Taking a Chance on a Stranger (Canali)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Tessa Poe on August 29th, 2011, 7:59 pm

OoCThis is a Guest Modded thread for Canali, permission has been given via the helpdesk. Just thought I'd say in case someone else saw this and wondered what I was doing.

Timestamp: 50th Summer 511AV - Late Evening

It was a warm, sweaty evening in Sunberth's back alleys, the heat of the day not quite gone beneath the cloud filled sky. With Leth hidden away behind them the night was dark, and for Sunberth at least fairly quiet. At least until a frantic series of footsteps sounded in the alleys of Sunberth, booted feet slapping against the cobblestones and matched with gasping breaths. Clearly someone's night wasn't going well, so far so typical in Sunberth then. As the footsteps rounded the corner a figure of middling height was revealed, swathed in a worn, black hooded cloak with its arms cradled protectively in front of it. The hood was up, hiding the mystery person's face as it glanced from side to side nervously, its frame beneath the cloak still clearly tense for a moment, before it finally sagged against a wall in relief. Apparently whatever they'd been running from had given up the pursuit. There was a soft whimper from inside the cloak and the figure leant forwards, gently rocking whatever it was holding from side to side as the sound of a soft voice came, singing something that sounded almost like a lullaby. Suddenly the little tableau wasn't exactly typical Sunberth.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Words: 241539
Joined roleplay: July 21st, 2011, 8:32 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Canali on August 29th, 2011, 8:39 pm

Sliding through the darkness, hugging the shadows like a lover. Feet pitter pattering softly on cobble stone. Short, barely there breaths. Quickly shifting eyes. Dark clothes. Fast beating heart. Straining ears.

Tucking back against the worn, peeling old house behind her, Canali listened for a long moment. Had there be feet? Who else was out this time of night? Were they armed? Of course they were armed! Nobody went around Sunberth anymore without at least a blade ready for battle. Even she herself had a silver edge pressed against her thigh, strapped there with a slice of fabric. Dark pants and a cloak hid Canali from view as she edged along the street. Killers were out this time of night; seeking their next naïve, easy prey. Even the prostitutes knew better than to stay out for too longer after dark… If they wanted to see the light of day again and live on to be like the elder whores. Most were either holed in an tavern for the night or an inn, staying well out of harm's reach behind locked doors and closed windows.

Sure she had heart feet slapping fanatically against the hard ground, Canali swore mentally with a flourish of words a sailor would have been proud of. No one made that much noise, thus she could easily conclude this was the prey. Wherever someone was being hunted, there was always a hunter not too far behind. Tucking back against the wall, keeping her head down as the skin would reflect, Canali waited, straining to hear what was going on. This was none of her business, but a prickle of worry for said prey trickled down her spine when the running stopped. Keeping the cloak hood over her head, Canali slowly inched forwards; toes barely touching the ground. No, she would hate to step on a piece of trash or create a loud noise, less the hunter was still around.

The dark blackness threatened to gag her as it playfully stole away whatever sight was still left on this cloudless night. Even if it had been a new moon and only stars shown ahead, the light would have helped some. Instead, Canali was left to blindly feel her way along the wall, using the pads of her fingers and the tips of her toes to gently probe ahead of her. Warm breath exhaled slowly, softly, silently from her nostrils, lips pressed closed tightly. Trying to pinpoint exactly where the.. Singing? Petching hell, this person had a death wish for sure. Eyes flickering from place to place, ears straining. There. To the right. The next alley.

Body stiff, Canali peeped around the corner. Shadows from her hood kept the bright glow of her face hidden. Someone was huddled on the ground… Rocking? Had she come to save an insane person? Where was the hunter? Surely within yelling distance. Jumping when, quite a ways, away, there was a bang before the yowl of a stray animal's pained voice, Canali held in the frightened gasp. Like a racehorse, her heart threatened to jump from her chest. Staring hard at the person, Canali figured he or she was harmless. Well… As harmless as one could be in this city. Stepping bravely around the corner, Canali noted she had the only exit of the alleyway.

"Quit petching singing," popped from Canali's mouth in a hushed whisper before she could stop it.
Last edited by Canali on August 30th, 2011, 6:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
This account is being retired. If you would like to contact me, please do so through the account of Lacai. Thank you.
Canali
Dont Make Me Get The Pan!

