Fair Isn’t Fair

[Patchwork Port; Marius] But sometimes it is.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Victor Lark on December 24th, 2011, 11:18 pm

Winter 5, 511

“All of it.”

“Excuse me?”

“Every single one you’ve got left. It’s not like they’ll spoil—”

“They’re five per.”

“—and I was hoping that buying in bulk would make me a friend.” The merchant laughed. It was a confident one, full of experience and impatience, but Victor took it for hesitation. He preferred the sound of his own voice over the Denvali man’s peculiar accent, anyway. “You said forty bottles will last me two seasons, and I want to last two seasons. That totals to...”

“There are actually forty-six.” Victor sighed and pretended to count on his fingers. “Two-hundred-thirty, for the lot of them.”

“What if I—”

The Denvali stepped closer. The Ravokian returned the gesture with a smug grin, staring straight at the eyes that towered nearly half a foot over him. His breath smelled like liquor and herbs. “I don’t think you understand, boy. If I give you the lot of this, you’ll have the best drink your queer little town has ever seen; liquid gold compared to your Alvadassan piss-water.”

“Alvad,” Victor corrected, popping his index finger against the proximity of the man’s nose. A pause passed and he clarified, “It’s just Alvad.”

Green-brown eyes rolled and the foreigner stepped back. He turned to the men on his boat and opened his mouth to call something at them.

“Sure,” businessman Lark interrupted, and quickly. He moved forward, rubbing together the wool on his hands. “Two-thirty... if your guys deliver it all. I’ve got a hundred here, and I can give you the rest when you get there.” The wooden planks squealed beneath his thumping winter boots as he pulled a heavy velvet purse from his belt and dangled it before him. “Here.”

As Victor stuffed his hands in the pockets of his coat, the degtine merchant frowned and pulled the gilded strings, examining the pouch’s contents. “And where’s it going?”

“It’s called the Sun and Stars Tavern. They’ll tell you how to find it at the big building, just on the other side of the gate.”

They exchanged nods, and Victor turned away from the spray of the sea, hunched against the cold. The deal was a decent one, and so was the taste he had been offered of the rare and prodigious Degtine. Victor worried that the single shot might have influenced his demeanor, but then he decided it could not have gone any better. He sighed. His breath was hot and white as he muttered some encouragement to himself, “Two-thirty my ass. Shyke’s not that good.”
Victor Lark
How does that make you feel?

Words: 412831
Joined roleplay: April 8th, 2011, 8:33 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Marius Valdemar on January 4th, 2012, 5:55 am

The Rich One's Worry, the game was called.

It was actually Marcus's idea, which was odd because brains were never really what he was good for. Normally Marius came up with the best ideas, the best tricks and the best games. Marcus was best for lifting stuff, intimidating the other kids that weren't orphans, and being the knight in Save the Princess. But earlier they had gotten bored of all their usual games and were hungry and needed some more funds.

The idea was a scavenger hunt. Sort of. Marcus said whoever could come back with the biggest purse the whole proceedings would go to whoever won's big gift, and the rest will go to food. Everyone thought that was a great idea, and had clambered over each other in an effort to go out onto the streets of Alvadas to find the best Rich One.

Marius searched for quite a while before he finally found someone worth following. He was walking rather close to everyone, sometimes unusually so. He did this because the boy knew how to listen, to tune out the white noise of the rest of the crowd and zone in on the clink of coin. He passed a man and the sound of cold metal was prevalent underneath the folds of his fine clothes. His target had been found. The problem was, all of his coin was obviously tucked securely on his person, and there was no way that Marius would be able to lift it quickly from him. He had to find some other way of taking the juicy prize.

And so he waited and watched; the way his old friend Crow had taught him to. He would learn about him and strike when the moment presented itself. Which was now. Right now. It was happening. A smile spread across his face when Marius devised a mischievous plot that would surely give the boy an opportunity to snatch the goods right out of the Rich One's manicured fingers.

