[Dreamscape: Open] Dance Across this Sea With Me

In which Caoin dreams of dancing across the Sea of Grass.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Herein lies the realm of dreams, where dreamers who are scattered all over the world in the physical can come together in the mysterious world of dreams. Remember, unless one is a Dreamwalker, there is no control over dreams. Ever. Anything can happen, and by threading a dream, you are subject to whomever can walk dreams and the whims of Storytellers.

Postby Caoin on November 13th, 2011, 7:13 am

Date: Fall, Day 04, 511 AV

The wind blew across the moonlit sea, sparkling ripples of rain-soaked grass lighting up like a million blue fireflies in the light of Leth. The sky was a dark blue, the stars shone like blue-white fire, the grass appeared a pale blue compared to the shimmering golds and greens that Syna’s light brought. There was not a cloud in the sky, and yet the land bathed in the rain that fell from the nothingness of the sky, as if Leth were crying on the world, as if his light was melting into the gentle shower that fell. Wave upon wave came across the surface of the grass, driven by the wind. It truly was an inland ocean, this Sea of Grass. The pounding of the rain mixed with the thumping pound of heart beats, hoof beats, the sound of a herd of wild horses crossing the plains. In the middle of it all stood one feminine figure, bathing in the light of Leth, the tears that he seemed to shed.

In the middle of it all, it was Caoin who stood, adorned in a simple navy blue dress that hugged her figure tightly before billowing out around her pale legs. Her long brown hair, what of it that wasn’t clinging to her skin as tightly as her soaked dress, whirled about her. The starlit beads of rain that found her flesh gathered on her skin, until gravity pulled them down towards the soil below her, leaving trails along her body. Her head was tilted back, her face exposed to the sky, her arms raised at her side. She was spinning, dancing, the billowing bottom of her dress flowing around her like rippling water. Her lips pressed together in the faintest of smiles, parted and soft laughter spilled forth. The tips of her fingers stretched out, brushing against the grass around her, and then she wasn’t touching grass anymore, but a soft, velvety fur.

The pounding of the running horses was all around her now, a herd of them circling her. Striders, the horses of her people. The horses that were the spirit of her people, their life and blood, their ancestors. Caoin’s gaze left the night sky above her and as she danced, she stared at the horses who circled her, her fingers brushing the coat of each as it passed by her. She stared into the gentle eyes of each beast as it galloped by her, eyes with burning points of fire in them, a flame that she could only imagine represented the life of the Endyrkas people, the life that she felt driving her to dance.

Liath, her own dun strider, was there. Eoachan, the mare that had claimed her brother before his death. Her father’s strider, her mother’s. Striders she didn’t know, striders belonging to people she had never met, striders who had long since passed. All of them circled once before galloping off through the grassy sea, fading into the grass like ghosts. Their hooves pounding against the earth, Caoin moved to the pulsing sound, her heart beat with theirs and she danced to that beat. Her legs began to move, carrying her long as she started to run along with the stampeding striders, spinning and dancing around them, between them, her body moving through their bodies. She could smell the sweet scent of the grass and the rain. She could smell the sweat of the horses as she moved amongst them, and her own sweat, all of it mixing with the rain that trailed down their bodies, falling into the grass and dirt at their feet.

The cool wet of the muddied ground felt good against her bare feet each time they met the earth. Running with the striders, her hair whipped wildly as her body twisted and turned in a dance as free as the spirits that ran with her. Caoin laughed, she cried tears of joy, and she danced across the grassy blue sea.

MizNo Word Count661
Language Key
Pavi Speech
Common Speech

cause it's almost like
your heaven's trying everything
to keep me out
-- Far From Home by FFDP

Links
My Graphic Workshop
My Post Templates
Caoin
of the Amethyst Clan

Words: 142714
Joined roleplay: September 26th, 2011, 10:26 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Artist (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Sterling Brody on November 13th, 2011, 2:33 pm

The Sea of Grass was a home long lost from Sterling Brody. It had been a hefty handful of years since he left the moving tent city of Endrykas. The magnificence of the prestigious Striders shone forever bright in the foreground of his mind at all times. He was true to his heritage, and his thoughts and dreams often reflected it. This particular dream was a prime example. Basking in the midnight rain, his emerald colored shirt soaked with the moisture that descended from the sky, Sterling stared at the starry sky. Their masses seemed to be multiplied, casting a dusting of sparkles across the entirety of the dark blue void. It was beautiful. The wispy grasses were blowing gently, the sky was flawless, the rain was cool and refreshing, and the sound of hoof beats took him home.

Wait, hoof beats?

Sterling looked around, searching for the herd of Striders that he could distinctly make out in the distance. For a moment, he misplaced the sound as being his own heartbeat, but he knew he had thought wrong. Crossing the horizon before him was the said herd, but there was something else. In the midst of the herd was what appeared to be a young woman. Her hair was dark and plastered with rain, her body lean and strong, outlined by the wet cloth that stuck to her body. A Drykas woman. The scene brought a smile to his face, and for a moment, he longed to be back in Endrykas, sharing in the glory of his people. It instilled in him a sense of pride to be able to claim his Drykas heritage.

Breaking out into a run, he pulled the emerald garment off over his head and abandoned it to run out to the herd. The closer he drew, the stampeding cluster broke to make way for him. Delicately, one at a time, they dispersed. His bare chest collected the rain that fell from the sky as he stood before her. For a moment, he could think of nothing to say, so instead he simply took in her form and admired her beauty. Her running through the rain had caused her hair to wind up in an attractively untamed mess, and her dark navy dress clung to her body… Also in an attractive manner.

Words escaped him. Instead he simply stood before her in the wavering grass, a sense of pride swelling in him. What was he thinking when he left Endrykas? This was how it should be; Drykas man and woman, taking their place amongst their people and Striders alike for the sake of the well-being of their kind.

Sterling Brody
Sterling Brody Whitehoof, of the Emerald Clan

Words: 15695
Joined roleplay: November 11th, 2011, 1:09 am
Character sheet

Postby Caoin on November 14th, 2011, 12:20 am

It was her and the horses, running in the rain, her body twirling wildly about amongst them. She could feel the heat from their bodies as they ran, not even the rain was enough to cool them off completely. Her senses were overwhelmed by the smell of horse and sweat and sweet grass, by the sound of pounding hearts and hooves, the sound of the rain falling. She almost didn’t notice the approaching stranger, until he reached the horses. She could sense, by the way they moved, the wave of striders parting before the figure. She spun to face the stranger as the horses parted and he stepped into the small space where Caoin was standing, her dance having ended as she stood staring back at him.

This moment between them seemed like an eternity in a world where time didn’t really exist. Her brown eyes traced the length of his figure, from his damp chocolate hair to the tanned skin of his naked chest. His body was toned, and streaked with rivulets of water. Her gaze made its way back up to meet his own blue eyes, she had to look up to meet his gaze. He was pleasing to the eyes, but it wasn’t with attraction that Caoin was examining, but rather with curiosity. As much as a Drykas girl her age should be looking to settle down and start a family, Caoin wasn’t. She had no interest in men beyond friendship. So while he may have been eyeing her as a piece of tail, she was simply inspecting another person.

As she had been assessing him, Caoin had also been waiting for him to speak. When he didn't, she decided to. “Are you going to say something, or are you just going to stare…” she trailed of as she waited for a response. She spoke in common, unsure if the man before her was Drykas or not. While she stood there, she shifted her wait so that it rested mostly on her right leg, her right hand coming up to rest on her hip as she looked at him with one brow raised.

MizNo Word Count356
Language Key
Pavi Speech
Common Speech

cause it's almost like
to keep me out
-- Far From Home by FFDP

Links
My Graphic Workshop
My Post Templates
Caoin
of the Amethyst Clan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sterling Brody on November 14th, 2011, 12:59 am

Sterling chuckled as he took in the woman’s words, and he shook his head. Knowing by her horse dance in the pouring rain that she was Drykas, he replied in Pavi, ”I don’t know, I might just stare.” Reaching out with a strong, calloused hand to shake hers he said, ”I’m Sterling Brody, of the Emerald Clan.” After an awkward moment of silence, he looked up to the sky. It burned with a strange flare of deep, dark blue, then red, then green, and back again, like a strange foreign kaleidoscope. The falling rain steadily slowed until it was a solid wall of slow motion downpour. He reached out with one hand to touch the odd droplets suspended in the sky.

The world around them became a never ending horizon. If they looked out into the distance, as far as they could see through the sky’s ominous glow, the land seemed to drop off sharply. They might as well have just been on some sort of floating island. A vast chunk of the Sea of Grass, suspended in the color-changing sky. In the background, the beating hooves of the Striders faded off into the distance. At first, he thought he heard them crescendo back up, but it was the sound of thunder that reached his ears. As he looked back up unto the sky, the lightning cracked. The heavy, thick colors of the sky were touched by brighter, luminous versions of the darker ones. The highlights threw transparent glows against the pairs of faces standing in the grass.

Looking back down to the beauty before him, he grinned. He loved storms. He loved the sounds, the colors, the feel, the taste. The humidity in the air felt wonderful, and instilled in him a sense of peace. He hoped the woman before him was comfortable with the change in the weather. He wasn’t ready for her to leave.

Sterling Brody

Character sheet

Postby Caoin on November 14th, 2011, 4:17 am

MizNo Challenge: Word of the DayDate: November 13, 2011
Word: Lyard
Definition:
  • Streaked or spotted with gray or white.

The change in weather and slight change of scenery didn’t seem to have any adverse affect on Caoin’s mood. Nor did the disappearance of the striders, a soft smile gracing her face as she watched the last of them disappear into the distance, a gorgeous dun gray lyard stallion. She watched the stallion disappear before turning to look back at the man. She seemed just as content to have been left with the company of the Emerald clansman, as she had been in the company of the striders. He reached out to her, offering a hand in greeting, along with an introduction and a less than witty retort to her question. The woman shook her head and rolled her eyes as he indicated that he might continue to just watch her, it was the kind of response she expected from a brash youth who thought with his loins, rather than a grown man who should think with a little more than that. Oh well, she was in a playful mood, so she would play along. “Well then, mister Sterling Brody of the Emerald clan,” Caoin started in Pavi as she took the offered hand, her gaze remaining on his eyes, “I am Caoin Silverstrider of the Amethyst clan.”

When the words left her mouth, she smirked at the playboy and tugged on the offered hand, to pull him towards her. “Dance with me.” With her free hand, Caoin reached out for his other hand and, even if he had stood his ground, she closed the space between them further as she stepped in closer to him. She would close the space between them and step so close in fact that he’d feel her warm breath on his chest as she dropped her head and finally let go of his eyes with her own. “It’s a perfect time… a perfect place… for dancing,” she murmured softly, mostly to herself. Another streak of lightning tore across the sky. She wasn’t one for flirting, but that didn’t mean that she didn’t enjoy having a good time, especially when she found herself in such a state of excitement. Her heart still raced in her chest, keeping the pace of the beat the horses had left behind. “Dance with me…” she repeated, her voice softer, her tone indicating that it was more of a request than a demand. She didn’t want the excitement from before to end, she wasn’t ready for it to end just yet.

MizNo Word Count411
Language Key
Pavi Speech
Common Speech

cause it's almost like
to keep me out
-- Far From Home by FFDP

Links
My Graphic Workshop
My Post Templates
Caoin
of the Amethyst Clan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sterling Brody on November 14th, 2011, 4:10 pm

The Drykas woman’s aloof reactions brought a deep chuckle to Sterling’s chest. She was truly lovely, a fine, strong specimen of his kind. He liked it, and he liked a chase. As she took his hand in greeting, he noted her firm grip, yet another testament to her heritage. It brought a genuine smile to his face. It had been so long since he had spoken with another one of his own kind. An Amethyst clanswoman, and a feisty one, at that. ”Caoin Silverstrider.” He repeated after her, committing it to memory. When looking at women of natural beauty it was hard to remember that they usually had names!

Dance with me.

As she reached out for his hand and eliminated the space between them, he met her halfway. The hearty breath that left her chest with the words bounded off the skin of his chest, creating a warm spot in the middle of the rain-chilled skin. The feeling was magnified in his dream state, and brought out in him a desire to have the feeling envelop his entire form. The warmth was comforting and relaxing. Wrapping an arm around her waist, Sterling pulled her body against his, feeling the cool, damp cloth of her dress against his chest and stomach. He held her other hand out delicately in his, and stepping forward, he began to turn her about.

Funny, he had never been one much for dancing. It seemed silly to him, as a matter of fact, but with a fine female in his arms, could he really object? Maybe it was her. She must have had powers in this dream that brought out the dancer in him. His footfall was not perfect, but he obliged her wish and continued to turn and twist, spinning her out once and a while to allow her to accentuate the dance with her own personal flair. She had been a wondrous sight to behold, sprinting and turning about amongst the Striders. Magnificent in every meaning of the word. And now here she was, in his arms. He knew, without a doubt in his mind, that he would return home some day and take his own proud Drykas woman and start a family of his own. He would have come back from his years of journeying with many a trinket to present his bride, or brides, and would provide a comfortable living experience for his Pavilion.

Being with Caoin, seeing her pivot and flourish in their little personal dance, made his heart throb for home. It seemed so far away, and he yearned to be back in the moving tent city of Endrykas.

