Departure. [Flashback]

Some things are better left forgotten.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

The Diamond of Kalea is located on Kalea's extreme west coast and called as such because its completely made of a crystalline substance called Skyglass. Home of the Alvina of the Stars, cultural mecca of knowledge seekers, and rife with Ethaefal, this remote city shimmers with its own unique light.

Departure. [Flashback]

Postby Seven Xu on October 4th, 2011, 9:34 pm

Departure.
Winter 510 AV

“Moz seh krevas dav'ene obris zhevat.”

The words written in blood that streaked down one otherwise pristine wall had been left to crack and dry for several bells before their discovery in the light of early morning. Beneath the hymn lay the eviscerated body of a man in his middle-age, once olive skin turned ash pale, heeding the gruesome realization that Viratas’ blessing had been written with his life. Several swaths of cloth, stained dark with gallons of blood, surrounded the crumpled mass of flesh. It would have taken their owner to know that they were once linens of bleached ivory. Any stranger would think them the deepest, most beautiful vermillion; sheets too lavish for such a simple room.

All of Lhavit heard the Woman’s screams.

Aviakittis: the stolen day.

From the depths of winter came this celebration of thievery from the very calendar itself. Winter afforded them an extra day, perhaps a slip-up by Tanroa herself, or a reward for a year of hard work. On every peak of Kalea’s Diamond, Lhavitians celebrated with foolish acts of impersonation and subtlety; and where trickery ran rampant, gluttony was never far behind.
The twins and the Woman were gone; work had called to them days before and Aviakittis would have to wait until the early hours of morning the next day. By then it would be spring. “See you next season!” Seven had chirped as his beloved sisters left him with his father; they’d laughed, drawing armloads of silk high on their chests to sell at market and clumsily waved their goodbyes.

“Eat,” Zhao’s voice broke through the weave of silence so commonly held by his daydreaming son. “You’re too damned skinny as it is.”
“Not hungry.” Seven’s blatant contempt had earned him the sting of his father’s backhand several times before. “Asho spoke of a spider.”

Spider. Zhao cursed Remiani Asho under his breath. The man was a family friend; one of the few Lhavitians that pitied Zhao rather than scorned him for his mistake. That didn’t seem to stop him from bringing up the incident before the very boy’s ears. An incident Remiani remembered well, as he and Zhao had been close since either could remember. Wine had done its part in loosening lips, and after an evening of dinner, the three men had fallen victim to the whims of alcohol-driven conversation.

“Years ago, boy, your father was as virile as an Okomo in the wet season, if you know what I mean.” Asho’s laughter rang off of the walls in a smooth baritone, his grinning face showcasing a line of teeth as yellow as his eyes, “Aviakittis does strange things to man and creature alike. What was the name of that lovely little Symenestra you bedded a life ago, Xu?” He paused, and before Zhao could respond those fat oily lips burst into song,

The woman he wedded bore no child inside her,
So old Zhao ventured out and bedded a spider,
With sweet cunny like honey and two eyes like red torch,
Zhao fathered a bastard he found on his porch!

It had not been long before Zhao ushered his drunken old friend out of his family home, claiming he had quite enough of his wine, and that his son was feeling rather tired.

“He spoke of my mother,” a bold accusation filled the small dining room and made Zhao’s blood run cold.
The pressed bow of hard lips thought to lie, or dismiss the boy; it had not been the first time he’d asked such a question, but never had the fact been so unceremoniously shoved in both their faces.
“Tell me about her.”
“It’s time to go to sleep.”
“Tell me something.” Had the song not told him enough?

Zhao rocked backward in his chair, allowing it to balance precariously on its back pair of legs as he looked hard into the garnet stare of his son. The boy was growing into the sharper features of manhood, and beneath the layer of moon-pale skin and hair, he could see himself. He could also see Nesyria, trapped forever in those gorgeous eyes.