He heard the entire conversation hiding out behind some barrels that smelled like old fishermen. It was clear that the Rich One was being cheated in whatever he was buying, but either he did not know what was happening or he had given up caring and just wanted the product. But if he were to receive that obviously hard-earned money back, say from the deft hands of some dashing and handsome orphan, perhaps that Rich One might be very grateful. Perhaps he might even treat such a hungry young lad to a meal, and take out that heavy money purse into the open for all to see.

It was not hard tricking the foreign merchant. All Marius had to do was chuck a chilled cod into a collection of colored cups close to the culprit. The sudden noise and clutter made the man jump and turn to see what had caused it, and in that distraction Marius managed to snatch the appropriate amount of Mizas and be off before anyone noticed what he had done. It was perfect: the man would not realize the amount he was missing till later when he counted it, and the Rich One just had to be grateful to get the money he was cheated out of back.

Marius looked back to make sure he wasn't being followed, but everyone was too worked up about the mess he had made and the unintelligible ranting that Chappy the beggar was making about who knocked over his prized cup collection. Marius wouldn't have to worry about getting into trouble at least, but now he had to find the Rich One again. Shouldn't be too hard, he figured.
Marius Valdemar
Wanna hear a joke?

Words: 20261
Joined roleplay: November 6th, 2011, 4:59 am
Character sheet

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Victor Lark on January 14th, 2012, 7:11 am

A dark cloud loomed over the nearby city, clinging to the mountains like a heavy hammock. Beyond its concentration of darkness, the sky was clear and pale and cold; Victor saw the contrast and was amused, but his lips did not stray from their deflating scowl as they gladly sucked in a piece of crisp, white air. This place was as much a part of Alvadas as the rest, but the docks had a special charm. For one, they kept their shape, each piecemeal lane as constant as real world. And even though the sea smelled more like brine than the rotten canals of his home, the undulating glow of water beneath his feet held a comforting familiarity.

A sigh wilted from his upturned gaze as he headed in the storm’s direction, but on the following inhale, he stopped. The stench of fresh fish waded into his nostrils, and he fondled the small stash of silvers that were warming between his hand and pocket. A suddenly hungry tongue escaped his mouth for an instant, then he stepped towards a merchant in a patchwork stall.

Before he could put his foot down, a mumbling stranger stepped in front of him. He was covered in a putrid layer of filth and clutching an impossible number of cups to his chest, mumbling unintelligibly. Victor managed to move back before they could knock together and cause a scene, but a shadow of dirt had still scathed his sleeve. He looked down at it, decided it was not worth ruining his glove to brush it away, and resumed to the booth. Beneath the chilled shadow of its awning, he retrieved a few coppers for his silver and wrapped a napkin around his breakfast: a cold sliver of herring inside a hard bread roll.

Settling his elbows against a nearby standing table, he ripped a bite out of the sandwich and scanned the growing crowd for an interesting face.
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Marius Valdemar on January 24th, 2012, 6:27 am

Finding this guy was turning out to be harder than he thought. The little fiasco which caused Chappy to shout like a madman combined with the loudness of the cups falling had attracted quite the crowd, and in that confusion he had lost sight of the Rich One. Alvadas's fickle illusions may have very well put poor Marius off the trail forever.

However, this grinning lad knew that his city would not allow him to lose the contest. His darling Alvadas was a protective mother after all. The Rich One couldn't be too far.

And there he was. All gussied up and ripe for the picking. He just didn't know it yet. Marius spit into his hand and smoothed his hair down and wiped what dirt he could from his face, getting ready for the great act, the devious trick.

"I wonder what has all of them all riled up." He said as he walked up to the man. "Just another day in Alvadas eh?"

Perhaps the man was new, perhaps he wasn't. That wasn't the point. The point was to start off on a friendly foot, to introduce himself as one who knew the city well. If Marius knew anyone it was nobles and the Rich Ones, and more than likely this man would tell him to shove off or simply ignore him until he left. He couldn't give him the opportunity. He needed to instill the necessity of his presence before the impact of his introduction wore off, despite whether it was for good or ill.

"Yup, just another day in good old Alvadas." He started again quickly. "People gather around the curious stuff, then go on with their lives, beggars beg, and merchants cheat people out of their hard earned coin. In fact, that's why I'm here sirrah." From the inner pockets of his raggedy shirt Marius withdrew the coins he had pilfered and dropped them casually onto the table in front of his sandwich. "I believe that these belong to you. I've had his watery swill before, and its not worth getting cheated for."
Marius Valdemar
Wanna hear a joke?

Character sheet

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Victor Lark on January 28th, 2012, 11:45 pm

Victor was not given the chance to measure up the child that approached him, to guess at his purpose or engage in his conversation. Any question he could have asked was answered by the clunk and shine of gold-rimmed coins on the table beneath his elbows, or the proud explanation from blithe young lips. Any question—except one.

“And what is your name?” He laughed, pulling off his glove to piece through the pile with his bare fingers. The winter air was refreshingly cool on his clammy hand, which had avoided the cold for so long. There were thirty there indeed, the same amount he thought he would save by haggling. An imperfect attempt at gratitude lighted on his brow and the corners of his eyes. He offered his hand in greeting. “I’m Victor.”

When their palms parted, Marius would find himself with a gold piece in his hand, returned to him by a parlor trick Victor had learned at the ‘Wager. He pretended he did not notice the transaction, casually contemplating his sandwich. “I don’t think you’ve had the stuff,” he countered, deciding against taking a bite. Looking up, he explained, “Degtine, from the North. He said this was his last stop, and the last of his stock. However watery his swill, we’re the only guys in town to sell it. That’ll bring in profit enough.”

With a beat, he remembered to advertise. “The Sun and Stars is where it’ll be, if you ever want a taste.” It felt strange not to mention its location, but he had to assume the kid knew not to expect any more details. Victor was smart at that age, smarter than any of his cousins (though they did not know it, of course). He remembered that part of his life fondly, and wondered how similarly this one lived. A noble’s son, Victor had only pretended to be a vagrant; the young stranger’s ability to give up so much money suggested the same. He paused to observe him, secretly trying to guess at his game.

Finally, Victor acknowledged the money he had given with a wave of his hand. “Buy yourself some food, and tell me why you really want to help me.” He gave an inviting grin and tore a bite out of his own.
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Marius Valdemar on February 1st, 2012, 11:14 pm

Marius contemplated giving the man a fake name. Sure, he was about to rob him blind, but there was always the chance that he happened to be more perceptive than the usual targets he pulled Tricks on. It had happened before. He wasn't the best at lying, but he could get by. He decided to take a chance.

"Marius at your humble service sir." He said and grabbed the man's hand. He was surprised when he reclaimed the limb, for his palm did not glint in the sunlight a second ago. Rather deft of the man. He had not even felt it till it was in his hand. He turned his palm and allowed the coin to slip into his thumb and index finger, positioned it just right on his nail, then flipped it high in the air and caught it before it hit the table.

"Thank you kindly, sir. I haven't eaten since yesterday even." With a gesture he waved the serving wench back over to the table and ordered a bit of broth, the perfect thing to bring his strength back should he need a timely escape.

"Who says I didn't just want to help a stranger?" He said as the wench left to get his order. "I can't ever stand a merchant weasel his way into a few more Mizas. Besides, don't you know politics? You look like someone that would grant good favors, no matter how small." He had learned the game from his six-armed friend Ifran, who had taught him how politics worked. Marius had often found the concept to share similarities with pulling a Trick, and thus had caught on quickly. He wondered what the Eypharian would think about this current game of his.
Marius Valdemar
Wanna hear a joke?

Character sheet

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Victor Lark on February 4th, 2012, 8:53 pm

He breathed a friendly scoff at Marius’s claims to starvation, and only realized afterward that it might not have been a joke. If only to save face, Victor decided it was. A chill wind crossed the pair, stirring the steam that rose from his acquaintance’s broth as it was delivered. The older boy regarded his own food, peeling a piece from the hard bread in his hand and reaching across the standing table to dip the cold rind in the warm bowl. It dripped a short trail over the splintering wood before it was tossed onto his hungry tongue.

“Do I?” He replied between chews, happy to let the kid assume as much. The inevitable next step was to ask what favor Marius meant to ask, but Victor decided he would let him grovel first.

“You’re clever,” he granted. “And a good sneak. I can respect that.” With a sigh, he set his bread and fish down on the raw table so that he could retrieve the regained coins for himself. The purse jingled anew on his belt, but his long coat covered it again, pulled it close and heavy against his side. He knew enough about city pickpockets to give them a challenge. “But I don’t give favors to strangers just because they’re clever, especially not tricky little mice like you. I’ve been in your place, you know. I’ve fooled a grown-up or two, in my time.”

His tone had turned friendly, familiar in the shadow of nostalgia. If he was not careful with his words, Victor might let his jealousy show. And so he retreated; his mouth was straight, his eyes eerily dim, as he refused to let this vagrant think he was any less than a businessman. “Tell me why I should trust you, Marius.”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Marius Valdemar on March 3rd, 2012, 4:48 am

A coy smile spread across the laughing boy's face. Marius knew enough to realize when he was in, and only needed a well versed signature to seal the deal.

"Why sir, you said it yourself! You seem like a man that could appreciate a good sneak when done properly. And I, for one, am not a thug on the streets of our lady Alvadas. Skill and style, Victor, sir, and that I have in abundance. I've pilfered bakeries, butcheries, and bazaars. I've snuck through shops and sanctums, the personal kind. There's not a safe safe in all of Alvadas when Marius the great is around!"

These were all lies. Marius was, in truth, a petty criminal at best and a lucky orphan at least.

"I'm not trying to fool you, serrah." He assured. He needed to think of something concrete, something that was believable. "I got you the coins back did I not?" His smile was warm, but his eyes fell to their lunch. "Also I uh, need a place to stay tonight. Nights on the streets are harsh, and a tricky little mouse sometimes needs to bend the law to survive. There are men after me Mr. Victor. You have no reason not to trust me."
Marius Valdemar
Wanna hear a joke?

Character sheet

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Victor Lark on March 16th, 2012, 2:05 am

Victor narrowed his eyes at Marius, prying a nail into the bread in his hand, considering. Everything he knew to be true was said truly enough, and everything he did not know was reasonable enough. Such deceits were the basic sort, the kind Victor had learned around Marius’s age, and yet he found himself eager to accept them at face value. Those who spoke whole truths were not welcome in Alvadas anyhow, and this boy was surely a born and bred Alvad. A bout of envy stilled him, and then he took another bite of his fish-and-bread.

He watched him as he made him wait. There were secrets to be weaned in impatience, though this businessman would never admit that he had never been very good at weaning. He chewed, and he swallowed. And then he laughed.

“I have plenty of reasons,” he replied. “And neither do you have any reason to trust me, but here we are.” Faces with fronts and hidden backs. “Come on with me. You’ve paid your lodging for tonight, at least.”
Victor Lark

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Fair Isn’t Fair

Postby Mirage on March 21st, 2012, 2:26 am

The Truth Within the Reality

Marius :
XP Awarded
  • Larceny: 1
  • Subterfuge: 1

Lores Awarded
  • N/A

Victor :
XP Awarded
  • Negotiations: 1

Lores Awarded
  • N/A

The Truth Hidden by a Mirage :
Very interesting you guys. This wasn't a huge point grabber, but I am sure you realized that going in haha. I can't wait to see where you take this new collaboration :)
Mirage
Truth is never certain

Words: 1231300
Joined roleplay: January 5th, 2012, 8:47 am
Race: Staff account
Office
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Featured Thread (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) One Million Words! (1)