Somewhere I Belong [Open]

A city so full of life, and yet it seems so empty to the Ethaefal.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Known as the Celestial Seat, Nyka is a religious city in Northern Sylira. Ruled by four demigods and traversed by a large crevice, the monk-city is both mystical and dangerous. [Lore]

Postby Volans on December 7th, 2011, 10:30 pm

Timestamp: 9th Winter 511 A.V.

The skies were downcast and frowns framed faces. The threat of rain hung perpetually in the air, as did the threat of snow in such a wintry climate. So far, the ninth was shaping up to be an excellent bad day.

The man's form was grim, forbidding. Nyka wasn't exactly the most open and carefree of places, but even among the tight-lipped monks he cut a cold figure. Dark black hair framed eyes that were filled with a melancholia greater than any watcher could understand. He was short and compact, skin torn by a long life's worth of bruises and cuts. It might seem incredible to others to know that those scars would fade once the night came, but to Volans is was a pale shade of the transformation he had undergone in the world beyond.

That world was now closed off to him, forcing him back into the mortal world of dimensions and solid forms. Little under a year ago he had fallen, fallen into the hard gray waters from the Ukalas, ripped open by the cataclysmic Valterrian. At fist, it had seemed the wound his lord has sustained would not affect his heavenly domain, but then they began to slip away. His followers, and that of his lover's. Falling from their heavenly grasp to the cold world below. Volans was among those number, and he had fallen - here.

Volans wasn't sure he why he had chosen that foreboding day to roam the streets of his new home. He wanted to get more acquainted with this world, so alien and familiar to him. The last time he'd stepped on Mizaharian soil had been over a century ago, and much had changed in that time.

But it pained him to do so, a pain that went deeper beyond the joylessness of a overcast day. Every time he stepped out into the streets and joined the throngs he felt a sharp, lonely pain inside of him. These people were not like him, nor would they ever be. He felt disconnected from them. Separate. Loneliness ravaged him like a wild beast. More than anything, he wanted company.

He stopped at a street corner. His breath, steady and strong, crystallized into clouds of frost in the wintry air. Eyes the color of citrine looked out, their hue ever so slightly changing as he examined his surroundings. What was he looking for, exactly? Volans didn't know. Perhaps he was simply looking for a friend, someone to talk to...
Volans
More tan than he has any right to be.

Words: 28945
Joined roleplay: November 26th, 2011, 9:32 pm
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Shade on December 8th, 2011, 8:45 pm

The Monk on patrol watched with wide observant eyes. So blue they looked blind, the man scanned the crowd feeling protective of the people of Nyka rather than superior. It was an unusual outlook for those among the Monks, but Shadekas truly felt his duty was to the people and his Lady Xannos, not to himself. The sky was on the verge of tears, either long chilly wet ones or frozen tears filled with the promise of death. Shade didn't mind though. To him it was comforting. It was a murky quartz crystal full of promise. Zulrav would show His worth sooner or later. Either the rain would nourish the crops or the snow would kill the rest of the winter wheat and Nyka would starve. Such was the way of things, and even though Shadekas was concious of them, there was naught he could do to prevent it.

So he worried about things he could control like the safety of the citizenry while he was on patrol. One blue eye on the sky, one on the direction of the Aperture. Shade moved with purpose, lingering momentarily on a street corner then moving on. They were safe here. Nothing was unfolding. He scanned, picking his next direction and turned down a street that lead to a square. He had a small belt pouch strapped around his waist as his sandaled feet made no noise on the cobble. His plain spun monks robe made a soft swishing sound as it brushed lightly across the stone of the street.

Trouble? No. No trouble. Just a man with troubled eyes. Shade moved with purpose. It was his habit to comfort where he could unlike others who tended to bully where there was power to be had. He withdrew an apple from his small belt pouch and unsheathed his eating dagger that hung on the same belt. He carved out a slice of apple and nibbled it as he paused beside the man, looking the same direction the stranger was.

