Meeting the 'Berthian Barbarian (Cade)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Shai on November 3rd, 2011, 3:34 am

Timestamp: 67th of Fall

Shai was up to her old tricks again. She had a rock in hand and was perched on the side of a wall obscured by shadows. Her location actually wasn’t all that far from her night’s destination the Pig’s Foot. But she just couldn’t see giving up a chance for a few mizas before spending some. And so the little spider sat on the wall waiting for some idiot to bumble through. First was a prostitute but it was too early in the night for her to have any good coins so Shai let her pass. Then a pair of young men, two was one more rock than she had so they also had to go by. Eventually, after a handful of chimes, she got her wish when a lone man ambled into the alley way. He was a large man and probably a thug in his own right, but an unconscious man was an unconscious man no matter his size. As soon as the target passed by Shai’s hiding spot the Symenestra pounced. Leading with her rock she shoved all of her force against the back of his head, effectively downing the man. Releasing the rock as she struck him Shai tumbled to the ground to avoid any injury in her landing.

Standing up from her tumble Shai walked over to the unconscious lump of a man, after a nudge with her barefoot she judged him unresponsive. Quickly rifling through his possession she pocketed a small handful of mizas and what seemed like an old boot knife. Meager spoils but it would be enough to let the small woman buy some drink.

After securing her black cloak around her, Shai headed out of the alley and sauntered down the last few blocks to the tavern. The thief stopped to pull on her boots which she kept tied together and over her neck while climbing. A woman didn’t walk into a tavern without shoes that was simply uncivil. She nudged open the door with her now shoed foot and walked in, keeping her hands beneath her cloak and out of sight as much as possible. It was a busy night andconsequently there weren’t any completely free tables, so instead the Symenestra stole a seat at the bar in between two men. One man looked eerily like a rat who had encountered a smell that perpetually irritated him, but the biggest perk for Shai was that he was small and small men usually didn’t mess with her. Alternatively the man on the other side of Shai might have had parent who was part geological feature because the man was enormous. Shai wasn’t large by anyone’s definition but she’d never come across anyone who dwarfed her like this figure. Regardless, she wasn’t here for the company the thief was here for the booze and the chance that some moron might get a bit too sauced and try to walk home along. Shai felt it was professional courtesy to make sure he made it back several mizas lighter.

When she felt the telltale sign of warmth fondle her rear end, Shai realized she wasn’t just going to be able to sit and observe. There was one thing she never understood about denizens of Sunberth, didn’t the big black cloak give enough of a warning sign to not petch with her? Apparently not, or maybe they really needed to get petched because she didn’t have a whore’s ass, she barely had any ass at all. So the fact that men liked to grab a chunk perpetually confused her. Well she couldn’t very well let it slide so first she ascertained it wasn’t the living mountain on left; she could see both of his hands. That left ratsy on the right.

Shai wrapped her own right fist behind her and met the stranger’s hand still on her body. Keeping the actual damage dealers, her claws, hidden behind her hand she jabbed her middle and index claws into the top of his hand and her thumb claw into the soft palm. She hadn’t caused any irreparable damage but it was enough to hurt and bleed. The man jerked back laying his gently bleeding hand on the bar and looked at her. He had a look of confusion not because she done it, such a reaction wasn’t all that ridiculous, but how she’d done it. It was exactly the reaction she needed to confirm it was him doing the groping. Shai didn’t give him a chance to ponder, the rogue twisted her ankle under his stool at an angle and pulled. The stool acceded to her pressure and leverage and tipped sending the man off the back of his stool and onto the floor. Shai never let the stool itself fall and righted it back to where it belonged.

Keeping her eyes forward she never looked straight at the man but she did speak. “Use a few more precious moments to think it over before you try to grab a piece of another woman. They might not be so nice.” This left a lovely empty space besides Shai which was precisely twice as good as when it’d been occupied. Humans smell atrociously and the breath of fresh air was a lovely change of pace.

