Was Feeling Fine [completed]

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Not found on any map, Endrykas is a large migrating tent city wherein the horseclans of Cyphrus gather to trade and exchange information. [Lore]

Moderator: Gossamer

Re: (OPEN) Was Feeling Fine 1.S.510

Postby Dhanya on March 11th, 2010, 10:40 am

Pygmy couldn't hear a word Kayiri or Vanator said past the part where Van said she was good. Everything after that was waffle, the sound absorbed by how good she felt about herself. Van thought she'd done well, la, la, la!

She walked next to Van as the three walked to his pavilion, having eventually been convinced to let go of her hold on him. One could not walk and hug at the same time without doing so awkwardly. She probably would have been willing to try but Vanator had gently moved her away. Such was life.

She followed along as the two men reminsced, looking about at what she could find. A tavern caught her eye and she resolved to ask Vanator about it once she was more appropriately dressed. She didn't look a thing like anyone else she had seen and naturally, that had resulted in many odd looks.

She liked the attention anyway.

"Hey Vanator, Kayiri?" She asked, noting they now seemed to be in a residential area. "Does that tavern in town take performers?"

Goat girl had to eat, goat girl had to get paid.
Dhanya
Probably attractive in real life.

Words: 136227
Joined roleplay: February 25th, 2010, 12:52 pm
Race: Kelvic
Character sheet
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Peer Reviewer (1)
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Vanator on March 12th, 2010, 2:35 am

Vanator gave Kayiri a wide smile and a brotherly slap on the back, then placed a hand on Pygmy's shoulder, leading her as he headed up the makeshift street. He laughed as he attempted to walk, the kelvic girl still firmly latched to him.

Vanator turned to the younger man. "After we separated at Din, Hex and I headed on a course to intercept Endrykas." He decided not to mention the strange mystical cave they had discovered, not until he and Hex learned more about the crystals they brought with them. "We arrived here around the 55th."

It had become almost comical trying to walk with Pygmy clinging to him as they stumbled over each other's feet. As much as he enjoyed her affection, Vanator had to gently pull her off of him. He gave her a big smile and a wink, offering her his hand instead. He didn't think she would mind, and with a hold of her hand, they could not be accidentally separated in the crowd.

The three of them approached a group of tents, an area where several members of his Pavilion visiting the city were set up. He stopped at one of the pavilions, setting the stock containers on a stump near the entrance. Vanator regarded Pygmy's question about the tavern, having noted her interest in The Trough when they passed by. "Good performers are in demand in Endrykas. I would say the Trough would be a good place for a performer to make some money." He gave her a knowing smile, then glanced back to Kayiri. "Maybe, you should sing for Kayiri and I, and we will tell you whether you are good enough for the Trough." A wry grin stretched across his face, his eyebrows raised at Pygmy.
Vanator
There is fire shut up in my bones.

Words: 940033
Joined roleplay: January 8th, 2010, 1:16 pm
Race: Human, Drykas
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Medals: 6
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
Peer Reviewer (1) Overlored (1)
Donor (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)

Postby Kayiri on March 12th, 2010, 11:49 pm

"We need to find something to fight again, Vanator!" Kayiri said with his hardy laugh and smile. "Get everyone back together, go adventuring, find something interesting to do! Normal life is so monotonous," Kayiri had an odd spring in his step. Today had indeed been a very good day. His head was actually up, almost looking at the sky out of a strange invigorating happiness, but his eyes still scanned the road.

"Aye, that sounds fair, but first things first, we might want to look into getting Miss Pygmy here some some proper clothing and the like," Kayiri then added, gesturing with a quick nod of his head to the horribly misfitting attire she was currently wearing. "After all, I would indeed love to have my cloak back. I only have one or two," he then added with a slight chuckle. As he finally processed that Hex had continued to travel with Vanator, he frowned ever so slightly.

"Speaking of Hex and Dachua, do you know what has become of either? I haven't heard a word from either since we parted at Din, which is somewhat depressing, really. They were good folk, friend-for-life type, not just a meet-and-leave type," Kayiri rambled, looking over to Vanator, a curious disposition over his face and posture.
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Words: 114225
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 2:35 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

Postby Dhanya on March 13th, 2010, 3:30 am

Pygmy let the two Drykas engage each-other in conversation, it was clear they hadn't seen each-other in a while and Vanator was hardly ignoring her. She was happy enough. His suggestion had peaked her interest though. It would be good to see what standards were like in Endrykas, practicing couldn't hurt. Surely Kayiri and Vanator would be kind enough to lend an ear.

Kayiri had a point as well, while Pygmy could sing in anything, it didn't seem that the Drykas would like to see it. Something closer to clothing would be better.

She remembered she'd forgotten to make money. Couldn't get new clothes without money... Couldn't make money without new clothes. A stunning quandry until she remembered that she was a resourceful girl and not one to rest on her laurels. Something would turn up!