Sterling Brody

Character sheet

Postby Caoin on November 15th, 2011, 5:37 am

Caoin felt his body against hers as he pulled her in and the two began to dance. She wasn’t much of a dancer herself and she was far too busy enjoying herself, so if Sterling wasn’t dancing well, she didn’t notice it at all. She certainly didn’t show any signs that it bothered her. What difference did how well they danced make when the point was to enjoy yourself? They twirled about on the floating island of grass, their bodies moving through the slow-motion droplets of rain. He would spin her out and she would spin back in, smiling at him as she did so, her freed hand always either finding its way back to his hand or to his shoulder, depending on how hard she spun back in.

“Tell me, Sterling Brody, why have I not seen you before,” Caoin asked, “You speak our language,” she continued. Her right hand ran along his shoulder and down his arm, her fingers tracing the thick barbs that formed the windmark that was tattooed there, “You bear our marks.” She looked up at him again, “Your eyes show that you feel the same sense of freedom here that I feel… you are clearly Drykas, but I haven’t seen you around.” She’d met quite a few of the citizens of Endrykas, but she had never seen him before. Then again, Endrykas was just like any other city; you could go your whole life without meeting everyone who lived there. “Furthermore, Brody doesn’t sound like a Drykas name…” She wasn’t familiar with the name and it didn’t sound like the name of any pavilion she’d ever heard of, it wasn’t really the type of name that a Drykas family would have.

She was being curious, asking questions, but she could allow herself such luxuries in their current environment. There were no dangers that she could see, so she might as well relax and enjoy the company, and getting to know the man that she was dancing with didn’t seem like too bad of an idea either. It was always good to meet new people and broaden your horizons, and it could be especially entertaining under such interesting circumstances. Besides, the silence between the two was far too awkward for her, she couldn’t let it remain so silent after having been in the middle of a heard of thundering horses.

MizNo Word Count395
Language Key
Pavi Speech
Common Speech

cause it's almost like
to keep me out
-- Far From Home by FFDP

Links
My Graphic Workshop
My Post Templates
Caoin
of the Amethyst Clan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sterling Brody on November 15th, 2011, 4:09 pm

The woman in Sterling’s arms brought a smile to his face unlike any other. He had been with women before. He liked them. They were witty, and strong. A lot of them stood on their own with all the strength of a man, and then some. He had seen women make grown men cry, and it scared him. And yet it captivated him. He spun Caoin out and laughed at her flourish of spins and turns. Each time she spun back into him, a wave of warmth caressed his body, radiating from her touch to consume his entire being, inside and out. She was blissfully lovely, and it made him yearn to go back home. As he spun her out again, upon her spinning back in, he lifted her high into the air by her waist before executing his own spin and placed her gently back down on the ground.

He considered her questions thoughtfully before answering. ”Lovely Caoin, you’ve not seen me before because I left Endrykas years ago. My mother is a human, but my father took her as his first bride, and she was accepted as a Drykas. My last name is Whitehoof. Sterling Whitehoof. But I took my mother’s name, Brody, for my own. Sterling Brody Whitehoof, or Sterling Brody. Or Brody. Or Sterling. Or, actually,” He chuckled. ”My mother calls me Bear. For my size. Mother is a tiny woman. Very tiny, very petite, but with all the grace of an adult woman. My father watched her kill a glassbeak in the Sea, and it sealed her to his heart. Such a strong, small woman. He loved her for it, and welcomed her into his home. Took him a while to woo her, but here I am.”

He smiled as he twisted her out and spun her around, and brought her back in. Turning on his heel, he dipped her low and held her out, her back bent elegantly, his face near hers. He whispered, ”I won’t drop you.” Lower he dipped her, slowly. He said quietly, ”Sometimes one just feels like… Like he has to go. I can’t explain it. I just felt like I needed to leave Endrykas for a while, and see what was out there. I miss it though.” Her tipped her back upwards and held her close to him. ”Caoin, are you real? This, around us, none of it is real. It’s an embodiment of our pride and joy, the Sea, our home. It’s glorified to suit us, but… I know I’m dreaming. Are you real? Out in Endrykas somewhere? Or are you a glorified version of my desire to marry, placed here before me to convince me to return home? I cannot be certain.” He prodded gently, careful not to offend her by calling her fake or falsified. He wanted to know.

”Because if you are real, when I return to Endrykas, I will find you.”

