(Flashback) Familiar Things: Part I

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role playing forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A city floating in the center of a lake, Ravok is a place of dark beauty, romance and culture. Behind it all though is the presence of Rhysol, God of Evil and Betrayal. The city is controlled by The Black Sun, a religious organization devoted to Rhysol. [Lore]

Postby Javial Kripsin on January 21st, 2012, 8:00 am

81st day of Summer, 507 AV

The brilliant flame of the sun shown downward, casting shadows amongst the shore of the grand lake where Ravok stood. The time was set, the place was set, all Javial had to do was wait for his contact. This particular meeting was unlike many that had transpired before. While the olive skinned man was no stranger to doing business with many a different person, this particular man was a mage, much like Javial. Javial kept his arcanic knowledge as best a secret as he could, always going far enough to ensure he utilized his magics covertly as possible. His chosen branch, Hynotyism was well suited for such pursuits, needing neither the incantations of flash of magics like Voiding or Reimancy. Although Javial was about to second guess his meeting, his contact showed up soon enough.

The man, Ilkraz was his name, although he had a tendency to go by ‘Ilk’. His robes seemed appropriate for his station, and made his shoulders more broad, and his frame more defined than it would otherwise be without such fabric based accents. His head was clean shaven, the light reflecting brilliantly from the hairless dome he kept, and a few wrinkles lined his face. In his left arm he carried a large basket, appearing to be suited for a picnic. Behind him trailed a small red fox, appearing completely disinterested in the entire ordeal, but following along none the less, possibly due to having no matters more pressing than this. Ilk raised his eyes, meeting Javial’s, and with a slight nod of his head he recognized the man.

Javial, as he often did when meeting a new business partner, extended his hand. Proper etiquette he found. His hand was prepared to receive the fellow mage’s, when Ilk spoke up, “Ah, just a wave is fine. I’d appreciate you not touching me, thank you. Nothing against you of course, I’m not saying you’re dirty, or anything. I’d just prefer to keep certain things at arms reach. I’m not saying you’re a thing, or anything.”

“Right…” Javial lowered his hand slightly, turning into a slow, awkward wave before bringing it back to his side. Was this what he was to become after a life of magic? The information broker didn’t even wish to think about it. “…well then, here is the information you requested.” With his previous avoided hand he reached into his coat pocket and removed a piece of folded parchment, thrusting it outward toward Ilk, whom had already taken to removing a large cloth from his basket. Apparently it was a picnic basket!
Javial Kripsin
Business as Usual

Words: 48146
Joined roleplay: January 12th, 2012, 4:40 am
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Javial Kripsin on January 21st, 2012, 8:02 am

As Ilk moved his blanket to the ground, smoothing it out carefully into place the fox sat upon its haunches, licking its paws idly before flopping over onto its side. “Just lay it on the blanket, if you would. I’m not saying I don’t appreciate it, or anything. I’d just prefer to keep it on the blanket for the moment. Now then, down to business…” although he mentioned such things, Ilk removed a sandwich from his basket, and began to eat, bringing it to his mouth as he lowered himself down upon the blanket, folding his robes beneath his knees.

Javial felt it appropriate to wait a moment in order to see if there was anything more. A request. A recognition. Anything!? Finally with a loud, audible sound of his throat clearing he brought up, “The Summoning? Shall we be getting to it then? I’m sure you’ll find the information worth it. It’s not too difficult is it, I’ve never had such a knowledge of Summoning, myself.” He remained on his feet, the entire awkwardness of this mage made it difficult to determine just what proper etiquette to use.

“Right, the Summoning. I don’t Summon on an empty stomach. Not that I’m saying I couldn’t, or anything. Helps with the focus, is all. I’d offer you some, but I only brought enough for one. I wasn’t sure what you enjoyed, and my cooking is not all that good. In truth this is a bit dry.” He commented, turning the sandwich about in his hand, as if he was inspecting it. Then he removed the top layer of bread, searching beneath. Yes, he was actually inspecting it. “Perhaps I shouldn’t have purchased this…”

“Wait, you didn’t make it…you bought it? Why…actually never mind. I don’t want to know. Just tell me how the Summoning will work, and what I will need to do.” Javial readjusted his collar slightly, trying to maintain his professional, business like attitude. His contacts had told him that Ilkraz was skilled in the ways of Familiary and Summoning, no wonder they had left out any further details.
Javial Kripsin
Business as Usual

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Javial Kripsin on January 21st, 2012, 8:03 am

“Yes of course. Now then, down to business…” Ilk replied, much as he had when they had first met. In fact the words he used were exactly the same. The similarities were such that Javial was dreading what was next, but it seemed Ilk was prepared to get down to the point, finally. “…I will prepare the circle, and then Ulnix will scout for you an appropriate familiar. It may take a bit to find an appropriate familiar, but do leave it to Ulnix. Though he has a tendency to be forgetful sometimes, he will not go between worlds for the same person more than five times.” The main explained as the nearly forgotten fox began to crumble down toward the ground, literally falling into a pile of dust. With a firm breeze it blew away before swirling upward into a cloud of red mist.

Javial was becoming excited now; things were beginning to go specifically as planned. Questions were getting answered, the wheels were turning, it was just a matter of keeping this Ilk on target. “Excellent, five times. I’m sure I will find something suitable by then. How is the circle made, how long does it take?” his queries went further than that, but he was starting to get a feel for this Ilk. Only a few questions at a time, he decided. Best to keep things simple and direct, which seemed to be the kind of man this Ilk was. No matter what type of social situation Javial had been confronted with, he knew a proper man of social etiquette had to seize the conversation. Never be outclassed; never be at a loss for words. Control the flow, keep the pacing.

Ilk packed what was left of his sandwich into his basket and removed his blanket from the ground. To Javial’s surprise in the area where the blanket had been covering there was now a large, elaborate circle drawn upon the ground. When in the world had Ilk drawn it? With what had he drawn it? Things were becoming more and more odd. Inside he made sure to keep his calm, don’t let anything seem out of place, he told himself. It’s all for the sake of the business venture.

“Astral Coordinates 6701984710485453. And away we go.” The mist cloud spoke up finally, as Ilk took a small eating knife from his picnic basket and nicked his forefinger. Dipping his finger upon the ground a great power flowed from the Mage into the circle, causing the drawn indentations to glow brilliantly before the ground changed right before Javial’s eyes. It was incredible, so this was the power of Summoning. All at once Ulnix disappeared, dipping downward into a strange surface that had literally become the ground, a swirling vortex, fluid in nature. It was almost as if they were at sea, and a maelstrom had appeared right before them.
Javial Kripsin
Business as Usual

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Javial Kripsin on January 21st, 2012, 8:04 am

A short time later Ulnix appeared with what appeared to be a smaller version of itself. It was a similar cloud, the same coloration. They both rose upward from the watery surface of mystic power, the ripples flowing outward at their arrival. “Heeeey brother, long time no see. What’s going on?” the smaller smoke cloud asked, it was appearing as if the two Avavali were completely ignoring the two Humans waiting at the outside of the circle.

“Oh you know, floating around. Hey, Ulzix, you wanted to get off that rock right? I’ve got just the ticket, there’s a guy here looking for a familiar. I don’t remember his name, but he’s the one looking all disheveled.” Ulnix spoke, its voice seeming to eminate from somewhere within its cloud-like form.

“Disheveled?” Javial’s eyes narrowed, taking a piece of polished steel from his overcoat so that he could see his own reflection. His hair was straight and in place, and his facial hair was perfectly shaped, what was going on here?

“Yes, you really should get a hair cut.”
It made an effort to elaborate, before completely changing the subject, “This is my brother, Ulzix. I think he would make a great familiar, though I can’t remember exactly why.”

Javial had already completely decided against such a thing in his head, but he decided it best to humor the Avavali. “Of course. Well then Ulzix, I am Javial, and as you understand I am looking for a prospective familiar. I am involved in trading and bartering, gathering information mostly. It’s a lucrative business and stands to make us both very wealthy. Tell me about Avavali and yourself, so that I may understand your capabilities.”
Javial Kripsin
Business as Usual

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Javial Kripsin on January 21st, 2012, 8:06 am

Meanwhile it seemed the two Avavali were involved in some kind of conversation, “And this Sarawanki was like ‘No way’ it was hilarious. You should have been there.” It spoke to Ulnix before ‘turning’ toward Javial and addressing his question. “Right, this is my chance to show my stuff. I’m going to be totally focused. Ok, so I’m Ulzix…”

“He knows that…” Ulnix interjecting briefly, leaving his brother to continue onward with his own attempts at swaying Javial’s thoughts toward a Avavali partner.

