
"Oh wait what if an other arrow comes, I should go this way then around." He begins to move slightly off path as he makes a loop around.

A few moments later he came to a clearing were a man standing in front of him, was just about to shoot an arrow at a stripped log. He watches the man intently standing still not wanting to distract the man. The archer's breath seems calm and rhythmic, only a moment after the arrow is shot and embeds itself into it's target. During this time Midnight decided to walk forward and alert the man of his presence.
"Archer, I do believe you lost this!" He says holding up the arrow.
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 17th, 2010, 5:53 am

Jaeden was in the process of pulling another arrow from the quiver when he heard the voice of another. He looked up to see another standing off to the side. On instinct alone his eyes searched for visible weapons the man had on his person. Seeing none, other than an arrow Jaeden had previously loosed, his hand slipped away from the arrow the tips of his fingers were lightly brushing at the time.

He paused for a moment, searching the surrounding area for others, considering the fact that this one man may just be providing a distraction for others. He raised his right hand, dragging the back of it over his check to dull a slight itch that had risen there. A slow breath was then exhaled as he relaxed a little, not sensing anyone else nearby.

Jaeden carried the bow at his side and began moving casually towards the visitor. He searched the man for wounds, and to see if the arrow itself had blood on it. Jaeden of course didn't want the guilt of one of his stray arrows hitting someone, and he at least saw that he did not hit this person. Jaeden stopped about three feet away from the man before holding his hand out for the arrow and saying, "Thank you. That's one less I'll have to repurchase now. I didn't hit anyone with it, did I?"

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Midnight on February 17th, 2010, 2:48 pm

"No, no one important." He teased and took one step toward the man and handed back his arrow. "Of course I am being a jester, there would of been loud yells if you hit someone archer. Though it was quite a surprise when it zoomed by." He smiled looking down to look at the bow.

"Wow mister you have a nice bow, very fitting for a master archer like yourself aye?" He smiled teasingly, his boyish looks matched his attitude and body language, even so he seemed more mature for his age. Orange eyes move back up to look into the man's eyes. His manor was very kind, the kelvic never had any problem meeting strangers. He was always friendly to who ever he met unless they give him a reason to be unsavory.

"You wouldn't mind if I sit over here and watch you would you? I have nothing else planned today and it is the first time I have seen you in the forest. I find you more exciting then watching the snow fall." The man rummaged through his pack and soon brought out a burlap pouch of dried fruits and nuts. "Snack?" He asked the man holding up the sack in offering to him.
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 18th, 2010, 1:13 am

Jaeden slowly rolled his eyes when he heard the "master archer" comment, noching the arrow he had received into his bow. "I don't mind you sticking around if you don't mind dodging the possible stray arrow," Jaeden commented before respectfully turning down the offer of the fruit. "No, I ate before coming here, but thank you for the offer."

Jaeden slowly made his way back out to his previous position thirty five yards away from the log. "I'll be training all day, just so you know," Jaeden mentioned as he began pulling back another arrow, "and not just in archery, so I may be on the move."

Jaeden the slowed his breath once again, focusing his site on the tree ahead. Then with the release of the bow string, he sent the arrow flying before seeing it miss completely and shatter hitting a nearby rock. "Well, that sort of figures," Jaeden simply muttered under his breath. He just released a sigh as he reached to his quiver, pulling out another arrow. Six more to go, or was it seven?
Last edited by Jaeden Kincade on February 20th, 2010, 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Postby Christoph on February 18th, 2010, 4:04 am

The sound of hoofs was muffled by snow as the Seme moved slowly its rider strapped tightly on seeming almost dazed as his horse seems to wander towards no where in particular. The man’s long hair completely shrouds his face though occasionally a slight glint of green pierces through his curtain of hair. Scalemail crafted to resemble dragon scales jingles lightly with each of the horses steps. The riders belt is weighed down with two sheathed longswords the hilts occasionally clanking together. His long fur cloak was stretched over his silent body.

He slowly stirred his body cracking as he stretched slightly yawning loudly. He shook his head, his mane sending frost and snow flying through the air. His hair fell quickly back into place as he looked towards the other two who occupied the clearing he and his horse had wandered into. He unstrapped himself and jumped down from the saddle at first he almost gave off the appearance of a highwayman before he slipped and fell face first into the snow, quickly scrambling to his feet he brushed the snow from his hair and face before resting his hands on the hilts of his swords.

