[Flashback] Follow the Sparkling Silver Lights (Solo)

Nashira takes Caleb outside to see the stars.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

Postby Nashira on September 27th, 2011, 3:21 am

Spring 3, 461 AV

Nashira was sitting at the kitchen table, sipping a glass of water as she poured over a book her astronomy professor had lent her. She was reading by the light of a single candle. Its orange flame flickering, casting half the page in its glow, and the rest in shadow. Molten wax dripped down its length, and onto a blank piece of paper Shira had placed beneath it, so that she would not have to scrape the wax drippings away before Caleb got home. Her finger followed beneath the words as her eyes passed back and forth over the page. There was a sketch in the upper right hand corner of a black circle surrounded by a white rim. Several thin lines had been drawn coming out of it, to represent light. But she ignored this, intent on reading the description of what it was. The book read: While on the surface of the earth, a solar eclipse occurs when the Moon passes between the Sun and the Earth, partially blocking the Sun from view. Such an event may only occur during a new moon, when the Sun and Moon are in conjunction as seen from Earth. At least two solar eclipses occur during the course of a natural year. The maximum which may occur is five in a year. However, no more than two can be total eclipses. "Total solar eclipses are nevertheless rare at any particular location because totality exists only along a narrow path on the Earth's surface traced by the Moon's umbra."

A total solar eclipse is something that occurs naturally. Nevertheless, in ancient times, and in some modern cultures, a solar eclipse may be considered a bad omen. Scientists attribute this to the fact that some, who do not understand what is going on, may be frightened by the fact that the sun seems to disappear, and that the sky can darken within a matter of moments.

Types:

There are four types of solar eclipses:

"A total eclipse occurs when the dark silhouette of the moon completely obscures the intensely bright light of the Sun, allowing the much fainter solar corona to be visible." Annular eclipse occur when the Sun and Moon are lined up, causing the moon to appear smaller than the sun. Thus, the sun will appear as a bright ring surrounding the outside of the moon. Much like a frame surrounds a picture. "A hybrid eclipse shifts between a total and annular eclipse. At some points on the surface of the Earth it appears as a total eclipse, whereas at others it appears as annular. Hybrid eclipses are comparatively rare." A partial eclipse occurs when the Sun and Moon are not aligned, causing the moon to block out the sun only partially.

"The Sun's distance from the Earth is about 400 times the Moon's distance, and the Sun's diameter is about 400 times the Moon's diameter. Because these ratios are approximately the same, the Sun and the Moon as seen from Earth appear to be approximately the same size: about 0.5 degree of arc in angular measure."

The moon's orbit around the sun is elliptical...

Nashira's head jerked up when she heard the door creak open, and then slam shut. She smiled weakly as she heard Caleb kicking off his shoes, before heading through the hallway and into the kitchen. "You're home!" Shira called, her voice cheery, her green eyes sparkling with happiness at the sight of her companion. "How was your day Caleb? Catch anything worthwhile in those nets of yours?" she asked. Caleb merely grunted as he walked past her chair, and flopped down on their bed. She could hear it creaking beneath his weight, as his legs dangled over the side, and he spread his arms out in resignation. Nashira sighed as she glanced up from her book, and cast her gaze to him. Well that can't be good, she thought as she pushed her chair back with her feet, causing it to scrape across the floorboards. A moment later, she was on her feet and crossing the kitchen. She lingered in the doorway to their bedroom, glancing down at Caleb as she leaned up against the frame, her shoulders curling into her chest as she folded her arms over it. Her eyes boring into his flesh.

"Rough day huh?" Nashira asked. Caleb merely grunted. "You want to talk about it with me?" Caleb shook his head. Nashira unfolded her arms so as to make herself seem more approachable. You know you want to tell me about your day, she whispered in the recesses of his mind. Poking around the edges as she probed for his inner thoughts. Tried to get to know him enough where she could make her magic more worthwhile. For even though they had lived together for awhile now, and Caleb knew her well enough, there were times where he was still closed off. You know you want to talk to someone about what is on your mind. It may as well be me. Since there is no one else around. Since your secrets will be safe here. In the confines of our cottage.

Caleb sighed. Nashira could see his chest rising and falling slowly as he stared up at the ceiling. As he kept his eyes on nothing. As he kept them on something other than her. "No, I just want to go to bed Shira," Caleb replied, his tone sounding mildly irritated. "I'm rather tired you know. After a day out at sea, working hard. Sweating."

Nashira gave only a slight nod as she strode over to the bed and sat herself beside him. She was careful not to accidently sit on his arm or draw her legs into his body as she pushed them beneath her. "I know Caleb," she whispered, "but I also know, that both of us know you will not sleep well tonight. Not until you've gotten whatever it is you're thinking about off your chest." She smiled weakly down at him, as she extended her right hand, and settled it just below his elbow. Her fingers wound their way around him, strengthening her hold over him. She was sending him messages that he should open up, or at the very least, relax if he was adamant about keeping to himself for the rest of the night. Come on Caleb, you know you want to tell me all of your secrets.

