I Wish This Wouldn't Happen.

Darik has to help a unwilling co-worker.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A lawless town of anarchists, built on the ruins of an ancient mining city. [Lore]

Moderator: Morose

Postby Darik on November 29th, 2011, 10:52 pm

Pc involed: Darik
Date:60 of Fall
(Main) Npc involved: Hannah

Hannah rose from her bed stifling a yawn. Every day, she woke up to the sweet tone of the stables being run. But…something was amiss. After getting dressed, she checked her schedule hanging up by her dresser. Amazingly, there were relatively few things to complete. She had planned it that way, every now and then she needed a break from the hassle of the day. She enjoyed working at the stables, but to remain sane in a place like Sunberth she needed some time off.

Her footsteps thumped against the cold floor, as she listened to the chatter of the workmen. Or rather, the lack of it. Instantly, she knew it was “one” of those days. It happened about three times each season. Every season Killroy gave his employees three off days. Why did he do this? Hannah didn’t know, but he could do it for a variety of reasons. The most likely one was because he could.((Or he just wanted "time" to do some stuff in his room every three days a season.))

Back to these “special” days. On them, almost everyone used their days off. There wasn’t a clear cut reason why, but Hannah had one very good theory. They didn’t like having to take commands from a girl((Who do you think kept this place organized when Killroy was gone?)) and it hurt their masculinity. No matter how kind and mature she was, they only saw her as a girl. Not that they didn’t accept her orders, they were smart enough to know that she knew what they were doing, but they all secretly detested it.

She walked throughout the stable counting the remaining stablehands. It wasn’t as bad as she had originally thought. They had about half occupancy, it could be much worse. She went and gave each one of them extra work. She hated being a day behind and hoped it could be avoided. Still, not everyone shared her ethics. Most mumbled, “should have gone drinking with the guys.”

Finally, she arrived at the last destination of her talks. Darik. He was working on a roan rather inefficiently. When she went into this particular part of the establishment, he took of his shirt. She was perfectly sure he hadn’t even seen her, it was just coincidence. She knew how terrible his peripheral vison was. Anyway, it was quite hot and stuffy in this enclosed workspace so it was perfectly valid to not wear a shirt. Not that Hannah would ever try that, that would end in total disaster.

She didn’t call out to him right away, not because she liked looking at his naked torso((it was much too bony for her liking)) but because she needed time to evaluate him, recall information about him, and figure out if her course of action was the right choice.

Darik took care of the horse making mistakes amateurs didn't even make. It wasn’t exactly his fault, Hannah had never taught him anything. She had avoided him like a plague, there was something about him that made her want to kick kittens. She didn’t know why, it could be the looks he gave her or his voice sounding too much like Killroys.

The mistakes he made could cause injury to both him, and the horse. Hannah didn’t particularly care about the him, he could be brutally maimed for all she cared, but the horse was different. It could step on all the tools Darik just dropped in the hay. He should just take an extra second to hang them back on the rack, but he didn’t. Secondly, he had no knowledge of sensitive points. He didn’t know were to apply pressure and were to brush softly with a soothing voice. Thirdly, animals just didn’t seem to like him. Now, that’s something that she couldn’t help him with.

He should have been fired for this obvious lack of improvement but he had a much more valuable use in Killroy’s eyes. He stole horses for him. He actually brought in the most even though his thieving skills were next to none. She knew, she had seen him trying to sneak into her room a few times. And it wasn’t his charisma that led to the acquisition of the horse. She didn’t know how he got the horses, but he got them. That’s all that mattered to Killroy.

After she had processed all the information, she came to the conclusion that her plan was a viable one. It was a sacrifice but she needed to do it. Dairk was the slowest worker because of his disadvantages, and Hannah was the fastest. Putting her with him would give the greatest net gain out of any other pair.

Darik finally let a smirk appear on his face. Hannah saw it and tried to get out a response. ”Darik-“ He turned his head around and looked right at her. ”How long have you been looking googly eyed at my chiseled torso?” She gave a groan, she should have known it was much too coincidental that he took off his shirt right when she came in.

He leaned on the horse looking like he was a cool kid. He didn’t know why, but he remembered vaguely when he was a child that popular guys trying to woo girls did that kind of stuff.”Get a Shirt on, now. And follow me” She turned her head and walked briskly hoping he wouldn’t catch up.

The horse moved a bit causing Darik to fall down on the floor. Hannah heard the crash and let a smile creep onto her lips. She had no doubt he would start hanging up the tools now. And she was right. Darik hadn’t been injured by it, but those brushes weren’t exactly cushions. After getting his shirt back on, he caught up to his one and only soul mate.
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Darik on December 10th, 2011, 8:07 pm

Hannah walked briskly hoping to keep Darik behind her. She needed to appear as the alpha male((or female in this case.)) leading the pack to its new destination. And then Darik would be behind her, making him her insubordinate gamma who would have to listen to her every word. Except, Darik was right beside her. He didn’t at all know that Hannah was trying to using a twisted form of symbolism against him, he just wanted to talk to the black haired beaut. He figured if he could talk to her just for a few minutes, she would fall in love with him just like every girl did.

“So babe, where are we heading?”Darik just asked an innocent question, yet her response was anything but that. ”Don’t call me Babe.” Hannah snapped uncharacteristically. She took a few deep breaths before replying again. She should give Darik a few chances to redeem himself. There was a chance that there was something wrong with him that made him the jerk he was today. Maybe if she found a bit more about his history Hannah could make him much more soft and tender. “You are going to help me train an important man’s horse that is staying here with us. We usually don’t train horses, and we rarely let them stay here. But this man has powerful connections and paid Killroy a large sum of money. So don’t screw up.”