Then, in a motion of extreme charity for Nyka, he cut off a second slice and offered it to the stranger clutched between his thumb and the eating knife. "A copper for your thoughts. You stand in a storm cloud all of your own making. I'd prefer sunshine, stranger. The people around here will have enough rain in a bell or two if the sky is any indication. Your own personal storm isn't exactly as welcome as a smile would be." The monk said. He shifted making sure the long-bow slung across his back wasn't going to bump anyone passing. It crisscrossed a quiver of arrows. It was a rare weapon for a monk, but one Shadekas thought necessary. He could pick off aerial dangers with it or those fleeing that he could not chase down. He left blades for others and instead preferred words.

"So have a slice or two. Sometimes something simple like a Bala's bounty grown from Semele's flesh is all one needs to let the storm go for a while." Then he offered the stranger a smile. It was warm, welcoming, and concerned. "Sometimes it even helps to talk about it. It is, sometimes, part of my job description." He monk said, his eyes a warm blue in direct contrast to the sky.

"Shadekas. But the lazy or in a hurry call me Shade."
He added, almost as an afterthought. And then there was Jett, who refused to call anyone anything he didn't add a 'y' to the end of when he was hungover. The Monk smiled inside. Even on the verge of a deluge threatening, it was a good day to be alive and to be a Monk of Nyka.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Words: 215158
Joined roleplay: November 25th, 2011, 7:08 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Volans on December 16th, 2011, 10:32 pm

The monk was met with a sideways glance, the only surprise Volans registered that of his eyes settling into a dark purple color. The proffered apple slice was likewise met with distant contemplation. Nykan monks bearing gifts. It's a trap! the rationality of his mind screamed, bitter from the taunts and insults of a thousand prejudices. Most of them from the men and women in the robes.

But his body seemed to have a different intention than his mind, one dusky hand coming up to delicately clasp the slice between thumb and forefinger. "Thank you," Volans' lips said, which then began chewing on the juicy yet meager offering. Feet moved so the ethaefal could face the man directly.

Fool. his mind whispered.

"Stormy my mind may be, but copper or sunshine won't tame its clouds." His face was blank, no expression of the turmoil he felt displayed. "Besides, type reverts to type, right? So maybe rain is exactly what I need."

Volans tilted his head when he next heard the man's word, content in the alieness of his gaze. "You are not like the others." He said plainly. "A monk, yes. A follower, yes. But a mindless brute? That remains to be seen...but I think not."

"You may call me whatever you wish. Some have chosen the name Volans for me, and I find it fitting. You may call me that, Shadekas." Volans was neither lazy nor in a hurry, so he chose the full name. Shade had too many nighttime connotations for him to be completely comfortable with it, in any case.

"You follow Xannos, correct?" Volans' collected eyes were on Shade's robe, the sigil of the lady of gemcutting clearly embroidered. Once again, Volans' expression was unfathomable. One could never tell what he was thinking. What did he think of the monk in front of him now, one of the first monks to speak to him without bringing a fist to bear? That would remain to be seen.

Volans rocked back on his heels and patiently waited for the man's response.
Volans

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Shade on December 17th, 2011, 2:36 pm

Shade studied the stranger, noting his odd hair color and his eyes that were an intense shade of teal that didn't quite settle on one color. Vantha? The Monk had heard of the people of the north, though he'd never met one. This one, he's a long way from home. Shade thought, glad he'd stopped to offer the man a kindness.

Once a single slice was taken, Shade continued eating the apple much the same as before, though it was divided up equally between the two of them rather than just reserved for his own nutrition. His manner remained calm, subdued almost, as if it were the most natural thing in the world to stop a stranger and feed them. Apples were earthly, of Semele's body, and often a comfort whether people knew it or not.

At the man's words, Shadekas offered him a true smile. "Only a fool would think to stop a storm or change its nature." The monk said, then almost as an afterthought added... "I've too much admiration for Zulrav to do that and enjoy storms too much to want them to be other than what they are. They teach us respect and humility, something often times Nyka is lacking." He said, turning to look back down the street and then nodding at another monk passing by.

"Mindless? Oh, I'm guilty of that a time or two I'm certain. Aren't we all in the heat of things? One doesn't wear the robes here and loathe to fight. The love of a good brawl tends to go hand and hand with our culture here. Nyka raises both pit vipers and mongooses. I'd like to consider myself one of the latter rather than the former, but I suspect it always depends on the perspective." Shadekas said, then tried out Volans name a few times.

