[Flashback] The young and the brave (Solo)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This shining population center is considered the jewel of The Sylira Region. Home of the vast majority of Mizahar's population, Syliras is nestled in a quiet, sprawling valley on the shores of the Suvan Sea. [Lore]

Postby Amadeus Telrunya on October 30th, 2011, 12:09 am

Timestamp: Winter 500 AV

Amadeus walked through the back door of the bar, out into the alleyway. It was past the middle of the night, so everything was very dark. Amadeus had just stolen several bottles of rum from the bar, after gaining the confidence of one of the barmaids. Amadeus was no pilgrim, even compared with some of the barmaids in Syliras, although he was still a teenager, about 15 or so. His plans for the liquor were not great; he would drink some of it, having a cultivated taste for adult beverages nurtured from when he was very small. He also planned to sell or barter it in exchange for food and... books. Amadeus lived on books. Now, when the streets were calm(er), the cares and worries of his hand-to-mouth existence could fade away, and he could trespass into the attic of the old house with the drunk and the old lady, and read. The books he 'acquired' were usually boring, useless volumes of forgotten lore. But to Amadeus, they helped fill his great hunger for knowledge.

He stood for a moment outside the door. Although the air stank horribly, Amadeus could see the stars. He didn't really know much about Astronomy, but he loved to watch the stars at night sometimes.

Suddenly, he heard a noise behind him. He quickly jumped down and attempted to melt into the night, but he stopped as he heard a voice.

"Why are you so jumpy tonight?" It was Cora's voice, Cora the barmaid. Amadeus contorted his face into his patented lover's smile.

"Oh, I'm always jumpy when I'm around you. You always..."

Cora was frowning. Not good. Amadeus barely dodged her slapping palm as she screeched,

"You used me! For what? A couple bottles of rum! That's all I'm worth to you!"
Suddenly she grew calm. "I guess I'll just have to tell my boss."

Amadeus felt true fear. Her boss, the owner/bartender, was I giant of a man, with a reputation. A reputation for killing men with his bare hands and stealing their possessions. Amadeus had no need to worry about his possessions, as he had none, but he didn't exactly relish the idea of being killed with somebody's bare hands. Or just being killed at all. Amadeus did what any sensible young man in his position would do. He ran. FAST.
Amadeus Telrunya
Wandering Waif

Words: 7553
Joined roleplay: October 7th, 2011, 1:22 am
Race: Human, Mixed
Character sheet

Postby Amadeus Telrunya on November 1st, 2011, 6:30 pm

He paused after losing site of his erstwhile lover, and took stock of his situation. The bartender would, unfortunately, be aware of his hideout in the attic of the old house with the drunk and the old lady because he had unwittingly told the barmaid. Mental note; never give vital information to an expendable. Also, the old house lay in the opposite direction than that which he had hastily taken. What to do, what to do. Well, he had left six books in the old house. The question was, should he risk life and limb for the books? Perhaps the barmaid wouldn't tell the owner. Perhaps the sky would fall and kill the bar owner. On such decisions rest the fates of nations. Amadeus decided to take a detour through the main streets to the old house, and see what could be done about the books.

He started back, scooting through an alley to one of the main streets, and, taking care to stay in the shadows, traversed the city, keeping an eye open for his enemies, his friends, and large bloodthirsty creatures. He didn't meet any enemies, he didn't meet any enemies, but he did meet a large bloodthirsty creature. Amadeus was never on good terms with dogs.

As he neared the front end of the infamous bar, he became ultra-cautious, creeping along the opposite end of the street. He had made it halfway past the ominous building, which was still lit up and open for business, when it happeded. A man stepped out of the door directly in front of him, and they collided violently. Amadeus was sure they had woken the entire city from the echoing inside of his head as he picked himself off of the board walkway.

"Er-hum...Excuse me" he mumbled and attempted to push past the man.
Amadeus Telrunya
Wandering Waif

Character sheet

Postby Amadeus Telrunya on November 11th, 2011, 3:33 am

The man was obviously drunk. He smelled very strong, and was a huge, fat man with great fists as big as mutton chops. He shoved Amadeus back, and teetering a bit on his feet, bellowed out in a thick voice,
"Wha'ar you doing! Whash out before crozzing the..." He paused. Suddenly he grabbed the boy's shirt and cocked back a big fist. "I oughta...!"

Amadeus swung hard and fast at the man's face. The punch connected with a knuckle-smashing crack as his fist landed squarely below the mans right eye. The man yelped and stumbled back, and Amadeus shoved hard past him.

Speed was all that mattered now. Amadeus could hear a commotion behind him as he ran, nearly doubled over, through the shadows. He must have imagined it, but it seemed everyone was up and about in Syliras, and all had heard or seen his encounter with the drunk, and were hard on his heels. He ran past cobbler's houses and restaurants and bars and blacksmiths and bars and tailors and bakers houses and ran. He ran through puddles and cats and dogs and scorpions and ran.

He was near his destination now, so he slowed up a bit and listened. Behind him he could still hear the shouts of men, presumably following him. Thankfully they were far enough behind him that he could focus on the task at hand. He turned back towards the old house that had been his home for these few months, and crept up to the gate. The fence and gate were twisted and rusty, and the house itself was nearly half destroyed by fire, rain and other ravages of time. The house must have been a beauty in its prime, but it wasn't now. However, Amadeus had more important things to do than sit around and meditate on the nature of time. He inched a little closer to the enterance, and listed for any signs of movement within. The drunk who inhabited the grounds and cellar should be out drinking. The old woman who occupied the first floor was no concern of his, for she was deaf and useless.
Hmm....

He didn't notice footsteps in front of him until he heard the voice.

"Well, well, well. What have we got here?"
Amadeus Telrunya
Wandering Waif

Character sheet

Postby Amadeus Telrunya on November 15th, 2011, 5:43 pm

Amadeus cursed the unlucky star that had overseen his birth. Standing in front of him, belligerent in attitude and terrifying in aspect, was the villain bartender. He was wearing a sardonic smirk and a formidable pair of brass knuckles, which glinted in the light of a nearby wall sconce.

"Thought you could get away by running, eh?" the man said. "Well it turns out your little...romance...with Cora hasn't turned out so well, and she turned me onto this little hole of yours." He grinned and displayed his rotten teeth.

Amadeus decided to use the long-embraced notion of his; that running away was safer than dying. He smashed the aforesaid rotten teeth with his fist and attempted to get around the man, who recoiled at the blow and moaned as he spit out a few teeth. However, the bartender hadn't just fallen off the turnip truck, he had been in a few fights, and he quickly stuck out his foot, which Amadeus obligingly tripped on and fell on his face. He tried to scramble to his feet again, but the bartender viciously kicked him in the ribs. Amadeus gasped in pain, and lay helpless as the man grabbed him by the shirt and hauled him up.

"I'll make you regret you were ever born!" the man growled through blood and broken teeth. Amadeus already did, thanks, but the man seemed intent on his purpose and swung a fist at Amadeus' head, which glanced off but shook him up considerably. He decided he had to do something, so he took a large mouthful of the man's hand and bit. Hard.

The bartender screamed out and let go of him quickly. Amadeus slipped by him and melted into the night. He paused a little at one point, unwilling to leave behind his precious books, but the roars of the angry bartender drove him on, on, on into darkness.
Amadeus Telrunya
Wandering Waif

Character sheet