Last edited by Shai on November 17th, 2011, 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Cade on November 16th, 2011, 11:12 pm

Suddenly the light's of sunberth and the sounds of the bustling night life reeled drunkenly to Cade's senses; thousands of fire-balls bursted with showers of sparks and the sky itself became a titanic wheel which rained stars as it spun. Under his feet the muddy path heaved up like a wave, and the half blood myrian savage crumpled into the dirt to lie motionless. In the cold dark universe, whose sun was extinguished eons ago, Cade felt the movement of life, alien and unguessed. An earthquake had him in its grip and was shaking him to and fro, smacking his face until he yelled in pain and fury as he groped for his sword.

"He's coming to, Horath," said a voice. "Keep smacking him tell he wakes fully. This such a slumber a man does not wake, they will never wake"

Cade opened his eyes and stared into the bearded faces that bent over him. He was surrounded by tall golden-haired warriors in mail and furs.

"Cade! You Live!"

"By the gods, Nord," Gasped the barbarian. "Am I alive or are we all dead?"

"Hahahahaha, We live" Grunted the old mercenary " Tho you look a little worse for ware, half blood". Nord, Horath and Cade had been old friends, all serving on various mercenary contracts a year or two back. It was just by chance that the two fell upon Cade in this manner for not many in sunbirth would help a felled man.

The barbarian staggered to his feet, grasping the old mercenary in a hand shake " I owe you drink friend......" Cade's words faded as his left hand quickly noticed that his coin purse was missing " It seems well i was out my mizas have vanished". He swayed from left to right as his head pounded like a shipmen's base drum continually beating to quarters. He could feel the trickle of blood seeping from the back of his head and he only knew one cure........

"Thats Alright Cade, we be on our way" Nord informed, tossing the half blood myrian enough mizas for drink " We sally up next time we are in town". With that the two northern warriors marched off into the dark streets of sunbirth leaving Cade alone with a few mizas to fill his horn with mead.

The Barbarian stumbled into the tavern, the embarrassment that he was mugged finally catching up to him but simmered by the horrendous headache he suffered. There were a few seats opened at the bar and he made short work on the distance smashing his coin onto the table top and taking a seat. He was a geniune regular and the barkeep knew exactly what he wanted, A horn of mead.

His head slightly slumped down resting in the palm of his left hand as if he could will the pain away. The horn was placed infront of him and the barbarian skulled every last drop of it with a single gulp. He could feel the honey wine warm his soul and spirit for honey wine was a cure for everything.

The half blood myrian savage finaly took noticed to the company to his right. A slender framed female dressed in a black cloak. What caught his attention was the amethyst hues her eyes glowed with and the fact he had not seen her before. " What brings you here girl?" His deep toned myrian accent demanded hearing as the savage cringed through his headache while waiting for the second round of mead. He could not tell if she was full human or humanoid for it really didn't matter to the barbarian. Female company was always best with honey wine no matter what race they were.
Cade
The Crimson Hand

Words: 179276
Joined roleplay: June 9th, 2011, 7:33 am
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 1
Donor (1)

Postby Shai on November 17th, 2011, 2:59 am

Shai’s jaw almost dropped when the very man she mugged sat down beside her. She quickly regained her composure and snatched peeks of him with her peripheral vision. She would have completely forgotten about him in a few day’s time and never recognized him if they ever met. Unfortunately the memory was fresh and it made her slightly uncomfortable, but he had been unconscious by the time she revealed herself, he had no way to know the mugger was the little woman beside him. And under no circumstances was she going to let him on the truth.

Well, it was the least she could do to make sure he wasn’t horribly injured. She had no vendetta against the man he just happened to be the first good target who crossed her path. Besides she had his coin to spend on booze so it wasn’t a real big loss for her. Turning to look at him as he addressed her, she realized a startling likeness. He looked like he could be related to Mok. Maybe I have some deep-seeded hate for men of this build that I’m unaware of. She’d managed to assault both men with rocks now. “Convenience and Mizas, the best two reasons to be anywhere in Sunberth in my opinion. How about yourself?” She gave him a once over like she’d never seen him before in her life. “You look like you have had a rough night. How about I buy your next drink?” with his own coin. Shai checked her cloak to make certain the knife was securely inside a buttoned pocket and to hide the check pulled out a couple mizas to cover the expense. When she dropped the mizas on the table it was quick enough to keep her hand mostly a blur but the black shapes for nails would be obvious, she just didn’t want anyone getting a clear view. Especially not in a location where she had little to no chance of escaping safely if someone saw a slave for the selling.

