The Toughest Lesson [Selfmod Training]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

The Toughest Lesson [Selfmod Training]

Postby Toshi on February 20th, 2010, 4:43 pm

TS: 5th Day, winter of 509 A.V.

Secret :
Master Ten

It didn't take Toshi long to find this Master Ten who could provide with the information he needed to avenge Alala. Master Ten was famous enough among underground fighting circles, an unarmed fighter long past his prime who could punch through stone and pierce through mail with bone-shattering kicks.

What Toshi didn't expect was that the martial-arts master would be someone he knew, someone he had met once during his childhood. Someone related to him by ties of blood. Save for his hair that had turned pure white the man's large frame hardly diminished over the years.

The large man in front of him slammed a fist into a punching bag loaded with stone and after steeping back he took a deep breath driving the other fist into the bag. Toshi wondered if it was a good idea to disturb the man from his training but his need overpowered his manners.

"Master Ten?" he croaked.

The old man stopped punching the weathered bag turning his eyes towards the young vantha who had stepped into his dojo without permission. Despite the unexpected interruption the man didn't frown, instead a smile appeared on his thin lips. "It has been quite some time hasn't it Toshi."

His grandfather was a towering figure for a vantha though his heritage was questionable. He was a large fellow, over six feet tall with a heavily built frame that was littered with scars on every exposed part of his skin.

"You changed your name."

"I was going to cause more trouble here, I believed it would be better if none here could link my name to my son's own... But I see that trouble is the fate of all those born into our bloodline." he lifted a calloused finger in the direction of Toshi and was eying the ropes bound on both his hands and arms. "Those belong to Alala, if I am not mistaken."

"Yes... these were Alala's..."

"So Alala failed in her task." his grandfather sighed and closed his eyes. "I believed she had the potential to defeat her twin, perhaps I was wrong to place my trust in her."

"She was powerful, grandfather. She defeated Ayira once before, I saw it with my own eyes. Had the coward not escaped Alala would be the one seeing you instead of me."

"...it was compassion I think, compassion that caused Alala to lose her life. If what you said is true I am certain there was an opportunity for Alala to end things, perhaps she still hoped that Ayira would come to her senses... It was that quality, that weakness that forced the hands of their parents to hand the mantle of leadership over to Ayira when Alala was the better fighter."

"...I do not believe compassion is a weakness grandfather. Compassion reflects our capacity for control."

"I will not argue our contrasting philosophies child, but you will learn to accept mine in time. How powerful Ayira must have become since abandoning her name and temple." the older man shook his head and expressed his disappointment in an expression of sadness Toshi had never seen on the man's face before. "I imagine there was no way Ayira could have won without using some technique... no doubt forbidden to augment her power. Tell me, was there anything unusual with Ayira during her final battle with her twin?"

"She had sigils running all over her body, each one glowing during her fight with Alala."

"Gnosis... So she has sold her soul to the divine. Ayira has no pride left in her, to resort to winning on borrowed strength... She is beyond my power to defeat now. And I am past my prime to accomplish the task myself."

Past his prime? Toshi had to shake his head. A man so powerful couldn't possibly be... diminished. His grandfather was the image of a perfect warrior, even Ayira and her infallible strength didn't appear to be matchless now that he had seen his grandfather fight.

"So, tell me, you have to have a reason to be here. I cannot imagine that you sought me out simply because you missed your grandfather."

Toshi was tempted to growl. The old geezer knew there could only be one reason he would come this far and even the loss of his family couldn't drive him this far. "I want revenge grandfather, I want to know where the other scrolls are."
Last edited by Toshi on February 22nd, 2010, 9:36 am, edited 6 times in total.
Look, the East is Burning Red!
Toshi
Player

Words: 36288
Joined roleplay: September 16th, 2009, 5:05 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet

Re: The Toughest Lesson [Auristics Training]

Postby Toshi on February 20th, 2010, 5:28 pm

Master Ten laughed, he laughed long and hard. He was more than amused, he looked like he was elated at the words his grandchild had uttered. "That look on your face is becoming child, there may be hope for you yet."

"However I cannot send you towards your doom, you are my last remaining descendant and our bloodline cannot end with you." the large man crossed his arms over his chest, his condescending eyes narrowing. "I will tell you about everything I know, but there is one condition."

"A condition?"

