[FLASHBACK] Incrimination (Oluse)

Of how Oluse came to leave Denval

(This is a thread from Mizahar's fantasy roleplay forums. Why don't you register today? This message is not shown when you are logged in. Come roleplay with us, it's fun!)

A village cut off from the rest of Mizahar by the Valterrian, slowly reestablishing contact with the outside world.

Postby Paragon on February 3rd, 2012, 12:36 pm

"No... No, you can't."

His grip tightened around the cup.

"But you can eradicate it."

Adarin suddenly calmed. It was like a hurricane stopping all at once, an eerie serenity replacing tempestuous words. He glanced at Pater, lowering his voice again. The man hadn't heard - busy with his salves and poultices.

"Blood, Oluse. Blood. You're a pureblood Denvali, and so it is your duty to help stem this poison tide."

And if we don't... the tide washes away those that don't resist. And that's not a world I want to live in.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Words: 448583
Joined roleplay: December 1st, 2011, 8:55 pm
Race: Staff account
Office
Scrapbook
Medals: 4
Featured Contributor (1) Donor (1)
One Thousand Posts! (1) Extreme Scrapbooker (1)

Postby Oluse on February 3rd, 2012, 5:29 pm

Oluse's question was met with unexpected force, and this overwhelmed him suddenly. His brow grew more turbulent as Darin's gale force words ripped through, and straight past him. Oluse admittedly missed the true gravity of the statement at first, his empathies shocked out of effectiveness by the sheer intensity of their nature.

Ultimately his head continued it's roll to it's side, and his searched eyes diverted, descended, and met with a particular knot upon the wooden comprised table before them both. His hands came from under the table, his unkempt nails digging into an uneven spot within the dark swirling knot. Just along the edge of the knot's realms he could see the unfocused tight of Adarin's threatening hand tighten around the neck of his ale, before quickly loosening. Oluse simply squinted into the darkness upon the table, as if looking straight into Syna herself. That which can never been seen directly, or that which he doesn't want to see.

His posture was distracted, and meek, as would his voice be when he spoke. His mind however, was present, and trying to decode what the older man was saying to him. Adarin seemed to feel threaten, this was clear to Oluse. He didn't know what poison Adarin spoke of, but Oluse could only imagine it had to somehow do with his feelings that Oluse wasn't solving the source of Denval's problems, but the result. Adarin also seemed reluctant to speak in front of Patar. Oluse gave the slightest suspicious look up toward his father, giving the unintended (and completely true) impression that he felt uncomfortable with this topic around him.

Oluse suddenly came to a decision in that moment, he would listen to Darin, under two conditions. His father could not be around, and Adarin had time to sober and think somewhat before the conversation. He did, however, dedicate himself in his entirety to to understanding what threatened Adarin so. The tone implied a danger not simply personal, but to all of Oluse's community. This was something the boy took seriously. But, Adarin's withheld nature on the topic confused him, scared him, as if his own father were an enemy.

Deliberately withholding eyes contact Oluse spoke in a very meek and quiet voice. "Adarin, I should go. Excuse me." He then quickly rose up, the chair vibrating nosily backward across the floor behind him. Not listening to any objection to his sudden departure he set a course directly for and past his father. Words to Oluse at that point only rewarded Adarin with a surprisingly focused expression and simple words from Oluse. His eyes seemed contemplative, and intensely excited. And in a tone unnecessarily truthful he said, "I will see you later, Sir."

Oluse bounded up the narrow stairway to the second floor where his and his sister's rooms were, and dove for his bed as if it would be some safe heaven from the emotions there were brewing inside of him. It wasn't. His mind stirred and darkened, folding deeper and deeper into himself. Little true thoughts accompanied the intense emotions in his mind, emotions that Adarin had impregnated into him. This was an area which Oluse was unaccustomed. His father had taught him the school of thought that belonged to a physician. Critical, insightful, physical. These emotions were none of these things, they ran deeper. Visceral, raw. And Oluse vowed he would piece through them no matter what it took. Adarin's words had scared Oluse, but he for the first time in longer than he could remember felt as if his existence, his choices, mattered.

