Kicking a Spider when it’s Down (Antar & Dhalvasha)

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

While Sylira is by far the most civilized region of Mizahar, countless surprises and encounters await the traveler in its rural wilderness. Called the Wildlands, Syliran's wilderness is comprised of gradual rolling hills in the south that become deep wilderness in the north. Ruins abound throughout the wildlands, and only the well-marked roads are safe.

Postby Shai on December 13th, 2011, 2:29 am

Timestamp: Winter 2nd, 511 AV

After yet another grueling day of travel, Antar finally called their stop for the night. Most nights Shai would be happy to stop and get some relief for her saddle sore hindquarters. But, instead, tonight she was excited. After dragging her captive with them over sea and road into the middle of nowhere between Zeltiva and Sylaris, Shai was finally ready to get the answers she sought.

She had required hours of planning to finally concoct a strategy for extracting her information. Fortunately, there had not been a whole lot else to think about while riding through the seemingly endless wintery forest. Shai simply couldn’t draw Dhalvasha’s blood it would be too many sins for the Symenestra to ever atone for. No, as thorough as his betrayal had been, Dhal was still kin; he was once a member of web and would always be a member of her kind. Truthfully, even hurting him seemed contradictory to tenets Shai followed but if it was for the good of her son it could be justified. The first questions would be simple, painless. Should he persist in his silence his lithe ex-wife would be happy to show him all the skills she had gained since his abandonment and kidnapping.

Antar would oversee the interrogation. Shai, although possessing the skillset, had never used her abilities to gain information in this manner. So someone with prior experience was most welcome, even if she did intend to speak in Symenos. There were a lot of facets she had seen of Antar but being trustworthy was not listed among them. She didn’t want anyone else knowing about the situation than absolutely most and as far as Shai was concerned that meant two people.

Sliding off Chi’s side, Shai went about her nightly routine. Removing the horse’s tack and securing his lead to a tree so he couldn’t wander in the night. The next order of business directly involved Dhalvasha though. It had taken a bit of thought but eventually she had decided to tie the male spider to his horse, he might still escape or worse try to take his revenge. He owed her these answers though. Some part of Shai recalled that he had been her friend and closest confidant for most of her life, but she couldn’t let memories cloud her tonight. No matter who had been his actions were inexcusable and she would promise forgiveness only when her son was back where he belonged; with her.

Stalking over to Dhalvasha’s mount, Shai reached up and tugged on the knots securing him to the beast. It had been uncomfortable riding all day without ropes; she could only imagine it would be much worth with them. No sympathy. Pulling the tether free from the saddle Shai tilted her face up to meet his red eyes. The first red gaze she had ever been able to meet with confidence. The only red gaze to show her how deep attachments could run. . .and cut. Forcing her lips into a pleasant smile she addressed her former webmate in their native tongue, “I hope your ride wasn’t too taxing. We have so much to discuss tonight, I wouldn’t want you to fall asleep Dhalvasha. Not before you give me the answers owed.”

ImageImage
Shai
Alone in the dark.

Words: 424135
Joined roleplay: October 9th, 2011, 5:43 pm
Race: Symenestra
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 2
Featured Character (1) 2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)

Postby Antar on December 13th, 2011, 6:07 am

"I must apologize... my newest Apprentice in the ways of a mercenary, is so young, so very violent instead of using technique. Oh dear, just look at you, she got you all mussed up." The rogue licked a finger of his hand and stretched it out to trail a strand of hair from Dhalvasha's eyes, ever sure not to let his hands stray too close to the man's fangs. He had hunted symenestra before, it wasn't a pleasant experience but he could appreciate the veracity of the race,

"Just so you know I did in the past also take a measure to bring people to Hai, as a bounty hunter. Some syms even the webs of kallinor sent there."" Brushing a bit of dust from Dhalvasha's shoulder, Antar continued to speak rambling on as if he was a vanthan woman gossiping at the market. "Now as you know, my purpose in this little debacle is merely a bit of respect towards the Webs themselves. It's not like I care to get too close to one of the symenestra, on average I just don't like the race, even if their.... males are so slight of figure. Almost girlish don't you think Dhalvasha? But that doesn't matter, my goal here is , as I said to ensure that respect is due to everyone. Including Silkarov, even though I personally respect such a god and don't particularly worships him. You seem to be a nice symenestra, well nicer then the rest of the breed a bit, for a male. The females I've seen seem quite nice too. Oh I practically can't keep them out of my mind, some of their parts like you males are so squishable."