The master spread his arms in an inviting manner and grinned. "If you can draw blood from me, then I will consider your training complete. Only then will I allow you to hunt Ayira and avenge your woman."

"...How did you..."

"Its obvious. No man would go so far if it were only to avenge his family, it would have had to be something far more personal that that to drive someone like you to want to commit murder. Its a pity, I would have approved a union between you and Alala, your children would have been strong warriors."

Somehow the old man's words warmed Toshi's heart, at the very least one member of his family would have approved his union with an outsider. He wished that he could've still realized that dream but it was impossible now, at least he could still avenge her.

Steeling himself Toshi stepped forward, a foot sweeping in front of the other with one closed fist behind him and another open palm hovering in the space between his face and chest. "The sooner I can find out what you know the faster I can avenge Alala."

"If you're already prepared I won't stop you." the older man assumed the same stance though his powerful build made him appear far more intimidating than his grandson. "I don't believe you can last a minute however."

Toshi leapt forward with a scream, his left palm surging ahead withe the right coming up shortly behind. Master Ten responded with a similar attack, though instead of a simple run he shifted his weight with a proper push of his legs and a twist of his hips and shoulders.

Master Ten's open palm easily tore through Toshi's own attack but the younger man's stance suddenly dropped, his legs sinking so he could push himself forward again and deliver the right straight into the Master's face.

The feint hardly surprised the older man at all. He simply stepped back, and brought his outstretched palm back towards his chest and poised his elbows towards Toshi. The rest was simple, with a slight but sudden movement the older man's elbow came crashing into Toshi's face and even though the elbow strike lacked power he was effectively using the young man's own momentum against him.

"Pathetic!" he barked.
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 20th, 2010, 6:23 pm

It was only through sheer instinct that he avoided having his face smashed by his grandfather's elbow. A sudden flux-empowered side-step had allowed him to evade the blow but Toshi had sent himself rolling and skidding unto the floor as payment.

Ignoring the pain Toshi stood up and assumed the same stance, only this time with his arms folded on top of each other in front of his face. "How did you..."

"You may have concealed your intentions from my eyes but there are other means to sense things Toshi." Master Ten's irises had shifted colors to a cool blue, the color of calm and reason. It was strange, that the hotblooded master could exercise such control over his emotions.

"Has your father raised you so poorly that you cannot even see beyond the obvious? You look but you do not observe." Master Ten stepped out of his fighting stance, spreading his legs evenly apart and extended his hands forward parallel to each other. "I will have to educate you now Toshi, listen and obey. I am not a patient teacher."

Toshi ignored the impulse to defend his father. The last thing he wanted was to put his grandfather in a foul mood and talk of his father usually did back when the geezer still lived near their hold. Toshi relaxed his stance, dropping the guard and stood at attention.

"You have an understanding of djed manipulation, I could see that earlier though even that you will have to strengthen and refine. I am about to teach you an art that will let you augment your senses... Now close your eyes."

Toshi complied, the pain radiating from his shoulder and hips was making him uncomfortable but he needed to obey. He needed to learn, he still had to grow and his grandfather could help him, Toshi only needed to tolerate the man's rude nature.

"Clear your mind of all thoughts, think of nothing, there is only pitch blackness. It is not hot, cold, there is nobody in your thoughts, there is no yesterday, no tomorrow. There is only this very moment, only void, encompassing and accepting." the older man repeated this line, over and over for well over five minutes until Toshi was starting to succeed in drawing all thoughts from his head.

"Now feel your djed, it is the same as when you use flux but do not attempt to control it, do not guide or limit the flow. Allow the energy to move as it pleases. Instead of blocking or drawing, filter the energy passing through your head, the djed trickling through your mind. Can you feel it building? It is a subtle force, barely noticeable but you can sense it, can you describe the sensation you should be feeling?"

Toshi relaxed his body, stretching it and he tried to steady the rhythm of his breath. "It feels... dense, but I feel energy, almost as if I have a great idea... It feels like I'm almost about to conceive something great, as if I'm on the verge of something..."

"That my child, is the sensation that accompanies the activation of your mind's higher function. There are many methods to do this, among them is my adding fuel to the fire, just like what you did. The only problem is the mind was never meant to contain that much djed, it will take training to expand your capacity to accept that energy."