He seemed to raise one of his brows only hinted by the slight movement of his hair. “I seem to have stumbled upon people in the wilds. What brings you two to these wintery wild woodlands where we now stand?” he pauses but not long enough for an answer “of coarse where are my manners” he says smiling only revealed through the bright white gleam from under the dark curtain. “ who am I to ask who you are to be here when I am the one intruding, so I shall start with myself good sirs. I am Christoph” The man seems odd, a overwhelming readiness to kill you is shown by his stance which any competent swordsmen could tell by the aggressive stance and the unclasped blades, it is clear that the man seems to think you dangerous enough to be ready to attack at the first notice of danger.
These are not the hands of a warrior, but of a craftsmen. These swords are my chisel with them I shall carve a land for my people and cut my name into history.
Christoph
The Highlord

Words: 2817
Joined roleplay: February 12th, 2010, 4:46 am
Character sheet

Postby Midnight on February 18th, 2010, 4:34 pm

Smiling he began to walk back, "I wish I could say I had a decent meal." He started to take a step back and sat down up against a tree.
As he sat cross legged he brought his pack into his lap. Hands rummaged through the pack straitening up supplies. His fingers brushed against an almost forgotten tool, a long wooden and metal laced baton. At least it looked to be a baton but housed with in it was a short sword's blade. Smiling he took it out of the pack to clean it a bit, he also looked up at at the man as he took aim with his bow.

He watched the arrow leave the man as it flew directly at a rock, splintering and shattering into several pieces. Midnight couldn't help but smile and giggle a little, "Couple more hits and that rock is yours!" He teased in a friendly way, before going back to his own musings. It wasn't long before a thought arose, while the man was reaching for another arrow, Midnight hurried gathering up snow and made a snow ball. From his seated position he tossed the snow ball toward the man. With it hit or dodged it Midnight didn't know for something new caught his eyes.

A tall man with strange armor fell face first into the snow. Midnight began to laugh hysterically for he found it incredibly hilarious. Rolling on his back in laughter he barely hears the man's introduction. Calming a bit, "Hee hee, the great Chrristof," He rolled the rs, "wants to know what brings us here."

Orange eyes narrowed on the armored man, who looked to have taken an offensive position. This made him chuckles more, "Why are you so uneasy it is clear we three be fools capable of nothing more then hunting rocks, eating fruits, and falling in the snow." He proclaimed and gathered himself, "But if you have to know, I live here."

During his time of laughing Midnight had gathered more snow and made a snow ball. "Think fast," he tossed the snow ball at the new man, "Noble or your armor my tarnish!"
Midnight
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook

Postby Jaeden Kincade on February 20th, 2010, 7:10 am

Jaeden's head jerked back as a snowball grazed the tip of his nose. He then released a sigh as another appeared. First a jester of sorts, then one of a more serious tone. Slipping the arrow away, Jaeden let the tip of his bow fall to the ground before resting an arm along the upper curve of the bow while his right hand fell to the hilt of his own sword.

His eyes studied the new arrival for a moment. From the armor he wore to the two sword hilts that his hands rested along. His gaze then observed the tension the new arrival seemed to display. He had had it many times himself. He let a long moment of silence pass by before finally addressing Christoph. "Well met," Jaeden simply said. "Jaeden Kincade is my name, relax a little bit. If we were looking to attack you, we wouldn't be making so much noise. If you were going to attack us, you would have drawn your swords by now."

Jaeden's hand finally moved from the hilt of his blade to the quiver of arrows once again slipping one free. "It's simple training I do right now," Jaeden said as he noched the arrow into the bow. "As for the high spirited one, he's not felt inclined to share his name with me just yet. Likely waiting for his cracker," Jaeden explained drawing the arrow back.

This time he really didn't aim, nor slow his breathing or anything of the such. Rather Jaeden just drew the bow then released the arrow out of simple frustration from what "aiming" had gotten him thus far. He didn't even expect to be close this time. In fact, he expected the arrow to somehow ricochet and by some act of nature or fate, bounce back and hit him. However, the arrowed cried through the air before it embedded itself in the log, dead center. "Oh, you have got to be shyking me!" Jaeden suddenly yelled.

Jaeden Kincade
Disco Jae

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Power Fork (1)

Next