“Dra-Nesyria Plicata,” Zhao’s brow furrowed as he mumbled the name. It sounded foreign on his tongue. “We met during Aviakittis, at the Red Lantern. After a few Kina, she told me her name, a bit about the hanging city she came from, and then gave me my coin’s worth …” he trailed off, tearing his face from his son’s vice-grip gaze, “She was not supposed to return. You can imagine the look on your mother’s face when you showed up at my door.”
“She isn’t my mother.” Seven’s voice was heavy, but he still managed to protest the Woman’s association with him.
“She raised you.”
“She isn’t. My. Mother!”
“You’re right,” Zhao was at his limit. The boy ran thin on his nerves at the best of times, with his accusations and childish outbursts—he was hardly a man, though he insisted on being called one—wine had loosened his tongue where sobriety had often saved him, so why stop now?
“You’re the bastard son of a whore, who was the bastard daughter of some Widow demonspawn from Kalinor. You were meant to go with her, but she dropped you on me and made a mockery of my reputation and my marriage; of my life. Instead of leaving you to die in the cold, I gave you my last name and raised you into the contemptuous twat you are today. Is that what you wanted to hear? Are you happy now, Dra-Seven? You’re the latest in a long line of pale, venomous bastards.”

Nesyria had all but faded from the vapid stare on a blank face.
Last edited by Seven Xu on October 4th, 2011, 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seven Xu
Rhetoric can't raise the dead.

Words: 567538
Joined roleplay: April 30th, 2011, 11:02 pm
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Thread (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Departure. [Flashback]

Postby Seven Xu on October 4th, 2011, 9:49 pm

A hand reached across the table and gathered Seven’s white jaw in its clammy palm. “You heard me, didn’t you, bastard?” The boy’s vacant stare seemed to fuel the torch that had kindled behind brown eyes. “Had I known you were to be so pretty as a man, I may have sold you off to the brothel like your mother and been done with you. You’re too smart for that now, but I guess that’s my own damn fault.” Strong fingers were liquid fire on his neck, gripping ever tighter until he wrenched himself away. The hand receded, but the heat it left on his pallid skin and the pooling burn beneath his lips did not. Slurred words flowed from the drunken man’s mouth like the rivers that encircled the base of the mountain, a bloated current of insults that drowned out the pounding in his head.

Thump, thump, thump. It was inexorable, all-encompassing, and most of all—painful.

As the verbal onslaught continued, as the man beat his hands against the tabletop in rage, the room around them seemed to fade into obscure blackness, and with it went any recognizable features of the drunken individual beside him. He soon found himself unable to put a name to the rage-stricken face. “Seven.” Seven what? The man repeated the number with a growl and lunged for his neck again, “Are you even listening to me?!”

Without thinking, he snatched up a knife that had been abandoned on the tabletop with other exhausted cutlery. It was crusty with dried remains of meat, but it slid through flesh easily enough, stopping only when the hilt caught beneath the attacker’s jaw and refused to go deeper. He twisted, and the cursing turned to a garbled moan. The offending hand dropped and rage turned to fear. The boy tried hard to ignore the stench of piss; the drunk must have soiled himself in the quick turnaround, though it soon mixed with the aroma of flowing blood and wine. He tore himself from the pleading stare in time to watch the torrent of crimson wash over the man’s chest, pooling beneath the chair he sat in. With every futile pump of his heart, the steady river of red would lift, spatter, and dump the worthless life over polished hardwood. It was hard to tell how much of it was blood, and how much was wine. When he removed the knife, the man made another gurgling attempt to speak but seemed to be drowning; with a scowl, the blade went back in.

Dull from years of misuse, the knife ripped a jagged line across a soft warm throat before it was flung aside.

Finally, enough black-red oozed from the inebriated man to quiet him indefinitely. The halfblood relinquished his grip on the man and the body slumped against the back of its chair in unnerving silence. Only when everything seemed to stop did he realize the sound of his own beating heart, the acid in his throat, and the tear of blood that dribbled down his chin where bastard fang met bottom lip. Any thought of who this man could have been had not occurred to him; was he a father, a husband? No doubt, he’d done the family a favor by ridding them of the loud-mouthed drunk. He knew little of how he’d even come to be sitting at the table, only that the annoyance that plagued his ringing ears had been dealt with, and so easily—the wine certainly hadn’t helped the drunk’s reflexes.

Standing, a hand brushed back a line of ivory bangs from his face, smearing hot blood across his cheek and eye; a streak of red through a perfect white field.