"Now try to listen, not only to my voice, but to everything around us. Can you hear the sound of droplets," indeed from somewhere within the dojo Toshi could pick up the unmistakable sound of water trickling down into a small pool somewhere. "Can you hear the wind?" the sound of air rushing through the windows were clear and crisp. "Can you hear the footsteps from afar?" Toshi concentrated on that faint sound but its clarity didn't increase.

"No, I didn't expect you to." the older man chuckled softly. "Now, try sensing the room. Do not open your eyes just yet, can you feel the floor on your feet?" Toshi removed his sandals and rubbed his feet against the cool wood. "What can you feel? Can you smell anything?"

"Strength.. sturdiness... activity... I can smell energy, the air doesn't have the scent of staleness, its not a natural scent but there is energy."

"Good! Now my child... open your eyes."

Toshi complied, slowly his eyelids opened adjusting to the bright golden light. And then his vision grew sharper and he realized that this wasn't the light of the sun peeking through the windows, the golden glow was surging from the man in front of him. Master Ten was bathed in a golden fire that didn't expand or diminish at time passed, sometimes a stray tongue of flame spiraled out of the man's frame but it always rolled back into its source.

Toshi stared at himself, he too was burning with the same light, only his was a darker shade of gold, mixed with red and that his own fire was being dwarfed by that of his grandfather.

"Auristics, a branch of magic that permits you to see another layer of the world. It allows you to measure power, and it also allows you to see this." Master Ten extended his hand forward, slowly, too slowly but for some reason the burning flame around his body was expanding in the direction his hand was going. "An expert can sense a strike before it comes, you can determine a person's intent. You can determine a person's quality, his worth, his strength through the aura, through the energy he radiates."

Toshi suddenly felt a light migraine and the glowing flames flickered before he could see nothing aside from the obvious once more. "I can no longer see the flames grandfather."

"I expected no more from an amateur, your mind can only take so much djed. I expect you to develop this skill Toshi. After extended periods of practice you should be able to use this even in combat with minimal concentration. This is an invaluable skill to have and like flux it does not demand that you expel your energy like most magics."
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 21st, 2010, 6:26 am

The applications of a form of precognition through realizing intent. That would be invaluable in combat indeed. Feints would lose all potency or at the very least they would be far more difficult to execute. No wonder his grandfather could see everything he threw before they even came coming, his intent was declaring the blows before they even came.

The following day Toshi had recovered from the mild headache that accompanied extended use of Auristics. This was an ability that he needed to master quickly, if he could see what was coming no matter how devastating the technique he could survive if not completely avoid it.

"Is it possible to attack without intent? Would a blow performed by sheer instinct be easily detected?" he asked his grandfather as he tightened the ropes around his hands and arms.

"Only if there is emotion behind it. Otherwise the idea does have its merit..." The old man nodded, as if he was considering the applications himself. "Can you do it? The theory is simple, even if I know the general direction of your attack and when it will come if the intent is overwhelming there should be no way to accurately determine where the blow will come from."

"I can try." Toshi said.

The old man laughed and assumed a stance with his legs spread evenly to his sides with both palms pulled back. "Then come!"

He needed no invitation. The youth came bursting forth, his mind concentrating on channeling energy to his legs and filtering the djed in his mind. Again the bigger vantha was a torch of swelling golden light and Toshi could see Master Ten's intent. This was absolute defense, the energy within the man was extending outwards in a sphere of protection. Power was brimming on the surface of that globe and the closer he got the more like a wall it appeared to him. Somehow it felt like Toshi was staring at a tidal wave frozen in time, one that could melt away and collapse on him at any moment.

There was no time to hesitate. It didn't matter if he was going to get swallowed up in the surge of energy that would come, it was inevitable. He would rather trade shots than stand paralyzed with fear.

Willing more djed into his legs Toshi's speed rose sharply and suddenly he was there, in front of his grandfather fists flying. The blows came crashing down like a torrent of rain, many fists flew and yet none met their mark. Before they could find an opening the older man's hands swept in a circular motion swapping them harmlessly aside.

So Master Ten could still see his intent? Of course it was impossible for him not to. He was an expert, he would see through intent, even the most feral and impulsive. Then what was he trying to pull here? There was no way he could veil his attacks, no, inspiration struck him.

Channeling all of his energy into his left hand Toshi allowed a flurry of punches fly, all of them faster than was he could normally deliver unaided by the power of flux.

The older man's eyes opened and he responded to Toshi's spirit. The huge man stepped back and his palms came flying, crashing into Toshi's body. But they didn't feel like punches at all, they were more like an avalanche of punches and then the final blow, a closed fist hammered into the side of Toshi's head sending the boy down.

"What did you just try to do? Did you think you could draw blood with such little power." his tone was mocking but his folded arms and the look on his face told Toshi he was waiting for an answer.

Toshi couldn't realize he was still alive. The blows had connected hadn't they but why wasn't be bruising all over. He looked at his grandfather and the man flashed Toshi an impish smile. So the old man had taken it easy on him, there was no kinetic linking in those blows but even then they still smarted.

"...An idea struck me... I hoped there was a method to use flux and render the predictions useless. If the speed at which my body reacted to my mind was enhanced to an unprecedented degree then wouldn't the 'predictions' be rendered near pointless...?"

"Because the opponent will only see both the intent and strike coming at the same time. Yes, I do see its applications... Stand ready, I will try testing that theory."

Slowly, the giant extended both hands apart, one behind him the other in front of him. His feet both swept forward, one at a 90 degree angle from the other. "Focus, I want you to see how effective this might be."

Toshi filtered the energy passing through his mind again. This time there was that slight migraine but he fought it back, he focused his mind elsewhere, he directed all his senses towards his grandfather.

His grandfather's aura blazed further, the power of flux nearly doubling the intensity of the light around him. Master Ten moved forward instantaneously, his hands came crashing together and energy came surging from his elbow at the same time the movement began. Each motion was accompanied by that burning fire that seemed to flow instead of crackle. There was no delay in execution, in the ebb and flow of the fire, there was no way to predict his blows from this.

"I can see now... you would do well to master this technique as well." his grandfather released the flow of flux, guiding the energy to a softer, more natural rhythm and the brightness. "Remember, some people can hide their presence, diminish it and yet they will not lose their potency, the power will still be underneath the surface, brimming ready to explode at a moment's notice."
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 21st, 2010, 7:01 am

The highlight of the next day's training was the moment that Toshi finally landed his first hard-earned blow on his grandfather's face. The punch however had only reached his target because he overextended and it was done in the air and the boy yet possessed the power to shift his weight effectively airborne.

Master Ten paid back Toshi's punch with one of his own. Stepping forward, the seasoned veteran's foot hammered the floor and the resulting momentum was shifted through a perfect twist of the waist and a sharp inward snap of the shoulder. The punch slammed into Toshi's side pushing all air out of vantha's lungs. Once more the youth was rolling on the floor staining it with blood.

"Impressive, you were able to concentrate flux into your torso - you narrowly avoided breaking your ribs. Congratulations." he offered his grandson a hand and hoisted Toshi up. The boy winced, apparently despite the cushion his flux created the damage was still enough to linger. "We'll have to apply medicine again, we can't afford you to skip a single day of training."

"That doesn't mean your training is over however, this is perfect. Try to focus despite the pain, you must learn to hold that focus. If your opponent can slip past your sight then focus on your hearing, we'll keep training your senses and body."

Toshi nodded. He didn't have the energy to complain, if he had the power to do that then he had the power to throw a punch, he had energy enough to focus. Again he opened his eyes and the djed flowing through his mind allowed him to perceive that flow of burning energy. His grandfather was moving to his side, the same side that would force him to turn where it would hurt the most.

He followed his grandfather's movements, suppressing the pain and headache. Still the man's golden energy burned forth, the blazing but silent flame told Toshi that he was still holding on to his focus. Again the man came, his feet was already high in the air and the sudden blaring fire suggested a hint of flux in that unnatural speed. Before the axe kick would come crashing down Toshi drew into his own well of power and narrowly avoided the blow with his flux-empowered legs.

"You're making progress, lets keep up this pace and see how much longer you can hang on."

Like a lion his grandfather roared, feet sweeping from below, an knee crashing down from above. All these Toshi only narrowly avoided, the last strike was a straight thrust with both closed fists and this Toshi guarded against with flux-driven djed flowing into his elbows.

And then the fire died. He fell down on one knee, that last block had forced him to spend more djed than he intended and his body was no longer responding favorably to his instructions.

"Take a break, we'll focus on the martial arts training for the rest of the day. You should avoid on relying on flux, it serves only as a crutch until you understand that it shouldn't be used to increase power, only to help in transition of energy." the man turned his back on his grandson and was moving towards the rear exit.

Slowly, sluggishly Toshi stood up, a single foot coming forward before both fists found their respective positions. "Another round grandfather, I think I can withstand another lesson." Toshi grinned, his eyes narrowed into slits. Blood and sweat trailed down his body but that didn't matter, he still had enough energy left to see the fire and he would fight if he had that left in him.

Laughing the old man turned around and broke into a running start. He was pleased, for the first time in their training the man was smiling as he traded punches with his grandchild and while Toshi repeatedly found himself landing on the floor the time it took for him to crash and burn was slowly growing.
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 21st, 2010, 7:36 am

This time they weren't fighting on the solid wood floor of the dojo. Instead the sand and pebbles were shifting under Toshi's feet and the water rose up all the way to his knees.

"Why here of all places grandfather?"

"The sea itself also has energy. It carries power, immeasurable strength. Can you see its power radiating from the water?"

Toshi gathered the energy in his mind and again the flames came bursting forth, he nodded. He could see its power, it was a blue flame, or was it haze? Whatever it was the seas's energy wasn't blazing like his grandfather's own. The energy was gentle, it flowed and pulsed in a far slower rhythm and while it stretched endlessly around them it didn't stand out like his grandfather's. "I can, its difficult to concentrate on its energy and yours at the same time."

"It is only natural child, novices shouldn't look both ways at the same time. In cases like these it is best to focus on your target and only your target, the longer you do the sharper the information to receive from them becomes. In your case however there is not yet a need to delve so deeply on reading aura, I want you to master maintaining focus. We need to extend the duration with which you can maintain focus, quality can follow after your body has the power to cope with your demands."

His grandfather moved away from him, the fact that he was creating space between himself and Toshi meant that they would be fighting the moment he judged the distance was adequate.

"You cannot use flux extensively today. We're going to train your muscles as well as your eyes, we cannot accomplish both if you tax your body's djed too much. If possible avoid using flux altogether." the old man held a closed fist over his head with his elbow poised somewhere behind his temple. The other had was being moved forward as one foot slipped back, the open palm gestured for Toshi to charge.

Toshi dashed towards the man but the water was hampering his movements, slowing him down.

"It is also difficult to move in the water but if you can accomplish this feat, your sense of balance and kicking strength will improve dramatically." Master Ten moved, his huge muscled frame surging to close the distance between him and his grandson while he moved his feet in wide circles. "If you're ever put in a position where you have to fight in the water allow your opponent to expend their energy approaching you, I am only urging you to go on the offensive now to build your strength."

Before Toshi could approach the man he slammed a palm into the sea, water came spraying towards the young vantha and behind that mist a hand appeared. Sensing the danger Toshi side-stepped, away from Master Ten's body to prevent the other free hand from reaching out to grab him.

"Ha!" Master Ten swept his foot underneath Toshi's own and the youth almost sank into the water. He had barely pulled himself back with the other which was planted firmly into the sand.

"Good, never let your guard down. The moment an attack ends expect another to follow through in its place."
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 21st, 2010, 7:53 am

The basics. His grandfather was a master of it and it seemed if he was going to land a blow powerful enough to cause the man to bleed he would have to master it as well. Careful, precise movements, all of them purposeful, none flashy or wasteful.

Keeping that in mind he charged forward making sure to observe Master Ten's aura for any sudden outbursts of energy. Watching the man's blazing aura while ignoring that of the environment took concentration he would have rather put into devising a strategy to defeat the titan.

Water exploded with every strike that missed its mark, the spray of sea-mist made it difficult for Toshi to see Master Ten and the wind made it even more difficult to keep his eyes open. Regardless his focus-driven senses compensated for the obscurity of vision. His grandfather's aura blazed brightly and it was enough for Toshi to use as an outline for his movements.

As their training lasted early into the night Toshi was already growing exhausted. He had taken periodic rests but his djed was once again growing weaker, he needed to figure out a method to use it efficiently, to harness the djed within him without spending it so quickly.

How much energy would it take to barely see the flames? Toshi attempted to allow less and less to be filtered through his mind and slowly the intensity of what he could see diminished until all he could see was the strongest of flames nearby - his grandfather's.

Master Ten stepped out of his fighting stance, holding a hand up in front of Toshi. Understanding the man's gesture Toshi dropped his fighting form and sank on the sand.