Pygmy hummed a tune under her breath, then softly ran through a set of scales, starting at middle C then working her way up high as she could comfortably go, then she went down low. She didn't really know what any of the notes were called, past the middle one because she'd been told about it. She did know she could get higher than she could low, though she was trying to work on it.

She kept singing, moving slightly away from the two men as they talked, no longer even passingly aware of their conversation. Pygmy was content to believe that it had nothing to do with her.

"They got married early," she sang, it was one of her favourite songs and a good warm up as well, it wasn't difficult to sing it, "never had much money..."

She kept time with her hands, clapping along to the beat.

"Then when he got laid off, they really hit the skids." Her feet were moving with the music now. "He started up his drinking, then they started fighting... He took it pretty badly, she took both the kids."

She didn't notice if people were looking at the crazy girl dressed in a cloak, dancing and singing in the streets. They were but people sang all the time and not everyone was kind enough to dress their slaves properly. She smiled at anyone who looked too hard, still standing close enough to Kayiri and Vanator to feel safe from interference.

"She said 'I'm not standing by, to watch you slowly die, so watch me walking, out the door, out the door, out the door..." She picked up her rhythm more as she sang, her voice becoming richer and stronger and heavy with emotion. The first time she'd heard it sung, she could have danced a loose waltz to it. Pygmy's version was slower and sadder.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Vanator on March 13th, 2010, 3:46 pm

Vanator grinned at the young man's suggestion. Kayiri was young and bold, a fine example of a Drykas warrior. The older man smiled, he had quite an adventurous Winter indeed. Meeting Evarette, The encounter at Din, the crystal cave, and of course meeting Pygmy.

"I have no idea where Dachua is, but Hex is still in Endrykas. We cook for each other sometimes, or ride out into the grasslands to get out of the city for a while."
Ever since the mysterious cave, the two of them had shared a strange kinship. He enjoyed the curious woman's company.

It was at that point the the feminine voice lifted over the men's conversation. Vanator turned to Pygmy, glancing at Kayiri before giving his attention to the crooning Kelvic. As her song swelled, Vanator listened to the words. His eyes grew somber, his mouth a flat line. Though the tale her lyrics told did not resemble his life story, it moved him. It made him think of Tamar, of the sadness of separation. He had been separated by so many he had cared about.

When the girl ended her song, his eyes remained fixed upon her, a whole new depth of respect had been earned by the deceptively young woman. A warm smile split his sober face, and he took several steps towards Pygmy. "That was beautiful, Pygmy." His hand rested on her shoulder. "Wait here." He disappeared into a pavilion several down from his own.

Vanator reappeared a few moments later, a folded up bundled in his hand. From the pavilion, a freckle face girl, barely a teen one would suppose, stuck her head out and grinned at Pygmy.

The Drykas man walked back to Kayiri and Pygmy, holding out a light blue tunic to the goat girl, a tan cord belt with it. "You have earned your first busk. I think this will fit you, it was my cousin's." He smiled widely, hoping she would accept the garment.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dhanya on March 16th, 2010, 9:54 am

Pygmy was caught in the words now, unaware of time or space or anything, no longer looking at the people nearby. Ah, she remembered why she liked this song so much. All that messing up and trying to make things right. It wasn't about fixing what couldn't be fixed. It was about trying, failing, doing the best you could. That was all anyone could do.

"She went to her brother's, got a little bar work
He went to the Buttery, stayed about a year
Then he wrote a letter, said I want to see you
She thought he sounded better, she sent him up the fare
He was riding through the cane in the pouring rain
On a carriage-top to her door
To her door, to her door, to her door."

She let the chorus fade, then surged into the final verse.

"He came in on a Sunday, every muscle aching
Walking in slow motion like he'd just been hit
Did they have a future?
Would he know his children?
Could he make a picture and get them all to fit?
He was shaking in his seat riding through the streets
In a silver horse to her....
Shaking in his seat riding through the streets
In a silver horse to her door
To her door, to her door, to her door."

She opened her eyes as she finished, to see Vanator walking away.

Well, not the best reception she'd ever had... She supposed it was time to practice more.

Then, he was back and there was a girl. She smiled and Pygmy smiled back, wondering just what was going on. Then Vanator offered her clothing.

It could not be said that Pygmy often recieved gifts. She cajoled her way into freebies, she charmed down prices and flirted for free drinks. She didn't recieve gifts. A lump rose in her throat and her stomach seemed to migrate south.

"Wow, I... Wow." She had to pause a moment, was he really?

He was. Wow. Clothing, for her. A present.

"Thank you." She said, reaching out to take it more tentatively than Vanator might have expected given what he knew of her. She was almost expecting him to rescind the offer, though nothing she had seen of him had ever indicated he would consider doing so.

She didn't know what to say, she spent a moment just looking at the tunic. She glanced up and ducked her head at Vanator's cousin, grateful and embarrassed.

"May I try it on?" She asked, politeness rumbling forth as it often did when she didn't know what else to do, an artifact of her childhood.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Vanator on March 16th, 2010, 4:37 pm

Vanator watched in curiosity as Pygmy hesitantly reached for the garment. The girl appeared apprehensive, as if she was not sure she should take it. He wondered why, was it pride? After considering the Kelvic's soft features, the perplexed twist of her brows, Vanator decided there was nothing haughty about Pygmy. No, she had the look of unexpected surprise.

The Drykas smiled at her statement of gratitude. "You are welcome, consider it an investment in your career. I hope to hear you sing many more tunes." He patted her shoulder and gave her a wink, tilting his head towards the tow-headed child, still peeking from the tent several pavilions down . "And I expect my little cousin will want to hear some too sometime."

When Pygmy asked if she could try donning the tunic, Vanator nodded cheerfully, then suddenly threw up his hand. "Wait!". He recalled that last time he gave her something to where. The goat girl had simply dropped her clothes and changed right there in the open. He glanced at Kayiri. That would certainly draw unwanted attention in the middle of Drykas. He gestured to the tent that stood before them. "Why don't you change in my tent, right there." He gave her an ornery grin, leading her to the pavilion and holding the flap open for her.
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Dhanya on March 17th, 2010, 11:15 am

"Thank you." Pygmy said, bowing her head and ducking through the tent flap and into the pavilion.

She waited until Vanator closed it before removing Kayiri's cloak. It had been a good garment but its time was gone and she was going to move on to other things. She pulled the shift over her head, pausing once it was settled to rub the fabric between her thumb and forefinger. It was soft from wear but so well-made that it was going to last years at the least. She wished she could tell what she would look like in it.

Pygmy was seized with a sudden urge to undress, turn into a goat and run straight out of Endrykas. It felt odd to be in someone's house again, wearing clothes that had been bought for her. Well, brought for her. She shook her head, hair spreading out like a halo, falling back down again when she was again at rest. She ran hand through it to smooth it down.

She liked the outfit, she liked it even better when she added the belt and fastened it. She could move in it. It wasn't quite her size but the belt made it a moot point. It was clothing she could blend into the crowd with, maybe even feel like she belonged in Endrykas for a while.

Wasn't a bad thought entirely. It was even a good thought, little scary to her but good. She was used to darting about but she felt like staying in Endrykas would be a fairly good idea, for the time being.

She stepped out of the pavilion again and into the sun.
Dhanya

Character sheet
Trailblazer (1)

Postby Vanator on March 17th, 2010, 12:54 pm

After Pygmy entered his tent, Vanator turned back to Kayiri, who had been patiently observing the busy Endrykas foot traffic. Van slapped the younger Drykas on the back, about to make a snide comment about Kayiri finding a wife while he was looking, when Pygmy emerged from the tent.

Vanator grinned widely. It was the first time he had seen her in anything remotely suited to her, and she looked rather fetching. Though it may not prevent people from staring at her curious goatish eyes, at least she didn't appear like she just fell off the turnip cart. Anyone who took the time to take a second look would see an attractive, if not typical, young woman.

"You clean up pretty good goat." He teased, then his taunting grin shifted to a warm smile. "In fact Pygmy, you look very nice." His eyes still on Pygmy, he lightly struck Kayiri on the arm with the back of his hand. "Now that you have something decent to wear, Endrykas is yours. You are our guest here, you tell us what you want to do." He wanted to ask about Khiara, if she was here too, how she was doing. The Kelvic and the Vantha had made quite an impression on Vanator. They both were so unique and interesting in such different ways. The typically decisive son of an Ankal found he could not yet sort out how he felt about the traveling companions. They seemed almost like characters from a folktale, the magical shapeshifter and exotic snow maiden. All he knew is that he liked being around them.

"Pygmy, whatever happened to Khiara?"
Vanator

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Kayiri on March 18th, 2010, 12:34 am

Kayiri nodded slightly as Vanator explained what he knew about the two. "I need to speak to her sometime. It's been forever," he commented to him idly, his mind wandering as he listened to Pygmy singing her song.

Always curious, he raised an eyebrow at the end. "Pygmy, what does 'laid off' mean?" he asked in that quiet, inquiring tone, hoping her wasn't prying at all. After his last encounter with accidentally prying into her life, he didn't want to relive that quite so soon. When Vanator nodded, granting her the permission to change, he had shot him a quick glance, meeting his eyes with a confused look. When he returned from leading her into the Pavillion, he frowned at the comment about finding a wife. He simply shrugged his shoulders. "Look at me, Vanator. By my age, everyone's already married. I'm pretty much doomed to being a suitor for the rest of my life," he admitted shamefully.

His eyes began to wander again. When he caught Pygmy out of the corner of his eye, he returned his attention to her, looking her over a few times. What really caught his attention, though, was how he had called her goat. What in the hell was a goat, anyway? He hid his puzzled face. It was Vanator's light strike on the arm that drew him from both her feminine beauty and his curiosity. "Agreed. He, without a doubt, knows the city better than I do, so I shall let him lead."
Kayiri
The Prideful Drykas

Words: 114225
Joined roleplay: December 21st, 2009, 2:35 am
Character sheet
Medals: 1
Trash Medal (1)

PreviousNext