Sheets were gathered from a nearby vacant bedroom, blood was sopped up, and a corpse that was quickly cooling was wrapped tight within the swaths of stained linen. “All men die,” he murmured to the corpse, “Dira may judge you, but Viratas will have your blood tonight.”

“There is much to be done.”
Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Departure. [Flashback]

Postby Seven Xu on October 4th, 2011, 11:06 pm

Wherever this man’s family was, they left him plenty of time to do what needed to be done.

The prayers had been said at candlelight over the man’s bloodied corpse; the hymn written expertly beneath lithe fingertips. A basin was filled with water heated by a dying hearth, and the boy stripped himself of his bloody cotton and wool to wash his body clean. New clothing was found easily enough; the room where the linens were pulled from housed a chest full of colorful robes and tunics, every one his size. When he stared back into the basin of calm reddened water, a smile of realization curled pale pink lips.

“So you must be Seven. You sure know how to vex a man, but I suppose you do deserve to know why you are not waking up in Lhavit.”

The boy ignored the strange squirm in the pit of his stomach, as if worms had grown inside him and were filling his guts. Had Seven half a mind to return to this place, precautions had to be made. “Forgive me,” he giggled as the basin was poured from the nearest open window, “forgive your father, he was a drunkard and an idiot and easy to kill.”

Pen met inkpot met vellum, and in meticulous hand, a letter was written and signed by a dead man.

Seven,

By the time you read this I pray you have gotten far along enough on your journey that you cannot simply turn around and run back to the mountains. You deserve better than Lhavit, son, and while I will miss you immensely, I had to ensure that you flourished and made the best of what you have been given.
That being said, there are some things you need to know. Things I kept from you, things that eventually pulled us apart - and for that, I will never be able to apologize enough. Your forgiveness is something that I can merely beg for.
Your mother's name was Dra-Nesyria Plicata. She was a Symenestra-Human half-blood from Kalinor; Nesyria loved you, Seven. She loved you with all her heart. Unfortunately, you could not return to her Web. I raised you in Lhavit thinking you would be able to live a happy Human life here with me. Unfortunately, the world is a cruel place that I can no longer shelter you from. You will make a far better life for yourself in Syliras than you ever will under the veil of prejudice that is Lhavit.

Please understand, son, I did this for you.

Your Loving Father
Zhao Xu

“We can take you as far as Alvadas. You’ll need to find your way across the Suvan from there,” the lithe man was a head taller than Seven, gaunt in features and sparing in facial hair. He had accepted the coin he was given and a short story of needing a cross through the mountains and sea on his way to Syliras. So long as he had his own food and could water an Okomo, the merchant saw no reason against letting the boy latch onto the merchant caravan headed to the City of Illusion with mounds of silk and preserved fruit.

“Syliras is a world away,” the merchant had mused, letting the bag of Kina drop from one hand to the other.
“It’s just far enough.” Seven replied with the echo of a smile, settling down between a crate of peaches and a mound of hay, trying to get comfortable.
Longer than his writhing worm-filled belly may have wanted to wait, the Okomo-driven caravan lurched ponderously into motion, through the Amaranthine Gate and into the Unforgiving. Lhavit grew tall, distant, and small in its wake, and Seven soon found himself unable to keep his dull eyes open, drifting into a long sleep that would wash his mind’s eye of the blood it had seen that night.

End

Seven Xu

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Departure. [Flashback]

Postby Duality on October 11th, 2011, 2:54 am

Image Seven Xu
Image Interrogation 1
Weapon: Dagger 1
Caligraphy 1

Image Confronting the Past
Revelations of Your Birth
Explosive Reaction
Faking a note from your father
Cleaning up after your crimes
Escape aboard a Caravan

This is such a good thread, Seven. I love the writing, it really drew me in and kept me excited. The introduction to it all was clever and creepy, the descriptions marvelous. I felt like Weapon Dagger was sortof a stretch, but you deserve something for how good this was.
For any questions or concerns regarding my grading, feel free to PM me!
Duality
Everything is. And it isn't.

Words: 27620
Joined roleplay: September 19th, 2011, 10:50 am
Race: Staff account
Office