[Gossamer's Scrapbook] The Ethereal Canyon

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The player scrapbooks forum is literally a place for writers to warm-up, brainstorm, keep little scraps of notes, or just post things to encourage themselves and each other. Each player can feel free to create their own thread - one per account - and use them accordingly.

Postby Gossamer on June 17th, 2017, 4:35 pm

Hi Folks!

I just wanted to make a quick post to let everyone know I've just come through what has started to be my annual lung infection and I've made it through to the other side. I think I'm completely caught up. So if I promised anyone anything or anyone is waiting on anything from me... I've frankly hopelessly forgotten. Just let me know what you need or are waiting for and I'll see if I can catch up on it this weekend.

My next step is to get some of the threads that have been lagging caught up in terms of moderation posts, and move forward there. I will also need to get my PCs going this season as well.

Anyhow, thank you for the patience!

Goss
Image]
"There's a place that I go that nobody knows where the rivers flow.
And I call it home. And there's no more lies. And the darkness is light. And nobody cries. There's only butterflies."

BBC CodeHelp DeskStarting GuideRiverfallSyka
Special ProjectsCyphrus Coordination
Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Words: 4755311
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:40 pm
Blog: View Blog (24)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 9
Featured Thread (1) Artist (1)
Trailblazer (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Hyperposter (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on July 9th, 2017, 5:43 am

Busy Busy Busy

When you live in the Pacific Northwest, rain is a way of life. We had the wettest June on record and have had the wettest year to date. We finally dried up the very end of June and when Gillar (my hubby) had an opportunity to VL from work (due to it being slow over the 4th Holiday). He asked me what I thought of it. I jokingly said he could but only if he prepared to do some serious work around the house... like rent a Bobcat and go to work on the outside because the outside needed some serious upkeep.

You see... we have these delightful creatures. They eat copious amounts of hay and produce huge amounts of manure. Now, in the Northwest when everything is flooded you can't get a wheelbarrow out into the pasture or even drive one across the lawn thats loaded because you'll sink in the mud. As a result the runs off our stalls - the turn outs - got overly full of huge piles of manure.

So what we do is every year we rent a skidsteer or bobcat and clean them out. The piles go into trucks for gardens owned by our friends and family that don't have these hayburners or out into the pasture to be spread out to improve the quality of the soil to grow better grass for the hayburners to eat.

Gillar decided a week off playing with heavy equipment was more fun than say working the drudgery that is our job. We're all a little burned out because our vacation season doesn't start hot and heavy until August. Then I have tons of it until Christmas were it slows down again. Yea... our busy season is August 15-about December 15th so we schedule vacation then because we can get away from it when its really sucky.

So... Gillar messed around last weekend (I was busy) and then Monday... and tues this little toy showed up. He had a ton of fun cleaning out the runs and they looked FANTASTIC when he got done with them. Then I had a local gravel company deliver two truck loads of sand before I realized two loads of 24 yards wasn't going to do it justice.

We had them bring two more. So in the end there were four piles like this. Gillar had two sides of the barns and their runs to fill and one pile did about one quarter. Check it out. Look at the awesome job he did prepping for the sand! The sand is to control the flooding so it will drain off better once we start getting rain again.

After four piles of sand came, we had two truckloads of gravel also delivered. Our driveway and parking pads are paved. Even the barn is paved. But the road to the barn was grass and very much overgrown. It's now nicely rocked thanks go the driver doing a great job of spreading the rock and Gillar running the bobcat around and making it just about perfect.

The chickens are also getting re-sanded. They'll love a new layer of gravel in the chicken palace.

Then.... we had this huge place we called the pit. Historically it was an old building that probably fell down or burned down and all that was left was a foundation. The previous owners of our property used it as a trash heap or burn pit and it was literally filled with deadly objects that would mess a horse up. So we used the bobcat to break up the foundation and to dig out and sort the pit materials out. We made two huge piles... one to burn (old fence posts/boards) and one to haul to the dump (old fencing, an old wood stove, barrels, old tube fencing, and a whole host of odd things like a circa 1980s light sabre). That was a ... hell of a job. But the pit is officially no more. And now our horse run instead of wrapping AROUND the pit is running square through where it used to be which gives the end stall of the barn a huge run and the chickens another potential chicken yard when we want to expand.

I'm super happy. Tomorrow we are drilling post holes (I rented a ground hog to make it easier) and putting in new run fencing on the pit side and running posts through where the pit area was and cross fencing the horse runs so each stall has their own turn out.

Hopefully we'll be done tomorrow or more likely after we haul the dump piles away next week. I'm telling you this because that way you'll understand why I haven't been online for a few days because after work I've been tearing down fencing and dragging trash around and basically coordinating rentals, the delivery of gravel, etc etc etc etc.

I'll post more pics when we get it all done and the cross fencing accomplished. :)
Image]
And I call it home. And there's no more lies. And the darkness is light. And nobody cries. There's only butterflies."

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on July 16th, 2017, 11:47 pm

Hay Time

It's ridiculous how busy I've been lately. This weekend I worked all day Saturday and we started putting up hay since everyone and their brother is cutting hay in the northwest. Its been rain free for a while with no rain in sight so its prime field picking time. We put away 7.5 tons roughly one trailer load at a time. The barn is full. I'm tired. But I'm happy that there's no more runs to the feed store because our supply of hay ran out months ago.

Anyhow... just saying that's why I've been busy. I always like to post pictures because sometimes people say the things I'm always doing seem far fetched. But you feed three big horses all year and ask yourself how much hay will it take. It takes a lot. And 7.5 tons will play out long before the haying season comes again.

Image]

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Thunderspork (1)

Postby Gossamer on July 17th, 2017, 3:23 am

Nothing Says Summer In The West More Than...

Idling your dodge 4x4 down the center of two rows of hay bales in a freshly cut field. The truck is in 4L so you don't have to work the clutch as it crawls forward and the guys walking alongside throw hay onto a trailer while someone stacks it up neatly.

This is the good life...

Image]

Gossamer
Words reveal soul.

Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes