[Flashback] [Solo] We Lost One

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

An inland sea created by Ivak's cataclismic fury during the Valterrian, the Suvan Sea is a major trade route and the foremost hub for piracy in Mizahar. [lore]

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on December 2nd, 2011, 8:08 am

75th of Spring, 508 AV

The young Svefra examined the worn-out map which was spread before her. Their ship was entering the southern Suvan Sea, somewhere in the Faleyk Gulf. After roughly more than a year and a half of traversing the western shores of Sylira, they were finally on their way back to their home which was the Northern Suvan Sea. Just outside the cabin, she could hear her sisters singing a catchy tune about the dance of the waters. Amidst the songs, she could hear a woman calling for the name of her brother. 'What's he up to now?' Gabrielle asked herself absently as she traced her fingers across the map. If the waters were good, they would be back home in a season or two.

The sky was dark, which meant that the sails were down and their movements would be slowed. Her Lia preferred to sail at full speed when the day was bright, and at night, it was mostly sleep or festivities. Currently, she knew it would be a night of festivities. Her family was celebrating their entrance to the Suvan.

Coincidentally, their ship had also come across a ship of inland hunters who were on their way out of the sea and travelling to adventures in far lands. They seemed cautious of the seas, and this amused Gabrielle’s sisters. Even if they were not really of the sea, the Lia had invited them aboard and to the festivities, believing that the more people made a party better. She could hear the men’s voices as they tried their best to sing along to the songs of the Svefra. Gabrielle rolled the map and stuffed it under her bunk bed. She hopped down to the ground and heard her stomach grumble loudly.

"Oh, geez, Gab, control that thing," a voice groaned. Gabrielle blinked and looked behind her, and that was when she realized that her older brother was lazing around on one of the net hammocks that were strapped between two wooden poles.

"What are you doing here, Marcus?" Gabrielle inquired, shooting him a curious look. "I thought the Lia told you to prepare the fish. Is that why they’re calling for you?"

He gave a yawn. "Eh, I don't like the smell of fish, and don't get me started on the sliminess."

Gabrielle clucked her tongue. "You, I swear, are not a Svefra."

Marcus gave her a weak smile, but Gabrielle saw the hurt in his eyes. He preferred the lands, disliked seafood, preferred to nap instead of partying, and had didn't have a lot of the traits that described a Svefra. He had told Gabrielle many times, in confidence, how he would probably fare better in an inland city. He never told anybody else this, especially the Lia, because he felt enough as an outcast already.

He trapped Gabrielle in a headlock and playfully rubbed her forehead with his fist. "Whatever, gab, let's go listen to the Lia yell at me...” he gave her a wide smile. “Then let’s get some food.”

The young girl growled at him and wrestled her way out of his grip, though he gave her a difficult time to do it, chuckling all the way. Her brother was strong and had the build of a hunter, and he had been the one to teach her how to use a bow. This was one of the reasons her mother was annoyed at him many times, because even though he had the gift, he much preferred to laze around.

When Gabrielle was finally free of his grip, a man’s bellowing laughter filled the air, and Gabrielle noticed the uneasy look on her brother’s face. She poked him on the shoulder and asked, “What’s wrong?”

Marcus was brought back to the future and shook his head before giving her another grin. He liked doing that: grinning. You could never really read Marcus because of the way he resorted to smiling all the time; and all his smiles seemed mocking. “Hey, stay clear of those men, alright? They seem sketchy.”

The hunters who were invited aboard looked gruff and were about a head taller than Marcus, which was saying a lot because Marcus was one of the tallest in the pod. Gabrielle couldn’t tell why these hunters made him uneasy since their Lia had invited many kinds of people aboard, but she simply nodded; her thoughts on the food that was to come.
Last edited by Gabrielle Seawind on June 17th, 2012, 3:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Words: 116325
Joined roleplay: November 1st, 2011, 12:34 pm
Race: Human, Svefra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on December 7th, 2011, 6:56 am

As soon as they stepped out of the cabin, Gabrielle saw three of her sisters dancing in a circle, their hips moving to the music, and one of their male pod members playing a tune on a wooden flute. One of the outsiders laughed as he tried to dance along with them, though he did so in a clumsy manner. There were four outsiders aboard the ship, and with the rest of her pod members, there were roughly fifteen people partying to the music.

As she watched them momentarily, Marcus was swiftly grabbed aside by their mother and scolded about responsibilities and making himself useful. Gabrielle couldn't help but smile at how lazily her brother listened to her.

Their mother left in a huff, her face obviously upset, and Gabrielle could see that her brother had an expression of sadness. It wasn't common for him to have wear a negative face; usually he took his sermons in stride. 'What could mother have said?' Marcus realized that Gabrielle was staring at him. He gave her a smile, although his eyes didn't match his lips.

"Hey, have a drink!" a deep voice said. One of the outsiders, one who had a scar over his face, offered a mug of ale to Marcus. Absently, Marcus took it in his hands.

Gabrielle was surprised to see Marcus strike up a conversation with the man. He said, "Where'd you deport?"

The man said, "We just came from Cyphrus. Nothing but land. I know that doesn't interest you Svefra."

On the contrary, Gabrielle knew it would interest Marcus to no ends. She saw the smile which returned to his face. Gabrielle liked hearing stories of the land as well, though it was very rare that she actually set foot in the inlands for more than a week. She had heard of Endrykas, the city which travelled through the sea of grass, and wondered if she would ever set foot there.

The man with the scar said they were on their way to Sunberth, a city their pod had passed some seasons ago. He said they were going there to hopefully set up residence, though they would probably return to Cyphrus in some years.

Gabrielle was keen on listening, until an arm suddenly wrapped around her shoulders. One of her older sisters, giggling, pulled her towards the musician and pestered her to sing a song about the wildness of the seas. They had told the dancing outsider that Gabrielle could sing a song or two, and they could dance to a new voice.

Forced, Gabrielle took her place beside the flute player, who grinned at her before starting the tune. It was a familiar melody, but as Gabrielle sang the words, she did so with one eye on her brother, who was engrossed in a conversation with the scarred hunter.
Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Gabrielle Seawind on December 13th, 2011, 3:39 am

The party soon died down, with a person's laugh ringing through the decks every now and then. Mugs of ale were held tightly as the Svefra and the hunters exchanged stories of the sea and the land. The hunters spoke about a time when they had to fight against bandits of the forest -- it was a fierce battle, and one of them lost their fingers. He had pointed to the said man. "You Svefra hide in your waters, you surely wouldn't know the heat of a battle!" he said, but his cheeks were crimson and they had been taunting each other with jokes all night.

"You don't go boasting about battles to us Svefra, we fight in the unpredictable sea, not in some ground that keeps you still!" said her sister, and she bumped her mug with the pirate beside her, both of them grinning. "Why, in a few days from now, we've been recruited to bestow hell on some ship... I don't remember what it's called. It's been seasons since we've been to the Suvan Sea, and I'm itching for battle!"

The hunter raised his eye. Some races were not used to having the average woman fight their battles, but the Svefra was a race led by woman. The hunter didn't seem to know this though, and from his expression he had just her, but he said nothing.

"What's wrong, brother? Your face is complaining," said Gabrielle's sister. Everyone looked at Marcus, who had a cross expression. He severely disliked pirate attacks.

"It's a waste of good men and good supplies," Marcus attested simply. It was rare that he looked irritated; just days before, he had gotten to an argument with his sisters about this. They were ordering him to join the battle, something which he refused with much venom.

"Enough of this. You are joining the battle, whether you want to or not!" yelled Gabrielle's sister. She was obviously drunk, and threw her mug to the floor. She was older than Marcus, and a woman at that, and she wanted him to obey his authority. Her mug shattered to pieces, and everyone onboard turned quiet as their eyes turned to the commotion.

Marcus was also drunk now, and adding to the rage he had felt for a long time, also threw his mug at the floor. He stood up, his face furious, and pointed a finger at his older sister. "T hese outsiders only fight against humans who attack them with no good reason... you are no different from bandits in the forest! If you weren't so obsessed with spilling blood, your kid would still be alive! "

Shocked noises could be heard, and some hissed at Marcus to stop. The hunters exchanged glances, and their older sister stood up, her face just as furious as Marcus's. She looked ready to lunge at him, but it was her husband who did, toppling Marcus on the floor.

A brawl ensued. The two men punched and kicked each other, both drunk from ale and anger. Gabrielle screamed, begging them to stop -- some did the same, while others stood there with worried expressions on their faces. A fight among sisters and brothers was vehemently detested by their Lia. Friendly duels were common, but when it was a personal one as this, their Lia always had something to say.

"Stop!" their Lia's voice yelled. She walked up to them, her face old and angry. "I will not have this foolishness in my pod... you are supposed to be brothers. A Seawind who cannot respect another has no place on my ship. Marcus, I am tired of your nuances. You are a Svefra, a Seawind, you should do well in remembering that! If you cannot, you may as well leave!"

That was the last thing she said before she stormed off. Marcus and the other man exchanged glances, bruises and cuts visible on their faces. Her older sister approached her husband and helped him up, and she shot Marcus an icy glare before leaving him there.

"Marcus, what were you thinking?" hissed Gabrielle as she approached him. Unknown to herself, she had been crying. She only realized it when Marcus reached to wipe her face with the back of her hand.

"Sorry, Gab," said Marcus. She saw the angry glares that were still being given to him, though most of them were worried or looks of pity. Gabrielle felt anger boiling up in her, but she set it aside.
Gabrielle Seawind
Just Another Pirate

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Trident on June 18th, 2012, 3:10 pm

Gabrielle Seawind

Skills:
  • Observation +2
  • Singing +1

Comments: Very intriguing thread. I appreciated the reference to All Hands on Deck. Unfortunately, there was not much I could give you, as Gabrielle really only acted as a bystander throughout most of the thread.

If you have any questions about my ruling, feel free to PM me!

Development ThreadDS OfficeSuvan SeaSuvan Sea Lore

---

Accepting more moderated threads now on a limited basis. PM me for more information.
Trident
Welcome to no man's land

Words: 105060
Joined roleplay: November 19th, 2011, 3:58 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 1
Featured Contributor (1)