Pigs and Peppers

What a cute plump boy! O, Rosy cheeks and beady eyes!

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Pigs and Peppers

Postby Jilitse on November 18th, 2011, 10:57 am

27TH OF FALL 511 AV
MEKANIKS AND GOLAMS

It was another day spent in the confines of her shop. No sun, no pretty clouds. No outdoors. Days were beginning to become straightforward since she opened up Mekaniks and Golams. There was an endless need for stocking and restocking. People came looking for something she didn't have. Sometimes they came buying all of one item. The money came in trickles. Some days she could sell a piece or two, other days there was just no one passing by. Jil considered getting a few gold mizas back for her wares as a good day. Judging by the ledger that she kept, Mekaniks and Golams wasn't about to go fold and close. Far from it. It just needed to pick customers up the business and roll the cash in.

That needed a lot of work, but she was set in her objectives. A Nuit convinced is a Nuit determined. Jilitse took every step necessary to keep herself aligned with the goal of making the shop succeed.

And it just happened that today was a lucky day!

The first step in tripping upon extremely good luck was to acknowledge the opportunity, no matter how unfortunate things appear to be at first. A positive outlook and light-hearted attitude preferable, but not required. The second is to accept the event and go through the motions, fighting either logic and emotion that would go against serendipity. The third is to take advantage of luck and fate. A small offering or prayer of thanks to the gods Ovek and Lhex would be greatly appreciated, though not obligatory.

This recipe was not for Nuits, of course, and Jil hated disruptions in her plans. Nonetheless, she would consider this stroke of luck a boon. Jil could follow the tempo of her new life with great adaptability, that much she could prove.

It was high noon when her customer of the day arrived, a comely woman plump due to childbirth. She had her curly brown hair held by a lacy cap, and she wore fine clothes, which said something about her purse. Age had shunned her beauty, and there was a matronly feel about her. Like a distraught mother, a pre-occupied wife. She arrived in front of Mekaniks and Golams like she had meant to visit, stopping and closing her toes in front of the door, and later peering at the shop's window. She appeared disinterested of the wares being sold, looking for something else.

Jil appeared from a dark corner, neck extending out of the shadows. She looked curious, the usual emotionless face bearing a semblance of greeting. The woman greeted her with a voiceless, "Are you open?" She nodded and let the visitor in.

The woman looked around the small space with interest, but never setting her eyes on any of the items on the shelves. "Greetings." Jil asked, "How may I be of help?" It occurred to the Nuit that the woman did not come alone, as there was a thin leather leash tied to a fashionable bangle. Jil traced the end of the delicate rope with her eyes- it was obviously not meant for restraining a pet - and met a young man. He was dressed in the same fashion as, Jil deduced, for they kind of looked like, his mother. There was something odd in his actions, he walked without swaying his arms, and hand his hands curled under his chin, as if mimicking an animal. He approached the woman timidly and bowed his head shyly. The boy was a full grown man with the disposition of a kid.

"We require your services," The woman added, "He has been looking forward to meeting you."

"I see."
Jil would never put forward her skill in animation unless needed. 'I am gadgeteer' was her front unless the customer was interested in golems; 'I've been alive for 5 centuries as a mage in Sahova', was her proud heritage when customers wanted a guarantee on her shop's golems. Her shop sold more 'Mekaniks' than 'Golams', but those who wanted Golams paid more, much much more, than those who ordered gadgets. She need not think twice of her visitor's ability to pay for whatever request she had, but she had to be careful not to dampen the willingness. Ever politely, she asked, "May I get your names?"

"You may call me Missus Rhian, and this is my son Jojn."
She said, "We are in the assumption that you can," she hesitated, "raise the dead." It was a sentence, not a question.

Ah, so this customer was straightforward. "That is partially true, Missus Rhian. I am able to animate corpses." She followed this fact with, "But in the sense of bringing back those who have joined Dira." A short pause, and a glance at her customer's face, "I apologize for I do not have the capability to do so."

Rhian raised a brow, nodding as if she had confirmed something important. "I thought so, too." She said, "But I just had to hear it straight from you. I heard this from a neighbor who heard it from a friend... It's a long story, you know how gossips, I mean, word of mouth, go." Her boy beamed a smile at Jil, and the woman noticed this. "It appears Jojn could attest to your honesty."

The man-boy pulled closer to his mother and whispered something inaudible. Rhian then told Jil, "I have seen your work. Both your regular items and the special ones." She added, "We wanted to hire your services."

There was small talk, more than Jil would have liked. Rhian overlooked not a small detail from the backstory, "We are aware that you're not an Alvad, Miss Jil." This hinted that whoever was the source of her referral was aware that Jilitse was from Sahova. And that her name was also passed around. Good, the shop would gain popularity if this continue. Jil only needed to live up to her customer's expectations, and if possible, exceed them.

"But maybe you've been around long enough to know what Alvadas is like." Jil confirmed this with a curt nod, and Rhian continued,"We've got at a problem at home. This has been going on since forever. My cook uses too much pepper whenever she would cook, and my poor boy here don't do well with pepper." Jojn stuck out his tongue in disgust.

"It would be nice if the pepper stayed in the food that my cook would cook, but the pepper is everywhere! Always everywhere, like dust!" She proceeded to complain arrogantly, "And Jojn here, as a kid he hated pepper, and he would bawl his guts out if he could at the scent of it." Jojn looked more and more distressed as Rhian continued her narration. Jil knew there was a hidden story in the tale, and she had to catch those inaudible hints, things that are revealed only by facial expressions and behavior. "I am a very disciplined woman, Jil." She waited for no accolade, "And I do not take kindly to boys who bawl their guts out like they were silly little girls." Jojn's lower lip trembled.

"I would do something about it. But my cook is the best I ever had, and her family's been serving my family for generations, if you get what I'm saying. I can't just throw her out." There was genuine exasperation in her voice. Jil could now put one and one together. If the missus did not take kindly to boys who cried, and she could not throw out her cook which means there was always pepper everywhere, which in turn meant that the boy always cried and misbehaved... then he must have been a, to put in kind words, well-disciplined boy.

"A well-disciplined boy Jojn must have been then." Jil commented, though she meant not that the boy did not misbehave, but that he was disciplined well by Rhian. Of course Missus Rhian did not catch the pun. And wouldn't have found it punny nor funny had she understood what Jilitse meant.

Rhian was stern-looking as she said, "Nothing pained my heart more than to see my boy suffer from pepper." She quickly switched to an affectionate tone, "I tried various means to remedy his allergy, but found none. I mean, eventually the bawling stopped but he never did grow up properly."

What manner of abused child would, Jil thought sarcastically. But Rhian was a customer, so she waited for the order to be placed.

I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)

Pigs and Peppers

Postby Jilitse on November 20th, 2011, 12:03 pm

Only, there didn't seem to be any order at all. The Missus continued talking about Jojn's childhood, as if this should be a matter of interest to Jilitse. The Nuit, wanting to be polite, could not interrupt the rather lengthy story of how Jojn grew up as a shy kid, how he had been bullied, how she eventually chose to keep him at home to ensure his safety from the outside world, only there was so much pepper at home, and Jojn would sneeze and cry. It was becoming tedious, but she had no choice but to listen because good graces dictated a calm and collected temperament. Jojn's tale was etched in her memory. If given the choice she would forget all of it.

And then she dropped the bomb. "I want you to make my son a golem."

"A what?"
Did she mean she wanted Jil to make a golem for Jojn, or did she want Jojn to be turned into a golem. She tried to be circumspect, "Pardon me Missus Rhian... you said a golem?"

The Missus snorted. "Yes. A golem. I want you to make a replica of my son. One that is not allergic to pepper. I want you to turn my son into a golem," she stared hard at Jilitse, as if to say, 'I said what I meant and I meant what I said.'

If the Nuit had a heart it would be drumming in her chest. She was confident she could do it, but she also knew the implications of such a magic. Jil warily talked back, "You mean to duplicate your son?"

"Perhaps we can find a suitable body to host..."

But before Rhian could make any additional demands, Jil hardened her voice. "You are requesting me to make your child a Nuit, missus." She disagreed very slowly, "While such a request is within my abilities to create, I currently do not offer anything other than what you see in this shop. There are special requests, and I try to accommodate them if I could." She fixed her eyes on the woman, "But not because I can, I would."

"If this is about the money, I am willing to pay a hundred gold for you to make my son into a golem. I want him alive, not undead like you."
Rhian asserted, "I want him turned into a pretty puppet, all that is him, without the pepper allergy. A hundred gold should more than suffice. If you find that insufficient, I am certainly open to negotiation."

"Thank you for placing great value in my skill,"
Jil was flattered someone would offer her a good sum of money. She considered that the woman was already putting forward her wealth and would probably give up everything including the clothes she wore for her son. In her opinion, Jojn needed something better than being turned into a golem, so she tried a harder rebuke, "but I would not bargain on this one." Jil threw an emotionless gaze at Jojn, who looked back at her with interest. He sniffed in the air as if searching for something. How to tell Rhian that creating a Nuit through the Daek-Nuit ritual she was familiar with involved killing the source of the soul?

Missus Rhian scoffed, obviously hurt by being rejected, "I could find someone else to do it."

The Nuit thought logically and considered the possibility that the woman drew out this card to lure her to hesitation. She needed money, but she wasn't in dire need. There was nothing else to say.

Her customer took her silence as another rejection. She played her pity card, "Jilitse... maybe it would do us both better if you understand that I am getting old and not in the best of health. Very soon I would die, leaving my poor child behind." Jojn was sitting on the floor, one leg reaching to his head to scratch his eyebrow with his toe. "He would be left in the care of nobody else."

"Missus Rhian, if I may be a little forthright with my opinions, you hold Jojn in a leash, clearly he has problems way beyond an allergy to pepper. Such as not being in his right mind."
Jil asked, "If this is a matter of sneezing due to pepper, then why don't you just NOT buy pepper?" No sarcasm, just plain curious. Jilitse had been long dead, and it was impossible for her to comprehend the demands of a pulser's palate. Yet, she wondered, can't there be anything else out there that is not pepper but is like pepper?

It was startling how the madam's face went from pale in humiliation to bright red in anger. "Never! Never have I been so impolitely talked down upon!" She belted out and then took a swift turn, tugging at Jojn. The man-boy was jerked to the floor, but he scrambled on fours and found his feet before his mother made for the door.

Good riddance, Jil thought.

Peace lasted until her next visitor for the day entered. She was a skinny woman with a long neck, dressed in dull brown and olive, with the dirtiest apron she had ever seen. The visitor's short hair was crumpled and unruly, in the color of salt and pepper. But she didn't look too old, and nothing in her smooth face indicated that she was even beyond thirty.

Pepper, Jil wondered. This woman smelled like pepper. Too much like pepper, and she could not help but react to the scent of it.

"Hatchoo." Jil sneeze, "Welcome. Hatchoo---"

Just her luck, she thought. This must be Missus Rhian's cook.

"Hi Jilitse," the Cook greeted casually, "Did a Missus Rhian dropped by in here today?"

I. Vox Populi, Vox Dei
II. The Night the Watchtowers Cried

I am nothing special, of this I am sure. I am a common woman with common thoughts and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough.
Jilitse
I just arrived (again). Please be kind.

Words: 520837
Joined roleplay: March 5th, 2010, 8:22 am
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 7
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Artist (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Power Fork (1)
GP's Angels (1)