Strange, she felt a little guilty. It must be because he reminded her of Mok, she’d need to remedy that strange confusion quickly. Guilt was incredibly unbecoming for a thief.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cade on November 18th, 2011, 12:16 am

Cade's concussed vision barely saw the girls hand smack the coins on the table ordering the next round of drinks for the barbarian. Such a jester has not been made from the female kind in ages.......... especially in sunbirth. It was a jester in kind that the now poor savage was not going to pass up on. He gave Shai a groggy smile and nodded his head in acceptance to her offer. Plus, she was from what he could tell, easy on the eyes and you couldn't ask for much better on such a day for company.

" Well now......." The Barbarian was not use to being grateful let along saying thanks " I will take you up on that" With that he skulled the second horn of mead to numb the pain and also to start tapping into this woman's pockets......... and maybe other places if he was lucky. That thought crossed his mind as he tried to focus his vision upon her and get a real good look at the company he was holding and from what he could see he was not disappointed.

" I be in sunbirth for about the same reasons as you. Easy way to come by wealth" Cade replied to her inquiry leaving out his own personal ambition for this city. 'I will rule this place' He thought to himself while waiting for the next horn of mead to come his way.

"So what talents do you hold to come by such Mizas?...... sides from being beautiful" The devils grin was upon his face now, the pain was being ignored as his attention was fully on Shai while he prodded for more information on her.
Cade
The Crimson Hand

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Shai on November 19th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Shai noticed she felt perceptibly less guilty after the enormous man downed his drink. Any guilt that lingered disappeared when he followed up his question with a remark on her looks. She was entirely uncertain whether he meant it as a compliment or to imply she was prostitute. She intended to clear any misconception up quickly, assuming this stranger wasn’t half as slow as Bob it should work. “My appearance has never gained me a single miza. I am just very good at being quiet; you might be surprised how much concentrated silence can net you.” It was a very strange way to say thief but she had no intention of letting the whole tavern know she was interesting in their coin purses.

Looking him over it wasn’t hard to guess how the large man made his money. “Would I be wrong to guess you make your way on muscle?” It was always good to know a few thugs. She’d managed to gain a few she could count amongst her acquaintances, and a few dangerous fellows that she couldn’t rightly call thugs. If she had gotten a better look at this fellow she never would have tried to mug him, she would have waited for another. It wasn’t worth the chance she might miss the sweet spot with her rock and get crushed against the nearest wall. She ordered a drink she probably wouldn’t finish; she wasn’t a fan of ale it tasted foul to her Symenestra pallet. Sliding her gaze beyond the stranger she caught sight of the door swinging closed behind someone. She hadn’t seen the person in question so she couldn’t guarantee they were inebriated enough to warrant some of her attention. Letting that one go she refocused her gaze on her drinking companion. “So what do they call you?”

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cade on November 25th, 2011, 4:49 pm

The berthian savage was intrigued not just by the girls physical features but by the way she spoke. Cade may have not been that educated in the language arts but he could tell she was speaking with double meaning. The down side was Cade now knew that her body was not for sale but in her speak she also hinted at other services she provides. Being the Crimson Hand it was Cade’s responsibility to attract such talents to their small guild but he needed proof for he rarely took people on just word alone.

“Yes, your eyes do not deceive you for I make my living through the strength of my arm and the might of my sword” The barbarian boasted “ I am known as Cade and I run with the Crimson Edge”. He left out the fact he was second in command out of paranoia for this girl could be in bed with the Daggerhand and it was almost common knowledge that the daggers had it in for the Crimsons. ‘What are you called by?”
Cade
The Crimson Hand

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Shai on November 26th, 2011, 8:57 pm

“The Crimson Edge? I cannot say I have heard of them, but I do not listen to the gossip surrounding gangs very often.” She shrugged; usually gangs meant nothing but trouble for a lone thief. The only time she cared what they thought was if it had anything to do with her, a solo thief caught on a gang’s turf was in for a world of pain. “My name is Shai and I . . .” She had been about to assert that she worked alone, but that wasn’t entirely true anymore. As proof she had a job only a few days away in which she was working with an assassin. “I work with a lose amalgamation of associates. Nothing so formal.” Of course, Shai was unaware that the group she called her associates were almost all tied to the Crimson Edge.

And she suspected that amalgamation was about to gain one more. Her eyes lit upon a stumbling drunk, who was unfortunately supported by a less sauced friend. Normally, Shai would have let them leave unmolested but with the mountain of muscle talking candidly next to her she had another idea.

Her eyes flittered back to the barbarian once more, making certain he was as large as she had previously assessed. “Would you like to make some mizas? Split right down the middle.” Her eyes wandered back to the two men headed out the door.

Last edited by Shai on December 9th, 2011, 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cade on December 2nd, 2011, 4:59 am

To Shai's proposal the barbarian wasted no time on hesitation to answer "I am in....... I need to earn some mizas back for the coins I have lost this day. hahahaha " His chuckle was ended as his brain became agitated with the deep toned vibrations of his jolly making. His mood went back to serious and all business " What do you have in mind Woman?" The savage tapped his longsword reminding the beautiful creature where his true skills laid. Cade would be tickled pink if he could take out some of his fustration and embarrasment in the act of bloodshed, but that was up to Shai for she was cooking this scheme and he had not heard the details yet but could only guess in why she would want a sell sword such as he to accompany her.
Cade
The Crimson Hand

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Postby Shai on January 8th, 2012, 2:44 am

Shai tiled her head towards the door as it swung shut behind the drunk and his human crutch. Sliding her untouched ale in front of Cade, Shai muttered in his direction. “I really hate for my own drink. And those gentlemen looked like they might just oblige. But, just in case they might disagree a sword would come in handy I think.” Never mind that Cade had technically paid for her drink which she had not even tasted to begin with.

The thief leaned back into her stool again and promptly stood up. Giving the barbarian a conspiratorial wink just in case his childhood hadn’t adequately prepared him for subterfuge as it surely had cracking heads. Slinking discreetly through the crowded tavern the spider snuck through the door behind another man entering. While she doubted the swordsman could follow her in stealth, habits kept her to the shadows. Hopefully the man didn’t lose sight of her.

Shai tailed behind the drunk at a distance, but the two only went a couple of blocks before turning into an alleyway. [i]This is too easy… /i] she thought and instead of feeling lucky the Symenestra was instantly suspicious. Creeping up to the corner she inconspicuously peeked around the edge. She’d been correct it was too easy. In the alley way the pair had stopped and begun speaking with four ruffians wearing atrocious yellow sashes. It was too soon to say whether they had her to the purse or if they were allies. What the spider was certain of although, was that that if she was long she would never attempt this, but maybe with the barbarian. It all depends on his confidence with his blade of course.

Slithering back from the corner Shai turned around to try and find Cade. She wanted his opinion on the situation. They didn’t have long to dally; opportunity waited for no one.

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes

Postby Cade on January 16th, 2012, 7:49 pm

Cade had non-shalantly followed Shai who he had noticed merged with the shadows as if she belonged to them. The barbarian on the other hand had a hard time with the sneaking bit so he just walked right out in the open amongst the other denizens of this lawless city. He had finally caught up the beautiful creature as she waited at the corner with worry in her eyes with what was down the alley. Cade took a quick peak noticing the men with the yellow sashes "Canaries" Cade snarled with a sadistic grin as his focus fell upon the girl.

The half blood myrian concealed by the corner to the alley drew his longsword with blood lust obviously boiling with in as he looked deep into Shai's eyes to see if she was ready for the killing that was about to ensue. "Kill with a mind, steady hand and a heart like avanthal ice" Was the only advice the barbarian would give to her, the same advice his late mother given to him many years back.

Cade then thrusted himself into a run as he charged up the alley, sword in hand and ready for blood. He wasn't worried if the girl was gonna follow or not, he was going to kill them all with our with out her. The six men that gathered noticed the mountain of fury rushing towards them but they had little time to react. The first canary in reach of Cade's blade was the first victim of the barbarian's savagery, with the long blade cleaving deep into the man's chest cavity from the right shoulder to sternum. Cade could taste the blood that was splattered in all directions and he licked his lips for more.

With a quick jerk the barbarian's sword was free of the new corpse as the five men before him scrambled for their weapon's of choice, fear stumbling their actions. With out hesitation Cade lunged forward at the closest canary with the tip of his sword spearing for the man's lungs. The man had some battle experience as he twisted out of the way, drawing a dagger and slashing at the barbarian's right arm, cutting into the flesh. Cade cringed at the familiar pain but that did not slow the berthian panther of death as he whirled around with such speed and strength the man was decapitated before he could react.

The half blood savage saw two more canaries rush at him, both with short swords ready to slay this rabid beast. Cade instinctively leafed his body placing his sword in the fools guard, sword at mid level pointing towards the advancing men. They both attacked at the same time, Cade side stepped to the right parrying the closest man's sword off to the left and using the momentum of his body and his own to shove into the other attacking Canary.

One man gained his footing much faster then his counterpart, quickly lashing out at the waiting barbarian with a high attack meant to cleave him in half. The blade was met with blade, as Cade blocked the attack by holding his sword up with both hands, one on the hilt one on the far end of the blade. Just as the swords locked the barbarian lashed out with savage kick to the man's groin that broke the steel lock. Then Cade thrusted the tip of his sword's pommel into the canary's eye socket, bursting the eye ball into jelly forcing the man to fall to the snowy floor screaming in ferocious pain.

The barbarian could not place the killing blow as the second man tackled him into the brick wall behind with such force that both of them lost grips on their weapons and losing them into the snow. Through his peripheral vision he could see the sixth man fleeing the battle like a coward, rushing out the very same way Cade had come in. He was probably heading off to get help but that wasn't the barbarian's problem at the moment.

Cade shoved the Canary off him with all his strength then shifted his weight to his left leg, pivoting his right foot so that his toes were pointing forward and simultaneously striking out with a right punch. The impact of his fist fell upon the man's face, knocking his head back and forcing the canary to stumble back. This was hand to hand combat, and the barbarian was enjoying every moment of it.

Cade retracted his hand instantly after the punch was landed, returning his body back to its original stance. The barbarian then shifted his weight to his right foot, pivoting on his left while rotating his body and striking out with his left arm at a ninety degree angle, landing a vicious left hook into the rib cage of the Canary. Cade could feel the man's ribs crack, while the barbarian brought his left hand back and regaining his position. Then once again he lashed out at the dummied man, this time with a right hook with all the same body motions just reverse from the left, impacting the man's chest. The feeling of broken bone upon strike brought pure joy to the barbarian as he continued his flurry of blows.

Cade moved back into his original stance, knee bent while lowering his shoulder as he dropped the right side of his body in a semi crouch position keeping his left fist up by his chin to protect his head. He rotated his hips forward, pushing on the ball of is back foot, punching his right fist up towards the man's chin keeping his arms bent at a right angle for the most power through delivery and follow through. The canary's head snapped back as blood and fragments of teeth spat from his shattered mouth as while his body fell limp to the ground.

Screaming still echoed through out the alley as the man with the busted eye squirmed on the ground in violent spasms of pain. Cade could saw the last man still rushing towards the mouth of the alley and was to far out of Cade's range to catch up, so the barbarian drew his cleaver from the sheath attached to the small of his back. He took thee hacks at the man he just felled, decapitating the defenceless canary at the throat to finish him off. Battle fatigue was catching up to Cade as he slumped back into the wall behind him, taking deep breaths to catch air while enjoying the sight of the wounded man in the distance screaming in pain. he wasn't going anywhere.

Shai?......where did that beauty go? Cade thought while thumbing through the snow for his longsword while resting his over taxed body. He grasped the hilt of his sword and once more slumped against the wall, contemplating what to do with the man before him. And if he was gonna go looking for his new acquaintance.
Cade
The Crimson Hand

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Donor (1)

Next