Words: 152746
Joined roleplay: April 17th, 2011, 4:11 am
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tessa Poe on August 29th, 2011, 11:41 pm

The signing suddenly cut off as the figure's head whipped up, staring at where the whispered instruction had come from. It was obvious she hadn't heard Canali's stealthy approach. Another soft whimper came from within its cloak as it shuffled backwards away from the harsh whisper, its body tense beneath the cloak once more. One of its arms stayed cradled protectively to its chest, the other dived inside its cloak and came out with something that glittered in the little light that there was. Anyone with any knowledge of blades and what they looked like would realise that it wasn't designed for this particular situation, being a kitchen knife as it was, but it still seemed honed to a razor sharpness and it seemed likely that the figure holding it meant to use it. "Stay back... I... I won't let you have him. I'll die before I... I let you take him from me." It was a woman's voice that spoke, strangely musical even with shaking that was probably due to nerves. In a mirror of her voice the knife's point wobbled and dipped in her shaking hand, she was scared, terrified even. She backed away, crabwalking in her crouch and throwing a look over her shoulder, she knew she was cut off, knew there was no way out of the blind alley she'd blundered into, but still it didn't look like she was about to give up any time soon.
Last edited by Tessa Poe on September 1st, 2011, 9:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Canali on August 31st, 2011, 5:47 pm

Canali wasn't surprised by the show of a blade. However, she nearly laughed out loud when she realized it was just like the one used for cutting up food back at camp. However, instead of giving into the humor, Canali raised both of her own skinny hands to show she wasn't a threat. Stepping into the alley way slowly, cautiously, as if dealing with a wild animal, Canali slipped out of sight from the regular street-way. No use in attracting more attention than was necessary, was the reasoning. Keeping both hands in the air, Canali tried to scan over the woman's scared face.

Who was she? And… Did she have a baby in those arms? Trying to think quickly on why someone would be out and about at this time of night, with a young child, and scared out of their whits, Canali could only come up with one conclusion; This woman was an escapee. A slave. A servant. Someone who mostly was snatched from their homeland by a stranger they trusted and thrown onto the nearest ship with tight shackles and heavy chains. This woman probably had all of her trust in strangers destroyed like a malfunctioning tool.

"Easy. If I wanted to hurt you, don't you think I would have already?" A pause hung like yesterday's wash between the pair as Canali cautious edged forwards. There was no reason to get stabbed tonight by someone who Canali could easily walk away from and let her be taken in the middle of the night; whatever she was trying so desperately to protect and keep Canali from taking.

"You're not going to believe me, but I really have no idea what you're talking about." Voice at a whisper lest to attract more attention than was necessary, Canali continued, "I overheard you singing. Sunberth is more dangerous than an eypharian with multiple double bladed weapons. Even more so at night." Reaching up with slow movements, she slowly lowered her hood. "Please. I have no need to hurt you or take whoever you are talking about from you." Taking the last possible route, Canali let her words form in a plea, "I'll even help you out, give you a few mizas to let you get out of town or at least rent an Inn room." Just put the knife down, lay unspoken. Canali felt an indecipherable need to help this woman, to get her out of Sunberth or at least off the streets for the night.
This account is being retired. If you would like to contact me, please do so through the account of Lacai. Thank you.
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tessa Poe on September 1st, 2011, 9:32 am

In a sudden rush the tension seemed to flow out of the woman once Canali had raised her hands, showing them to be empty and then pulled back her hood. She sagged with relief and the wavering knife point dropped to touch the cobbles beneath them as she sat back, though she still held it in a tight grip. She wasn't stupid enough to put it away in front of a stranger in this city. A shiver ran through her as the adrenaline started to fade and she shook her head free of the hood, a cascade of black hair with flashes of purple highlights falling free and covering her face for a moment before she flicked it aside. An olive toned and delicate face was revealed, thin almost to the point of being gaunt. Whoever she was she clearly hadn't been getting enough to eat for quite some time. Wrinkles and worry lines spider webbed their way from the corners of her eyes and across her forehead beneath her low hairline, lending extra years to her otherwise youthful appearance. However, it was her eyes though that really stood out. They seemed to be slowly shifting shade, from a dark gold to lustrous green and back again, the colours seeming to blend and spiral around each other as she watched Canali for several long moments in silence. "I... am sorry, stranger." She spoke common with an odd accent, that same musical quality riding beneath it just as before, more pronounced now that she seemed a little calmer.

The tip of her tongue darted across her lips nervously as she paused, weighing her words carefully before she spoke again. "I... yes... maybe you can help me. I cannot leave this place, he would come for me, he has always done so before and..." Her voice suddenly picked up pace as it left the Common Tongue behind, her words almost sounding like a song, similar to the lullaby she'd been singing before, but with a harsh, strident tone to it now. Her eyes shifted again, practically burning with a deep scarlet hue and she tensed again, almost shaking with what was most likely anger given the expression that ran clearly across her face. Each word in the strange tongue was bitten off, hinting at hatred and derision for whatever or whoever she was speaking about. It was only when the whimpers started up from within her cloak again that she finally snapped her jaw shut and leant forwards, hunching over whatever she had within it and making soft hushing sounds over it. She started gently rocking the bundle from side to side once more, visibly gathering herself before she continued. "I am sorry, stranger, my name is Menill... and please, I must ask... will you help me? I have nowhere else to turn and I cannot let him suffer my fate. Please… please help me." Her tone had become a mixture of hope and need, her eyes shifting colour once more, the dark crimson leaking away as they returned to a deep emerald shining the darkness. She crouched there, staring up at Canali with an intense look of desperation in them that matched the tone of her voice.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Canali on September 4th, 2011, 2:49 am

Canali cautiously made her way deeper into the alleyway, eyes constantly on the woman. It was getting later. She knew, even if the woman didn't, that barely anyone made it through a Sunberth night. Tiptoeing the small distance between them, Canali closed in slowly; in case the woman decided to pull another weapon, perhaps one that was actually meant to be used as such, from inside her cloak. The dagger strapped tightly against Canali's leg felt heavy and weighted down.

Glancing up at the roof tops nearby, as they were used as the runway for drug dealers, which she knew of personally, and for robbers as they escaped from their victims. No one stood above them or on the closer roofs, which Canali could see. Figuring it was dark enough to where they wouldn't see the pair either but willing to take no chances, Canali tucked her cloak's hood back up. Having the white glow of her pale skin give them away when the woman was obviously scared to death of being found, was not a good idea at all.

Snapping back to the present, Canali eyed the afore mentioned woman. Would she have stabbed her? Somehow, Canali doubted the woman would have went through with the physical infliction of pain and agony. She seemed too… Motherly.

"Call me Canali," burst from her lips before she could help it when the woman called her "stranger". If she was to be helping this lady, shouldn’t they be on first name basis? As she burst into some strange, foreign language Canali had never heard before, Canali was lulled by the almost… Lyrical tones. Going from high pitched to low, and back again. She was transfixed, almost. Squatting next to the other female, Canali waited until she had done speaking before asking softly, "May I see him?" Holding out her arms, Canali had a sneaking suspicion tonight would change the course of her life. And even though she shouldn't, Canali knew she couldn't just walk away and leave this strange pair to fend for themselves.

"And what can I do?"
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tessa Poe on September 5th, 2011, 9:52 am

The knife dropped with a soft ringing clattering sound against the cobbles as Menill slumped, sitting back against the wall in a half collapse. Her head lolled back, the last of the tension that had been running through her vanishing as she stared up at the cloud filled skies, her face entirely devoid of expression. She seemed to be shivering, though the warm night couldn't be responsible for that, it was most likely a delayed reaction to her apparent flight from the mystery 'him'. She finally looked back at Canali nodding as she gave her name, and then once more in answer to her question. Her now free hand pulled open her cloak to reveal a child cradled in one arm, held against the simple and much patched dress she wore, his head resting in the crook of her elbow, his body wrapped in a cloth sling that sat across her shoulders. "Well met Canali." Was all she said as she carefully gathered him up and offered him to her waiting hands, worry still painted clearly across her face, mixed with hope perhaps as her eyes kept on with a mad swirl of green and yellow.

The child was of a similar colouring to his mother's with a mop of curly, dark hair with a shimmer of vibrant gold running through it. His eyes were a match for hers too, slowly shifting colour from a light, vibrant green to an almost joyous burnt orange as they glanced around with an evident curiosity. He giggled softly, as he was passed over with Menill looking on, practically hovering over Canali with a pinched, worried expression. "His name is Istalen... his father's name. He has no Hold." There was a surprising, biting bitterness to her last four words, and for a moment her eyes flashed to that deep crimson, her lips pulling themselves into some manner of snarl. Clearly that wasn't a subject she wanted to discuss. She took a deep breath and let it out with a sigh, her eyes fading back to the more common colouring they'd had so far before she started speaking again, an almost heart breaking misery underlying each clearly spoken syllable. "We are not here of our own will. I was... taken, two years ago now, after I left the Hold with a man my mother and father had not chosen for me. The way was hard but he and I had each other and we thought that was enough... until they came. They slew him while he tried to protect me. I begged him not to, but he wouldn't listen." She spoke simply, without embellishment, letting the words themselves tell her story rather than overdramatizing it. "For months I wore chains as we travelled and my belly swelled, their joy when they realised my 'condition' was... it was the end. Far from Hold and family I thought on taking my own life, but I could not, not with him still growing inside me. For a year now, I have lived in this city and I know... I shall die here. Such is my fate. But, I cannot, I will not allow that same fate to fall on him. I... he... deserves more than this, much more. You might think I'm mad, to ask a stranger what I'm going to, but I have no other choice. It must be done, for even the hope that he lives free, small as it might be, is better than the certainty of his life here. I refuse to watch him grow in bondage to..." and again her words shifted to that other language with a spitting growl, while the words themselves might have been meaningless to Canali, the tone and the venom laced within them spoke volumes.

She paused once more, running her hand through her hair as the dim light flashed through its highlights, her eyes a riot of ruby and sapphire, practically glowing with the intensity of it. She glanced down at her feet, seeming to study the details of the worn slippers that barely covered her feet before she seemed to gather herself and look up at Canali, her eyes searching for hers beneath the cowl of her cloak. “I do not know you Canali… but you have not sought to harm or threaten me when many others in your place would have done. Please… please will you take him from this place, from this city? Will you give him the chance for a life free of… of my fate? I have some money, not much, but it will help, it’s all I have. Please, help me. Help him.” She was practically begging as she made her request, knowing full well what it would entail for Canali and how unlikely it was that she’d accept. But she had to try, for her son, and if Canali said no? Then she’d brave the streets again and hope that there was another who might.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Canali on September 7th, 2011, 1:32 am

Carefully, cautiously, Canali curled the little boy up in her arms. One snaked under him and over again by his feet, to keep him from dangling like a trapeze master. The other arm balanced his head and neck. Babies needed their heads supported at all times. Sure, while old enough to hold up on his own, Canali wasn't taking any chances of accidentally harming him. Surely his mother, Menill, wouldn't hesitate to pierce her skin with the kitchen knife she had wielded before.

Glancing down at the boy, a soft smile slid across her features. How absolutely gorgeous. Such long, dark, eyelashes lay over the color changing eyes. "He's beautiful." A pause hung in the air as Canali reached out with one finger to touch the boy's cheek, finger curled. "Where?" Realizing the woman might not know what she meant, Canali continued, "Where were you taken from?" She had never seen such eyes, much less heard about them.

Lips twisting into a grin when the boy giggled again, Canali felt her heart thump painfully when Menill mentioned him growing into bondage. He would be ruined; spirit broken and whipped into submission. Most likely sold away from his mother, who would be heart-broken. Mayhap even fight to the death to keep it from happening. This could have resulted in Istalen watching the murder with his own rainbow eyes. Gathering the impression of what was coming from Menill's words, Canali was already nodding.

She wasn't quite sure how she would manage to raise a young child such as this, along with teaching him the skills a little boy growing up would be necessary to know. How would she keep him from trouble after he could play in the city by himself? Canali didn't know, but knew with the other members of Crimson Edge nearby, the boy would be in good hands; where he could be protected if something were to happen, and learn the necessary skills to defend himself after he left her nest.

How would he act when he knew Canali wasn't his mother?

Looking at Menill, whose hopeful eyes were shining so brightly; whether it be from tears or hope, Canali just couldn't say no. She couldn't let an innocent child who couldn't fight back, to die in this bloodthirsty city. Grey eyes slid to the child in her arms and Canali nodded,

"Alright."
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Tessa Poe on September 8th, 2011, 9:09 am

Menill blinked slowly at Canali's question, the relief draining from her face and being replaced by a sort of longing as memories she'd have prefered not to resurface did just that. Her tongue darted across her lips, her eyes fading to a dark blue, almost to the point of being black in the enshrouding darkness of the alley. "We... weren't far from the Hold, not more than two week's walk from Avanthal when they found us. We thought... we were ready for anything, we had the supplies we'd need for the journey, and we had each other... what more could we... I'm sorry, Canali... I..." She trailed off seemingly floundering for words as her eyes stared off into the middle distance, still shining that dull blue/black colour. After a few moments she sighed heavily, blinking as she pushed her memories aside and brought her attention back to Canali, still carefully cradling little Istalen in her arms and that brought a strange half smile to her face, one that widened as she agreed to her request. Her son had a chance at safety, at a better life... it was true that for all she knew Canali would simply sell her son on to the next person who asked, or abandon him, or any other number of terrible fates... but for some reason Menill didn't think she would. The way she held little Istalen so close, each touch so gentle, the fact she hadn't simply taken him from her... she knew she'd found the person to care for him, to give him the life she couldn't.