Caleb sighed as Nashira began to stroke his arm slowly, in her best attempt to comfort him, and get her way at the same time. Why not kill two birds with one stone?

OOCI referred to wikipedia for the information on eclipses. I altered all the writing except that which I left in quotes.

P.S. I hope you don't mind her borrowing a book!
P.P.S. Just like last time, all the hypnotism stuff is in italics... if it's a direct thing. Sometimes, if she sends a feeling, I don't use italics.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Words: 145229
Joined roleplay: September 18th, 2011, 12:07 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nashira on September 27th, 2011, 7:23 pm

When Caleb failed to say anything, whether it be in explanation of his mood, or a request for Nashira to back off, Nashira finally broke the silence that stretched out between them. She gripped his arm, near the wrist and urged him up, "come on Caleb, lets get out of bed. I want to show you something." As Shira looked down upon his flesh, she could see his eyes scrunching up in irritation. She could see his muscles bunching around the corners of his eyes as crows feet appeared on his normally smooth skin, and a few of his green veins pulsed just beneath the surface of his skin. She could see them trying to poke out of his forehead, and smiled weakly.

"Nashira, it's late, and I want to go to sleep," Caleb growled. Nashira's smiled only widened, oh come on you grouch. Just get out of bed for me. As a favor. Offer me a few minutes, and no more, so I can show you something that will make each of us happy. Something that will allow each of us to sleep easy tonight.

Nashira began to tug lightly on Caleb's arm, "you will. Just as soon as you see this. We both know you're not really going to sleep in this sort of mood." Just get up already. I don't really want to drag you. You're getting a bit too old and heavy for that sort of thing.

Caleb half-heartedly opened his eyes. "But Nashira!" he groaned.

"Don't you give me that Caleb!" Shira replied in a rather playful tone. "You know I'm right! And you know I won't give up until you get up, off your behind, and do as I ask. Even if it's only for a few minutes." Please. There was only a slight pause, "humor me."

Caleb sighed as he sat himself up. "Alright, what is it you want to show me?" he asked, feigning interest. Nashira turned her head to the side and gave him "the look," the one that told him that he better be nice or there were going to be a few problems. Just pretend to be interested if you must. This is important to me, and I think you'll like it too, once you see them. You may even struggle to take your eyes off them. Just give them a chance, ok?

Nashira then softened her features, and turned into him a little as she slid her one hand downwards, into Caleb's palm. She thread her fingers through his, while she lifted her other hand, and curled all of her fingers with the exception of the pointer into her palm. She then brushed the finger against Caleb's nose, as her smiled returned. "If I told you now, it wouldn't be a surprise, now would it?" she asked as she sprang to her feet and squeezed his hand. "Come on," she said as the fisherman got to his feet. I know you're going to enjoy this.

As Nashira led Caleb through the house and out the door, she kept sending him emotions- happiness, joy, excitement, and pleasure, hoping it would lighten the mood. When the door had been shut silently behind them, Nashira walked only a few paces in front of their cottage, before stopping short. The grass beneath their bare feet flattened beneath their flesh, while other stalks slipped through the spaces between their toes, or crawled out from beneath the edges of their feet. The rest of it swayed softly in the breeze that was carried down from the mountains. Several grains of sand and dirt which lingered in-between the grassy patches rolled softly, silently along as the breeze buffeted against them. Nashira's hair was lifted off her shoulders, it rippled occasionally, matching the lazy undulations of the sea. The way the waves rocked into shore, before crashing into a bed of grey and brown rock. Their edges of their clothes fluttered from time to time, swirling in the wind, trying to get away from their masters.

Nashira gave Caleb's hand another squeeze as she smiled over at him. "Isn't it beautiful?" she asked somewhat breathlessly, as the wind carried the words from her pale lips to Caleb's ears.

Caleb frowned. "You took me outside, to see the sea?" he asked. Nashira gave his hand another small squeeze as she set her green eyes upon it. The water seemed black now that the sun had set. Although the moon cast its center in a milky white glow. Just be patient. Keep your mind open until I have time to explain everything. She could hear the water crashing against the shore from time to time, and the chirps of several crickets off in the distance. If only you take the time, you may actually enjoy something.

Nashira shook her head. "No, I was hoping you'd have the mind to look up."
Last edited by Nashira on September 27th, 2011, 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Nashira on September 27th, 2011, 11:03 pm

Nashira was the first of the two to tilt their head up. Her long, dark brown hair cascaded down her back, inching towards her butt as she took in night's dark blanket. The sky appeared to be mainly black, although strands of deep blue seemed to have been laced throughout. The moon hung just over her head. Its face glowing a milky white. Clots of grey stained the surface, as did rather large craters. It was as though someone had gotten angry and punched the celestial orb repeatedly with a mighty fist. Nashira's caramel colored skin glowed wherever the moon's light touched. Her pupils reflected its surface, and the sight of all the silver, sparkling stars that surrounded it. They seemed to dance, to smile down upon her and her companion. "Aren't they beautiful Caleb?" Shira asked. "The stars?" There was a slight pause. "Sometimes, I think they shine just for us, because if you look at them closely, they seem to shimmer all the more intensely. It's as though they know your eyes are on them, and they burst with excitement because of it."

Caleb smiled weakly as he glanced up at the sky. "You took me outside to see the stars?" he asked, somewhat incredulously. "A sight which I see every... single... day?" Nashira nodded without taking her eyes off them. She gave his hand another small squeeze. I really like them. The night sky is beautiful, if only you bothered to look. "They're only good for guiding me home at night Shira," Caleb commented. "After a day out on Laviku's sea."

Nashira shook her head. "No Caleb, they're so much more than that," Nashira said as she took a moment to look over at him, and he at her. "Professor has been teaching me all about them Caleb. About all of the constellations- a picture or pattern created by a group of stars that are relatively close to each other. He has shown the class pictures of the big and little dipper, apus, scutum... perhaps we could spot a few of them if we looked." She squeezed his hand again and looked up at the sky. You should help me look for them.

Nashira's eyes glanced from one side of the sky, to the other, and then back again. They moved slowly, back and forth, skimming the area. It was as though she were reading a book. The more time she spent studying the sky, the more the stars seemed to jump out at her. The most prominent sparkling so intensely, that it was difficult to pull her eyes off of them at times. After several minutes spent looking, she finally found a group of stars which formed a rectangle. The rectangle seemed to be on a slant, directed towards he moon. Directly above the top right star was another, and on a diagonal line, coming from the bottom right was another. When including the star which was situated above, and slightly towards the right of that last star, the grouping formed a constellation. Smiling excitedly, Nashira raised the hand which was not holding Caleb's and pointed towards the sky. She leaned in a little closer to him, so that her hair brushed up against him, tickling his bare flesh. Their shoulders brushed. "You see that Caleb?" she asked as she pointed. "That grouping of stars right there? To the southwest of the moon?"

Caleb nodded, even though he wasn't certain which group of stars Nashira was pointing to. "That's Crater," the Ethaefal explained. "Or the cup." She gave Caleb's hand another small squeeze as she stared at the constellation. Delta Crateris shining most brightly down upon them, Nashira found that her eyes almost never left it, unless it was to glance over at Caleb's eyes, just so she could see the sky reflected within them. Isn't it romantic? The Ethaefal's smiled widened as her breath came in evenly, her chest rising and falling slowly, softly as she let herself enjoy this quiet moment alone, with Caleb.

"It doesn't look like a cup," Caleb commented.

Nashira pushed their hands into his side as forcefully as she could. "Well you can bring your concerns up to whoever named it," she retorted, her tone only mildly irritated. Caleb snorted, he had no intention of doing such a thing, and both of them knew it. Thus, the fisherman was quickly silenced, and simply, more for Nashira's sake than his own, spent a few more minutes standing outside, looking up at the stars. After awhile, he tugged on her arm, and pointed towards the cottage with his chin. "We should go inside Shira. It's getting late, and we both have to be up early tomorrow."

Nashira nodded, "ok Caleb," she replied as he led her back inside to their room. When they reached the side of their bed, Caleb pulled his hand away from hers, letting Nashira's drop to her side. She stood awkwardly a moment, watching him get into bed before she did so herself and pulled up the covers. She could hear the bed creaking, and feel it sinking as Caleb rolled a little closer to her. He leaned up a little and pecked her on the cheek, "thank you Shira," he whispered in her ear, before rolling back over onto his side of the bed. Nashira could feel her cheek heating up, and imagined it must be a light pink. Without realizing what she was doing, she lifted her right hand to her cheek, and gently pressed her fingers against the space where Caleb had kissed her. She smiled happily. Maybe he loves me too, she thought, before drifting off into a dreamless sleep.

Crater :
A picture of the constellation: Image

On a side note though... this thread just goes to prove how much better more poor pc could do than him... I think. I'd like to hope? *shakes head*
Nashira
Until the Sun Sets...

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Oracle on September 28th, 2011, 5:05 pm

Name: Nashira

XP Award:
  • Astronomy +3
  • Hypnotism +2

Lore:
  • Solar Eclipse (Basic)
  • Solar Eclipe - Folk Lore (Basic)
  • Crater
  • Star Gazing with Loved ones
  • Unrequited Love

Notes: Great read! I really do enjoy seeing the interaction between them and watching their relationship grow. Very knowledgeable as well. Keep up the great work.

Remember when using magic you will overgive almost everytime, if you use it often then you will have some sort of repercussion one way or another, even if it's just a headache.

Just a side note: When reading books about the world, remember that this isn't earth. Substituting the world "planet" might work better. :) Also the same laws may not apply, so feel free to be creative with it. Same goes for the night sky. You have the freedom to come up with new and wonderful things here.

And thank you for citing! Most people forget to do that.

If you have any concerns with this please PM me and let me know. :)

A.S. Oracle
Zeltiva Lore****Zeltiva Forum****The University

Please see my absence thread if I have not responded in some way in over 24 hours
Oracle
AS of Zeltiva

Words: 53472
Joined roleplay: September 4th, 2011, 2:41 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook