Some questions about traveling on Eyktol

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

In this forum, users can ask questions of one another to work through issues. New players are encouraged to ask their questions here before they turn to the Help Desk or a storyteller.

Moderators: Liaisons, Assistant Storytellers, Regional Storytellers, Domain Storytellers

Postby Satish on December 8th, 2011, 12:07 am

I am going to make a Solo thread about my PC's travel from his tribe to Ahnatep and i do not want to make newbie mistakes.

First, i will describe almost all my way to Ahnatep on solo thread, its because i do not expect finding someone else so easily on the Burning Lands. i need to know how many days it takes to do this travel from "somewhere near to Eloab" and whats the best way to describe it, my idea is doing it as Flashback thread until getting to Ahnatep and afterward making a normal thread but i dont know if it is the best way.
Second question is about living expanses, i will have to pay it while traveling? or its just when i am inside a city?

Additionally i would like to know how Burning Lands looks like, i think it is like Mojave desert plus Sahara desert, but i am not sure about it.

Edit: very newbie question that popped out. today, 7th December is 10th Winter on Mizahar, right?

Edit2: i know that Ulric is a member of the Travel Time Comittee and take care of Eyktol but do not want to bother him with such a trivial question.
Satish
The Seeker

Words: 9374
Joined roleplay: December 5th, 2011, 9:50 am
Race: Chaktawe
Character sheet

Postby Ulric on December 8th, 2011, 12:48 am

Few questions are trivial, my friend.

If we consider the distance, terrain, and your character's race, it should take in the vicinity of forty days to walk from Eloab to Ahnatep. You get to pick the specific number, though.

The seventh equates to the seventh of winter, but as long as the season hasn't changed, you can start threads at any date you'd like, such as the 3rd or the 80th. Also, standard practice is to subtract expenses (usually the 45gm poor) every season, regardless of travel. It serves to simplify rather than confuse, because there are way too many variables.

Eyktol is mostly an amalgam of deserts, but if you read the lore page, it states that it tends to be rockier towards the coasts, particularly in the north-west, and mostly dunes in the center. Don't worry about being completely exact, just try to portray the best desert you can. ;)
Ulric
The Warrior-Poet

Words: 629666
Joined roleplay: May 20th, 2010, 5:51 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 3
Featured Character (1) Featured Thread (1)
Donor (1)

Postby Satish on December 9th, 2011, 1:38 am

Ulric wrote:The seventh equates to the seventh of winter, but as long as the season hasn't changed, you can start threads at any date you'd like, such as the 3rd or the 80th. Also, standard practice is to subtract expenses (usually the 45gm poor) every season, regardless of travel. It serves to simplify rather than confuse, because there are way too many variables.

Let us see if i understood:

Today, 8th December is 8th Winter, BUT i can post as 3th Winter or even 30th Winter? this dont break the time synch between the players?
It means i can make a journal about my travel starting on about 60th Autumn and finish "today" on a non-flashback solo thread?

The expanses is paid on the transition between the seasons and the amount is decided by my lifestyle, ok i got it.
Satish
The Seeker

Character sheet

Postby Colombina on December 9th, 2011, 1:59 am

Hi Satish,

Yes, time is a bit fluid. Just don't write yourself into a box by journaling about things that may change over the course of play, but it's not a big deal. Also, don't flashback to a season that happened after you began to play. Once that season ends RL and IC, you can't revisit it without special permission.

And Ulric is 100% right, the desert is a bit of a hodge-podge of various tundra. But if you have to pick the strongest point of inspiration it would be the Judaean Desert. Think mostly Middle East, a dash of American Southwest in the North and a little bit of Sahara in the center.

Having said all that, I echo Ulric, don't stress about writing it perfectly.

P.S. Thanks, Ulric for popping in on this question! :)

Getting to Know Me

[Insert awesome picture of scantily clad woman and something with wings here]
Feeling very poorly lately, have mercy on your absentee merbadger. (2/20/13)
Colombina
Mizahar's Only Mer-Badger Founder

Words: 632175
Joined roleplay: March 29th, 2009, 8:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Satish on December 9th, 2011, 2:13 am

Thank you Colombina, with your description of Eyktol i can now make my travel more concise. without it i could do silly things like hiding behind a rock where is supposed to be a sand dune.

Since i am not supposed to flashback to winter, i will start my travel on autumn to end about on the start of winter.
Satish
The Seeker

Character sheet