No excuses (Banir, Oluse)

In which a 15-year-old girl forces a berserker to seek medical attention.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

This northernmost city is the home of Morwen, The Goddess of Winter, and her followers who dwell year round in a land of frozen wonder. [Lore]

Postby Alea Davenport on January 18th, 2012, 10:38 pm

44th Winter, 511

The morning of the 44th began with a small fifteen-year-old girl forcibly dragging an angry, protesting, dangerous-looking man through the streets of Avanthal. The events of the previous day had mostly been settled, but there was one thing that still didn't sit right with Alea. Banir had broken his nose, and she was not going to let him go until he had seen someone who knew medicine. She could tell the day was going to be a struggle, mostly because Banir always wore a scarf over his face. Ever since she'd met him, she had noticed his aversion to having his face be seen. Either he was going to overcome that aversion, or this was going to be a VERY long day.

When she'd gotten him just outside the Whitevine healing center, she rounded on Banir and said sternly, "I don't care what your pride says about you being able to handle a broken nose. I will not have any friends of mind wandering around without taking proper care of themselves!" With that, she dragged her protesting friend through the doors. When she saw the first available healer, her determination faltered somewhat. She hadn't spoken to Oluse since they'd...reunited...at the stables over twenty days previously. She still hadn't forgiven him, so she halted, waiting for someone else to make the first move.
Alea Davenport
Wielder of Obfuscated and Circuitous Logic

Words: 477755
Joined roleplay: October 28th, 2011, 10:54 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Guest Storyteller (1)
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on January 18th, 2012, 11:58 pm

'Today is not a good day'

This was foremost thought running through Banir's mind. It was bad enough he had gone through the embarrassment of breaking his nose the day before. But by comparison this was far worse. Banir was not the man of greatest pride, neither was he a coward though. And he was most certainly not a child after being alive for thirty eight years. Yet this didn't stop his rage from boiling, causing him to break several things on the way to the healing center. Though what may have been bugging him more than anything would be the fact he'd have to reveal his face. This pissed him off to no end and he had yet to even remove his hood.

Once he was forced into the Healing center the two hundred and twenty seven pound man simply slumped. He made sure that if he was going down he'd go down with a fight. Unhappily leaning against a wall his eyes almost twitching in irritation. Half heartily glaring at Alea but soon stopped as he noticed she was having trouble speaking to the man. This confused him considering she never really paused to talk. Sighing as he felt the weight of being a good person silently stab him in his chest. Slowly he walked up beside her and spoke.

"Hello, I require, medical aid" His gruff voice barely heard and almost dripping with regret. Banir hated the feeling he had, yet the more he thought of it the more it began to make sense. Alea was somehow concerned for him. He felt almost obligated to do this considering she was helping him, or trying to at least. But the one thought that came back to him was 'why should she even care?'
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Words: 218834
Joined roleplay: August 13th, 2011, 3:33 am
Blog: View Blog (3)
Race: Mixed blood
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Oluse on January 19th, 2012, 9:04 am

In interior of the Whitevine Healing Center competed in luxury with the holds themselves. The air lay thick with the complicated aroma of not only herbal remedies but the thick scent of quality food. Oluse stood in the large open lobby offering a bowl of this scrumptious mana to a patient, who was enjoying the foyer's large fireplace cropped with heavy stone. Oluse was gentle and personal with his speech, seeming to be just ending a conversation characterized by a loose tone of mere acquaintances but an unabashed will to serve from Oluse.

When finished Oluse stood from beside the patient sat upon the comfortable furniture before the fire, and turned to tend to other duties. He froze a moment when he saw the two, his eyes shooting around to check for any Icewatch near by. As always one stood by the door, relaxed but ever alert. He was less worried for himself then he was for Alea if she became violent within the center. She could, after all, be oh so childish and unaware of her surroundings.

Oluse had been working at the Healing Center for several seasons by then, however, and his habitual greeting spilled forth from his mouth before he even registered it coming. As if some command triggered by the large man's words. "Of course. My name is Oluse, and I will do my best to help you any way I can. If you would like to tell me what's been bothering you," his eyes scanned over the man not seeing anything particularly wrong with him, besides a slight favor to one leg from an old injury on the opposite, "I will do my best to help any way I can. If you would prefer we could go into a private room to discuss this." He was rather prone to the idea, not wanting Alea to embarrass him at work. And to that thought he realized the oddity of the sight. The man with his young friend towered above both of them, and seemed very feral! Who was he? Oluse decided on body guard, and pushed the thought aside. The only thing that mattered is he was assumedly a patient. A very intimidating patient.

He wasn't sure what was going on, but he had the feeling it was going to be a very interesting session.
Oluse
Player

Words: 295106
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on January 20th, 2012, 2:52 am

Alea let Oluse usher them into a private room, that was the extent of her acknowledging his existence. She led Banir by him non-clawed hand, quietly encouraging him in a tone she might use with a frightened horse. Once inside the room, there was a moment of terribly awkward silence.

Finally, Alea said gently, "Banir, I know how you feel about revealing your face," an image of a splintered tree accompanied by sounds of extreme violence flashed through her mind, "but if you don't take the scarf off, we won't be able to heal your nose, and then it'll probably hurt for a long time." Logic always appealed to people, right? Alea was also extremely curious as to why he hid his face - she'd been curious about it since the day she'd met him - but she tactfully failed to mention that ulterior motive for getting him medical treatment.

She looked around the small room, seeing what looked like it might be a table or a bed, as well as a couple chairs off to one side. The room was small, so she was unable to avoid meeting Oluse's gaze, but when their eyes met, she just narrowed hers and looked away.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on January 20th, 2012, 3:30 am

Banir entered the room but got nervous at seeing its size, if worst did come to worst then he hoped they could escape him. Curiosity soon claimed him as he looked around. He had never been to such a place of healing before. Wonder struck him more than anything as he walked about looking at things or opening them and inspecting the contents. It was strange to see such a large and rather brutish man shifting through the all the various objects in the room. He looked at the table shifting his head in his hood thinking why they had such a thing. When he heard the door close he felt his heart rate quicken. Standing up and looking down at the young healer. His mind raced trying to find something that would avoid his face. He then realized what happened yesterday. In his graveled voice he cut the awkward silent air.

"I have, a pain in my legs, from over exertion. It's causing me troubles." That was the best he had, it wasn't a full lie either his legs did still hurt like someone had burnt his legs. He leaned on the table slowly putting his weight on it. The table slowly groaned under his weight. The dirty green of his coat an odd contrast to the clean surroundings it was set against. The metal adorning his body even more so considering all the scratches and small dents in them. He was going through a cold sweat as he glanced from under his hood his rage filled eyes shifting between the two. In his mind he heard a soothing voice one that was not his own. 'Easy Banir, easy Alea is trying to help and the healer is innocent. No need to worry.' The voice calmed him a little but his muscles where still tense and he still was forming images of smashing in both their faces into the wall. Visibly he was almost he shook lightly in fear of Alea taking a far more direct approach to showing what she thought was the real injury.
"Where life leads me, is where I shall go. The greater question is, who is willing to accompany me on such a long travel?"
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Oluse on January 20th, 2012, 4:16 am

Oluse watched the man calmly as he perused the room, looking in ceramic jars of pastes, and starting into a display of dozens of glass vials full of an assortment of infusions. The room itself was large, standing well over even Banir's head, as all the rooms on the first floor were. Within the room stood a heavy wooden table, with thick strong legs finished with a dark tinting. The table was cleared, and around it sat two simple chairs. An ornately carved desk with neatly stacked papers, a bookshelf full of not just books but various Vantha trinkets, a chest of medical instruments, and a display case full of herbal remedies stood respectively about the room in a pleasing arrangement. The large case sat closed, to conceal some of the more intimidating looking instruments from the sight of patience that did not understand their purposes. But other than that the entire room felt open, and straight forward. An ambiance of privacy, and safety permeated the air about them. The entire building was undoubtedly a true place of healing.