"A strong name. Does it have meaning?" He asked, curious.

"Aye. I follow Xannos, but more than that Semele and Zulrav. I give respect to Laviku and tip my hat to Bala when she gives us golden apples. Faith is a complex thing. I am grateful the Gods are generous enough to allow for us to look to more than one of them for guidance and thanks on our way." He said then added. "You've the look of one of Morwen's northern children. If that's true, you're a long way from home." He said the comment in such a way Volans would be neither rude nor evasive if he didn't answer it. Shadekas was like that. He would feel out a conversation without backing someone into a corner first and grilling them on who they were. He didn't like to be told who people were anyhow. He'd rather them show him. The telling was often inaccurate and by no fault of the teller's. People simply never had a clear picture of who exactly they were, or even who others were for that matter.

"But yes.. for all that I am on patrol like my fellows, had you asked around after me, they would not be calling me Shadekas the fierce, or Shadekas the bloodthirsty. My name would be a bit simpler than that, I'm afriad. I'm Shadekas the Jeweler. " Shade gave him a little bow. "And you? Are you Volans the traveler?" He asked, curious.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Razeni on December 18th, 2011, 5:17 am

Riding astride her burly two-toned steed of the deepest of red patches amongst the white coloring, Razeni sits with such an ease upon the saddle. The reins in her left hand slack for they move at such a slow pace through the residents, visitors, merchants and others that are milling through the Marketplace setting. The Colorsplash stallion high-stepping to the side oft times would raise and lift its solid red-hued head swiftly several times, his ears laid back to listen to his Mistress who coos softly to him.

"Now, now, Ruze. Shhh.. Take it easy."

Accompanied with a pat of affection and assurance from her right hand, the mighty horse calms and proceeds forward with a snort from his muzzle. Both rider and horse give off such an energy and presence about themselves that it would be hard for any person (or animal for that matter) around them to not turn their gaze towards them. The woman of such graceful beauty flows with the steps and movement of the equine, her body moving fluidly as one with Ruze. Her cascading dark-honey tresses bouncing and waving around her upper torso, framing her facial features accentuating the green and gold optical orbs that could be seen moving about the Marketplace. The expression on her face unreadable, as she has come to learn to not give away the thoughts that are constantly coming and going through her mind. Especially this being the first visit to Nyka, she knows not what to expect from the people here. For she only knows the basic lore and stories of this city, she will not underestimate anyone or anything she may come across here.

Rider and horse moving slowly along, they would seem to tower over the crowd as they move forward. Razeni easily seen as if she hovered through the masses, at times she could be seen to find something of interest as her gaze remained transfixed on one thing or another periodically. The bulk of her possessions packed precisely so would show the exactness and perfection of the woman, as they all fit just right on and around her large riding saddle. It being obvious she is a traveller just passing through, she is sure she may attract the attention of a haggler or two at least trying to pawn off their merchandise. Her purpose there is to replenish her toiletries that she had found to be running low of, she is always one who does not like to wait til the item is gone to replace it but to stock up as needed. Not intending to tarry long here she is anxious to get what she came for and be on her way, not one used to such large crowds as this. Impatience seeps through her features, unbeknownst to her, as her head turns here and there trying to spy the necessities she requires through the many types of shapes and sizes of the people that too are wanting to find things.

