Brothers by the Blood of Horses (Sama'el)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Postby Vanator on September 23rd, 2011, 1:08 pm

Timestamp: 7th Day of Fall, 511 AV

Summer clung to the plains in a bath of warm sunlight. But the shortening days, and the telling coolness in the light breeze, foretold of the season's inevitable passing. Inspired by the beauty of the morning, Vanator had strapped his yvas on Nyx, intending to work with his new strider outside of the tent city. Having learned his lesson after the incident in the collapsed tunnels outside Endrykas, the Denusk had donned his leather armor, and brought along his compliment of supplies and arms. Sometimes, even an old dog needed reminded of the dangers that always lurked in the tall grass of the Sea.

As Vanator wove through the bannered pavilions of the Sapphire clan, a whim took the drykas on a different route than usual towards the gates. Vanator believed Sama'el still resided at the edge of the Sapphire encampment. Denen had settled as well in the young man's fledgling pavilion, and he had not seen either man recently. It was his hope that the healer would be willing to deliver Khiara's baby, just as he had helped Kashik birth Zivatar. But Sam was who Van hoped to catch. Since the hunts in the past seasons, the older drykas had watched the young Sama'el reintegrate into drykas society.

But there were whispers that Sama'el may be fixing to leave. Van knew the young man had been to Riverfall recently, even to Sanctuary. Maybe it was time to check in with the Rider, he had promised Eldon he would keep an eye on Sam after all.

The Denusk lead Nyx into Sam's camp. Not seeing the man, he called out. "Sam!"
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on September 24th, 2011, 6:09 am

The dark head in question popped up from behind a tent like a prairie dog peeking above ground for predators, but once he caught sight of the familiar Vanator, he strode out quickly to greet him, leather and a thick needle in hand. Apparently he was at work on something. His education with leather was still incomplete, but Utine was a busy woman and he a busy young man. Had he time, he might skin, tan, and then prepare the leather under her exacting eye, but duty called him north and there just wasn't time. Raiha had chicks to spare and he needed protection from talons if he was going to learn to be a proper falconer.

Sama'el grinned at his fellow clansman.

"Ho, Vanator! Good timing. What can I do for you?"

Ledger Note :
Leather, Common, Armor Grade -- 1 lb. -- 1 gm
Sama'el Sunsinger
Not all those that wander are lost.

Words: 718167
Joined roleplay: March 15th, 2010, 6:26 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Vanator on October 7th, 2011, 6:14 pm

Vanator's face split into a wide grin as Sama'el appeared. The Denusk appeared to have interrupted the younger man in the middle of a task, glancing down at the lace and leather in Sam's hand. "I see you have your hands occupied, but I hope to convince you to lay it aside, for a while at least."

Van approached Sam and gave him a clap on the shoulder. Van looked up at the tall horseman, searching his brown eyes for some indication of his well being, but his gaze revealed nothing. "Summer is fading quickly, I want to spend some time in the grass before it all goes brown. Why don't you fetch Dohaina and we can get a good ride in. Maybe you can teach this old dog some riding tricks! "

Some time away from the pavilion, the family, was a welcomed thought. But a companion would be even better, and Sam was a good choice, a drykas with much wisdom and experience for his years. Nyx drew close, nudging Van roughly, as if the strider stallion too was anxious to spread his leg in the Sea. Vanator elbowed the horse in the shoulder, tossing the strider a scowl. "What do you say Sam?" Vanator asked before vaulting into his yvas, causing Nyx to prance.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 9th, 2011, 7:23 pm

"Ahh, was just going to make myself some shoulder and arm guards... Raiha's giving me a kestrel fledgling and I value my hide." But he set the work aside for later; the young bird waited in Riverfall, and he was sure he could rig the things up rather quickly. They wouldn't be pretty, but it would be good practice all the same, and he was more worried about the utilitarian aspect of his work at this point. Function first.

He smiled at the clap on his shoulder. Though he had a few inches on Van, the elder warrior was thicker with muscle than he was. Perhaps it was his light, whipcord frame that helped him ride so fleetly. He whistled and Horse came trotting up. Rather than wasting time saddling the Windrunner, the barefoot Watchman vaulted carefully onto his back with his usual acrobatic flair.

"Dohaina's pregnant," he said. "I'm going to bring her and the new Semes up to the Sanctuary so Kavala and Riki can watch them while I ride north for that ghost guardian of hers. So it'll be just Horse and me again. Well, and a few tagalongs. Hopefully I can get to Avanthal before Winter even with tagalongs."

He and Horse both seemed comfortable enough with the bareback situation, and Sama'el just smiled expectantly.

"Ready, old dog?" he asked, though there was a note of respect in the way he said it. An old dog among the Drykas was a tough, wily dog who could survive the harshness of the Sea of Grass. Sama'el wanted to be like Vanator.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Vanator on October 13th, 2011, 3:48 pm

Vanator had heard of Sama'el's recent return from Riverfall. His mention of Raiha confirmed he also visited Santuary, and most likely his sister. Van was always anxious to hear any news he could from Sanctuary, and Kavala. "Did you see Kavala, is she well?" The Denusk asked, watching as the younger man launched atop his mount with enviable ease. Van, in turn pulled himself onto his strider stallion, the palomino prancing again, anticipating the open grass.

As the men settled upon their horses, Vanator looked to Sama'el with a surprised expression. "Avanthal...you are going to Avanthal, for Kavala?" His head shook a bit in disbelief. "What in the Ukalas for?" Such a journey would be long and dangerous. Van huffed. Sam had been making dangerous journeys all his life.

Khiara had yearned for seasons to visit her family in north, worried that they now believe her to be dead. Vanator had intended to take her to Avanthal, but his responsibilities, he and Kashik's new son, and now Khiara's own pregnancy made the long journey to the holds out of the question. In desperation, he had promised his vanthan wife to find a way to get word to her family that she was alive and well and happy. Perhaps Khi's goddess was indeed watching over her, as a trusted friend now presented the opportunity to send a correspondence.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Sama'el Sunsinger on October 19th, 2011, 4:59 am

"She's well enough," he said with a smile as they trotted toward the edge of the tent city. When they galloped, there would be no way to hear over the rush of the wind. He didn't think it would be a breach of trust to share with Kavala's brother, so he elaborated. "There's a ghost, name of Ragnor. He's a sort of... spiritual guardian of your sister's Sanctuary. Apparently his family is in some trouble in Avanthal and the Akalak they sent to bring them down has failed." He made a knowing smile. "Never trust an Akalak to do a Drykas job, eh?"

He wasn't exactly arrogant, but he was developing a bit of the Watch's braggadocio. Lucky for him, he tripped on flat ground too much to develop too big of an ego, and maintained a healthy sense of humor at his own expense.

"Anyway, I agreed to go for her. She's Drykas and the Watch seems to think it might not be a bad idea for some trustworthy information from beyond the plains. The problem is... Denen wants to come, and Luke, a Syliran. And the cousin of the girl I want to marry, she came with me to Riverfall and now wants to go on an adventure. I'm a man of the Watch, but when I put my foot down, nobody listens." He sighed. He got no respect. But he was quick to smile again. "They will slow me down, but I don't mind a bit of company. Horse snores."

Somehow the Windrunner stallion seemed to know the difference between 'horse' and 'Horse', and knew Sama'el well enough that his trot suddenly became jarring and threatened the promise of children in the young man's future. He laughed and swatted Horse across the withers.
Sama'el Sunsinger

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lariat on May 25th, 2012, 2:26 pm

Vanator

Lores:

The Guardian of the Sanctuary

Sama'el

Experience:

Acrobatics: 1 xp

Comments

If you have any questions just send me a pm!
Lariat
The light in the back of your mind

Words: 151849
Joined roleplay: June 4th, 2011, 3:20 am
Race: Staff account
Office