[Avanthal library]First day on the job!(solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Coren on August 23rd, 2011, 6:46 pm

7th of summer 511

Just as Felix had asked of Coren he was at the library around the eight bell in the morning, as ready as he could be for the first day of his job as clerk in the library. Pushing open the door he smiled as he saw the other vantha working behind the counter look up towards him.
“Hello, Your the person felix hired yesterday, coren right?” Coren smiled behind his mask and nodded. “Yes, I don't know your name though.” He said in a cheery voice as he held out his hand.
The vantha tentatively shook his hand and gave him a shaky smile. Looking more then a bit wierded out at the fact he covered up almost his entire body.
“Well my name is jack and you probably want me to explain your job here right?” Coren just gave a nod in response to that question.
“Well it isn't that hard, you just need to write down who loaned what and for how long they can loan it, if they bring it back later then an entire season they need to pay 5 golden miza's fine, If they bring back a book that is damaged they need to pay the price of the book and they get yelled at by felix.” Jack waited for a second and stared at coren. “Did you get all of that?”
Coren nodded and motioned for jack to continue with his explination.

“Well the books are sorted in a simple matter, they are by subject, like cooking, animal husbandry, and so forth and then they are sorted alphabetically. Your job also entails putting the books back in place and helping people find books they want... and thats mostly it, any other questions that come up you can just ask me or felix. Both of us are in the back, most likely repairing books.” Coren nodded. “I'll be able to handle it from here then.” Jack nodded and walked towards the back of the library as coren sat down behind the desk, telling himself that it couldn't be that bad.

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"
"Me speaking nader canoch!"

Real life is kicking me in the can at the moment. posting is delayed. sorry for the inconvienience.
Coren
journeyman mage

Words: 294771
Joined roleplay: July 27th, 2011, 7:33 pm
Race: Human, Vantha
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Coren on August 25th, 2011, 2:52 pm

Bells passed without a person entering the library, forcing coren to look for something to keep himself busy, something that didn't entail closing his eyes and taking a nap, he didn't doubt that felix would get on his case if he slept on the job. So he just dropped his chin into his hand and let his eyes wander over his desk. A small pile of paper, a quill, the ledger on which he needed to note who took which books and some ink was all neatly stacked on his desk. Nothing he could keep himself busy with for a long while. And he didn't have the will to get up and go look through the entire library for something that would interest him, it probably would take him to long to find something anyway.

He let out a bored sigh as he leaned back into his chair, making himself comfortable as he settled himself in the chair as comfortably as he could, just waiting for a person to enter the library and hopefully make his day a bit more interesting. Unfortunately for him time just continued to tick away and nobody came. And after a few moments of hesitation he grabbed the quil, ink and a sheet of paper from the small pile. If he wasn't doing anything at all he might just as well practice his glyphing a bit, he hadn't used any of it aside from drawing focusing glyphs to aid his projection.

He decided to draw a focus glyp first, those where the ones he used the most and he still regularly screwed those up. He shuffled a few things out of the way so that he had enough room to comfortably draw before dipping the quill in the ink and getting started.
Trying to draw a decent circle from which to base the rest of the glyph on was more difficult then it seemed and heended up with something that looked more like a stumped egg then a real circle.
Coren clicked his tongue in irritation as he tried again, he didn't want to get used to drawing malformed runes.

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"

Real life is kicking me in the can at the moment. posting is delayed. sorry for the inconvienience.
Coren
journeyman mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Coren on September 3rd, 2011, 4:47 pm

It had taken coren a long time but eventually he managed to draw a circle that would do for his purposes. But he wasn't happy about the fact he had almost used up an entire page with his failures before he had been able to draw something that was up to his standards. How would he ever be able to master the sigils if he couldn't draw them quickly and efficiently?
Coren let out a sigh as he dipped the quill in the ink pot again, maybe he should go looking for somebody who could learn him the basics of drawing, it would make making those glyphs a lot easier. Pushing that thought away for later he focused back on the task at hand, finishing his glyph.

Putting a small dot on eight points on the circle that he would connect to make the octagon, having found out it was a lot easier to draw the octagon if he just needed to connect the dots. Putting his pen back to paper and focused on keeping the lines straight.
“Heya mister!” A high and anoyingly loud voice suddenly spoke up, letting his hand slip and pull a black line straight through his hard work. Looking up from his paper he glared at the orgin of the annoying sound. A young vantha girl that gave a way to wide grin to him for it to be natural.
“Hello little girl.” Coren ground out, trying to keep the growing urge to slaughter her for ruining his hard work out of his voice. “How can I help you?”

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"

Coren
journeyman mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Coren on September 19th, 2011, 9:15 pm

The little girl just continued smiling at him with that way to big smile of her for a few more moments before she held up the book she was holding up. Giving him a better view of it.
“I wanted to loan this book and you didn't respond when I asked nicely.” she said in a cheery tone, prompting coren to roll his eyes. Sure he might have missed a few people coming in, but he doubted he wouldn't have noticed a voice that annoying.
“Right, well I can't loan out a book to a young child like you, I need one of your parents to take responsibility. For it.” Coren raised an eyebrow as he looked around around for a bit not seeing anybody else at the moment. “One of your parents is with you right now aren't they?” The little girl nodded before darting off towards the bookshelves. Loudly yelling for her mother.
“Well there goes the peace and quiet.” Coren muttered to himself as he rubbed his temples. And patiently waited for the little girl to come back with her mother.

He didn't have to wait for to long before she came back, a apologetic looking woman following behind her.
“I'm really sorry if my daughter caused any trouble.” Coren just shook his head and waved those concerns away. While she managed to annoy him in only a few moments she didn't really cause any trouble, except maybe being very loud.
“Eh don't worry about it, just give me your name and the book so I can sign it out and get that little spawn of chaos out of here.” The woman gave him a smile and bend over to grab the book her daughter was still clutching and handed it over to him. “My name is Nyla iceglaze.” Coren nodded and wrote down the information he needed on the. Handing the book back towards the woman, who as quickly as possible guided her daughter out of the building.
Coren on the other hand just bend back over his paper, hoping to salvage his glyph's.

"I'm speaking vani"
"I am speaking common"

Coren
journeyman mage

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Guest Storyteller (1)

Postby Growl on September 21st, 2011, 3:07 am

Appreciation Time!

Name: Coren

Experience: +1 Glyphing, +1 Socializing, +1 Interrogation
Lore: First Day on the Job, Being Interrupted

Additional Notes: Please watch your posts, there were a number of typos. Also, it would be a bit easier to read this if you separated your paragraphs. I would have awarded more, but the thread was short, and not too detailed. And you were well, interrupted while practicing your magic. PM with questions or concerns!
I carry the words of the dead.
Growl
Lost Soul

Words: 167857
Joined roleplay: April 27th, 2011, 12:51 pm
Race: Staff account
Office