They went into a part of the stable that was royalty for horses. Everything was fresh and clean, and each of the stables faced the open pasture of the stables. Each stall was almost twice the stall of a regular one, allowing the horse much more comfort. They could also stick there head out in the wind so they could feel the willowing breeze, or could hide in their shelter whenever they wanted a break from the billowing sun. There was only occupant, and it was gorgeous. It was pure black, no markings tainted its perfectly silky coat. Darik knew he wanted the type of horse whatever it was. He asked and Hannah replied. “His name is Roger and he’s a Nightwalker. He must have been recently acquired because he doesn’t listen to anybody. He’s more vicious than a Ravok Bloodbane so don’t touch him.” Hannah then left to get a horse for Darik to ride.

Darik stared at the horse, entranced by its eyes. He couldn’t resist holding his hand by the edge of the stall. He was ready to snap it back in a moment’s notice incase it tried to bite him. It did just the opposite of that, it actually started to nuzzle his hand with its mane. Darik didn’t know how it was vicious, it seemed like the nicest horse ever to exist. He started to whisper to it, as he petted it. “You’re vicious aren’t you? You enjoy the blood running down your enemy throats and the screams of all those you’ve murdered? Or how about the burning of villages or the death of the pure?’ Darik had to stop talking to the beast and petting it when he heard Hannah coming back with a horse.

”What are you doing? Get away from it!” Darik stepped back as Hannah ran over to him. He then got to see the horse he would get to ride. It was completely chestnut for the exception of its rump. The rump looked like someone had just dumped a load of flour on it. The horse was also fully tacked courtesy of Hannah. It also had one odd object on its back. An identical object also rested on Hannah’s head. It was in the shape of a scooped out egg. It’s top looked a lot more reinforced than its bottom.

After Hannah checked out the horse, she walked up to the remaining egg shaped thing. ”What is that?” Darik was curious, it looked like a safety device but for what part of the body? ”It’s a helmet, and you’re wearing one.” She had made her way to Darik with the helmet and plopped it on his head. She then used a piece of rope to tie it under his chin. ”But why, I look stupid!” Darik was almost whining with his tone of voice. ”With your skill sets, it will save your life. And you could look stupider, I could have given you the one painted pink.” Did Hannah just threaten Darik?

Hannah went into the stall and wrestled two pieces of equipment on Robert. A specially crafted horse muzzle was quickly put on it before it realized Hannah had entered. But then it moved its head back and forth as Hannah tried to slip a rope around it. She didn’t even try to put tack on it, its thrashing would have made it impossible to put on. After she led it out of the stall, Darik picked up his horse’s rope and followed her. They walked out about twenty yards to the right till they reached a fence. She quickly tied a rope around Robert, and Darik was about to follow suite. Instead, she held out her hand to stop him.

”Don’t, I am tying him up because he is fidgety.” Fidgety is an understatement. He was like a demon who had just been sprayed with holy water. Hannah must be a lot stronger than she looked, because twenty yards was a feat with that horse. Still, she looked tired. ”We need to get you mounted up first.” That was just an excuse, Hannah was tired. She needed some time to regain all of her energy. Also, she would never admit it…but she wasn’t at all looking forward to mounting Robert. That horse was more stubborn than a mule, and all of her training techniques hadn’t worked on it.

”I am not a child, I know how to mount.” Darik went to the stirrups and expertly used them. It wasn’t hard to put one foot on one and then flip one over the horse. Hannah was impressed, he actually did it quite efficiently. He held his hands in the air as he showed off. ”See, piece of cake.” ”Wow Darik.” That’s all Hannah could muster.

She also saw the disaster before it happened. They say arrogance is a downfall and its literally true. The horse took a few steps forward and Darik’s hands weren’t on the reins for balance. His balance was off from bragging so he fell to one side. His right foot came off the stirrup, but his left foot didn’t. This caused Darik to hit his helmet on the grass. Then he was dragged across the ground as he was dazed. Hannah stopped the horse while letting giggles come out of her mouth. She usually didn’t like people failing, but Darik was Darik.

He unhooked his foot from the dastardly device and looked at Hannah. ”Ya I know, your right. Helmets are useful.” He got back on the horse, this time holding the reigns. ”Okay this time follow my instructions for falling off.” ”Wait what? Fall off on purpose? Why? ”Three reasons: 1. Because when you aren’t wearing a helmet you don’t suffer a concussion. 2. Because I said so. And 3. I influence the man that gives you your paycheck.” There it was again, she threatened him! Still, her threats were successful. With only minor grumbles Darik listened to her.

The horse started up again and this time Darik kicked out of both stirrups first. Then, when he fell he tried to relax his body. He landed feet first but his motion turned him into a ball. He had tucked his neck and head in also so he was like a rolling hedgehog. After he was done rolling, he got up excitedly. ”YA! I DID IT!” Darik couldn’t help contain his excitement. ”Good, do it again. Practice makes perfect.”

He did it three more times before he complained again. ”I’m sore, can I stop?” Hannah was sitting cross legged enjoying the entertainment. ”Is your neck or back hurting?” That was important, if either of them were hurting he needed to see a doctor.”Nope, everything but that. ”Then nope, keep doing it” After a couple more successful tries Darik looked like he couldn’t even mount the horse anymore. This is when Hannah called it off and handed Darik a canteen. He sloshed some water in his mouth then fell down on the grass. He looked almost dead, so now she would have to not mount the horse because she had to wait till Darik was feeling better. It was only polite to do so.
Darik
Troublemaker

Words: 231903
Joined roleplay: July 6th, 2011, 5:42 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes