[Flashback] You cannot kill what you did not create [Solo]

Solo Flashback in which Corpus starts learning Alchemy. Part I

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forum. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Considered one of the most mysterious cities in Mizahar, Alvadas is called The City of Illusions. It is the home of Ionu and the notorious Inverted. This city sits on one of the main crossroads through The Region of Kalea.

Postby Corpus Aeternum on January 10th, 2012, 10:20 pm

OOC :: Title is a line of lyrics from the Slipknot song Duality.

Time Stamp :: 2nd of Spring 495BV
The watchtower just marked the changing of the seasons just a couple of days ago, so the snow on the ground in the chill in the air was still there. It wasn’t unremarkable really. It’s not like Corpus could change the immediate surrounding areas from cold and white to warm and green. What he could change is his location. From outside to inside! And that is what the four year old did.

Shivering as he stepped into his uncle’s residence he pushed the door shut just as his sole-provider and care-giver’s voice called from down the hall, “Corpus, in here!” Uncle Marthos was all about the lessons today it seemed.

“Coming uncle.” The young child managed to squeak in response as he shrugged off his outerwear and hung it close to the fire to get warm. Warmth and a good lesson it would appear. Making his way down the hallway Corpus could feel the hair on his neck standing up on end, It was a rather odd sensation, and not one Corpus was truly accustomed too, even though in this household he should’ve been.

Pausing for a few minutes outside of a door, the sensation being the strongest here, Corpus knocked softly before opening the door and coming in. It wasn’t what Corpus expected to see, but it wasn’t entirely outlandish. It was a lesson alright.

Standing before Corpus was his uncle Marthos Aeternum, a small table to his uncle’s right which had a simple ring roughly the size of a tea saucer placed there. The ring was made of a metal of sorts with small gem like stones placed in it indents filled with what appeared to be small amounts of red jelly in one and red dyed water in the other. Before Corpus could open his mouth though to speak, his uncle motioned towards the ring.

“This is a small ring my dear nephew. As you can see, there are two gemstones substances placed into it. Those are chargers. Today you will be learning your first lesson of Alchemy.” The words were foreign to the young ears of Corpus, but soon they wouldn’t be.

“Today you will be learning how to charge a portal. I have already placed chargers into the ring and started the charged process. You will finish it.” It wasn’t the words now that caught Corpus’s attention, but the small ornate dagger his uncle produced from within his robes.

“In order to charge a ring with your djed young Corpus, you have to first give the portal a glimpse of your djed, a taste if you will.” Holding out the dagger’s hilt towards Corpus Marthos smiled, almost as if he was remembering his first time.

“Don’t be afraid, you won’t feel a thing. I assure you that.”

Corpus gulped and nodded, his uncle was his sole-provider and guardian, his uncle would never seek to hurt him… Would he? No, no. He wouldn’t dare! With a hestitate hand Corpus wrapped his hand around the hilt and relieved his uncle from it’s weight. A sturdy and slightly heavy knife Corpus hefted it’s weight and looked upon his uncle for further instructions.

“Now what uncle?”

It was a question any skeptical child would ask, but it wasn’t the way a child would ask it. Oh no, Corpus Aeternum asked it in a fashion that was determined to learn the trade of Alchemy.

“Now you prick yourself young Corpus. Upon the finger.” With those words pouring from Martho’s lips the young boy raised a finger to the razor sharp tip and hovered over it. “Come now Corpus, it will only hurt a second. I promise.”

Corpus gulped once more, sweat appearing at his brow, the hand holding the dagger turning a vivid white at the knuckles. Corpus squeezed his eyes shut and pressed the finger tip down against the blade’s tip. There was a small prick and his uncle’s hand pulling the finger away from the dagger.

“Very good Corpus, now… Place the finger against one of the gemstones. the jelly substance on the left.” Corpus hesitated, but with his uncle’s grasp on his hand the child had no choice, it was what could happen next that frightened the boy now. The finger pricking was something he could get used too, it was the fear of conjuring something that scared him now.

Once the finger was in place Corpus’ uncle removed his hand from the boy’s and murmured into the boy’s ear to concentrate on the flow of djed into the charger. This didn’t happen though, the poor child could only concentrate on the possibility of conjuring something horrid, the flow of djed didn’t occur. The ring didn’t sputter or spit any djed sparks, nor did it glow.

Instead, it sat there, on the stand.

“Pathetic Corpus, I know you can do better.”

OOC: Editted parts to allow for corrections, as allowed by Fallacy.
Last edited by Corpus Aeternum on January 31st, 2012, 2:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corpus Aeternum
[Character Sheet]-[Storyteller Secrets]-[Plot Notes]

Alternate Characters
Lunae - Ravok|Ball - Syliras|Aose - Wind Reach|Ly'an Godhammer - Sultros

Retired Characters
Innoxium-Avanthal|Anpu - Ahnatep|Mendax Nox Propria - Zeltiva

*** Please feel free to PM me for threads or plot ideas! ***
Corpus Aeternum
Player

Words: 29468
Joined roleplay: October 13th, 2011, 7:10 pm
Race: Nuit
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

You cannot kill what you did not create [Part I]

Postby Corpus Aeternum on January 10th, 2012, 10:26 pm

Time Stamp :: 13th of Winter 511AV
Pathetic Corpus, I know you can do better…

Corpus laid awake in his bed, staring up at the ceiling. If only his uncle knew what he possessed now in power, the old man would be proud of him.

“I wasn’t pathetic uncle… Just a child. A child you decided to thrust upon your own twisted version of lessons and heritage. But I learned, didn’t I? I learned the craft and the art of Alchemy.”

Sitting up the ancient Nuit looked at his nightstand. There wasn’t a bloody thing on the stand by a spool of thread with a needle slid between several loops of thread and his uncle’s ring. It was the ring that reminded Corpus most of his uncle.

The ring that his uncle forged out of alchemy.

“You called me pathetic… But you will never remember what happened next do you?”
Last edited by Corpus Aeternum on January 10th, 2012, 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Corpus Aeternum

Alternate Characters

Retired Characters

Corpus Aeternum
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

You cannot kill what you did not create [Part I]

Postby Corpus Aeternum on January 10th, 2012, 10:44 pm

Time Stamp :: 2nd of Spring 495BV
“Pathetic Corpus, I know you can do better.” It was words of disgust, words of spite.

They were words that hurt Corpus, and it was emotions that sparked him to learn this trade. This twisted family heritage. He pulled his mind away from the fear of bringing something horrid into being to something darker, more sinister. Corpus was determined to prove that he wasn’t pathetic.

Screwing his eyes shut tighter than before Corpus willed himself to relax and bring about something that would make his uncle proud.

Once relaxed and determined to make his uncle proud Corpus could feel a swirling energy building in his chest, like his stomach filled with water and he was running around. the substance beneath his finger felt like it was tugging at the odd swirling in his chest, almost like the tides of the Suvan Sea and the moon in the sky. But it was determination nonetheless that the boy felt most of all. It was a flicker of hope he could do some good that caused the first weak spark of djed to appear on the rim of the ring. His uncle’s cry of joy and ultimately the feeling of worthiness in Corpus that occurred afterwards was only the fuel with which fed Corpus’s determination. The swirling in his chest and the tugging in his finger from the jelly was getting harder and harder to decipher, as if they were becoming one, a swirling tug that Corpus only could describe as a small dust cyclone he'd find sweeping around the alleys but far bigger and more powerful. The ring sparked and sparked, each time larger and larger sparks. Corpus was feeling fatigued, but he was determined to make something happen.

Marthos Aeternum could see what his young nephew was doing and tried to stop the child. Without injuring the child was going to be tough. But Marthos knew he could do it. It came with a wrenching scream of pain from Corpus as his uncle pulled the boy’s hand away from the ring. It was the screaming that brought Corpus back to his senses as he lost concentration and thus connection with his djed streaming into the ring’s chargers.

It was the scream that got cut off as the young boy collapsed into unconsciousness due to over-exerting himself in an attempt to prove he was worthy and useful.

“You are more determined than you should be Corpus. My dear nephew.”

OOC: Edits done with permission from Fallacy.
Last edited by Corpus Aeternum on January 31st, 2012, 2:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Corpus Aeternum

Alternate Characters

Retired Characters

Corpus Aeternum
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Corpus Aeternum on January 10th, 2012, 11:28 pm

Time Stamp :: 13th of Winter 511AV
“You are more determined than you should be Corpus. My dear nephew.”

Picking up the ring Corpus grimaced, “Who would’ve thought a child my age could do something like that? I didn’t. You were insane to allow me to first learn by myself! You fool.” Clutching the ring tightly in his hand Corpus cut back a soft huff as he glared at the ring’s faceted stone.

“Uncle, I doubt you truly believed in me because if you did, you would’ve never uttered those words and forced me to prove myself in your eyes.”

Corpus tossed the ring back onto his nightstand and leaned back into bed, his eyes never leaving the ring’s gem.

“But let’s continue this reminiscing shall we Uncle? Let’s see where it takes us.”
Corpus Aeternum

Alternate Characters

Retired Characters

Corpus Aeternum
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Corpus Aeternum on January 10th, 2012, 11:44 pm

Time Stamp :: 2nd of Winter 495BV
It was several hours before Corpus regained consciousness. His uncle sitting before him in a chair. The boy, having been placed in a couch nearby the stand and ring. It was what was in the ring that startled the boy. It was a semi-formed blob, colorless, odorless. It was as if the air that was sitting in the middle of the ring had solidified.

Corpus looked at his Uncle, who gave but a nod, “Yes Corpus, you did that.” Corpus sat up and leaned forward to the curious blob. A look of amazement appeared on the boy’s face, it was truly a miracle and proof!

Then again, he wasn’t sure entirely what the item was. He touched the blob, it was airy, his hand passed through it, causing the blob to push around his hand as if it was just a minor inconvenience to it.

“What is it Uncle?” Corpus looked back up at his uncle as he pulled his hand back to him and the blob closed in on itself as if his hand was never there. Much like air does when something is moved out of it’s way.

“Honestly Corpus, I do not know myself. I didn't expect anything to occur, there was nothing in the middle to contain a catalyst that shouldn't have occured, yet did. You see, the substance you touched was nothing but a small dab of the strawberry perserves we have in the pantry, the colored water on the right was just a bit of water I swirled the spoon in after I was finished with the perserves. As you can see though, they are both blackened and burned as much as a liquid can be. However, if I was to hazard a guess as to what was created... It appears to be air solidified.”

Air solidified… Wow.

“But Uncle, how?” The curiousity was now sparked; Corpus’s mind was made up from some twist of fate.

“Alchemy young nephew. Alchemy.” Marthos replied with a hand on Corpus’s shoulder. “A trade you will excel in. I am sure of it.”

It was just then that the blob of solidified air collapsed on itself, ceasing to exist and new air molecules taken its place, as if nothing happened.

“Now go eat something and rest Marcus, your first practical lesson is complete. Once you have rested and eaten I will start to explain and lecture you the Sacred Science that is Alchemy. Using this practical lesson as a visual representation of what you will learn. And yes, before you respond, I will do my very best to explain whathappened to the perserves and the water.

The boy nodded and stood to do as ordered, he swayed and dropped to the couch once again, dizzy from his ordeal. Once his vertigo left Corpus stood slowly and made his way to the kitchen to fix himself a sandwich…

Uncle, you have taught me something important today. Only the person that created an item can destroy that item.You have also shown that you are scared and amazed at what I am capable of doing. It scares me as well, have no fear uncle. This unknown innate ability of mine is ultimately scary and frighteningly so. Man should not be able to create with magic what only the gods should be allowed.

OOC: Editted as per Fallacy allowance.
Last edited by Corpus Aeternum on January 31st, 2012, 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Corpus Aeternum

Alternate Characters

Retired Characters

Corpus Aeternum
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes

Postby Fallacy on January 22nd, 2012, 12:32 am

XP Award!

Name:Corpus Aeternum
XP Award:
  • Alchemy- 3
Lore:
  • Uncles lessons
  • Remembering the past
Notes:

Hello there. This was a fine thread indeed. Well written, and I really like your voice and how you place your words. That being said I did not give you a lot of points in alchemy because of the lack of detail in the post. What was the fount and filter? What made up the reaction? If the uncle was supposed to be teaching Corpus then he should at least have a theory of what the reaction should create. I really liked the flashbacks within the thread, but it needs more detail to get more points. How did the Djed feel to the boy? His thoughts? Go deeper into both the process and the character. Overall though it was an enjoyable thread and I know you will do better in the future :)

Im very curious to know how one makes 'Air solidified'. If you add more detail and perhaps a suitable explanation I may raise your grade a bit. PM me if you decide to take up this option and tell me what you changed and where. Thank you.

Any questions or concerns about the rewards gained please send a PM :)

12 hour shifts have started, and Im working 6-7 days a week mandatory overtime. My replies will be slow until I can adjust to this new groove.
Fallacy
I think you're crazy just like me.

Words: 493223
Joined roleplay: June 23rd, 2011, 7:58 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 2
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)