Letting a finger trail over Dhalvasha's shoulder , antar let himself feel the coarse fabric of the man's shirt before summarily grasping it quickly enough in gauntletted hands to tear it to the sides. This served two purposes, one, letting that dhalvasha feel the winter cold upon his skin, and two allowing him to see him espy and markings on his chest looking for scars. "Now what I'm doing now is checking you for injury, or scars since you are apart from your web, a proper Hunter to deliver you to them for whatever crime you committed must ensure that you are safe and passable with the minimal of harm done to you."

Tracing his eyes across the male symenestra's chest he noted a few markings of claws, and the small lacun mark, a mark he recognized almost as a pair to another immediately but didn't show it. Instead he chose to use it to his advantage, and misinterpret what it was as he blithely continued, "What is that?"Antar said as he traced the lacun symbol. "A similar clan mark perhaps? This basic deference to record a prisoner's welfare are amongst every contractual accord, though I don't know the reasons behind this order for your capture completely I must now ask. What crime would a symenestra commit, one that purports himself to be a healer which would require a symenestra of the same clan it seems to request and require your detainment for the 'good of their Web?"

Antar continued his examinations nonchalantly, "Now, it is my role here to stop her from injuring you, and assess if you are already damaged, if necessary to provide medical aid as best I can until she, the contractee in this regards under Viratas and the reference to her symenestra family has decided if whatever crime you have committed is appeased by the context of the exchange you will begin to share. "

"No, no need to speak until I am finished please." Sighing loudy Antar grasped Dhalvasha gently by the head in his review, ever present aware of the fangs the man possesessed. It was another reason he was wary, he was wearing his heaviest armor and gauntlets."One of those duties of transport is to regulate and chronicle that you are well fed and that your own venom is not potent enough to harm anyone , including yourself. This is merely the role I have been contracted too in order to ascertain your safety and continued good health. " His next words were a subtel rebuke to Shai for her acts of hiding something from him if her ire became aroused. "If necessary, I will be forced as the transporter to step in between the two of you during this journey to ensure your safety. By the tenets of such contracts, and your own personal actions in assisting our group as a whole , be it the guild Shai has now joined; or the party of mercenaries who are now traveling to alvadas to help the government there."

Finishing his cursory inspection of Dhalvasha's hair, and removing a slight tick from the white strands to flick it towards a fire., Antar's gauntletted hands reverently closed up the buttons of the symenestra's shirt saying, "I would endeavor to say that the medical check is complete, and that you are very lucky I have been contracted as a transporter and not as an mercenary in regards to you. It is my job to facilitate transport of you , to any place that is necessary for cordial dialogue to begin. It however is not my place as a Hai transporter and contractant to judge or do anything but record whatever transpires between you. It is not a matter of being an outsider here, it is merely ascertaining whether or not legally, you would be remitted to Hai under Kallinor's code. "

Longwinded speeches were so boring, especially when they were untrue, well sorta untrue, he wasn't adhering to any code here today, though in the past if he had been acting under the guise of a hunter for Hai as he had in his past life then he might even have done what he was preaching now."If not, and this is a matter of a domestic dispute between the webs and of a personal nature, I shall merely transcribe , in common, as best I can in lieu of another symenestra being here, a transcript of all events that partake now in this investigation to determine your treatement henceforth. By the end of this night, should the party of Shai ...who has refused and refuted her use of her secondary familial name, yet shall only be accorded as Shai , the contractee. And the name of Dhalvasha, the prisoner of which you shall say your web name for the recordings, come to a collaborative agreement that allows the cessation of your capture and transport back to kallinor for any discrepancies between your webs then this writ of recording and it's four copies I shall make of anything that transpires here, then you will be let go or asked to serve further capture under your own web's honor, once again. My place and purpose has no bearing on the issues spoken of here tonight. It is only my role as a Hunter to see that your rights as a prisoner, and as a symenestra, both rare in sunberth or elsewhere for that matter, are not violated. You under, Viratas' name will not be bled, at least not if you should choose to engage yourself honorably and attack your contracted gaoler, which in this case is myself; or the contractee. In return, you will not be harmed unduly, unless , as stated prior, you have been judged dangerous for transport, and your crime suitable for disposition to Hai after your deliverance to Kallinor with a record of your trangressions being made of sufficient degree as to ensure your dispositions before the head of your Web and the Head of her web for whatever percieved injury, unless the declaration of honor combat or some other symenestran law or custom takes precedence."

Sighing loudly he paused and bent down to whisper in Dhalvasha's ear. "That means if there's a possibility of honor combat of some sort between you two to settle your differences, or your percieved wrong it is best it is recorded in common that such is done First so I may know the how , the why, and the reasons for it. "Speaking in common a hint of certainty entered his voice,"That also means that unless there are other pressures, I will endeavor to keep you as safe as possible Dhalvasha for as long as you are in transport , or the day she decides to drop and nullify this contract's continuance. If that ever happens then the four parchments and scrolls of recording what goes on here today will be sealed by wax. One to you, one to her, one to kallinor, and one last to hai or kept by me to ensure the veracity of your freedom in this regard."

"In even shorter terms, that means I"m here as the bouncer of the club stopping two unruly symenestra from getting too deadly with one another unless it's necessary by some tradition of honor combat. If such combat happens, I must confirm the winner, the draw , or the surrender of one of its two participants and send the record to kallinor. I will say this: I don't like that. I actually think it's unnecessary seeing how you seem to be a doctor not going out and cutting open the bellies of other race's females but I could be wrong."Patting the man's shoulder the long winded rogue launched into a tirade of legal babble as the jargon continued to flow from his lips. "Whatever the matter at hand, It is not your turn yet to speak to her, and her turn to speak to you. "Looking back towards Shai for a moment , he paused and turned back to Dhalvasha, as he said the words she had told him to say, or rather that he had forced her by proxy to properly teach him their elocutions of the most basic sentences.

Directly to Dhalvasha's hearing, in broken symenos the words he had asked for Shai to teach him were strung together as he said. "On the honor of your web, I ask that you speak to one another in common, not deviating into symenos unless absolutely necessary. For the testament scroll to kallinor, all such things said in such a language must be properly recorded, if not by my hand, then by hers upon the logs. I have no part in this besides that purpose and that express purpose only, unless I must ask questions for the record.. My race, does not matter. My actions outside your reckoning do not matter, the only thing that matters now is you speak now in the name of your Web that you will heed to these requirements."

Finishing in common, "In this regard , you have the ability to face your acuser, and not over a knife blade, a rare thing in any part of any conflagration. To start, you will assure me that your crimes , whatever they may be, do not warrant your disposal to Hai, and that you Dhalvasha, will commence negotiations with the contractee openly in a matter of free standing. If necessary swearing your commitment to an open, if recorded, discussion between the two of you."

Taking a step back, Antar wondered if he had laid it on too thick, most of that spur had been pieces of inspiration due to the partial set of data he had gathered, but... he had only told Shai he would take part in this in order to ensure her safety and her best circumstances, not that he would torture someone for her. He might get physical, but he figured the basic means to gain her the information she sought was by entering a ruse of actually working this as a contractee of Hai, not that he would actually obey it to the letter. Even if he gave the appearance of acquiescence. If Shai said that Dhalvasha was to be let go, then he would be let go, but the basic fact remained: the psychology of spiders, as best to his knowledge was linked to that damnable religion of Viratas.

The one that made her lick up his blood, and if that lacun mark which matched hers was anything to be given, it was a fair bet Dhalvasha's own views might fall into line. He wasn't interested in Shai's, nor Dhalvasha's past here. Well, not really , unless the male symenestra had actually committed a crime so heinous towards Shai that Antar deemed it warranted his death.

He was honest at rare times, with his peculiar sense of loyalty. But only time would tell if the rogue might hear something that might make him want to squish the two spiders together. But instead he composed himself on a nearby log behind the bound Dhalvasha sitting where he was and began to take out a vial of ink and some parchment for writing. For a brief instant he let his eyes wander over the male symenestran's to meet Shai's with an amusing glint within them. He was wondering if she had known him long enough to know that he was bluffing about many things he had just said.

oocSorry for the rogue acting like a rogue :p. Basically this means if necessary he won't care if you speak in symenos so long as shai acts to come over to transcribe "All cheesburgers are from gargoyle meat, or some other guise to refute the information. Antar's basically just trying to work many interrogations techniques as the 'good' cop here.' He's just coming up with the legal mumbo jumbo connections to Hai etc on the spot to muddy the waters of dhalvasha's view. Heck, he even will give Dhalvasha a nice summary of the conversations(to the best of his transcribing) he has with Shai if she lets him go. ^-^ Though I predict: Shai might try to steal it back :P Otherwise he'll be contented to 'play his part' of someone contracted to transport Dhalvash to Hai, or kallinor. Something *he believes* would culturally be reserved for the most heinous of crimes in symenestra culture, that might get dhalvasha thinking on what this is about ^ and muddy the waters further. I don't know XD . But it's food for your thought. :P Dhalvasha, SHai Feel free to describe antar scribbling from behind Dhalvasha, looking like the impassive stoic sort he is whenever dhalvasha glances his way. For all I know Antar might be playing eye games during this entire story loling his tuckus off. :p"
"I am the Shadow and the smoke in your eyes, I am the ghost that hides in the night."
~Back, but slow. :)
Antar
"A thousand voices screaming in unison..."

Words: 902531
Joined roleplay: June 15th, 2011, 3:10 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)