"I apologize for the room. They are refurnishing the better adorned counsel rooms at the moment, so we will just have to speak in here. Though, I have more supplies here anyway, so it works better in a way." He notified the two as he passed the threshold before them. The door closed, and he moved toward the chairs as he listened to the two speak, giving a slightly confused look to Alea as she spoke, still not understanding why she was there. Still her input seemed useful. Oluses lips mouthed Banir's name as Alea spoke it, wondering why the man didn't introduce himself. He figured it was because Banir must feel nervous, supposedly about having to uncover his face. And, as Banir gave forth his half truth Oluse raised an eyebrow, but nodded a moment later.

"Well, Banir. If you would like to pull yourself up onto the table, or sit down in one of the chairs, it might help take some stress of your leg. You'll want to keep as much weight off of it as possible as it heals. The creaking can be offputting, but the table won't break." He gave a kind smile and a nod. "Alea, if you'd like to take a seat, feel free..." He felt awkward having her there. Not only because of Banir's discomfort but his own guilt. He had meant to go back and see her after their reunion, he just hadn't found the time. Nor the courage. Despite his discomfort the work environment gave him a convenient script to follow. He didn't have to be Oluse, the awkward kid from Danval at the center, he could be an herbalist, a servant of the wounded, a doctor, a medic, or just an attendant. Anything but Oluse, the awkward kid from Denval.

In response to Banir's comment he said kindly, not wanting to blatantly disregard his words, "Over exertion is easy enough to remedy. Time will heal it, but I can put together a simple oil blend of Valerian and Yarrow for you to apply till it does so. I would like to take a look at it before you go to make sure you didn't injure it, however." He did love the seemingly endless supply of herbs the Center held at all times, even in the dead of winter, but he tried his best to remain aware of his patient's coin purses, and trying to always use the cheapest of remedies.

He glanced at Alea, and thought of her comment on Banir's face, then looked attentively back to Banir. "And, I will show you how to keep those cuts clean before you go, if you have the time. Is there any other injuries you'd like to tell me about? And if you don't mind, it would help to hear the story of what exactly happened to cause them." His eyes shifted slightly to Alea, opening the question up to her as much as Banir. He had the feeling Banir wasn't going to become comfortable with the situation any time soon, and if it took Alea to get the information Oluse was more than happy to accept it. He always had respected Alea's ability to gather the information she felt was important, a skill Oluse always struggled at.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on January 20th, 2012, 7:05 am

Alea had to make a conscious effort to keep from slapping her forehead with her palm. That was the most transparent excuse for dodging a question she had ever scene. It wouldn't normally bother her, except it was preventing Banir from getting the healing he needed.

She declined taking the seat that Oluse offered. Aside from the fact that she was avoiding speaking to him, she was also too tense to sit. Of course, then the jerk had to go and ask her a question that she knew Banir wouldn't answer himself. She was rapidly becoming fed up with the both of them. "He was chasing a horse on foot, then he tripped and fell on his face, which broke him nose. But for some reason, he refuses to let anyone see his face." Crossing her arms, she once more directed her dialogue solely at Banir, "So apparently whatever's wrong with you is so terrible that you'd rather have a crooked nose for the rest of your life than reveal it to two people in private."
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Postby Banir Ironwood on January 20th, 2012, 8:41 am

Banir could feel it in his body, the burning pain, the violent desire. His muscles tensed and prepared for a coming rage. The symtoms where becoming evedent. Body shaking from growing emotion, shorter breaths, loss of focus, he could hear his heart beating faster. He needed to calm himself somehow a hand slowly reached out to a chair for support. Grabbing the back of it he held onto it gently but when Alea spoke those final words. There was a sudden crack as his fist had crushed the wood held in his grasp. Splinters fell to the fine floor as a few dug into his right hand. It drew little blood and he didn't even seem to acknoledge the pain. He had to take slow deep breaths to try and calm down. His gruff voice had a growing harsh tone to it, like a storm was aproaching.