“And my brother and I are known as Avavali. So, basically we’re the best ever, because we’re totally invulnerable. See? Go ahead, try to cut me, stab at me. Actually no don’t stab at me. Why shouldn’t you, you ask? Do you think I’m afraid? No, it’s because as my future partner I wouldn’t want you to waste your energy. So we’re thoughtful as well as fearless. Our bodies are ever shifting as well, able to spread out incredibly thin, or come together tightly enough to even cause damage.” The Avavali went on, as Ilk mostly spent his time gathering up his things and making sure that everything re-entered the picnic basket just as it had come out.

Ulnix seemed to be pleased with his brother’s responses to the questions, although clearly as he was a cloud of mist there wasn’t much of a way to visibly show his approval. He could voice it however, “Excellent work, full points Ulzix, clearly a paragon of an Avavali. Don’t forget to tell him we’re totally invulnerable, that’s quite an important point to make.”

“I said that, Ulnix, pay attention please, this is my time to shine, after all. Oh, before I forget though, we’re also able to come together tightly enough to even cause damage.” The smaller Avavali mentioned, yet again.
Javial Kripsin
Business as Usual

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Javial Kripsin on January 21st, 2012, 8:07 am

It was becoming incredibly clear to Javial that there was no way under the Gods of Mizahar that such a pairing would ever work. If there was a creature that could get along with Ilk, then certainly there had to be one that could work well enough with an intelligent, reasonable, professional man. Hopefully. As easily as Javial could let the creature down, he had to finally voice his rejection, “Right, well, I’m sure you’ll make somebody a fine familiar one day, however I don’t believe we have anything in common. At all. In fact, we may very well be polar opposites. I wish you well in your future search.”

The sigh of Ulzix could be heard by all parties, clearly he was not happy with this conclusion, hoping that this day was the day he could live a life under the sun, moon, and stars of Mizahar. Oh well. Quickly he turned the tables around, claiming no particular foul of Javial, going so far as to insist that it was he whom was rejecting Javial, “It’s too bad, but I’m afraid I’m going to have to deny you as my partner. I’m unable to find the will to bond with someone so disheveled. No offense. Ulnix, it was good seeing you brother, just make sure the next partner you send my way gets a haircut, alright?”

As the two Avavali said their goodbyes, Ulzix absorbed back into the ground through the liquid portal that had been previously created leaving the pre-existing trio alone. Ilk disassembled the portal and freed Ulnix, taking the time to mention, “I’m sure things will go better next time. I’ve got a few things to do, so let’s make sure to try this tomorrow, same time, same place. It will give you the time to get your hair cut, should you feel inclined.” The bald man made sure to remind Javial of that important tidbit, leaving the Sunberthian silently seething.

Composure. It was something Javial was clinging to. He could do this; it would just take some effort, no problem. Upon the next day he would be certain to mention the things he was looking for in an appropriate familiar, to stop any potential…reoccurrence of what had just happened. “Very well, I shall meet you here on this day. I will come better prepared with my expectations of a familiar, so that Ulnix has more substance to go on during his search. I’m sure we will find an amicable conclusion to our business; I’m always willing to work hard until both parties are satisfied. Good day to you and Ulnix.” Javial said in order to conclude their meeting, willing enough to try a second time on a new day.
Javial Kripsin
Business as Usual

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Lazybones on January 23rd, 2012, 2:21 am

Thread Complete!

Notes:Love your characterization. Not that I want to marry them, or anything, I just enjoyed them, is all.

Javial
Award :
Skills: Negotiation +1, Investigation +1, Intelligence +1, Familiary +3

Lores: Ilkraz is Weird, Witnessing a Summon, Mischievous Avavali
I am a friendly fascist. I am a tyrant that you should trust. And you should let me run your life, because I do know what is best for you.

RavokBlack SunEbonstryfeRhysolThe VoiceRavok IC
Lazybones
Could be wrong, should be right.

Words: 80514
Joined roleplay: January 10th, 2012, 9:56 pm
Race: Staff account
Office