Sterling Brody

Character sheet

Postby Caoin on November 15th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Caoin was caught off guard by the sudden lift and her hands gripped his arms by instinct to steady herself as he spun them about. Her feet finally found solid ground again as Brody gently set her down coming out of the spin, and she eased her grip on his arms as the small rush from the lift subsided. He had been silent as he’d considered her questions, thinking about the answers. He had left Endrykas, something Caoin had often considered, but had never been able to bring herself to do. She’d visited cities along the Run, cities that her people traded with often, but she’d never felt an urge strong enough to keep her away from her home. “You must love your mother very much, I can respect your decision to take her name…” Caoin trailed off into a girlish giggle, “Bear, huh? Well, she certainly sounds like a good woman… Bear.”

Her body moved away from his as she spun her out again, the world around her seeming to spin with her from her point of view. As she reached the peak of the spin, her eyes fell on the horizon, that beautiful point of mystery where the sky and the land joined together as one. With her hand in his and that sight before her, for a moment she felt something that she hadn’t felt in awhile, and she exhaled in a soft sigh. And then she was spinning again, back into Brody’s arms. She felt his hand on her back, his body moving in towards hers and she reacted instinctively again, letting her weight rest against the hand that supported her. Her back arched in a gentle curve, and for a brief moment, she considered being seductive, but the thought quickly dissipated as Brody spoke again. His face was so close to hers as he whispered to her in reassurance, not that the thought of him dropping her had ever crossed her mind to begin with.

Caoin remained silent as he explained his reason for leaving, understanding completely that unexplainable drive to see beyond the borders of what one knows as home. As Brody tipped her upwards, once more pulling her close, he asked some of the same questions that she was wondering herself. How was one to know whether anything or anyone encountered in such a dream was real or not? “I could ask the same of you,” Caoin responded, “How do I know that you’re not some figment of my imagination?” She sighed again, louder. “It is quite the dilemma. You declare that you are real. And I declare that I am real. But who is right? Are we both right? There’s no way for us to know here.” Dreams were funny things, warped versions of reality. Any person encountered could not be guaranteed to be a real person, they might only be fragmented memories of people that one had met, pieced together to make an entirely fictional person in the world of dreams. The same held true for all elements of a dream.

“I will find you,” he finished. Caoin couldn’t help but grin.

“Is that a promise?”

MizNo Word Count525
Language Key
Pavi Speech
Common Speech

cause it's almost like
to keep me out
-- Far From Home by FFDP

Links
My Graphic Workshop
My Post Templates
Caoin
of the Amethyst Clan

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Journal
Plotnotes

Postby Sterling Brody on November 16th, 2011, 3:10 pm

Sterling was at first worried that maybe Caoin found his story less than mildly amusing, but she soon piped up. The way his nickname sounded coming from her was pleasant. It brought a hearty smile to his face. As she questioned him on the credibility of his actual existence, he pondered. She was entirely right. Here he was, declaring himself a real, living, breathing person. A sleeping one, but real nonetheless. She, too, was claiming to be of flesh and blood. Who was telling the truth? Was it just a figment of his dream telling him to tell her that he was real, or vice versa? Surely a woman of such grace, dancing with the Striders in the middle of the storm was something his own mind thought up. He knew what he wanted out of life, or at least a roundabout idea. He knew what he liked to see in his women, and this was the perfect embodiment of the specimen he longed for.

It occurred to him, after thinking for a while, that the woman he wanted reflected all of the traits of his very own mother, Dawna. The dark headed woman was petite and fierce, with all the pride of a powerful lioness. She was a huntress, a warrior, a mother, a wife. She was in every aspect perfect in his eyes, and he would settle for nothing less. How was it that these few short moments of dancing with Caoin had made Sterling’s insides churn excitedly? It seemed unrealistic. Well, they were dreaming.

The rain falling in slow motion around them came to a complete standstill. The world went into a reverse motion, and the rain fell up instead of down. It raised high into the sky, and found its place in the dark void above. The individual droplets began to form glowing masses high above. Stars. They twinkled and glittered as if someone had sprinkled them into the sky deliberately. The ground beneath them began to rise too, transforming from wild, swaying grasses into elegant buildings. In the distance, the lightning struck mountains into existence. Sterling held Caoin close as the world beneath them shattered from their homeland into the captivating city of Lhavit.

Sterling spun her around so that he was standing behind her. He wrapped an arm around her mid-drift, and pointed over her shoulder to the city in the distance. ”This is it,” Said he. ”This is where I am right now, as we speak. It’s far away, a place called Lhavit. The stars shine bright, and there are women who shimmer. They have curling horns like the barbs of my windmark, and their hair and eyes come in strange shades. Some of them I have only noticed out at night, and others come out only during the day. There are men who look like them too. They’re strange, I’ve never seen the likes of them before. The city is beautiful, too. But it isn’t Endrykas.”

Sterling Brody

Character sheet

Next