Pulling back firmly on the reins, she intends to halt Ruze who tries at first to push forth against her command. A gentlest of giggles bubbles forth past her parted lush lips, the horses ears twitch back at the sound causing him to nicker and shake his head in reply. Obediently he stops and side-steps to the left, she holds firm with her knees against his ribcage. Finally coming to rest, Razeni flings her long right leg out and over the rear of the horse to step off the stirrups with her left foot. Landing on both of her brown leather booted feet, she draws the reigns over and past the horses red-maned head along with her. Her horsemanship exuding one who is quite experienced and one that has a close relationship and bond with her mighty companion. Holding the reigns in her elegant yet strong right hand, she runs her left hand along the side of Ruze's neck giving him a long caress. The horse would nuzzle his Mistress' shoulder warmly with the uplifted upper lip, her left hand coming up to cradle his snout briefly. Turning her attention from him, her body would turn as one in a 90 degree angle to look out before them. Stepping off with her left foot she follows through with her right to begin the slow trek on foot, her attire of a rust-colored hooded cloak that billowed around her 6 foot form. Underneath visible to any who looks would be a set of matching deer skinned top and bottoms. The top being sleeveless and opened in front, leather lacings seem to be the only thing holding the gap together, pulled tight drawing her full bosom together creating a deep cleavage. Her bottoms riding her rounded hips low, the outside of the tight-fitting leggings also held together by the same leather lacings tied tight showing a sliver of her tanned smooth flesh below. A strap of braided leather worn under her thick locks across her forehead, above her perfectly arched brows, would be her only other accessory. Moving along together horse and owner, they would give a picture of familiar companionship.

Now that she was afoot, Razeni is able to better view the stalls and that is held within them. The people moving about before them, as if with an unseen force, would automatically split and part to make way for her as she trodded on amongst them. Her attention would appear to be distracted, as if she wasn't aware of that around her, but in actuality she was constantly taking stock of those people close to her and around her. Her quick and alert mind having already taken inventory of all that was near, her senses heightened as the sounds, sights and smells of the environment assault her. Ruze himself, even for a steed, would seem to be alert. His ears straining forward and eyes bright and aware, head rising and falling with each step as he follows close to his Mistress.
Razeni
"Diamond in the rough."

Words: 19401
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2011, 12:44 am
Character sheet

Postby Volans on December 19th, 2011, 3:02 am

Volans crossed his arms and eyed the man askance. "I can't say I've had the...pleasure to act mindless." He said shortly. "I find that I like to find other ways to settle a conflict." As should you, and the rest of your kind. I'm tired of being beat up.

Perhaps to counteract the hidden venom in his words, Volans suddenly smiled and put one cool hand on Shadekas's shoulder. "Look up." Were the only two words he said. In demonstration, Volans turned his pale head skyward and looked up towards the threatening sky. Barely anything could be seen that wasn't covered in a veil of clouds, oversaturated and ready to burst. There were more patches of grey storm cloud than actual sky at this point, in fact. Volans seemed to disregard this. A long, tapered finger pierced the heavens, pointing a distinct region to the southern portion of the skies. "Look there the next time night falls." He murmured. "Look for the flying fish. That is the constellation of Volans."

There was a beat of silence. Volans seemed content to simply gaze up at the sky, eyes pressed not to where the constellation he was named after but rather the spot he'd knew he would find the moon come nightfall. A nostalgic loss permeated his being, only fading to the dull recesses of his mind when the ethaefal lowered his head to Shade once more.

For the next couple of bells, the man was silent, simply listening to Shadekas and his theological musings. "Faith...is indeed complex." Volans agreed at last. There was a wet sensation at the top of his head, and he realized the cloudy barrier had finally been overcome. He quickly gestured to Shade, pulling him under an overhanging roof to avoid the incoming downpour. With a upturned eyebrow, he noticed the girl leading the horse walking down the street. Horses don't like rain, dear.

"...I have put my faith in several gods during my lifespan, but there are two whom I pay homage to now and forever." But who they was, he would not divulge; but if Shade managed to catch a glance at him when the stars glimmered in the blanket of the sky, the ones Volans worshiped would become quite clear. It would make what he had done finally click into place, in fact. Vaguely, Volans wondered if Shade might figure it out who he was on his own.

Then, more personal questions. Volans refrained from answering Shade's half-muttered question pertaining to his race, only glancing at him sidelong as was quickly becoming his habit. Infuriatingly, Volans's eyes shifted to a opaque shade of blue.

But there was more. "Traveler, worshiper, fortuneteller. I'm all of these and none of them. In an age like this, titles are meaningless." Volans smiled once more. "They lead one to believe someone is much less complicated than they really are."

But Volans could tell the title meant something to Shade, so he began speaking once more. "So...jeweler, you say. Do you work in a studio, or wherever gemcutters work?" Volans tilted his head in a question. "I'd love to see what you've worked on."
Volans

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Shade on December 19th, 2011, 7:50 pm

He studied Volans, but only out of the corner of his eyes. There was something strange about the man, but nothing Shade could put a finger on. He was 'off' but not in a noticeable criminal way. It was more like his appearance of being lost was more than physical.

Shade had never seen anything like it.

He glanced skyward when Volans answered his question and smiled, nodding. "Perhaps after dark when the rain has departed to find itself other amusements you will be around to show me again, when we can actually see. I know nothing of the stars. Though I do appreciate Syna's contribution to the world and Leth's beauty at night. You''d be surprised how many people want trinkets made for the stars. I always need references on such things." The jeweler said softly.

There conversation wasn't strained, but it did wane and ebb like an oceans natural course. Shadekas was glad the stranger didn't try to fill the silence with words. He was equally glad Volans didn't seem to mind that it existed. Shade rather enjoyed silence, even in good company.

Shadekas turned his gaze, following Volans' eyes, and caught sight of the girl leading the horse. He frowned slightly, both that she was out in the weather and that she was out alone. Nyka wasn't exactly incredibly dangerous, but there were thieves and pickpockets around. Mounted, she'd have been safer. Walking her horse, she was vulnerable to Yshul's kin. "There's a father out there somewhere that should keep better track of his daughter or perhaps a husband that has no idea where his wife is." Shade replied as if in response to Volans attention on the girl.

Volans refused to divulge his faith. Shadekas was not surprised. Faith was an extremely personal thing to most people, and often they were afraid judgement would be cast upon them. He respected the withheld status more than the coughed forth lie bent to sooth the naive. But Volans' secrets were his own. Shadekas had no desire to pry.

At the list of titles, Shadekas turned his head and studied Volans openly now, curious. He smiled slowly. "In an age like this, titles are everything, but only those honestly earned." He corrected gently though he did not press the issue. It was not for him to force his own beliefs on others. They would think what they would regardless of his thoughts on things.

Shadekas nodded. "I work out of The Blinding Light studio. I keep nothing I work so there's very little to show, I'm afraid." The Monk said, smiling sadly. "We tend to own nothing and do not adorn ourselves. I have a few pieces, but my personal taste runs towards simple." He said, still half watching the woman.

At that point, a young man walked around the corner, somewhere in his early teens, leading four other youths. Their eyes were on the woman as well. He passed right by where Shadekas and Volans was speaking, his attention so focused on the woman that he failed to see Shade.

Shade moved like a cat. One minute he was perfectly relaxed, at ease almost, and the next minute he was half-crouched, his leg out thrust, and the boy was falling, tripping over it. As soon as the limb caught the youth, Shadekas snapped back to his feet and reached out, catching the leading by the shirt and hauling him back to his feet before he could completely fall. The other four boys backpedaled and stood well out of Shadekas' reach, wide-eyed, but otherwise making no attempt to move against him or Volans.

Adult monks tended not to harrass mere boys, but when those boys were notorious pick-pockets, sometimes a preemptive strike was called for.

The boy started to protest and struggle, but when he saw it was Shadekas he settled down immediately and Shade abruptly released him. "Domi. You know better. Not in my Quarter when I'm on patrol. Go cause a commotion somewhere else or go home. That lady is not a target even though she might as well have one painted on her." The jeweler said. The boy started to protest, thought better of it, and said nothing only nodded while his four companions sized up the two men and decided it was probably not worth it. They changed direction, heading back around the corner of the street, Shade watching them go.

"They'd be better boys if Father spent any time with them. But hes a Quarryman and once a quarryman always one. They will end up there too unless they get the opportunity to learn a trade. I keep hoping something will come up for them, but the masters around here are picky and often don't want to take on troubled youth." Shade said, turning his eyes on the lady once more after he was satisfied the boys were off and would not cause any trouble.

He stepped forward to greet the woman.

"My Lady. Perhaps you should get out of the rain. You look half drowned and your horse none too happy." He suggested politely. "Do you know the way to Safe Haven?" He said, meaning the Inn and Tavern that housed the visitors to Nyka. She certainly didn't look like a local. Shadekas glanced back at Volans, making the same assertion of him. Both were strangers.

Shadekas offered the remains, namely the apple core, to the woman's horse. It was better than tossing it down on the street and the animal most likely would enjoy it.

EditMade some edits. I'm suffering a head cold and evidently can't count when picking on groups of children.
Last edited by Shade on December 20th, 2011, 8:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Postby Razeni on December 20th, 2011, 6:07 am

Not having any luck at all in finding her toiletries, nevertheless Razeni continues on down the row of stalls. Every now and then she pushes herself through to take a gander at the items offered, her gaze perusing all that were displayed not wanting to miss anything. As she stretched her torso forward to peer closely at a certain trinket, drops of moisture hit at random places upon the cover of the glass case. The reflection within the clean and clear glass reveals the dark gray billowing clouds dominating the sky above, to further confirm what she saw in the image she turns her head enough to look up to the sky. The condensation starting off small becomes larger and more frequent, before she knows it the rain falls fiercely in a downpour the coldness of the drops stinging her upturned face.

With both hands she pulls the hood of her cloak completely over her head, the drops falling off the front edge of it. The reigns still in one hand, she angles herself to be able to see her mount. Ruze, standing at 16hh is easy to spot. His proud ears erect and pointed atop his head as he watches his Mistress, he steps anxiously as the rain comes down in a downpour. Dismissing the trinket she was wanting to check out more fully, she presses herself through the small crowd that surrounded her towards the horse. Standing alongside him she reaches a hand to run it down the front of him, between his eyes and down to the soft feel of his muzzle. She brushes the tuft of mane off to the side, exposing a spot of white above his left eye the size of an orange.

"Hold on now, Ruze. We will be getting out of this rain soon enough. As soon as I find shelter that is..."

At that moment there seemed to be a slight commotion to her left, from the side of her view she catches a glimpse of a group of young boys which one of them happened to of tripped or something. Turning her head swiftly, her attention caught by the movement she watches as the young boy proceeded to fall forward only to be caught by the gentleman standing nearby. Without having to look she raises her arms to toss the reigns up over Ruze's neck, twisting them around the horn of the saddle. She studies the group of men, especially the one that seemed to know the youth. Catching the glances of the boy and his fellow mates that they were shooting her way, she wonders if maybe she was the topic of something they were discussing. Razeni looks away, not wanting to offend anyone by her bold gaze.

With the approach of the tall man, his sandaled feet crunching along the cobblestones, she looks up at him. The blueness of his eyes startles her at first, the intensity of the color. Not usually comfortable with being addressed by strangers, she senses a gentleness about this man. It being obvious of his stature, as she looks him up and down, the drops dripping steadily from the front of her hooded cloak. Her boots sopping by this time, her horses mane stringy and the wetness of his flesh permeating the air around him. She recognizes the man as the one who helped the boy, looking over his broad shoulder she is able to see that the group of youngsters must of went off somewhere else. Razeni is able to see that the other gentleman had remained, she looks him over as well. This man seeming to be more reserved than this one in front of her.

She looks to the man with the piercing eyes, listening intently to his words. She absent-mindedly continued to stroke the face of the steed that stood patiently beside her, the horse used to change of weather since he had been travelling with her these past two years she had been on her own. Both owner and horse well adapted to all sorts of weather, not being bothered by being wet, but by the timing of it being the nuisance. Her eyes searches the man's, them moving side to side as they went from one eye to the other to slowly move down to his lips to watch them as he spoke. Her own lips parted a sliver, allowing her breath to flow in and out as she breathed.With the comment from him about her getting out of the rain, she looks up to the sky again, the rain landing and bouncing from her softly reddened cheeks. Lowering her gaze her brows niche together, her left rising higher than the right, she nodded somewhat emphatically.

"You think?" She responded in a jesting manner, maybe even in a friendly manner. She is surprised by her instant trust of this male and the way she responded to him as if he had been a friend of hers for years. Her head tilts to the left softly as she thinks of his question. "Umm.. No, I am not from here and am not familiar with the surrounding areas. Is this Safe Haven close to this city?" Her impression of him becoming even more better as he offered the left over apple core to Ruze, she waits to see the horse's reaction for she knows that animals have this uncanny sense of character. With the horse inching closer to the morsel being offered, his nostrils flaring as he takes in the scent not only of the apple core but of the man giving it. Razeni watches, then after only a second passing the top lip of the horse rises and takes the apple into his mouth, his jaw working at it. The corners of her full lips pull back to form a beatific smile, causing dimples to sink at each side. Her green hued eyes also showing the smile, quirks the left of her smile in a smirk. "It seems he likes you."
Razeni
"Diamond in the rough."

Words: 19401
Joined roleplay: December 18th, 2011, 12:44 am
Character sheet

Postby Volans on December 20th, 2011, 10:35 pm

Volans frowned, a jarring, cuttingly twist that left his features in an ugly grimace. "No. Not at night." His voice was cold, clear. "You'll have to find someone else to help you with the stars."

In another second, his eyes had widened and he realized what he had said. "Shyke." Volans cursed, massaging his temples as though something was paining him. "I'm sorry. I just...can't. Really, I'm sorry." He chanced a look at the monk, trying to gauge Shade's reaction to his paltry defense. Would he press the issue? Don't, Volans pleaded silently.

Mercifully, the man was distracted by the girl on the horse, following the line of sight Volans' changing orbs had connected to him. When the teenagers flooded past them with determination in their eyes and Shade took out the leader with ferocity in his, Volans did nothing. There was a detached interest in his countenance as he watched Shadekas rebuke and send them on their way. "That's a shame," He lightly murmured, watching the backs of the children as they filed away, "But maybe she doesn't need to be watched. Maybe she can manage just fine on her own..."

But Shade was already gone, off to talk to the woman in the rain. Volans sighed, a light almost delicate sigh that expressed a number of helpless gestures. He followed the monk into the deluge, nose crinkling in distaste. But he did not say anything as the man and woman conversed, only listening with discrete ears.

"Safehaven's in the city, dear." Volans tilted his head, his vow of silence already broken. "It's a hostel. In the Celestial Square." Volans smiled a rare smile. "I live there."
Volans

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Shade on December 21st, 2011, 3:19 pm

Shadekas' sharp gaze landed on Volans abruptly at his comment about no, not at night. He was momentarily uncertain about the reaction until the man backpedaled and apologized with no more explanation than that. Shade paused, his eyes boring into Volans, and laid a hand on his shoulder. j Shadekas caught Volans in his gaze, forcing him to listen and willing him to understand. His voice dropped low, so low Volans might have thought he imagined it, as he uttered a soft reply. "Don't ever show such vulnerability here. Such fear. There are vultures that would circle smelling carrion. I am not such a man, but there are others who are. Never let them see your weakness. Never let them know you are so afraid, regardless of whatever it is you fear." He added, then released Volan's shoulder and turned to deal with the girl. He glanced sideways at Volans again, as if he had more to say.

The man fascinated him. Shadekas found that Volans acted like a flame to his moth and the monk just felt like hovering until he got burned. Oh, there was definite danger there. Someone with secrets was always dangerous. But it would have to wait. Shadekas was still on duty and part of his duty stood out in the rain with perhaps not enough sense to come out of it.

Shade heard Volan's parting comment, but ignored it. He had a strong sense of preservation, mostly directed at others whom he considered sometimes neglectful of their own safety. Sure the girl could probably hold her own, but the point was everyone in the city of Nyka was the responsibility of the monks, and Shadekas took his job seriously.

He was glad Volans followed and backed his words. The statement lent credibility and backed what Shadekas was saying. "My Lady, this is Volans and I am Shadekas. Would you do us the honor of allowing us to escort you to the hostel? It would do you both well..." He gestured to both her and her horse. "... to be under cover." He added, glancing at Volans as if wondering if the man would indeed wish to head that way. Shadekas was loathe to leave him on the street. He was still too curious. The stranger was not what he seemed, and had such ... pain. It made Shadekas slightly uncomfortable to think of it that way. But it seemed and felt like the stranger was somehow a wounded man that everyone was still amazed was on his feet after a battle. The monk wanted time for more questions, perhaps even over ale.
Shade
The Black Opal.

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Mizahar Grader (1)

Next