"My face shall be fine. We are heading to Mura after all, me specifically to get, a specialized healing." He didn't want to be rude but he needed short answers. Something to get a point across, his breaths where becoming longer. He wasn't calm yet but his rage was being curbed slowly if he could just keep his temper. This wouldn't do he needed another reason otherwise Alea would push him again. Or worse the healer would insist and then. 'Easy, stay calm, they only want to help. There is no need to harm them.' The voice again, not his own, it was soft and gentle. He snapped out of his thoughts looking around the room. Sweat rolled down his body.

"Just let me, get that thing for my fatigue." Banir looked at both of them his eyes ready to spark rage. His eyes where easy to see and some details of his face. One of the scars that cut deep into his nose was almost visable as he looked at them. The force behind them almost leathal. The right hand that had crushed the back of the wooden chair was covered in a deadly iron claw. The metal glinting in the light of the room, clatering with each movement he made. His breathing was steady but it was shorter than it should have been. It was moments like this that never defined Banir. It was acting more like the brute he looked like, he didn't like it but his rage. He wanted to be polite and nice, a good person, but his rage had controlled him for years.
Banir Ironwood
The silent disgrace

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Oluse on January 20th, 2012, 4:26 pm

Oluse's mind drifted horribly while Alea spoke, his senses focusing in on his patient. Banir's breath had altering, and his eyes shifted in a complex fashion. From seasons treating Vantha Oluse had learned to watch the eyes carefully, and Banir's did not bode well. The grating sound of metal against wood churned Oluse's stomach. His patient's muscles were contracting, his eyes altering do a complicated hue. Oluse realized the physical reactions as adrenaline. Something was scaring him horribly, or getting him worked up some how. He first suspected some sort of drug, but he was showing coherent response time to verbal input, and a willingness to fight his urges. No, there was something Oluse didn't understand at work here.

To Banir's restricted words, squeezed from between gritted teeth Oluse nodded very slowly. "Nobody is going to force you to reveal anything here you do not want to, Banir." His voice was soft, none threatening and ernest. It was clear by Oluse's steady eyes, fixed on Banir's that he realized Banir was struggling, and this concerned Oluse. His eyes did not shift to Alea this time, his complete attention remained on his patient.

He gave Banir a short moment to register his words before he continued. "I'll mix up the oil now, but I need you to tell me somethings first, for your own safety. Ok?" With the slightest confirmation he continued to ask, "Do you have any allergies? And, are you currently using any other drugs?" Oluse felt a constricting in his stomach, deep inside, near the base of his spine. A muscle he literally didn't know existed, but it was responding to the tension in the room with alert stiffness. He considered leaving the room to mix the remedy, or asking Alea to leave. It was clinic protocol to summon the Icewatch the moment one feels violence might become a problem. Oluse didn't, however. What he saw in Banir's eyes was not just anger, he saw pain. Oluse wanted to remedy this pain, wanted to help him on his own, without the Icewatch. He wanted to show Banir trust, and unwavering care.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Alea Davenport on January 21st, 2012, 12:41 am

Alea almost didn't care how angry Banir was getting. He was pretty much always shaking, and Alea was pretty upset with him herself. However, she'd pushed him into lashing out once before, so she knew that was a possibility, and as she looked around the room, she did not trust herself to be able to find cover this time, plus there was Oluse to consider. While she mind not mind seeing him get hurt at the moment, she preferred to dot he damage herself.

After pacing the room a few times and running her hands through her hair in agitation, she finally stopped and looked Banir directly in the eyes. "In that case, we'll just have to get you to Mura." A grin of determination was forming on her face. "I'll let you off the hook for today, but this isn't over."

Then she turned to Oluse. He still hadn't apologized to her, or even really shown interest in why she was angry with him, but for once she had something more important than petty grudges to worry about. Gritting her teeth, she said to him, "I'm going to need your help with this." If she was going to make the trip to Mura happen, she'd need to put aside more than one petty grudge, and there were limits to how much self-control she could handle on her own.
Alea Davenport

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Overlored (1) Donor (1)

Next