"You're holding up longer than before, I pray your body gets used to this training regime. Because I'm telling you now, we're only getting started." the older man readjusted his long robes which Toshi only noticed were drenched thoroughly. How Master Ten moved so easily despite that Toshi didn't know, he himself had forgone all the clothes except his dark colored shorts and seeing the huge gap in their power reminded Toshi that he still had a lot more to do before he could even come close to touching Ayira. "Tomorrow, you will have have your final lesson in auristics, and then you can practice what you've learned on your own."
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 21st, 2010, 3:57 pm

The curtains suddenly parted and the rays of sunlight fell on the teenager's face. Groaning the young vantha turned over to avoid the glaring heat and brightness but there was no escaping the hand that was turning him over. Toshi stubbornly brought the blanket over his face and lay prone on the bed, face buried in the pillow.

"Wake up already, I'm making breakfast." he felt someone tugging at his sheets and with one almighty pull the blanket slipped from his fingers leaving him with nothing but his shorts to fend of the cold but pleasant breeze coming in from the sea. "If you don't wake up you're not getting dinner tonight."

He blinked and he saw Alala's breathtaking figure disappearing out the door and into the other room.

He didn't need to be told twice. The powerful scent of onions and beef sizzling on grill coupled with the promise of dining with such a beautiful woman was all the convincing he needed. He wouldn't miss breakfast for the world, especially when she was the one making it.

Toshi stood up, picked up his polo shirt and walked towards the kitchen. Just as he was finished fixing the buttons into place he spotted the bronze-skinned goddess near the counter cutting vegetables with expert precision. The woman was so engrossed in her work that her innocent looking face was crunched up in pure concentration.

"What time is it?" he murmured, half-yawning, hands rubbing his eyes as they adjusted to the brightness filling the kitchen.

"Its a few hours before noon, you didn't plan on sleeping the entire day I hope!"

"You take everything too seriously Alala." he muttered, eyes lazily trained on her.

The woman stopped what she was doing for a moment and pointed a knife in his direction. "That's because I want everything to be perfect," she smiled, though she didn't smile teasingly. Alala had the best smiles, they were fresh, natural and bereft of any other emotion than happiness if not bliss. "If I don't do my best my day doesn't play out right."

Toshi returned the girl's smile and leaned back into his chair. As he waited for the food to finish cooking he started humming to himself, something he only did when he was in the best of spirits.

"That's a nice song." Alala said, her eyes never leaving the the workplace.

Toshi kept on humming and slowly rose from his seat. Careful not to make any sudden movements he walked to Alala's side and peered over her shoulders. The girl had finished chopping the vegetables and was about to bring over the board towards the grill when Toshi's hands slipped around her waist locking her in place.

Alala blinked and stopped moving, for a moment she tensed but when she finally met the vantha's gaze her expression mellowed out. "Toshi..."

"Do you think we should just forget about this revenge business... Right now I'm really happy and I think I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life with you."

Alala's lips opened and she softly murmured the words he wanted to hear...

...and Toshi would wake up, this time for real. Outside the window there were only trees and buildings rising into the landscape of stone and marble, there was no cool breeze here, only the chilling cold of winter and there was no Alala to wake him up.

He flexed his hands and found the tight ropes Alala's memoirs biting against the flesh of his hand. He coiled the ropes tightly around his arms and stood up from where he was resting. With large measured steps he hastily marched towards the dojo, his heart stirring from that fleeting memory.
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 21st, 2010, 5:02 pm

Toshi found his grandfather exactly where he'd been when he first saw him again only days ago. As usual Master Ten was delivering a punishment of blows to the punching bag and the leather holding in the sand and stones looked like it would give out with the next strike.

Upon noticing his grandchild the bear of a man stepped back from his punching bag. "Its unusual early of you to be up." he clapped his hands together and popped his fingers.

Master Ten looked at Toshi and didn't fail to notice the sudden shift in demeanor. The body was visibly frustrated at something and his aura betrayed heavy flashes of red. "Did you have a nightmare child?"

"I want you to tell me where the other scrolls are." Toshi's voice was laced with an intensity that was ill suited to his personality and Master Ten wouldn't take that tone from someone who couldn't even touch him.

The old man's brow rose and he opened his arms in invitation, his expression mocking. "I wouldn't even need to read your aura to figure out what you dreamed about. As I told you when you first arrived on my doorstep, I will tell you everything I know provided you can fulfill my condition."

Toshi gritted his teeth and assumed a fighting stance that was far too advanced for him to use effectively. It was the form Alala used in her final moments, it was essentially the same as the core stance of his style only with his fists closed halfway sacrificing raw punching power for the potential of dealing internal damage. "Fine, I will!"

The young vantha charged at full sprint, one arm shielding his face and the other trailing behind with an open palm supinated in what could be the prelude of a decisive penetrating thrust.

Master Ten didn't even need to utilize flux. The threat Toshi presented was minimal and a simple side step, a timely extension of his hands, one under the boy's abdomen and another over locking over the boy's wrists was all he needed to throw the boy over his shoulders.

The sudden reorientation on the floor would have broken the bones of most other people but Toshi's perfectly timed burst of flux dissipated the bulk of the damage. Now that he was within range he turned, his feet sweeping in an arc that should have reversed the situation and left him standing over his grandfather.

Master Ten however moved far too quickly to be caught by such a weak maneuver. He stepped back again and was preparing another blow but already the young vantha sprung forward in a vicious flux-enhanced upper-cut. Again Master Ten moved back but this blow came at a surprising angle and he had to, for the first time since they fought block a blow instead of redirecting it.

"I hope you're using your eyes boy, because I'm going to show you something good." the man brought his fists together and Toshi doubled back instinctively.

He didn't even need to be told, there was no way he would've fought the man without using every trick that he had learned. The only way he could stand a chance, no matter how small chance to wound this giant was to apply all that he knew into a single ferocious barrage - and he had failed in connecting any of those flux-boosted strikes earlier.

The djed flowing through the master's arms were unusually high in concentration, something was happening and Toshi didn't even want to be at the receiving end of whatever technique Ten was about to unleash.

And yet the master was moving forward, the golden flame of energy came crashing into Toshi but the attack didn't come. Toshi blinked, that was merely the aura, then the attack was still...

The punch sank below Toshi's ribs, straight into his internal organs and the last thing Toshi saw was the burning bright light that was surging into his system.
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Postby Toshi on February 21st, 2010, 5:43 pm

Toshi was still nursing the bruise on his head and his stomach when a knock on the door caused him to look up. Master Ten had stepped into the room with another sack of leaves in one hand. "So have you learned anything during the fight earlier?" he asked, throwing the medicinal herbs at his grandson's feet.

"That it was stupid to charge headlong into the fighting range of a martial art master?" Toshi offered.

"No, I don't think it was stupid. It may have been reckless but you're a pugilist too, there was no other option for you."

Toshi secured the bandage over his head and opened the sack of leaves taking a fistful to crush in his hands. "That you're adept at another branch of magic other than flux or auristics?"

The older fighter laughed at that idea but he shook his head sternly. "I'm no mage boy, I'm a fighter. What you saw was still flux, an advanced flux technique that disrupts djed flow in the body. It can take out opponents while doing minimal harm to them."

"Minimal if you don't have the strength of a bull." he snorted, a wry smile resting on the young vantha's lips.

"At least the next time someone tries casting a spell on you there's an off chance you might notice, but then you'd have to be practicing auristics at every opportunity to make using it effortless. Auristics is hardly taxing, it just needs some getting used to child."

Toshi silently nodded. As usual his grandfather's words had merit. Once he was satisfied with how fine the leaves he'd crushed in his hands were Toshi poured the fine powder into his mug of hot water. When the brew was thoroughly green and the leaves had lost their color he lifted the mug to his lips and he swallowed a sip of the bitter tasting medicine.

"At least we won't have to give your body some kind of conditioning exercise if you're going to get hit this often." Master Ten chuckled loudly and patted Toshi's shoulders heartily. "Just try not to take so many blows to the head, those kinds of injuries are beyond me to fix."

Somehow Toshi felt like his grandfather would eventually follow through with the conditioning exercises anyway, it wasn't like he had the stamina or endurance he needed to fight opponents of his grandfather's caliber anyway.

"Get better soon child, tomorrow I'm going to have to beat you up for the way you acted earlier. Tonight, go get some rest." Master Ten rose from beside the bed and slipped out the door, his large figure casting a long shadow behind him even long after he'd left the room.

Finally alone once more Toshi hauled himself out of bed and he leaned against the window panel. He stared outside, his fingers tracing the ropes wrapped around his arms and he wondered how long it would take before he would be ready to avenge his woman.
Toshi
Player

Character sheet

Next