Chinese IPs banned from the site

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

IC News travels slowly in Mizahar. Fortunately there is a constant stream of news from around campfires, from caravan to caravan and from merchants to merchants. Within this forum lies the best of the best of this talk. Also, within this forum, OOC news from the staff and players can be found. This forum requires all posts to be 'approved' by a Founder before they are displayed. So if you post within, be patient. Your post did display - it simply will not show to everyone until approved as actual 'news'. Please keep all Introductions, Status Updates, and various other discussions in their appropriate forums and leave this area for game news!

Postby Tarot on December 19th, 2011, 8:57 pm

Hello Mizaharians,

as a drastic measure to combat the influx of spammers, I have banned a huge range of IP addresses corresponding to pretty much all of mainland China. Unfortunately, these are not stupid bots that we can trick into helplessness. These are more likely indentured servants whose job is to register on sites and pave the way for actual bots. I was also loathe to rely on external spam-checking services.

I have tried connecting from several Chinese proxies and they were all blocked. Singapore and Hong Kong IPs should be safe. I've tried common IPs used by our players from those areas and they should all be working. Do let me know if you get a Forbidden message, though. We obviously don't want to lock out legitimate players. We never got an actual player from mainland China that I can think of, so the benefit should be greater than the loss.

Thank you for your understanding and be assured it was a necessary step. Spammers can use proxies, of course, but every single account we've deleted these past weeks was from Beijing and used no proxies.
Tarot's thread tickets: sold out. Not accepting any more threads for the time being unless I promised you one. Sorry for the inconvenience!
Tarot
May you live in interesting times

Words: 766317
Joined roleplay: March 23rd, 2009, 4:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 5
Featured Thread (1) One Thousand Posts! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) Being Tarot Award (1)
O RLY Decoration (1)

Postby Eridanus on December 19th, 2011, 9:56 pm

sweet. great job Tarot! I was beginning to get annoyed when they kept on spamming my account comments >.<
NOTICE: I am currently mostly inactive til August. As such, guild activities are temporarily halted (watch out for major revamps, changes and organizations when I'm back in full force). Any activity with Eri will be rather slow as well, but I am slowly readjusting back to "Mizahar life", so to speak, so do PM me if we have a thread that I left hanging and we'll talk.

"You must be one hardcore scholar, Eri." (Laszlo)
First winner of the prestigious Mirage's No Kill Medal.
Eridanus
It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

Words: 1312082
Joined roleplay: October 24th, 2011, 2:03 am
Race: Ethaefal
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 8
Featured Character (1) Overlored (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)
Extreme Scrapbooker (1) 2012 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1)
2011 Mizahar NaNo Winner (1) 2011 Top NaNo Word Count (1)