"There are no words to express how grateful I am. If Seiymon heard me say that he'd disagree, and loudly at that, but he was always..." Again that look of almost painful longing flicked across her face as she waved her hand, almost as if she was trying to physically shoo whatever memories had come back away from herself. “But you are not here for stories of the past… thank you Canali, from myself and my late beloved. May Morwen keep you safe, though I do not know how much power she has in this place.” She reached inside her cloak, her hand fumbling inside it before returning with a small leather purse and laying it on the ground between them with the audible clink of Miza against Miza. Her small and heavily calloused hands untied it, revealing a flash of a scattering of copper and silver with something else settled in amongst them. Carefully she lifted it, holding it up so Canali could see it shining pristine and white. It was a small figure of a woman holding a child, simply carved and yet all the more poignant for it. Around its base were carefully carved letters, certainly not in Common. “The last of my work, my last piece of whale bone, for him, so that he knows he had a mother who loved him. The words… a little piece of who he is, from a time he’ll never remember, and most likely will never understand.” Tears were gathering at the corners of her eyes as she stretched out her arms, not needing to say why. That much was obvious. Still, there wasn’t a sign of hesitation in her beneath the misery, she’d made her decision and it seemed she was going to stick to it no matter what, no matter how much it clearly hurt.
Tessa Poe
The Neurotic Wanderer

Character sheet
Scrapbook
Donor (1)

Postby Canali on October 26th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Canali placed the small Vantha into his waiting mother's arms. Menill seemed to need the last few precious seconds to give up… Everything. Canali couldn't comprehend how a slave had to give up everything to have nothing in the hopes of anything. A slave was forced to abandon everything, taking from their home or workplace without a sense of hesitation. Whips, chains, and shackles were common just from what her dark eyes had seen at the slave market. The masters were usually harsh and wouldn't pause before delivering a deadly blow. Even though she didn't understand it, Canali knew, if given the chance, she would have a slave. Sure, s/he might be treated more like a friend than a personal servant, she wouldn't let herself feel guilty if she did buy one. By nature, she wasn't a mean person. Everyone has mean sides when angry, but Canali doubted she would deliberately strike a servant. No. Just thinking about it made her queasy and feel guilty.

It wasn't necessary, but Canali whispered into the thickening darkness, "I'll keep him safe." Perhaps have Antar teach her how to fight and defend herself. Maybe even dig through her belongings and try to find the thick, skillet pan she had murdered a thief with awhile ago. A laugh threatened to bubble up at the memory, tangling with the guilt. The poor man had wanted their money to… Most likely waste it on gambling and addictive drugs. More often than not, in the unruly streets of Sunberth, whatever rare mizas crossed a path were spent in a futile attempt to live. Canali had seen a lot of those users cross her path in life, supplied by her father. They were dangerous, determined to get the dosage which was slowly driving them insane.

Glancing around, Canali slowly reached out to tug the child from Menill's arms. "We must go. It is getting late, too late to wander around much farther. I wish you the best of luck in finding a way." Ignoring the little voice screaming inside of her skull of how the woman would just die, Canali scooped up the boy and curled him inside of her cloak. One arm was around his bottom, supporting him and keeping him pressed against her chest. Warm, moist breath tickled her collar bone. In the past few moments before doing so, Canali had slid the coins and whale bone carving inside of her leather backpack where they were safe. Readjusting to be more comfortable with the newest package laying on her, Canali leaned forwards and pressed two dirty fingers against Menill's sweating forehead. "Take care. I will tell him of you, when he is old enough."

And then she was gone, taking with her Menill's past.

The darkness was suffocating and threatened to clog Canali's nostrils. She kept both arms wrapped around the bundle, just in case. The streets were empty, deserted and the moon was too high. A sense of rushing slid over her, filling her like a warm broth. Part of the way back to camp, a group of thudding boots sprinted past her, voices low and murmurs. They were headed in the direction of Menill. After they passed, Canali uncurled from the shadows against the wall and continued on. One thought was sent back,

May Morwen, whoever she is, keep you safe, Menill.
Canali

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Next