[Zeltiva] Domain Development: Let's Build Zeltiva Together

A community effort to create new locations and NPC's for Zeltiva.

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy role play forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

Center of scholarly knowledge and shipwrighting, Zeltiva is a port city unlike any other in Mizahar. [Lore]

[Domain Development] Let's Build Zeltiva Together

Postby Jarah Sulayman on February 13th, 2012, 3:57 pm

i was informed by Paragon to stick to 50 or 60 points so confused me wasn't sure if that meant for each skill or total lol reason I said I am sure he can fiddle with it.
Jarah Sulayman
Player

Words: 18837
Joined roleplay: February 11th, 2012, 4:55 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Avari on February 13th, 2012, 4:15 pm

I like it! The amount of detail and depth that you've integrated into the location and the NPC is really impressive. This location is so appropriate for Zeltiva too, considering its preoccupation with food and lack thereof. I also like the touch that the stock house only opens to the Head Chef and his assistant; I can already foresee a doomed attempt to steal food from the University for Avari coming up. :) I'm not entirely sure about the garden and animal farm being on the university grounds, but that's probably Paragon's call.

Here are some small grammatical corrections I might recommend for the text of the location, in bold:

Cafeteria Hall :
While many of the students and staff members often prefer to dine in their private quarters while studying over spells or lessons, the University does have a building that is centrally located within the campus grounds and thus serves as the Cafeteria Hall where most of the main meals are served to those with empty bellies and hungry salivating mouths. This building is often kept open due to the urging of the Head Chef Master, the man who essentially functions as the Headmaster of the University’s kitchens. No matter what the time of day, if someone is hungry they can always find a plate or bowl filled with hot nourishment to satisfy their hunger, and drinks to quench their thirsts.

The Cafeteria Hall is a long rectangular building that was crafted with grand bricks while the inside is elegantly decorated with hand-carved wooden beams and white-painted walls and ceilings. The flooring is parquet wood from the local forest near the city. At one end is a large fireplace to help heat the hall during the winter, while dotted along the walls are large paned doors that serve as windows, which are often opened during the spring and summer to allow in the warm refreshing breezes. Overhead hangs the hand-crafted chandeliers with three rings of candles (which have to be lit magically, or upon a very tall ladder) making them appear like miniature black iron pine trees. In addition, the wall sconces hold torches that are set ablaze during the darkness of night or during storms that darken the daytime skies.

The hall has a few long tables with benches on either side that have been positioned near the fireplace and on either side of the main entrance, while down the middle are a series of round circular tables designed to accommodate group seatings of up to eight people. However the more that sit at the round tables, the more crowded it is, so oftentimes only four or five people will sit at these tables. Also along the walls between the window paned doors are the tables that hold the main plates that come from the University’s Main Kitchen, loaded with different dishes, and even a few tables that hold the different drinks the Head Chef Master offer the school.

The Main Kitchen :
Off behind the Cafeteria Hall building is a slightly smaller building with a thatched roof, the home of not only the Head Chef Master but also the Main Kitchen of the University where the more elaborate meals are prepared under the watchful eye and hands of Head Chef Master Dave. While the school does offer smaller kitchens among the community dorms of the students, this is the only kitchen that actually houses the stock house where the food is stored when not being used to make another fine recipe.

The Main Kitchen is built entirely out of red oven fired bricks that help keep the building warm in the winter and cool in the summer time. The Kitchen also has large windows which can be open either completely or just the top portion. The brick flooring allows for the easier cleanup of any spills that might happen, the removal of blood and guts from animals being freshly butchered inside, or even help to keep the feet of the cooks and other servants warm during the winter days and nights.

The room is divided up into separate work areas and stations. There is the area for the preparation of vegetables and fruits, a station where the meat is prepped, a station for the bakers, and even a station for the washing of the dishes left over from the meals and prepping taking place every day. (The wash station is separated by a wall with a wooden frame window so dishes can be passed from the kitchen to the wash area).

Toward the south end of the build that serves as the Main Kitchen’s quarters is the stock house which is of course divided into two sections. The area for holding things like the meats and then the vegetable and fruit area, the Stock house can only be open by the touch of either the Head Chef Master or his top assistant in the morning before any of the workers arrive for the start of the day. This is to keep thieves out of the stock that is often very limited in its amount already.

Finally behind the end of the building that serves as the Head Chef Master’s living quarters (nothing more than a small apartment with a cot bed, a small dresser for clothing, a wash basin, two chairs for a sitting area, and small bathroom), and the stock house is the garden and little farm. The garden is home to rows of vegetables and a few fruit trees, while the farm is nothing more than a few pens with small shelters for the chickens, pigs, a rabbit hutch, and a three stall barn holding three dairy cattle. These gardens and animals are often tended to by the lower level workers of the kitchen or even students that offer a helping hand toward the Head Chef Master.

Avari

"Everyone wants something... And when you know what a man wants you know who he is, and how to move him." - George R. R. Martin, A Storm of Swords
Avari
Insightful trickster

Words: 296184
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2011, 6:25 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Medals: 1
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Jarah Sulayman on February 13th, 2012, 6:33 pm

okay I made the grammar mistakes, thanks for the aid in that as I was never very good with that actually. so here's the edit form (minus the advanced skills points as I'm still unsure about that and will leave that up to Paragon)

The Cafeteria Hall

While many of the students and staff members often prefer to dine in their private quarters while studying over spells or lessons, the University does have a building that is centrally located within the campus grounds and thus serves as the Cafeteria Hall where most of the main meals are served to those with empty bellies and hungry salivating mouths. This building is often kept open due to the urging of the Head Chef Master, the man who essentially functions as the Headmaster of the University’s kitchens. No matter what the time of day, if someone is hungry they can always find a plate or bowl filled with hot nourishment to satisfy their hunger, and drinks to quench their thirsts.

The Cafeteria Hall is a long rectangular building that was crafted with grand bricks while the inside is elegantly decorated with hand-carved wooden beams and white-painted walls and ceilings. The flooring is parquet wood from the local forest near the city. At one end is a large fireplace to help heat the hall during the winter, while dotted along the walls are large paned doors that serve as windows, which are often opened during the spring and summer to allow in the warm refreshing breezes. Overhead hangs the hand-crafted chandeliers with three rings of candles (which have to be lit magically, or upon a very tall ladder) making them appear like miniature black iron pine trees. In addition, the wall sconces hold torches that are set ablaze during the darkness of night or during storms that darken the daytime skies.

The hall has a few long tables with benches on either side that have been positioned near the fireplace and on either side of the main entrance, while down the middle are a series of round circular tables designed to accommodate group seatings of up to eight people. However the more that sit at the round tables, the more crowded it is, so oftentimes only four or five people will sit at these tables. Also along the walls between the window paned doors are the tables that hold the main plates that come from the University’s Main Kitchen, loaded with different dishes, and even a few tables that hold the different drinks the Head Chef Master offer the school.

The Main Kitchen

Off behind the Cafeteria Hall building is a slightly smaller building with a thatched roof, the home of not only the Head Chef Master but also the Main Kitchen of the University where the more elaborate meals are prepared under the watchful eye and hands of Head Chef Master Dave. While the school does offer smaller kitchens among the community dorms of the students, this is the only kitchen that actually houses the stock house where the food is stored when not being used to make another fine recipe.

The Main Kitchen is built entirely out of red oven fired bricks that help keep the building warm in the winter and cool in the summer time. The Kitchen also has large windows which can be open either completely or just the top portion. The brick flooring allows for the easier cleanup of any spills that might happen, the removal of blood and guts from animals being freshly butchered inside, or even help to keep the feet of the cooks and other servants warm during the winter days and nights.

The room is divided up into separate work areas and stations. There is the area for the preparation of vegetables and fruits, a station where the meat is prepped, a station for the bakers, and even a station for the washing of the dishes left over from the meals and prepping taking place every day. (The wash station is separated by a wall with a wooden frame window so dishes can be passed from the kitchen to the wash area).

Toward the south end of the build that serves as the Main Kitchen’s quarters is the stock house which is of course divided into two sections. The area for holding things like the meats and then the vegetable and fruit area, the Stock house can only be open by the touch of either the Head Chef Master or his top assistant in the morning before any of the workers arrive for the start of the day. This is to keep thieves out of the stock that is often very limited in its amount already.

Finally behind the end of the building that serves as the Head Chef Master’s living quarters (nothing more than a small apartment with a cot bed, a small dresser for clothing, a wash basin, two chairs for a sitting area, and small bathroom), and the stock house is the garden and little farm. The garden is home to rows of vegetables and a few fruit trees, while the farm is nothing more than a few pens with small shelters for the chickens, pigs, a rabbit hutch, and a three stall barn holding three dairy cattle. These gardens and animals are often tended to by the lower level workers of the kitchen or even students that offer a helping hand toward the Head Chef Master.

NPC :
Name: Head Chef Master Devindaher
Age/Birthdate: 60 years old, 47th Day of Fall in the year of 451 AV
Skills (though I’m sure these can be made higher to fit with his age and station at the University)
• Brewing – 30/100
• Food Preservation – 50/100
• Cooking – 50/100
• Philtering – 45/100
• Leadership - 45/100
• Organization - 45/100
• Negotiation - 40/100
• Gardening - 35/100

Personality:
Head Chef Master Dave Devindaher (known around the campus as Master Dave) is every bit as tough as his age-weathered facial features make him appear. While not cold-hearted, he drives a tight ‘ship’ in the kitchens of the University. His tone is deep and conveys the strength that time and knowledge has given him. He is a taskmaster and always makes sure those serving under him are busy working on something, be it manning the ovens and stoves to preparing the ingredients for the daily dishes being served.

He even often takes time out to offer small tasks or jobs not only to people that he hires but also to students, such as tending the gardens that provide the vegetables and fruits or tending the chickens and other livestock (pigs, goats, a few cows).

Master Dave has a very kind heart, and when he notices one of his employees is in trouble, he is not above taking them into the gardens and speaking with them, offering the advice of an elder to many young minds, ears and hearts. The old man loves his job among the students and staff of the University. Even during days when he isn’t fit enough to oversee the duties in the main kitchen, the old Zeltivan can be seen wandering the grounds checking up on students to see if they might need an extra bit of food before bed or even dropping off some bread and soup to a student or staff member that is up late into the evening researching something. Because of this there are many rumors that Master Dave is actually nothing but a teddy bear in the body of a grizzly bear.

History:
The man that would become known among the many years of students and staff of Zeltiva’s University was born on the late night of the 47th of the season of the Fall in 451 AV.

The middle child gifted to a couple in Zeltiva, Devindaher grew up raised by a fisherman and his wife, who worked the days at her father’s and then her husband’s fishmonger's stall in the local fish market. Dave, as he was known to his friends and family, was a blessing after a battle with an illness nearly took the couple’s firstborn son Chandin, a thinner and less healthy child.

Devindaher was as different from his older brother as the night was to the day. A healthy if not overly fed child, he was often seen running around the market with the other children, laughing and even helping the women and elderly men that often worked the stalls that lined the market. However, Dave showed a unique love for the many flavors and foods that could be created by the art of cooking. Because of this love, as young Dave became a young man he took time out from his normal studies (basic education) to experiment in the kitchen that belonged to his mother.

At the age of 20, Dave set off to not only explore the coast of Mizahar but also to explore the vast culture and culinary differences of the port cities along the coast. He took a job aboard a small trader’s vessel as its cook, though Devindaher left the ship when they reached the city of Ahnatep. It was in this grand desert city that Dave developed most of his knowledge of cooking, food preservation and even brewing drinks, as well as a bit of philtering to aid in his recipes. Sadly his heart longed for home and so after fifteen years (he was 35 by then), Devindaher said goodbye to the golden sands of Ahnatep and returned home to the cerulean waters of Zeltiva.

Shortly after returning home, Dave took up a job at the University as a junior apprentice cook under the Head Chef Master at the time. Through hard work and dedication he quickly rose up to the rank as the Head Chef’s Assistant. Upon the passing of his former mentor, Devindaher became the new Head Chef Master of the University. In this position he has worked and will continue to work until Dira herself comes for him.
Last edited by Jarah Sulayman on February 13th, 2012, 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Jarah Sulayman
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Paragon on February 13th, 2012, 6:43 pm

Hello Zeltivans! My, you have been busy.

Jarah - this is fantastic, and so much detail. You're putting my own locations to shame. Boo, hiss! Thank you Avari for stepping in with the corrections, and Eridanus for the advice :) Sorry if it was unclear, I meant 50ish skill points PER skill, not total. As Eri said, public NPC's don't have the same limits as private player ones.

Feel free to make the adjustments, and well done, this is amazing!

Paragon
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Jarah Sulayman on February 13th, 2012, 7:06 pm

I made the adjustments on the skills, up the points and even added the skills Eri suggested along with a few extras I thought might be helpful. and you guys are actually making my blush, thank you and I'm glad you guys like the write up I was nervous about it while working on it.
Jarah Sulayman
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Oluse on February 13th, 2012, 7:11 pm

it really is amazing, Jarah you did well.

Now go make me Summoning labs. ^-^
Oluse
Player

Words: 295106
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Paragon on February 13th, 2012, 7:13 pm

Wonderful, wonderful, and more wonderful. I'll put it up as soon as I've got a free moment.

I'm so lucky to have such wonderful players in my domain :)
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Jarah Sulayman on February 13th, 2012, 7:23 pm

well once Jarah gets 'approved' I wouldn't mind helping out more around here :) as I do have a few ideas... on how to 'expand'
Jarah Sulayman
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

Postby Avari on February 13th, 2012, 8:22 pm

Hopefully it isn't too late to post this. Here are some more grammatical suggestions for the NPC's personality and history, which I somehow missed doing originally. (Man, this proofreading stuff is doing wonders for my word count, though apparently that has always been a bit buggy.) Nice writing; I especially liked the bit about leaving the golden sands of Ahnatep for the cerulean waters around Zeltiva. :)

NPC Personality :
Head Chef Master Dave Devindaher (known around the campus as Master Dave) is every bit as tough as his age-weathered facial features make him appear. While not cold-hearted, he drives a tight ‘ship’ in the kitchens of the University. His tone is deep and conveys the strength that time and knowledge has given him. He is a taskmaster and always makes sure those serving under him are busy working on something, be it manning the ovens and stoves to preparing the ingredients for the daily dishes being served.

He even often takes time out to offer small tasks or jobs not only to people that he hires but also to students, such as tending the gardens that provide the vegetables and fruits or tending the chickens and other livestock (pigs, goats, a few cows).

Master Dave has a very kind heart, and when he notices one of his employees is in trouble, he is not above taking them into the gardens and speaking with them, offering the advice of an elder to many young minds, ears and hearts. The old man loves his job among the students and staff of the University. Even during days when he isn’t fit enough to oversee the duties in the main kitchen, the old Zeltivan can be seen wandering the grounds checking up on students to see if they might need an extra bit of food before bed or even dropping off some bread and soup to a student or staff member that is up late into the evening researching something. Because of this there are many rumors that Master Dave is actually nothing but a teddy bear in the body of a grizzly bear.

History :
The man that would become known among the many years of students and staff of Zeltiva’s University was born on the late night of the 47th of the season of the Fall in 451 AV.

The middle child gifted to a couple in Zeltiva, Devindaher grew up raised by a fisherman and his wife, who worked the days at her father’s and then her husband’s fishmonger's stall in the local fish market. Dave, as he was known to his friends and family, was a blessing after a battle with an illness nearly took the couple’s firstborn son Chandin, a thinner and less healthy child.

Devindaher was as different from his older brother as the night was to the day. A healthy if not overly fed child, he was often seen running around the market with the other children, laughing and even helping the women and elderly men that often worked the stalls that lined the market. However, Dave showed a unique love for the many flavors and foods that could be created by the art of cooking. Because of this love, as young Dave became a young man he took time out from his normal studies (basic education) to experiment in the kitchen that belonged to his mother.

At the age of 20, Dave set off to not only explore the coast of Mizahar but also to explore the vast culture and culinary differences of the port cities along the coast. He took a job aboard a small trader’s vessel as its cook, though Devindaher left the ship when they reached the city of Ahnatep. It was in this grand desert city that Dave developed most of his knowledge of cooking, food preservation and even brewing drinks, as well as a bit of philtering to aid in his recipes. Sadly his heart longed for home and so after fifteen years (he was 35 by then), Devindaher said goodbye to the golden sands of Ahnatep and returned home to the cerulean waters of Zeltiva.

Shortly after returning home, Dave took up a job at the University as a junior apprentice cook under the Head Chef Master at the time. Through hard work and dedication he quickly rose up to the rank as the Head Chef’s Assistant. Upon the passing of his former mentor, Devindaher became the new Head Chef Master of the University. In this position he has worked and will continue to work until Dira herself comes for him.

Avari

"Everyone wants something... And when you know what a man wants you know who he is, and how to move him." - George R. R. Martin, A Storm of Swords
Avari
Insightful trickster

Words: 296184
Joined roleplay: August 10th, 2011, 6:25 pm
Race: Konti
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Plotnotes
Featured Thread (1)

Postby Jarah Sulayman on February 13th, 2012, 8:32 pm

Thanks again Avari I made the edits you suggested so now all Paragon has to do is copy and paste the coding and formatting when he adds it to the University link map.
Jarah Sulayman
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets

PreviousNext