Curlled in on himself, blankets wrapped crudely around him Oluse fell into an uncomfortable slumber, accompanied by a dream. A dream of the knot, mirroring the one in his stomach. Though in his dream it wasn't stationary, it churned and rotated, the center like a dark black pit to a storm. He felt rain around him, as he watched his finger twirl around the top of it, etching as they had earlier that night. The rain grew steadier, and the wind increased immeasurably as he realized the finger before him, dictating the spinng storm was not his own, but Adarin's. Oluse's eyes watered, as a feeling of great loss struck into him, and Oluse reached out for this hand, only to feel himself tumbling backward into what was no longer a knot upon a table but a true deadly storm.

The next morning he woke with a terrible start, his sister's worried face above him. He had lost his covers throughout the night, and not gotten up to stoke the fire as he usually did, being more sensitive to the cold than his siblings and parents. His skin was cold and stained with wet from sweat. It tasted of salt, like sea water, as Denvali sweat did. He had all but forgotten the dream from the night before, unable to recite it to his sister. He only felt that foreboding feeling in his stomach, and as a result the remainder of the day was miserable. He sat impatiently through school, and as it came to a close he took off into the snow as he had grown accustomed to doing after his meaningless classes.

He did not find himself wandering aimlessly that day, however. Instead he found himself directly before Adarin's place, staring at the door, the pit in his stomach growing deeper and stronger. Oluse squinted against the cold and his own fear with great reluctance before stepping forward and drawing his fist up, then applying three great knocks on the heavy wooden door. He would finish the conversation he had started the day before, this time in privacy, where his father couldn't stop Oluse, or Adarin.

oocI kinda think sometimes Oluse is mildly autistic... o.O
Srry for random scene change, it's just Oluse is really um... introverted. He can't process things quickly, and I wanted to show how much of an impact Adarin's words had on him outside of just a single drunken conversation. Hope you don't mind!
Oluse
Player

Words: 295106
Joined roleplay: December 30th, 2011, 1:45 pm
Race: Human
Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Medals: 1
Featured Character (1)

Postby Paragon on February 4th, 2012, 9:56 pm

Adarin had been sobered by Oluse's sudden retreat. He spoke to Pater for a while, but the words were meaningless. Sourly, he left, and headed home, falling asleep quickly. His dreams were ones of ambition, coated in black and gold.

He woke up late, and after rising from bed, there was a knock at the door. The sound was almost urgent. The drums beating in his head.

"They must go," he whispered half to himself, "they must."

He went to the door and opened it, surprised to see the young man, Oluse, standing there waiting for him. There was a restlessness to his expression. His eyes were tired, as if he had not slept well.

"Oluse," he said, forcing a smile, "to what do I owe the honour?"

The seed was growing.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Oluse on February 4th, 2012, 10:36 pm

Oluse looked up at the man, shivering against the cold slightly. Wrapping his arms around his center, both in defense against the elements and some unknown threat he felt he looked to the side a moment, gathering some resolve, then looked back. "I wanted to finish our conversation, Sir. I've been trying to work out what you meant by what you said yesterday, but I can't." His eyes shifted up and down the wide unkempt Denvali street, obviously feeling a bit uncomfortable, almost paranoid.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Paragon on February 6th, 2012, 10:08 pm

Oluse seemed worried. Unsure. Questions had been crowding his mind - that much was obvious.

"Come in, come in... It's gotten cold of late," Adarin said, eyeing the young man carefully as he entered his small house.

He guided him towards a seat, making a hot drink while considering his response. He sighed, an inevitability touching his words.

"We have to make our own destinies Oluse," he began, "you can't just sit by and let life drag you where it will."

He poured the steaming water slowly and methodically. Thought was always required before the spoken word. Words had an impact that many didn't realise.

"And life is dragging Denval in a very grave direction indeed. So many... so many beings have fallen from the sky of late. And foreigners, arriving on our shores from Sylira... from further afield. Omens, my friend. Omens."

Oluse looked uneasy, hugging himself, but not to shield his body from the cold.

"Does your father know you're here?"
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Oluse on February 6th, 2012, 10:51 pm

Oluse didn't feel any warmer as he passed through the threshold into Adarin's home. The toasted tea warmed his gut, however, and this eased his nerves slightly as he listened to Adarin's occult words. Oluse wasn't sure what sort of omens he spoke of, nothing Oluse had noticed. But, no, once Adarin had mentioned it Oluse did realize he felt something. The same something in his dreams, something dark and foreboding. He assumed perhaps that was of what Adarin spoke. Oluse had never considered Adarin a sage before that moment, but Oluse really felt that he could connect with the man now. Or rather that the man could connect to him. Adarin spoke to Oluse as if they knew one another. In Oluse's eyes nobody else understood him. This pushed Oluse to feel comfort in confiding in the man.

"He doesn't, no. I came here right after school let you, he probably thinks I'm just out like I usually am." He answered the question, but his mind was elsewhere. As soon as the answer left his lips he followed it with a jumble of words that had been queued impatiently to get out. "I think I've felt this. Well these omens you are talking about. When I sleep, and I wake up with these. Well, omens." His words were detached, scrambled from lack of planning. Oluse had never been one to plan, not his actions, not his words. "But, what does it mean? And what does it have to do with foreigners? Are they bringing omens to us?" Oluse looked absolutely puzzled by what sort of connection there could be, but also stuck on figuring it out with an unexplainable dedication. Oluse knew of Adarin's dislike for foreigners. This was something that never much bothered Oluse beings that he was native to Denval.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Paragon on February 7th, 2012, 10:20 am

OOCI think we need Adarin to somehow find out Oluse's mother is part Vantha, don't we?
"Oh, no, they don't bring omens. They bring peril and danger. They bring a tide of darkness that threatens to engulf our future."

Adarin watched Oluse carefully, the young man was coming to his side, he could feel it. But could he ever break the boy free from Pater's leash? Was there a way he could pluck him from his friends reach, and bring him into Sentinel. There were very few people left like Oluse. Soft, malleable. It would be possible to bend this boy to his will.

"You and I both like Denval, do we not? It is a glorious place. A proud place. We have always been self-governed, with a good splash of independence to boot. But the town is changing... and it is not to my liking. I'm building a group. A circle of friends, you could call it. We are planning for the future."
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Oluse on February 7th, 2012, 10:11 pm

oocWell I'm not sure if Oluse actually knows that tid-bit of info. Unless you think this runs smoother if he does. Otherwise he could learn it from Pater, or Oluses sisters. Or he could already know... I don't see any reason his plan can't already be underway. Actually he could learn directly from his mother as well, she doesn't have any reservations against mentioning it if it's brought up.

Oluse was actually a bit excited by this news. He wanted to believe there were more people just like him, a whole group that Adarin ran that saw what he saw, that could understand him. He wasn't without reservations, however, "Something I don't understand, though. What kind of plans could you have? Only Astrid can really make decisions for Denval. So will you be counseling in the captains hall, because," He paused a short moment almost embarrassed to voice his opinion, but decided to carry forth since he had already begun, "I don't think that will get you very far. Astrid has a clear idea of where Denval is going and nothing is going to change that." What he really meant is that no group ran by Adarin would change that. He knew Adarin's reputation around the Denvali. He was seen as an often overly proud man, who couldn't keep a clear mind. Oluse was beginning to see with time around Adarin that he was just misunderstood, in truth he seemed to see more than other people.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

Postby Paragon on February 9th, 2012, 10:25 am

Adarin bristled slightly at Oluse's words.

"As much as I hold the Captain in high regards, she is not strong enough for our future."

He looked into Oluse's eyes, wondering if he could see it. That which Pater had told him before. That which had set these wheels in motion. They were Denvali eyes, he was sure of it. But his blood... it could be too late.

"Sometimes, Oluse, we have to break away. My plans are close to my chest for the moment... but Denval will be all the stronger for it."

He swallowed. He could not keep stringing this along. The breaking was nigh.

"Your mother. What do you know of her lineage?"
Last edited by Paragon on February 9th, 2012, 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paragon
The Gordian Knot

Office
Scrapbook

Postby Oluse on February 9th, 2012, 4:20 pm

Oluse was following, engaged and intent, especially at his profession that he did not agree with the Captain's rule. The topic switching to that of his mother, however, derailed this focus again. Replaced with just an uncomfortable twinge in his gut.

His brow furrowed in thought for a long time, till he realized he actually knew nothing. He could recite his father's lineage, and hundreds of good Denvali stories of his ancestors, all the way back to the wake of the Valterian. He, however, could not think of one story of his mothers childhood, let alone her lineage. "Well, I." He paused, trying but failing to understand the implications of this, feeling a big embarrassed to admit. "I don't know. Mother never speaks of it. Is there something I should know? I know father's." He said the last as if it were some consolation, like he had really listened and they hadn't said, not that he was daft.
Oluse
Player

Character sheet
Storyteller secrets
Scrapbook
Featured Character (1)

PreviousNext