Glyphing

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Glyphing

Postby Nex Paciscor on November 16th, 2011, 8:44 pm

Understanding things is always fulfilling, and after rereading the lore on glyphing along with some very informative posts by active players I find myself still confused since I've yet to see posts dealing with certain uses of the art, and have no idea how exactly they would work. So my question is about the following:

Restrict magic into a fixed space
Channel magic into an area, target or path
Split the effects of magic
Combine the effects of magic
Stabilize wild magic

Path - A Path is formed by two Barriers that act as boundaries, forming a 'road' for a magical effect to travel on. It is used to channel magic where desired or connect different sigils. Just like Barriers, they can transport the magic stored in a Focus, but require a master user to channel hostile magic.

Switch - A Switch is a single glyph, typically painted in a different color. It is used to split a magical effect into multiple parts, or merge multiple effects. The division is either power-wise (splitting big effect into small effects), or function-wise (splitting two effects of the same magic). Typically used with Paths.

On the listed things, I have no idea how glyphing could bring about such things, mostly because I don't know how the path and switch exactly work to go through with said things. If anyone knows I'd be more than happy to hear from them.
Nex Paciscor
Player

Words: 159798
Joined roleplay: March 22nd, 2011, 6:42 am
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Glyphing

Postby Kavala on November 16th, 2011, 9:04 pm

I'll give it a try.

Okay.. so what I think this means... not being the writer of Glyphing.. is that... when you get to bigger more complicated glyphs... you don't get just one center focus, but a group of them or one center focus storing a group of 'actions' all together. You use the path and switch like you do say a model railroad...

You want the train with all its cars to run the tracks in a certain order... choo choo first... various cars.. then caboose.... The track is the path and the switches are the connections on the tracks that tell the train which pathway to take when... go up hill? Go to the village? go south? Take that spur? So the engine of the train is the first spell/stored thing you want to appear out of the glyph and all the subsequent cars are various other actions effects that come boiling out of the glyph. So... if you don't use a path with all the switches and its not a simple magical thing... you get a total mess boiling out.

You use path/switch to say "First A, Then B, Then C, Then D... and that makes the magic I wanted to have stored in there work in the way and in the order I stored it there..."

Instead of randomly triggering the glyph and getting maybe DABC or BCAD or CDAB etc. You are just ordering things to happen in the way you want them to happen, etc.

Jen
The Sanctuary The Sanctuary Forum Riverfall The Cytali
Reverie Isle Wolf Creek Training Course
Please Note:
  • This pc is maxed out in Animal Husbandry, Medicine, Observation, Rhetoric, and Socialization.
  • Kavala a Master Teacher. Students she is teaching in thread can earn more than the maxium 5 XP per thread.
  • This pc has a Konti Gift of Animal Empathy. She has a superpower from a Riverfall city event that allows animals of all sorts and Kelvics (in kelvic form) to speak clear understandable Common around her.
  • Kavala is a Konti but was raised in the Drykas culture so her accent is entirely Pavi though she can speak Common, Pavi, and Tukant well. She's only conversational in Kontinese.
Kavala
I am more than the sum of my parts.

Words: 3295757
Joined roleplay: October 25th, 2009, 1:46 am
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 17
Featured Thread (1) Mizahar Grader (1)
Trailblazer (2) Overlored (1)
Master Merchant (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Riverfall Seasonal Challenge (2) 2014 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)